Author Topic: One Day After Cruz Drops Out, Trump Announces TWO MAJOR Flip-Flops  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://politistick.com/one-day-cruz-drops-trump-announces-two-major-flip-flops/

Presumptive GOP Nominee Donald Trump During Recent Rally

On Tuesday night, Texas senator and constitutional conservative Ted Cruz 97% suspended his presidential campaign after placing second in the Indiana Primary. Ohio Governor John Kasich, the son of a mailman who was in fourth place in a three-man race, surprised everyone when he announced on Wednesday he was suspending his campaign. This despite the fact that Kasich said after the Indiana Primary that he would remain in the race until someone reached 1,237 or until the GOP convention in July, whichever came first.

As the final candidate remaining from the previously crowded 17-person Republican presidential field, New York billionaire Donald Trump is now the presumptive GOP nominee. The number of candidates remaining in the field isn’t the only change to happen today. Now that he is the final candidate with the way paved for him to be the GOP nominee, Donald Trump has flip-flopped on two huge issues, including one that has been the bedrock of his claim that he was different and could not be “bought and paid for.”

In a stunning flip-flop on campaign finance, Donald Trump announced on Wednesday that he will not be self-funding his campaign for the general election.

After spending months stating over and over again that he was self-funding his campaign, adding that all of his opponents were puppets of special interest groups and big money donors, bought and paid for with the money being infused into super PACs supporting their campaigns as part of a “corrupt system,” Trump announced that he will be opening his Rolodex, calling his wealthy friends, and creating a “world-class finance organization.”

Trump bragged during the primary that he had rich friends who wanted to donate money to his campaign, but he refused to accept as he continued to push the notion that taking big money from individuals and special interests makes you a puppet and “bought and paid for.” It looks like Cruz leaving the race completely changed his stance against not only accepting money from large donors but also accepting money from a super PAC.

In addition to calling on his wealthy buddies for money to fund his general election campaign, which is expected to cost $1 billion, Trump will also be supported by a super PAC, the very type of group that he demonized for the last 10 months.

The self-described outsider will also begin joint fundraising with the Republican National Committee.

The second major flip-flop by Trump is one that perhaps he has done in order to appeal to Bernie Sanders’ supporters, who he believes he can win over to his side. When asked by CNN whether he would support an increase in the federal minimum wage, Trump replied, “I’m looking at that, I’m very different from most Republicans.” He added, “You have to have something you can live on.”

This is a major shift from his statement during a debate in November when he made it clear, at least for that time and audience, that he did not support the federal government forcing an increase in the minimum wage. At the time, Trump claimed, “I hate to say it, but we have to leave it the way it is.”

Also in November, Trump reiterated his opposition to the government increasing the minimum wage, during an appearance on MSNBC.

“We have to become competitive with the world. Our taxes are too high, our wages are too high, everything is too high,” he said. “What’s going to happen is now people are going to start firing people.”

Again, it looks like all it took for Trump to flip-flop was being left unchallenged as the last man standing on the Republican side of the aisle in the presidential race. These major changes, again, were revealed less than 24 hours after Ted Cruz left the race.
RELATED: Donald Trump Identifies 3 Biggest Functions Government Should Have; 2 Are Unconstitutional

Many will be asking if this is a case of flip-flopping or of Trump finally revealing positions that he knew would be unpopular for him as he tried to sell supporters on his “conservatism.”

In the end, will these two huge flip-flops make any difference to Trump supporters?

Will he be able to convince them that, suddenly, accepting large donations and being supported by a super PAC doesn’t make you a bought and paid for puppet? Will he be able to convince them to now support the “Fight for $15” progressive protesters?

Since Trump himself said he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose support, these major flip-flops likely won’t mean a thing to Trump’s supporters. They’ll find a way to explain it away. After all, “Mr. Trump” knows best…or something.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:54:31 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline washi

Re: One Day After Cruz Drops Out, Trump Announces TWO MAJOR Flip-Flops
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:56:18 am »
Yikes! Can you post an excerpt?
Went to the site and it took me 5 minutes to back out of all of the popups.
Any organization not explicitly conservative will turn liberal over time.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:01:53 am »
Didn't expect anything other than that.  He has been courting the establishment for a couple months now.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

A-Lert

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 05:10:28 am »
Much to do about nothing. The whining should start to die down in a week or two.

Offline kik5150

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:11:48 am »
"I’m very different from most Republicans"

-because most Republicans are conservatives?
"Trump is no conservative. He's a self-dealing charlatan and he's got a lot of fall-for anything chump types fooled."
-Jim "Chump" Robinson

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:22:06 pm »

I can't find one thing to make want to support Trump because a minute after he takes a stand on something he takes another stand on the same issue.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »
The "self-funding" thing was a farce that - all along - was designed to sell snake-oil to rubes. Many rubes lapped it right up.

Let's analyze, shall we?

1. If Trump was "self-funding," why were their two giant DONATE buttons on his web site?
2. Trump made LOANS to his campaign. By FEC rules, loans must be paid back or they become donations. So, right away, he was signaling that he expected to be paid back.
3. Trump is charging interest on those loans. His campaign is an investment vehicle.
4. Trump is using some of the money he loaned to his campaign *to pay himself*. Yes, that's right. For example, when he flies in Trump Force One, his campaign pays for the use of the airplane. That's a business he owns.

So, let's get this scam down - loan yourself money. Pay yourself for services out of the money you loaned yourself. Take federal and party funds in the general. Pay back all those loans you made to yourself. Get back the original amount, plus interest, PLUS some of the originally loaned money in the form of payments made to companies you own.

I wonder what his rate of return will be?

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »
The "self-funding" thing was a farce that - all along - was designed to sell snake-oil to rubes. Many rubes lapped it right up.

Let's analyze, shall we?

1. If Trump was "self-funding," why were their two giant DONATE buttons on his web site?
2. Trump made LOANS to his campaign. By FEC rules, loans must be paid back or they become donations. So, right away, he was signaling that he expected to be paid back.
3. Trump is charging interest on those loans. His campaign is an investment vehicle.
4. Trump is using some of the money he loaned to his campaign *to pay himself*. Yes, that's right. For example, when he flies in Trump Force One, his campaign pays for the use of the airplane. That's a business he owns.

So, let's get this scam down - loan yourself money. Pay yourself for services out of the money you loaned yourself. Take federal and party funds in the general. Pay back all those loans you made to yourself. Get back the original amount, plus interest, PLUS some of the originally loaned money in the form of payments made to companies you own.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

:thumbsup:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 03:08:47 pm »
Much to do about nothing. The whining should start to die down in a week or two.

No, it's not and no, it won't. See, there are people who actually listen to words and understand what words mean and know what a flip-flop is.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:11:07 pm »
Just two flip-flops the first day. I'm sure Deceptive Donald will pick up speed as time goes on and the mask slips further. Just another politician who will say anything to get elected.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:12:31 pm »

Again, it's not whining.  It's reality.  Trump has already flip-flopped on being part of the establishment, the border wall, amnesty and Muslim refugees.  This is nothing new.  I predict in a month or two all hell is going to break loose once Trumpsters realize they've been duped.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:13:02 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 03:15:46 pm »
No, it's not and no, it won't. See, there are people who actually listen to words and understand what words mean and know what a flip-flop is.

Yes and to them (us) it's not a piece of footwear.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:18:23 pm »

Thats funny right there saying most republicans are conservatives. Have you seen our elected?
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline the_doc

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:38:57 pm »
Just two flip-flops the first day. I'm sure Deceptive Donald will pick up speed as time goes on and the mask slips further. Just another politician who will say anything to get elected.

When I was posting on FR, I warned over and over and over and over that Trump is a RINO at best, and at worst, an unusually unstable RINO/crony capitalist.  I pointed out that Trump was already walking back zillions of things he was saying during his campaign, and the FRumpsters (my own name for them, BTW) responded with stupid insults against me and false charges against "Lyin' Ted."

I suspect that Trump is the single biggest phony in the history of the Republican Party.  I think he makes Boehner and McConnell look like saints.  I honestly believe that Trump is knowingly following Rules for Radicals--not Alinsky's full-blown conspiratorial strategy, but Alinsky's win-at-all-cost tactics.

NeverTrump.  The Trump supporters have made their bed, and they are going to lie in it.    (At least, I think Trump will lie in his bed.) 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:13:12 pm »
(At least, I think Trump will lie in his bed.) 

Well, he has a steady record of lying, so I wouldn't doubt it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 05:18:19 pm »
We can now add flip flop number three. After railing against Cruz and him being a puppet of Goldman Sachs, he hires a Goldman Sachs/Soros lackey to run his fundraising.

This guy is a total fraud and a waste of oxygen.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 05:35:57 pm »
We can now add flip flop number three. After railing against Cruz and him being a puppet of Goldman Sachs, he hires a Goldman Sachs/Soros lackey to run his fundraising.

Did you see the FEC donation records for that guy?

Gee... I wonder if we #NeverTrumpers were on to something?

Naw, must just be Trump Derangement Syndrome, right?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline the_doc

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »

Well, he has a steady record of lying, so I wouldn't doubt it.

You picked up on my little pun.  I think Trump would probably even lie on his deathbed.

A-Lert

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »

So how is a sexual predator enabler, liar, thief and incompetent administrator responsible for the Benghazi fiasco a presidential candidate.

A-Lert

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:58 pm »

Is Steve Mnuchin employed by Goldman Sachs/Soros now?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 08:16:42 pm »
So how is a sexual predator enabler, liar, thief and incompetent administrator responsible for the Benghazi fiasco a presidential candidate.

She's not.  We're not voting for her either.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:18 pm »

Let's analyze, shall we?
<snip>

Rate of return? Nicely put.
For con men and loan sharks like trump the common vernacular would be:  What is the  "Nut" and the "Vig".

Offline the_doc

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:15 pm »

Hey. sinkspur, I am delighted to see that we agree on something!

I do understand that we occasionally have to choose between the lesser of two EVILS.  But I have no intention of choosing between the lesser of two DEVILS.  (Trump's golfing buddy started the name-calling references to Lucifer, so I think it is okay to fire right back at the camp of the infamous Accuser.)

NeverTrump.  That's a promise that I intend to keep.

Silver Pines

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 09:15:47 pm »

Wait until the media turns against him, as they will (and have begun to do), and the Democrats unleash their attacks full-force.  Trump doesn't deal with opposition very well, and he hasn't seen anything yet.

A-Lert

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »

Hillery isn't a presidential candidate? When did she end her campaign. 3 people on this site have stated they will vote for Hillary.