Author Topic: Why I'm Ultimately Glad Trump will be the Nominee (Or, "Why I learned to stop worrying and love the HTC Vive)  (Read 17166 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

What hath supposed "conservatism" wrought?  "Principled" conservatism.  "Constitutional" conservatism.  "Compassionate" conservatism.  WHAT HATH IT WROUGHT?  It hath wrought the society in which we live today.  Why?  Because there was someone who just wasn't conservative enough.  Someone who a bit more "principled" than the other guy.  What's that little thing about people doing the same thing over and over and over again but expecting a different result?
We know Romney is going to stab Trump in the back, the same way Romney Sr stabbed Goldwater.  Like father, like son.  The Kristols, the Wills, the Krauthammers, the Humes, elitists all, looking down their nose on the unwashed.  Limbaugh, Levin, Beck and the mass of blaring out their empty platitudes and explaining to you what you aren't smart to know.
You weren't invited to the party.  They'll just tell you what happened.

Except I would say that there has been a lot of people claiming 'conservatism' and pretty little of the genuine article on display.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

It's very good to see you, Norm. I was just saying I would give anything for a good knock-down-drag-out with you about the South Texas portion of the wall. I've missed you so, Darlin'.  0052

Now as to your post, Reagan was right.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."

I dare say that you fought hard, Norm. Unfortunately, I think an extinction-level event is in the cards for freedom in America.

With that in mind, a little levity.

Sweet Meteor of Death for POTUS! @smod2016 on Twitter
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:00:19 pm by BuckeyeTexan »
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline Norm Lenhart

With that in mind, a little levity.

Fairly sure 'improvement' isn't spelled with an 'L' ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:47:52 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline bolobaby

Wait - what does the HTC Vive have to do with this?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it. -Mark Twain.

When it comes down to Trump vs. his old friend Hillary those words have never been truer. Who would have thought that the nominees would be the one Democrat people have been dreading for 20 years versus an actor and souped up Amway salesman who was a registered democrat during the first 4 years of Obama? 
:thud:

As another famous figure one said: There's a Trump supporter born every minute.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:22:17 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Norm Lenhart

Wait - what does the HTC Vive have to do with this?

Virtual reality. Meaning lots of people live in realities other than this one/drank the kool aid/are in a fantasy world. It was also just a play on the Dr. Strangelove title.

Offline olde north church

Except I would say that there has been a lot of people claiming 'conservatism' and pretty little of the genuine article on display.

Here's the thing people conveniently forget, Trump never claimed to be a conservative.  People have been bitching and moaning about the GOP for a long, long time.  Well, the GOP will change.  Dragged kicking and screaming into a new party.  Trump is a showman?  Fine.  Trump is a "reality star"?  Fine.  Let the GOP get with the new century. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

It's also quite remarkable how much people had invested in a second rate ham, portraying a "Constitutional Conservative".

Offline Norm Lenhart

It's also quite remarkable how much people had invested in a second rate ham, portraying a "Constitutional Conservative".

They projected every bit as much, more really, than Barry's zombies did with him. They wanted him to be what they wanted him to be so he became that in their minds. Virtual Reality.

They wanted Cruz to be a liar so they convinced themselves he was. Virtual Reality.

They wanted Mitt Romney, Bhoner, Mitch, Ryan and the tea guys that flipped to be something their actions clearly showed they were not as well. And again they created their own reality.

Because this reality conflicted with their personal desires. So they changed it. In their minds at least. And destroyed this one in the process. Pretty selfish really.

They projected every bit as much, more really, than Barry's zombies did with him. They wanted him to be what they wanted him to be so he became that in their minds. Virtual Reality.

They wanted Cruz to be a liar so they convinced themselves he was. Virtual Reality.

They wanted Mitt Romney, Bhoner, Mitch, Ryan and the tea guys that flipped to be something their actions clearly showed they were not as well. And again they created their own reality.

Because this reality conflicted with their personal desires. So they changed it. In their minds at least. And destroyed this one in the process. Pretty selfish really.

Cruz IS a liar.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Cruz IS a liar.

Not from what I saw. I saw a lot of Trump sourced crap being flung about these hundreds of supposed lies but never saw anyone actually show proof of it. If you can direct me to actual lies and not some liberal's offended opinion of something they 'feel' is a lie, I am more than willing to look at it objectively and let the chips fall where they may.

Offline wolfcreek

So the remedy is the Republicans nominated a man who barely knows anything about conservatism, a man who funded Hillary and most other Democrats throughout his life, a man who told the most outrageous lies about his opponents, mocked their looks, their size, their wives, their families, and their lifelong experience?  We are headed for a disaster by a man who is unfit to be mayor of NYC.  Trump attacked most Republicans using Democrat talking points.  He used them on Walker.  He used them on Jeb.  He attacked Cruz's wife for her looks and his dad as a presidential assassin.  He attacked Rubio for not being tall.  He ignored policy and made idiotic and contradictory proposals.   Good luck with this man, the least liked man to ever run for president. 

http://spectator.org/articles/66195/conservative-catastrophe-ahead[url=http://]]]http://spectator.org/articles/66195/conservative-catastrophe-aheadhttp://

Oh really...less liked than Obama?

Who acting like a Liberal now.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Oh really...less liked than Obama?

Who acting like a Liberal now.

The lowest combined approval I found for Barry was 42.6% 2014-15 (one year period)

Gallup recently (April) had trump at 30% approval with women and 42% approval with men. So FWIW.

Offline wolfcreek

The lowest combined approval I found for Barry was 42.6% 2014-15 (one year period)

Gallup recently (April) had trump at 30% approval with women and 42% approval with men. So FWIW.

People lie about their opinion of Obama but, Trump will be running against an opponent with similar ratings.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/276078-clintons-dismal-approval-ratings-prompt-dem-fears

Offline Norm Lenhart

People lie about their opinion of Obama but, Trump will be running against an opponent with similar ratings.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/276078-clintons-dismal-approval-ratings-prompt-dem-fears

People also lie about their opinion of trump. I'm just saying what is being reported and I don't have any reason to believe those numbers are wildly off. Off probably. But the guy is far, far from popular.

Not from what I saw. I saw a lot of Trump sourced crap being flung about these hundreds of supposed lies but never saw anyone actually show proof of it. If you can direct me to actual lies and not some liberal's offended opinion of something they 'feel' is a lie, I am more than willing to look at it objectively and let the chips fall where they may.

Not from what you saw?  He freaking was handing out blankets, dolls and soccer balls to wetbacks.  Not a Trump talking point, a real photo, with Beck and some broad.  Let's get real.  You want to discuss or debate?  Let's start from a reality based starting point.  Ted's a grifter.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I have not yet reconciled myself to Trump, but I think your thoughts are prescient on this occasion.

I don't think I'll ever reconcile myself to the fact that things got so desperate
that this country is about to respond to a burning house by deciding whom
between two arsonists they'll call upon to fight the fire.

Unless the Libertarian Party offers a candidate worth more than two pins,
my November vote will be "none of the above."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Not from what you saw?  He freaking was handing out blankets, dolls and soccer balls to wetbacks.  Not a Trump talking point, a real photo, with Beck and some broad.  Let's get real.  You want to discuss or debate?  Let's start from a reality based starting point.  Ted's a grifter.

And the 'lie' there is? Did Donald 'lie' when he said he had been convinced that Dreamers should be allowed to stay or when he said they had to go?

Because he said BOTH,

So did Ted C come out at some point and say 'I never handed out blankets to illegal children"?

Offline BuckeyeTexan

A grifter for being kind to children in a bad situation?
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I marvel every time the liberal right has fits about the people they elected. FOUGHT LIKE ANIMALS TO GET ELECTED. One day they scream "NO MATTER WHAT!" Then when 'What" invariably happens, it's suddenly not their fault. Fail is always an orphan.

The PROBLEM is not anything other than the complete moral and educational putrefaction of the electorate in this country.  The candidate(s) selected are merely a symptom of the disease!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:11:37 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

In the days leading up to Indiana, I kept hearing about the people of the state and their  bedrock conservative values...they don't have those New York values, you can bet on it, etc., etc.  Yet they voted overwhelmingly for the leftist con-man/showman from Manhattan, except for three counties, I believe.

I think this is simply where the country is right now, and honestly, I don't know if we'll ever see another conservative president.  They don't know anything about the Constitution and they really don't care about it.  Trump can say or do anything he wants  (he was right about that; a con-man knows his audience) and it doesn't matter.  He is truly the candidate of cultural degeneracy.

I'm going to take a cue from Steve Deace...I'm going to sit back for the next six months and laugh at the spectacle.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This may be premature, One can always hope for dirty tricks, a Hillary indictment, meteorite shower, or something, but in anticipation of future feature attractions, here goes...

Adventures of The Stupid Party, Mk IV...

Once again, the election is the Republican Party's to lose. In the fine tradition of General Jubilation T. Cornpone, they have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, running a candidate that just might win, if in desperation the Democrats not completely given over to The Communist Manifesto, free stuff, or following a (should have been indicted by now) criminal candidate vote for someone besides the 'D'.

As far as the GOP goes, I was done riding for the brand years ago when I walked into a caucus and it was announced that 'W' was going to be the candidate--before anyone cast a ballot. "Nonbinding", after all, means just what it says, but might be better expressed as "meaningless". Even then I could have stayed home and, between cigarettes and cups of coffee (16K dial-up) voted in the internet polls and had just as much influence.

There are too few 'principled' Democrats of the mold that produced Hubert Humphrey left to get the GOP nominee over the top, but I won't be joining them, either.

I won't vote Democrat, no matter how you reshape the body or what badge you put on the hood. It still runs like a Yugo, even if it looks (to some) like a Ferrari. Short out the throaty roar on the sound system, and the sputter sputter clunk, clunk will be obvious to all, if the puffs of blue smoke and less than optimal acceleration were not enough of a clue. But despite the shouts of YUUUGE and other syncophantic rants, the DEAL has been cut, America has been sold out by the major Party which had claimed to fight for conservatism, even with a host of prefixes and a small 'c'.

If being stupid was painful in proportion to the level of stupidity, those of us not screaming in agony would be going deaf.

and this time even if we win we lose.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Someone else posted on the other thread that Romney won the same percentage of whites that Reagan won in 1980. There were no "stay at homers". It's talk radio fantasy.
That's the fun thing about percentages...You can win the same percentage of whites' votes with a hundred or fewer white voters. It is numbers that win an election. the percentages only count comparing the candidates percentages of the vote, and then only in each state.

C S Lewis