Author Topic: Why I'm Ultimately Glad Trump will be the Nominee (Or, "Why I learned to stop worrying and love the HTC Vive)  (Read 17234 times)

A-Lert

Perhaps, perhaps not. I find it interesting that Trump made that announcement very shortly after Governor Branstad of Iowa (Whose son is a Lobbyist for the ethanol industry) declared that Cruz 'must be defeated, whatever it takes' because Cruz said he would eliminate the mandate.

Frankly, that reeked of avoiding negatives in a close race. Which ever is the case, that was a deal-breaker for me.

Since when has politics been fair?  I don't like it any better than most, but I find no candidate innocent of dirty tricks. Remember who had the best ground game.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Since when has politics been fair?  I don't like it any better than most, but I find no candidate innocent of dirty tricks. Remember who had the best ground game.
I look at it this way. Either he sold us all out for 10+% of our fuel mileage and increased maintenance/repair costs and picking up the tab for subsidies because he is a true believer, or he sold us out to avoid getting heat over doing away with the mandate. The bottom line is that he sold us out. Maybe just for political advantage in Iowa. Not California, but Iowa?

The second part of that is 'using the EPA to the fullest extent of the law'...but the EPA writes a lot of its own rules, rules which have just about destroyed industry in the US. Can't have that and 'Make America Great Again".  It just doesn't work.

Like I said, that was the deal-breaker for me.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The wind was obviously blowing in a different direction that day.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ConstitutionRose

I am not sure how individual acts of kindness to people who are cold, or kids without toys translate into national policy.

These same people, if they enter illegally will quite possibly end up in virtual slavery, living 40 or more to the small house in squalor, and paid squat because their employer can. If they don't land in a sanctuary (local policy) city, they are fair game to be abused and mistreated.  Who are they gonna call if they aren't in some place that is defying Federal Law to give them the benefits they should have acquired by entering legally.

To me, the individual acts are simply christian decency, but the act of stopping the invasion would be too.

Those who come here legitimately would enjoy the protections that involves because they would not be outside the law in the first place.

I don't see that as supporting the illegal alien invasion any more than I see the USMC Toys for Tots as supporting poverty.

+1. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

A-Lert

I look at it this way. Either he sold us all out for 10+% of our fuel mileage and increased maintenance/repair costs and picking up the tab for subsidies because he is a true believer, or he sold us out to avoid getting heat over doing away with the mandate. The bottom line is that he sold us out. Maybe just for political advantage in Iowa. Not California, but Iowa?

The second part of that is 'using the EPA to the fullest extent of the law'...but the EPA writes a lot of its own rules, rules which have just about destroyed industry in the US. Can't have that and 'Make America Great Again".  It just doesn't work.

Like I said, that was the deal-breaker for me.

I would be more apt to believe he has never been informed about fuel mileage and increased maintenance/repair costs. Though now I'm told newer vehicles aren't adversely affected by ethanol fuels.

Offline Smokin Joe

I would be more apt to believe he has never been informed about fuel mileage and increased maintenance/repair costs. Though now I'm told newer vehicles aren't adversely affected by ethanol fuels.
Let's put it this way. If I replace my small (paid for) fleet of vehicles with brand new ones, of equivalent capability, cargo capacity, etc., it would cost roughly 300K. <p>Still, whether the repair costs are higher or not on newer (non flex fuel) vehicles, the BTU yield is less as the ethanol content increases, and the mileage will be less. That isn't even discussing converting food into ersatz gasoline and the amount of 'fossil' fuel consumed doing that.

Not to be nasty, but the man is a high dollar developer/real estate salesman and promoter.
I would wager his military knowledge base as well as his scientific/technical background are very limited. Sure, he hs made payroll, but those are generally service slots.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:09:44 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

A-Lert

Let's put it this way. If I replace my small (paid for) fleet of vehicles with brand new ones, of equivalent capability, cargo capacity, etc., it would cost roughly 300K. <p>Still, whether the repair costs are higher or not on newer (non flex fuel) vehicles, the BTU yield is less as the ethanol content increases, and the mileage will be less. That isn't even discussing converting food into ersatz gasoline and the amount of 'fossil' fuel consumed doing that.

The average consumer isn't replacing a fleet of vehicles. Of course the MPG will be less, but for people getting 30+ MPG with new vehicles, they won't complain. Remember the oxygenated fuel fiasco? That cost me fuel tanks, filters, lines, mileage and carburetors.

Offline Smokin Joe

The average consumer isn't replacing a fleet of vehicles. Of course the MPG will be less, but for people getting 30+ MPG with new vehicles, they won't complain. Remember the oxygenated fuel fiasco? That cost me fuel tanks, filters, lines, mileage and carburetors.
Ethanol is part of the oxygenated fuel fiasco. When those specs were drawn up, there were two oxygenating additives which got the okay. One was MTBE, which, it turns out lingers in groundwater and isn't especially good for humans and other critters. The other is Ethanol. This stuff did not start out to be a 'renewable fuel'. We used it in small quantities to scrounge water from fuel systems by adding a pint or so, because it is hygroscopic and from a sealed container will absorb the water in the tank and lines--critical here when it gets to -30, and I have had to clear fuel filters clogged with tiny ice crystals on the side of the road before in that sort of weather. No fun, but in those days the filter was in the fuel line, not the fuel tank, and it was a relatively simple operation, if an unpleasant one.

Anyway, when MTBE was revealed to be nasty stuff, the congress refused to renew the liability waiver for it, and Ethanol became the default oxygenating additive.

In what has become true EPA form, they kept changing the requirement until you are burning E10, and want to sell you even crappier fuel. A normally carburetor equipped vehicle I have from 1975 only got 10 MPG on E10, but got 13-14 MPG on straight gasoline. I only use the 10% figure because that is the difference in what a substantially newer fuel injected vehicle obtained.

Why aren't people griping about only getting 30 MPG?

I have a Geo Metro that will get 35 MPG and it burns oil, too (it was more like 45 MPG new), and it was made in 1991 with very minimal computerizaton. Where's the progress?

GPS? (use a map!)
Automatic/antilock braking? Pay attention!
Automatic parking? Back up cameras? Learn to Drive!

Granted, I'm not the average consumer. I'm not replacing the fleet for a while, either.
But with that small herd of vehicles, the fuel mileage thing gets more costly.
When all you have to do to achieve a quality result is to NOT do something, it seems pretty silly to keep on doing whatever it is that leads to a substandard outcome.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I would wager his military knowledge base as well as his scientific/technical background are very limited.

Trump thinks going to Military School is the same as being in the military.

He says avoiding STD's while screwing his way through the social roster of Lower Manhattan was his "personal Vietnam".

He wants to make the U.S. Military available to the highest bidder in order to pay for Social Security...so yes his knowledge base of the military is very limited.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

A-Lert

He wants to make the U.S. Military available to the highest bidder in order to pay for Social Security...so yes his knowledge base of the military is very limited.

Where do you get that BS

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump thinks going to Military School is the same as being in the military.

He says avoiding STD's while screwing his way through the social roster of Lower Manhattan was his "personal Vietnam".

He also said vets who were captured weren't real heros. So all those POW MIA flags are useless because those guys aren't real war heros.

Trump is gonna need to learn to keep his big mouth shut to get the vote of people like me. I understand for Trump that is to a certain extent impossible but he'll need to do a better job of it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Where do you get that BS

Straight from Trump's own mouth.

Donald Trump suggested that as president he would finance Social Security by requiring countries that benefit from U.S. military protection to pay for the service.

Trump offered that plan as a way to avoid Social Security's impending insolvency — the program runs out of money in 22 years — after initially promising to stabilize the program by eliminating "waste, fraud, and abuse." That position contrasted with Fla. Sen. Marco Rubio, who has proposed a politically-risky Social Security overhaul.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-rent-out-u.s.-military-to-finance-social-security/article/2585533

He's got weapons grade stupidity when it comes to the military.  He still thinks we're in Saudi Arabia for one...we aren't.

And he has no idea exactly how much countries like Germany and Korea already shell out to help keep us stationed in their countries.  He makes it sound like they shell out nothing.

That's simply not the case. 

Trump's plan turns us into mercenaries available to the highest bidder...not to mention he's willing to use us to pay for a broken welfare system.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:56:11 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Bill Cipher

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-rent-out-u.s.-military-to-finance-social-security/article/2585533

He's got weapons grade stupidity when it comes to the military.  He still thinks we're in Saudi Arabia for one...we aren't.

And he has no idea exactly how much countries like Germany and Korea already shell out to help keep us stationed in their countries.  He makes it sound like they shell out nothing.

Trump's plan turns us into mercenaries available to the highest bidder...not to mention he's willing to use us to pay for a broken welfare system.

Weapons of mass destruction grade stupidity. 

Offline wolfcreek

He also said vets who were captured weren't real heros. So all those POW MIA flags are useless because those guys aren't real war heros.

Trump is gonna need to learn to keep his big mouth shut to get the vote of people like me. I understand for Trump that is to a certain extent impossible but he'll need to do a better job of it.

He was talking about McCain [who is another story] and he is now endorsing him.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/08/politics/john-mccain-donald-trump/

Trump has said plenty to get reactions. Reading between the lines is the key to understanding.
Modify message
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:06:07 pm by wolfcreek »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Offline wolfcreek

Donald Trump calls 9/11 'worse than Pearl Harbor'

http://www.macon.com/news/local/article47283805.html

As far as the psychological effect on the general citizenry, it was worse.

I'd say they were the same but, different.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
As far as the psychological effect on the general citizenry, it was worse.

I'd say they were the same but, different.

The people who were on the receiving end of the Japanese attack would beg to differ.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Ridiculous debate IMO.

Agreed.  But ridiculous is where things tend to end up when the Trump defenders get involved.  ****sheep****

A-Lert

So how much does Germany  shell out? What is the cost to taxpayers ? Mercenaries? How about dupes?

http://fpif.org/the_cost_of_the_global_us_military_presence/

The final bill: The United States spends approximately $250 billion annually to maintain troops, equipment, fleets, and bases overseas.

Offline wolfcreek

The people who were on the receiving end of the Japanese attack would beg to differ.

Many innocent people were killed on 9-11 while, mostly military folk gave their lives at Pearl.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:03:27 pm by wolfcreek »

Offline wolfcreek

Agreed.  But ridiculous is where things tend to end up when the Trump defenders get involved.  ****sheep****

I beg to differ.  I've seen more than a fair share of moronic responses from the pro-Hillary crowd here.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I beg to differ.  I've seen more than a fair share of moronic responses from the pro-Hillary crowd here.

There's no pro-Hillary crowd here.  Quit lying...stop with the simpleton arguments.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Many innocent people were killed on 9-11 while, mostly military folk gave their lives at Pearl.

The family members of the 68 killed at Pearl would take issue with your callousness.

Offline wolfcreek

The family members of the 68 killed at Pearl would take issue with your callousness.

68?