Author Topic: Healing the rift with the NeverTrump movement  (Read 14830 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Healing the rift with the NeverTrump movement
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
The onus of healing is upon the nominee, not the folks that are/were against him. As long as Trump and the Trumpite fanatics keep bashing his former opponents, they will continue to be #NeverTrump. Trump, to win 270 electoral votes will need all the support he can muster.  He might be even or slightly ahead of Hillary in the polls, but he trails Bernie by a bunch. Where he is ahead, he doesn't get 50%. Even then, he has a long road to hoe with the conservative side of the spectrum. As he gears up to run against Hillary or Bernie, he seems to be moving even further to the left on most of his issues. So much for healing.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2016, 04:24:15 pm »
More rift healing I see.
stumpy is an uncouth child who inherited a lot of money and took care not to squander it all away.  He badly wants to join the "in" crowd, who, despite his silver spoon fortune, have largely ignored his crass behavior, boorish ideas, and bad language.  After all, Daddy bought his way into Penn, an Ivy League school, for his two final years.  Okay, it's not HYP (Harvard, Yale,  Princeton ), or even Brown.  But it IS an Ivy.  But now he has forced his way into the elite circle that he has always felt was his by birth.  He's done it by gaining power through creating a cult of worshippers.

He has what he always wanted:  membership in the most exclusive club in the world.  Now, he's not just a bit player in the Uniparty,  relegated to the fringes of the power elite.  Now, he's one of the top dogs of the Uniparty.
Former Republican.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2016, 04:28:42 pm »
And that is what is really galling to NeverTrumpers like myself....the complete lack by the supposedly "conservative" pro-Trumpers to acknowledge his tremendous lack of character.  I've mentioned before I've never seen a candidate of any party slander and smear his opponents FROM HIS OWN PARTY!!! like Trump has done.

This was a bruising primary, no doubt about that.  But I think your memory is selective.  This primary started like this:     They were both playing on the same team.  But eventually, one of them had to win.

After Trump starting winning, Cruz would try this strategy, among others, to stop Trump's momentum: 

Cruz went on the attack to stop Trump, and that's fair.  But Cruz attacked with lies about Trump's positions ... and I do not mean subtle stretches of the truth, I mean lies.  Those lies became the core of "Lyin' Ted".  Had Cruz chosen to stick with the truth, he would not have been branded a liar.   :shrug:   In fact, if Cruz had spent more time talking about Cruz and less time lying about Trump, he may have been more successful. 

I'm not asking Cruz to apologize for doing what he thought would be a winning strategy for him.  I'm not asking Cruz to apologize for not keeping true to his word and honoring his pledge to support Trump as the nominee.  Cruz did and does what he believes is most politically beneficial for him.  It's politics.  It's a blood sport.

So, please, stop asking Trump to apologize for doing what proved to be a winning strategy for him.  There is no crying in baseball and there are no apologies in politics. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2016, 04:28:54 pm »
The onus of healing is upon the nominee, not the folks that are/were against him. As long as Trump and the Trumpite fanatics keep bashing his former opponents, they will continue to be #NeverTrump. Trump, to win 270 electoral votes will need all the support he can muster.  He might be even or slightly ahead of Hillary in the polls, but he trails Bernie by a bunch. Where he is ahead, he doesn't get 50%. Even then, he has a long road to hoe with the conservative side of the spectrum. As he gears up to run against Hillary or Bernie, he seems to be moving even further to the left on most of his issues. So much for healing.

Trump has already made it clear he doesn't want or need us.  Good luck winning in November without your party's base.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2016, 04:32:36 pm »
This was a bruising primary, no doubt about that.  But I think your memory is selective.  This primary started like this:     They were both playing on the same team.  But eventually, one of them had to win.

After Trump starting winning, Cruz would try this strategy, among others, to stop Trump's momentum: 

Cruz went on the attack to stop Trump, and that's fair.  But Cruz attacked with lies about Trump's positions ... and I do not mean subtle stretches of the truth, I mean lies.  Those lies became the core of "Lyin' Ted".  Had Cruz chosen to stick with the truth, he would not have been branded a liar.   :shrug:   In fact, if Cruz had spent more time talking about Cruz and less time lying about Trump, he may have been more successful. 

I'm not asking Cruz to apologize for doing what he thought would be a winning strategy for him.  I'm not asking Cruz to apologize for not keeping true to his word and honoring his pledge to support Trump as the nominee.  Cruz did and does what he believes is most politically beneficial for him.  It's politics.  It's a blood sport.

So, please, stop asking Trump to apologize for doing what proved to be a winning strategy for him.  There is no crying in baseball and there are no apologies in politics.

Trump never apologizes for anything, so I fully expect him to continue to embrace the racists, anti-semites and the alt-right crowd that abuses anyone on Twitter or social media who opposes Trump:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/does-trump-have-to-distance-himself-from-his-fringe-supporters/article/2591978#.V0GuRhfHJ2Y.twitter

Obama had to distance himself from Jeremiah Wright and Trump, if he wants to win, will have to do the same with white nationalists whose votes he craves.

He won't, of course, and it will be one of the many things that costs him the election.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2016, 04:36:20 pm »
Trump could start healing the rift by not saying dumb sh*t like this:

What the hell does that even mean?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2016, 04:37:54 pm »

But Cruz attacked with lies about Trump's positions ... and I do not mean subtle stretches of the truth, I mean lies.  Those lies became the core of "Lyin' Ted".  Had Cruz chosen to stick with the truth, he would not have been branded a liar.   :shrug:   

Trump only started the smear and sneer when it became clear Cruz was going to beat him in Iowa.  Then he realized that kind of low brow gutter trash type of campaigning appealed to the low information crowd that attended his rallies and he went with it for cheap applause.  He and his campaign manager admit that.

As time has shown...Ted Cruz didn't lie about a thing when it came to Trump and his NY Values.

But those of us that didn't drink the Trump kool-aid knew that back when the video of Donny espousing those values on MTP came out.

And they were reaffirmed with his bashing of Reagan and the Reagan tax cuts.

There's all of these pesky policy positions that changed suddenly last summer...twitter posts and his own words that show it was Trump who was lying.

The really pathetic thing about those of you that continue to push this meme that Cruz lied about Trump and what he stood for...is that you're the only ones that believe it.

None of you can show where Trump lied about anything where Orange Wonderful is concerned.

In fact, if Cruz had spent more time talking about Cruz and less time lying about Trump, he may have been more successful.

He did talk about himself...his personal story what he was going to do to stop the left and the RINO's and bring us back to our Constitutional moorings.

It got drowned out by the loudmouth yankee with the bad combover and a news channel willing to devote a full 85% of their airtime to him.

Glad to see you're doing your part to heal that rift.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »
Trump could start healing the rift by not saying dumb sh*t like this:

What the hell does that even mean?

It means this:

Ooh I love to dance a little sidestep, now they see me now they don't-
I've come and gone and, ooh I love to sweep around the wide step,
cut a little swathe and lead the people on.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »

:hands: :hands: :hands:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2016, 04:43:16 pm »
There's that 'hate' word being used again by another Trump supporter.  I don't recall anyone posting 'hate' in here other than by Trump supporters. I don't hate Trump and I certainly haven't resisted purging the GOPe; quite the opposite.  Funny, you can tell a lot about someone by the company they keep.

You have to understand that the "hate", "hater" zeitgeist now being used by the Trump-Believers, is a talking point weapon from the Marxist Left used to ridicule and silence anyone who dares to disagree with a position, agenda or person.

The Trumpians use that as ardently as any Leftist pro-abortionist/Obama drone does to shield their sacred cows and set the narrative on every fora they populate.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »

The onus for reaching out is on the nominee, but it is not his job to kiss all the boo-boos of those who bear him unreasoning hatred. This site seems to have drawn a large number of the "take my ball and go home" types, as well as the "God told me not to vote for Trump" crew. That's unfortunate, but luckily most of the country is more mature and open to reason. As was said before, his reaching out to the NeverTrumps is the right thing to do...but he can't make these folks do the right thing themselves. All he can do is offer them the opportunity, and he is doing that quite diligently.

Some will strive to give Hillary the keys to the White House no matter what Mr. Trump says. But the good news is, across the nation, Republicans and conservatives are now rallying to the Trump standard...his support has moved closer to the more traditional 80% plus range among Republicans and momentum is strongly in his favor. Evangelical leaders and solid conservatives like Paul Ryan will be right there next to him on the stage and that will take party unity to a new level as well.

The true elites like the Bush's and Romneys and some of their "offended ilk" (NeverTrumps), will never come around. So be it, let them run off and be Hillary supporters. Fortunately, it seems clear that the vast majority of Republicans/Conservatives are waking up and are going to vote Trump, and that very well may be enough to win this election because...thank God...Trump does very well with Independents and Reagan Dems. A coalition of Reagan Dems, Right leaning Independents, and 80+ percent of Republicans is a real force to reckon with.

As conservatives and strong Republicans, many of us are saddened to see some of our brethren willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. But we cannot bring reason to their unreason, nor common sense to their confusion...that is not our burden nor is it Trump's. All /hewe can do is continue to offer those things, common sense and reason, and hope they can break through the veneer of anger and hurt feelings that has put blinders on these folks.

I mean really, when you're throwing around Hitlerian terms and comparing the nominee to Stalin and Mussolini...you've simply lost all credibility and claim to rationality.

Lastly, it takes two to tango when it comes to rift healing. Mr Trump has asked them to dance, if they refuse than the burden of being a wallflower rests with them.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2016, 04:47:00 pm »

You still believe Ted lied even as Trump continues to tone down his primary rhetoric and even flat backtrack on many things he promised.

This is why there will never be healing of the rift between the two sides.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
You have to understand that the "hate", "hater" zeitgeist now being used by the Trump-Believers, is a talking point weapon from the Marxist Left used to ridicule and silence anyone who dares to disagree with a position, agenda or person.

The Trumpians use that as ardently as any Leftist pro-abortionist/Obama drone does to shield their sacred cows and set the narrative on every fora they populate.

It's almost like they are all reading from the same book.

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2016, 04:51:14 pm »
More rift healing I see.

But wishing a candidate would drop dead is? 

Fascinating.   :pondering:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2016, 04:52:35 pm »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2016, 04:52:45 pm »
Trump has already made it clear he doesn't want or need us.  Good luck winning in November without your party's base.

He already has the base supporting him. So not sure what you mean with this statement.

All he lacks now is a hard core among the elites and a few bitter extremists who are angry over Cruz losing. Maybe 10% of the party at most. That said, in a close election that will matter, but lets be VERY clear...that group is anything but the "core" of the party. It is, in fact, the angry fringe...a fringe that believes it should be able to dictate to the other 90% of the party exactly who it can and cannot nominate. A fringe that is loyal only to itself, and believes the rest of us can go jump off a cliff if we don't agree with their choice. Not an easy bunch to share a coalition with, because they believe they are 100% right on everything and the rest of us in the party are RINO's, sycophants, and/or immoral idiots.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2016, 04:54:17 pm »
You still believe Ted lied even as Trump continues to tone down his primary rhetoric and even flat backtrack on many things he promised.

This is why there will never be healing of the rift between the two sides.

Of course Ted lied.  It was his best shot at winning.  It did not work.   

And if there isn't healing of the rift, it will be because you do not want it.  :talkhand:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2016, 04:55:27 pm »
But wishing a candidate would drop dead is? 

Fascinating.   :pondering:

If you want a rift to heal...you have to set the example and take the higher road.  Ignore the flame bait and step up.

Guess that's too much for you to do.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:45 pm »
Of course Ted lied.  It was his best shot at winning.  It did not work.   

And if there isn't healing of the rift, it will be because you do not want it.  :talkhand:

What did he lie about?  Give specifics.  Start another thread to do that if you feel its necessary.

I keep hearing this meme...but there's never any proof to back up the claims of the Trumpers.

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2016, 04:59:32 pm »
What did he lie about?  Give specifics.  Start another thread to do that if you feel its necessary.

For starters: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onYEr3sFVgM

Offline skeeter

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2016, 05:01:08 pm »

I keep hearing this meme...but there's never any proof to back up the claims of the Trumpers.

To the Trumpers, a lie equals anything said about Trump that displeases them. Their icon by his own behavior has freed them from the need to make a rational case for anything. So they insult and disparage instead.

Its frustrating, so of course many times they receive insults in kind. And around we go.

I've come to realize there is no common ground with these folks. They offer no positive reason to vote for Trump, only threats and browbeatings.

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2016, 05:01:21 pm »
If you want a rift to heal...you have to set the example and take the higher road.  Ignore the flame bait and step up.

Guess that's too much for you to do.

I would just like to know if you think wishing a candidate would drop dead is rift healing?  A simple yes or no will do--no need to preach.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:01:42 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »
For starters: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onYEr3sFVgM

All your silly video proves is you can find Trump talking up any side of any issue at any given time.

I guess that makes TRUMP the liar, doesn't it?