Author Topic: Cruz: Those who bolstered Trump 'will bear that responsibility going forward'  (Read 122390 times)

Offline libertybele

Now there is a thought.

Trump, Hit*ler, Mussolini, Putin, Stalin, Mengele, Napoleon all have one thing in common; they are narcissists.

The appeal of narcissistic leaders is also their downfall

Our research has found that your personality – and how narcissistic you are – is linked to how effective you are as a leader. We found that narcissists may appear to be good leaders early on, but they soon fall out of favour.

As we choose the leaders around us, we often think we are making informed choices about who is most effective. But our research suggests that this is not always the case. In fact, we are more likely to select as leaders those people who display narcissistic traits.

Those who score highly in narcissism tests believe they are special people who are superior. They also report high levels of confidence, are focused on themselves at the expense of others, and are vain. These overly positive views of themselves help narcissists to perform very well in situations that offer them an opportunity for personal glory, such as performing under pressure, performing tasks that are difficult, and doing things in the presence of others.

But when they perceive that there is no such opportunity, narcissists withdraw their effort and perform poorly. Because narcissists are so focused on personal glory they can be difficult team members; yet they might make good leaders. Positions of leadership provide an opportunity to gain glory from others and so are likely to be attractive to the narcissist.
The leader ship is sinking

Others have researched and written about the idea of narcissists as leaders, but until now there has been no evidence of whether or not narcissists actually do make effective leaders in the long term.

In two studies, we assessed people’s narcissism using the Narcissistic Personality Inventory – a standard narcissism questionnaire used in psychology research. Example items include: “If I ruled the world it would be a much better place” and “I am an extraordinary person”. People were asked to score themselves against these items on a scale of 0 to 40, with higher scores indicating higher levels of narcissism. Our mean scores were just under 14 for both the studies which is consistent with most research using similar participants.

We then asked people to work in small groups, completing weekly tasks for 12 weeks. Examples of tasks included naming all the Team GB medallists at the 2012 London Olympics and identifying the states of the USA on a blank map. In the first study (using 112 first-year students, 71 men and 41 women, working in 24 groups in their first semester at university) we deliberately allocated people to groups so that they would be unlikely to know each other. In the second study, we used individuals who knew each other reasonably well (152 final year students, 96 men and 56 women, working as part of 29 groups) and let them choose their own groups.

Both during and at the end of the 12 weeks, the participants rated each other on their leadership effectiveness. The results were striking. Initially, the people who had scored highest on the narcissism test were rated as highly effective, but as time went on these positive perceptions waned until eventually narcissists were seen as very ineffective leaders. Although we expected narcissists not to last long as leaders, we were amazed by how rapidly they lost favour with their group, and how negatively they were viewed by the end. Over time, the narcissistic leaders’ ships sank.
Are narcissistic leaders doomed to fail?

Our results showed that the group was initially attracted to the narcissist’s charisma and vision, which allowed the narcissists to rise as the “natural” leaders. But over a very short time, narcissistic leaders failed to provide their followers with appropriate levels of challenge or support. This ultimately led to their downfall.

Although our data painted a rather negative picture for narcissists in the long run, it is not all doom and gloom for the narcissistic leader. The challenge for them is to be able to harness their charisma and combine it with other factors such as humility or empathy, which should enable them to be seen as effective leaders over time. An extreme narcissist may not care what others think of them and may be doomed to fail in leadership roles. But there are other narcissism traits that may be more effective and even necessary, in some forms of diplomacy for example – such as narcissistic charm.

Being able to choose between leaders who we “like” in the short term and those who we believe will get the job done and be effective over time is not necessarily an easy task. Dealing with this paradox is vital to be able to ensure effective leadership in the long term.

http://theconversation.com/the-appeal-of-narcissistic-leaders-is-also-their-downfall-49398
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Trump, Hit*ler, Mussolini, Putin, Stalin, Mengele, Napoleon all have one thing in common; they are narcissists.

The appeal of narcissistic leaders is also their downfall

Being able to choose between leaders who we “like” in the short term and those who we believe will get the job done and be effective over time is not necessarily an easy task. Dealing with this paradox is vital to be able to ensure effective leadership in the long term.

http://theconversation.com/the-appeal-of-narcissistic-leaders-is-also-their-downfall-49398
Great points of similarity.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
Reagan voted for FDR four times.  Is comparing Trump to Reagan any worse than the neverTrumps comparing Trump to Hit-ler and Mussolini?

He voted for FDR in 1932. His first Presidential vote FDR was the hero of his youth and I think he blindly followed him for too long.  He thought FDR would fix everything. He came to terms with the fact that he was mistaken about his views. I think there is a correlation between how he felt about FDR and how Trump supporters feel about Trump. He wanted to believe that someone could come in and fix everything.  FDR's personality and his ability to speak to the common man is what made people blind to the substance of his message and the methods he used to fix things.
This is an informative article about Reagan and FDR -
http://firstprinciplesjournal.com/articles.aspx?article=1082&theme=home&page=1&loc=b&type=ctbf

I voted for Bill freaking Clinton in my youth, not for President, but for Govenor of Arkansas.  I cringe now, but I was totally behind him and admired him. I threw up in my mouth a little just admitting that, but I was young and that is the only defense I have for that.

I don't think Trump is literally as nefarious as Hitler, but I understand the comparison being drawn between them.  They both inspire the same blind devotion. 

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline HootOwl

No he wasn't treated fairly.  I no longer visit FoxNew.com or Drudge.

What FOX did to Cruz was and is not right -- not even far right.  Their defense is that he wouldn't come on the half-assed bias shows.  How many times did they cut away news shows to cover Cruz's rallies  They cut away for Trump's rallies so much I have most of his lines memorized.  They ignored him in the news cycle, unless he stumbled or made a "gaff".  One mistake he mad was the lead news story--and then 2 of the nightly shows covered it.  Greta Van Cesspool spent an entire hour on it.
Where was the media a couple months ago??? --now they are criticizing Trump actions and escapades that happened 25 yrs. ago. I'll still vote Trump, but not with a smile.    :tongue2:  Fox, conservatives are right.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Reagan voted for FDR four times.  Is comparing Trump to Reagan any worse than the neverTrumps comparing Trump to Hit-ler and Mussolini?

My new revelation about Trump.  Hitler painted pictures and Trump writes poetry about himself.  Bard of the Deal.  Buy it on Amazon!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jarrylee/bard-of-the-deal?utm_term=.awEqWX2jM#.aso3Gbneo
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

A-Lert

Trump doesn't care who wins, as long as he can buy his way in.  And if Hillary would win, it would be easier for him to keep on ripping off others and buy influence with the Clintons.

:yawn2: :boring:

Offline Chosen Daughter

Oh and I guess Hitler wrote poetry also.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

A-Lert

This is an informative article about Reagan and FDR -
http://firstprinciplesjournal.com/articles.aspx?article=1082&theme=home&page=1&loc=b&type=ctbf

I posted the link previously.  Reagan voted for FDR four times.

There are other ways in which Reagan revealed his debt to FDR, or at least ways in which he looked to FDR’s example as a guide for his own actions. In the 1970s, Reagan wrote and delivered weekly radio commentaries. Those, by themselves, are a tribute to FDR. In one of those commentaries, he mentioned specifically that government employees have no right to strike. Whom did he quote on that issue? “Franklin Delano Roosevelt said ‘A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of govt. until their demands are satisfied. Such action looking toward the paralysis of govt. by those who have sworn to support it is unthinkable & intolerable.’” Reagan concluded, “FDR summed it up pretty well.”

Even after his conversion to political conservatism, Reagan tended to excuse FDR for his policies, pointing out his good intentions while criticizing the results of those intentions. Was FDR trying to destroy the free enterprise system? Not at all, responded Reagan. He was simply “out to save it at a time of severe stress that had already caused democracy to crumble and fascism and totalitarianism to rear their ugly heads in so many other countries. In America, freedom was saved, and it gave us the strength to rescue a strife-torn Western world in the 1940s and 1950s.” Perhaps FDR did not realize what he had unleashed:

Ronald Reagan’s political philosophy was in its infancy during his early years in Hollywood and throughout World War II. Maturation would have to wait for the turbulent postwar years, when the nation finally began to pay attention to the communist threat and when Reagan, as the public face of General Electric, received on-the-job training in free-market economics. Reagan never turned his back fully on his presidential hero, but he did at least come to the realization that leadership style cannot overcome the effects of bad policy.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Don't worry, the Strumpets will "prove" how #NeverTrump is solely responsible for Clinton's eventual victory because he refused to trample our principles and toe the Trump personality cult line.

Just words on a page.  What politicians think of me doesn't and hasn't ever mattered.  I admit that I was thinking that this would be the year that Republicans would get behind someone that would be a night and day difference from Obama and we could finally be done with eight years of liberalism.  Executive Actions.  With this nomination of Trump more than ever have I seen that the Republican party has no desire to return us to Conservative principles.  So why would I care?  I don't want Hillary and I certainly don't want Trump.  I don't see this election as any possible win at all.  I could just not vote and you get what you get.  Its liberal or liberal.  I am one thought away from the conclusion that it is all a rigged process and Apple Pie isn't American anymore.  Happy shopping.

You get what you get so don't throw a fit.  Some people still believe in morals and no politician is going to make me choke down any Donald Trump.  I can sit at the table forever and I won't swallow it.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:19:14 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline OldSaltUSN

Just words on a page.  What politicians think of me doesn't and hasn't ever mattered.  I admit that I was thinking that this would be the year that Republicans would get behind someone that would be a night and day difference from Obama and we could finally be done with eight years of liberalism.  Executive Actions.  With this nomination of Trump more than ever have I seen that the Republican party has no desire to return us to Conservative principles.  So why would I care?  I don't want Hillary and I certainly don't want Trump.  I don't see this election as any possible win at all.  I could just not vote and you get what you get.  Its liberal or liberal.  I am one thought away from the conclusion that it is all a rigged process and Apple Pie isn't American anymore.  Happy shopping.

You get what you get so don't throw a fit.  Some people still believe in morals and no politician is going to make me choke down any Donald Trump.  I can sit at the table forever and I won't swallow it.

I know some anti-Trumpers are going to say "I have to vote Trump to prevent Hillary ....." or "I cannot as a principled conservative vote for either, I'm both #NeverHillary and #NeverTrump".

Well, I'm one more thing.   

#NeverDisenfranchised. 

Because however you slice it, both Hillary and Trump are all about disfranchising the majority of Americans.  Trump with his use of scorched earth morality when attacking GOP conservatives, and ONLY conservatives, while using open winner-take-all primaries with cross over progressives and 35% of the GOP to run a "hostile takeover", and Hillary??  Nuff said - she has a 25 year history of fascist tactics (anyone remember the 500 FBI files she took of Bush I GOP insiders, or Whitewater, or the Bimbo eruption squad?).  The very fact that so many are throwing their hands into the air and saying "I'm done" is music to their ears.  That's just fewer voters they have to try to control.

I won't have my vote trashed because of a left wing or right wing authoritarian.  I'll vote to hurt one or the other.   I could end up voting Libertarian if there's any chance HE can hurt either Trump or Clinton. 

However, I'll do everything I can to make my vote count.   Absent the last honest conservative from the GOP field, there isn't a moral choice left, but I damned well WILL CHOSE.

(but I gotta come up with a catchier twitter tag lie.   :shrug: )
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:34:43 am by OldSaltUSN »

Offline Chosen Daughter

I know some anti-Trumpers are going to say "I have to vote Trump to prevent Hillary ....." or "I cannot as a principled conservative vote for either, I'm both #NeverHillary and #NeverTrump".

Well, I'm one more thing.   

#NeverDisenfranchised. 

Because however you slice it, both Hillary and Trump are all about disfranchising the majority of Americans.  Trump with his use of scorched earth morality when attacking GOP conservatives, and ONLY conservatives, while using open winner-take-all primaries with cross over progressives and 35% of the GOP to run a "hostile takeover", and Hillary??  Nuff said - she has a 25 year history of fascist tactics (anyone remember the 500 FBI files she took of Bush I GOP insiders, or Whitewater, or the Bimbo eruption squad?).  The very fact that so many are throwing their hands into the air and saying "I'm done" is music to their ears.  That's just fewer voters they have to try to control.

I won't have my vote trashed because of a left wing or right wing authoritarian.  I'll vote to hurt one or the other.   I could end up voting Libertarian if there's any chance HE can hurt either Trump or Clinton. 

However, I'll do everything I can to make my vote count.   Absent the last honest conservative from the GOP field, there isn't a moral choice left, but I damned well WILL CHOSE.

(but I gotta come up with a catchier twitter tag lie.   :shrug: )

Waiting for third party.  And my vote will count to me. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

Eight years? Remember "Read my lips, no new taxes"?

I do indeed.   It was the breaking of that pledge that got Clinton elected,  caused the housing crises (because Clinton got elected)   caused the attack on the World Trade Center (because Clinton got elected)   and eventually worked to elect Barack Obama.   (Because of the financial crises which was caused by Clinton getting elected.) 

Yes,  George HW Bush really F***ed us over when he broke his word about that.   I was screaming at my radio the day I heard he was "making a deal"  with the Democrats.   I knew this was going to wreck the party and the nation,   and I could not understand how George HW Bush could be so stupid as to make this utterly pointless "deal"  with the Democrats.    I knew they didn't give a crap about balancing the budget,  and I said from the beginning that the only thing they want out of this deal is to get George HW Bush to break his word about Taxes.   

That was all they wanted,   and it was all they needed,   and Moderate,  Milquetoast  Georgie Bush fell into their stupid trap.   

I hated the man after that.   I still hate him for that.   He *CAUSED*  horrific damage to the Republic with that blunder.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

No I don't.  How could you tell they're Muslims?  They're going to tell you? 

Yes.   Hand them a pork sandwich and tell them to take a bite.   Easy Peasy. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline RetBobbyMI

If all those ForeverTrump fanatics don't want Hillary to win, they should go after the DOJ and Obama for holding up her indictment instead of incessantly attacking once fellow Pubs. By attacking Pubbies you are alienating them more, than attacking the appropriate target.  Or do you fear Bernie more?
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline libertybele

If all those ForeverTrump fanatics don't want Hillary to win, they should go after the DOJ and Obama for holding up her indictment instead of incessantly attacking once fellow Pubs. By attacking Pubbies you are alienating them more, than attacking the appropriate target.  Or do you fear Bernie more?

We had 15 other candidates...each of us had our preferences in this forum; predominately Cruz, Rubio and Kasich...and we wound up with an orange buffoon.  It sickens me.  I'm not sure who I fear more; Bernie, Clinton or Trump? 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:38:51 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
We had 15 other candidates...each of us had our preferences in this forum; predominately Cruz, Rubio and Kasich...and we wound up with an orange buffoon.  It sickens me. I'm not sure who I fear more; Bernie, Clinton or Trump?

Then, dear, get some professional help.   

And hurry please, we've got less than six months to save our country for our grandchildren and children.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RetBobbyMI

And hurry please, we've got less than six months to save our country for our grandchildren and children.
And Who might that knight in shining armor be? Never saw orange armor before.  :patriot:

Offline libertybele

If you think that Bernie, Clinton or Trump will save our country, you are in for a rude awakening pal.

Offline sinkspur

Yes.   Hand them a pork sandwich and tell them to take a bite.   Easy Peasy.

You do realize that's stupid, don't you?  Galactically stupid.

Orthodox Jews wouldn't take a bite.  You gonna keep them out too?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

And Who might that knight in shining armor be? Never saw orange armor before.  :patriot:

:patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Orthodox Jews wouldn't take a bite.  You gonna keep them out too?
Let's get them lettuce eatin' vegetarians out too.

Bill Cipher

Ughh.  Why is deification of another human being always so unbecoming?

Online DCPatriot

It's a natural feeling to be upset when you picked the wrong horse.   

Must be embarrassing, too, huh?      :laugh:

Offline sinkspur

It's a natural feeling to be upset when you picked the wrong horse.   

Must be embarrassing, too, huh?      :laugh:

At least he picked the front end of the horse.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You'll be smoking a turd in Hell for denying Trump's divinity...after your show trial and execution.
You better hope you don't weigh the same as a duck.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:07:00 am by Once-Ler »