Author Topic: Donald Trump finds an unlikely supporter in Vladimir Putin  (Read 2862 times)

HAPPY2BME

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-finds-unlikely-support-from-vladimir-putin-a7008601.html

The US presidential hopeful and Russia's president have spoken highly of one another

Harriet Sinclair
    Sunday 1 May 2016 10:46 BST

US presidential hopeful Donald Trump has found himself an unlikely supporter in the form of Russian president Vladimir Putin.

A foreign policy speech made by Mr Trump on 27 April, in which the Republican candidate spoke about his hopes for an improvement in US-Russian relations, was well received in Russia, CNN reported, with people in Moscow praising his attitude. 

“I believe an easing of tensions and improved relations with Russia, from a position of strength only, is possible,” Trump said during his speech.

President Putin, along with senior Russian politicians, allegedly welcomed Mr Trump’s comments, while Mr Putin has previously spoken warmly of the billionaire.

The Russian president said at his annual press conference back in December: “He is saying that he wants to move to a different level of relations with Russia, to a closer, deeper one. How can we not welcome that? Of course, we welcome that.”

He described also described Mr Trump as a ‘flamboyant’ and ‘outstanding’ man, and appeared keen to work with the Republican frontrunner in future.

For his part, Mr Trump has previously returned the compliment, stating: “I will get along - I think - with Putin, and I will get along with others, and we will have a much more stable world. I would talk to him.

He went on to say: “It's not up to us to judge his virtue, that is up to US voters.”

Mr Putin and Mr Trump’s latest bout of mutual appreciation comes amid increasingly tense relations between the US and Russia, in a week that saw a Russian jet barrel roll over a US plane above the Baltic Sea in what the US described as an ‘aggressive’ move.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Donald Trump finds an unlikely supporter in Vladimir Putin
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:11:28 pm »
Not unlikely at all. Authoritarian strongmen recognize each other.  **nononono*
Principles matter. Words matter.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:12:50 pm »
Not unlikely at all. Authoritarian strongmen recognize each other.  **nononono*

===================================

Vote Hillary - 2016!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:38:40 pm »

Boy is this something to be proud of for the United States of America!  Way to go HAPPY!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:46:48 pm »
===================================

Vote Hillary - 2016!
Won't have to I'll be voting for Cruz. The primaries are not over and the nomination is not the Donald's despite his claim he should win without the majority. If we get to Cleveland, I believe Trump will not be the nominee and Cruz will.
Principles matter. Words matter.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »
Putin wants an America that will be easy to push around, he knows Trump is a chump

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:15:18 pm »
 :shrug: I guess Trump values his endorsement from Putin.  He would rather be in unity with the Kremlin than with the Republican Party ,  that's what he says   :silly:  Trumpers love it.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:30 am »
Putin wants an America that will be easy to push around, he knows Trump is a chump

=============================

So, you get this because you personally know Russians living in Russia and have been to Russia yourself?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 01:27:31 am »
=============================

So, you get this because you personally know Russians living in Russia and have been to Russia yourself?

See here it is.  Trump supporters are also Putin supporters.  What are we doing selling out to Russia?

FIORINA: Having met Vladimir Putin, I wouldn't talk to him at all. We've talked way too much to him. What I would do, immediately, is begin rebuilding the Sixth Fleet, I would begin rebuilding the missile defense program in Poland, I would conduct regular, aggressive military exercises in the Baltic states. I'd probably send a few thousand more troops into Germany. Vladimir Putin would get the message. Russia is a bad actor, but Vladimir Putin is someone we should not talk to, because the only way he will stop is to sense strength and resolve on the other side, and we have all of that within our control.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Carly_Fiorina_Foreign_Policy.htm

Cruz team targets Trump-Putin lovefest

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/ted-cruz-trump-putin-221000
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 02:28:30 am »
See here it is.  Trump supporters are also Putin supporters.  What are we doing selling out to Russia?

FIORINA: Having met Vladimir Putin, I wouldn't talk to him at all. We've talked way too much to him. What I would do, immediately, is begin rebuilding the Sixth Fleet, I would begin rebuilding the missile defense program in Poland, I would conduct regular, aggressive military exercises in the Baltic states. I'd probably send a few thousand more troops into Germany. Vladimir Putin would get the message. Russia is a bad actor, but Vladimir Putin is someone we should not talk to, because the only way he will stop is to sense strength and resolve on the other side, and we have all of that within our control.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Carly_Fiorina_Foreign_Policy.htm

Cruz team targets Trump-Putin lovefest

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/ted-cruz-trump-putin-221000

==========================

Fiorina has less than 0% of a clue.  She's not served one single second in uniform, let alone ever set behind a STRATFOR planning desk.

Her thinking is much more likely to start WWIII than Donald Trump's.

Well, I do know Russians living in Russia.  And I have been to Russia.  And I do know that the Russians are not going to screw around playing a guessing game with a Carly Fioriana/Ted Cruz combo.  They WILL launch, you can bet your radiated ass on it.

Americans really are dumber than a box of rocks in their perceived understanding of Russia and all things Russian.  Trump gets it.  Cruz will cause a nuclear war.   

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:51 am »
http://russia-insider.com/en/trump-sends-neocons-packing-reaganesque-foreign-policy-address/ri14165

Trump Sends Neocons Packing in Reaganesque Foreign Policy Address

"Instead of calling President Putin names, Trump says he would talk to the Russians to “end the cycle of hostility,” if he can.

"... this writer served in Reagan’s White House, and the Gipper was always seeking a way to get the Russians to negotiate. He leapt at the chance for a summit with Mikhail Gorbachev in Geneva and Reykjavik."

“Our goal is peace and prosperity, not war,” says Trump, “unlike other candidates, war and aggression will not be my first instinct.”

He's a fan

Donald Trump’s triumphant march to the nomination in Cleveland, virtually assured by his five-state sweep Tuesday, confirms it, as does his foreign policy address of Wednesday.

Two minutes into his speech before the Center for the National Interest, Trump declared that the “major and overriding theme” of his administration will be — “America first.” Right down the smokestack!

Gutsy and brazen it was to use that phrase, considering the demonization of the great anti-war movement of 1940-41, which was backed by the young patriots John F. Kennedy and his brother Joe, Gerald Ford and Sargent Shriver, and President Hoover and Alice Roosevelt.

Whether the issue is trade, immigration or foreign policy, says Trump, “we are putting the American people first again.” U.S. policy will be dictated by U.S. national interests.

By what he castigated, and what he promised, Trump is repudiating both the fruits of the Obama-Clinton foreign policy, and the legacy of Bush Republicanism and neoconservatism.

When Ronald Reagan went home, says Trump, “our foreign policy began to make less and less sense. Logic was replaced with foolishness and arrogance, which ended in one foreign policy disaster after another.”

He lists the results of 15 years of Bush-Obama wars in the Middle East: civil war, religious fanaticism, thousands of Americans killed, trillions of dollars lost, a vacuum created that ISIS has filled.

Is he wrong here? How have all of these wars availed us? Where is the “New World Order” of which Bush I rhapsodized at the U.N.?

Can anyone argue that our interventions to overthrow regimes and erect democratic states in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya and Yemen have succeeded and been worth the price we have paid in blood and treasure, and the devastation we have left in our wake?

George W. Bush declared that America’s goal would become “to end tyranny in our world.” An utterly utopian delusion, to which Trump retorts by recalling John Quincy Adams’ views on America: “She goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy.”

To the neocons’ worldwide crusade for democracy, Trump’s retort is that it was always a “dangerous idea” to think “we could make Western democracies out of countries that had no experience or interest in becoming Western democracies.”

We are “overextended,” he declared, “We must rebuild our military.” Our NATO allies have been freeloading for half a century.

NAFTA was a lousy deal. In running up $4 trillion in trade surpluses since Bush I, the Chinese have been eating our lunch.

This may be rankest heresy to America’s elites, but Trump outlines a foreign policy past generations would have recognized as common sense: Look out for your own country and your own people first.

Instead of calling President Putin names, Trump says he would talk to the Russians to “end the cycle of hostility,” if he can.

“Ronald Reagan must be rolling over in his grave,” sputtered Sen. Lindsey Graham, who quit the race to avoid a thrashing by the Donald in his home state of South Carolina.

But this writer served in Reagan’s White House, and the Gipper was always seeking a way to get the Russians to negotiate. He leapt at the chance for a summit with Mikhail Gorbachev in Geneva and Reykjavik.

“Our goal is peace and prosperity, not war,” says Trump, “unlike other candidates, war and aggression will not be my first instinct.”

Is that not an old and good Republican tradition?

Dwight Eisenhower ended the war in Korea and kept us out of any other. Richard Nixon ended the war in Vietnam, negotiated arms agreements with Moscow, and made an historic journey to open up Mao’s China.

Reagan used force three times in eight years. He put Marines in Lebanon, liberated Grenada and sent FB-111s over Tripoli to pay Col. Gadhafi back for bombing a Berlin discotheque full of U.S. troops.

Reagan later believed putting those Marines in Lebanon, where 241 were massacred, to be the worst mistake of his presidency.

Military intervention for reasons of ideology or nation building is not an Eisenhower or Nixon or Reagan tradition. It is not a Republican tradition. It is a Bush II-neocon deformity, an aberration that proved disastrous for the United States and the Middle East.

The New York Times headline declared that Trump’s speech was full of “Paradoxes,” adding, “Calls to Fortify Military and to Use It Less.”

But isn’t that what Reagan did? Conduct the greatest military buildup since Ike, then, from a position of strength, negotiate with Moscow a radical reduction in nuclear arms?

“We’re getting out of the nation-building business,” says Trump.

“The nation-state remains the true foundation for happiness and harmony.” No more surrenders of sovereignty on the altars of “globalism.”

Is that not a definition of a patriotism that too many among our arrogant elites believe belongs to yesterday?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 05:08:48 am »
==========================

Fiorina has less than 0% of a clue.  She's not served one single second in uniform, let alone ever set behind a STRATFOR planning desk.

Her thinking is much more likely to start WWIII than Donald Trump's.

Well, I do know Russians living in Russia.  And I have been to Russia.  And I do know that the Russians are not going to screw around playing a guessing game with a Carly Fioriana/Ted Cruz combo.  They WILL launch, you can bet your radiated ass on it.

Americans really are dumber than a box of rocks in their perceived understanding of Russia and all things Russian.  Trump gets it.  Cruz will cause a nuclear war.

Vladimir is that you?  Trump likes to tweet and Putin likes to roam political forums?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:57 am »
http://russia-insider.com/en/trump-sends-neocons-packing-reaganesque-foreign-policy-address/ri14165

Trump Sends Neocons Packing in Reaganesque Foreign Policy Address

"Instead of calling President Putin names, Trump says he would talk to the Russians to “end the cycle of hostility,” if he can.

"... this writer served in Reagan’s White House, and the Gipper was always seeking a way to get the Russians to negotiate. He leapt at the chance for a summit with Mikhail Gorbachev in Geneva and Reykjavik."

He's a fan

Donald Trump’s triumphant march to the nomination in Cleveland, virtually assured by his five-state sweep Tuesday, confirms it, as does his foreign policy address of Wednesday.

Two minutes into his speech before the Center for the National Interest, Trump declared that the “major and overriding theme” of his administration will be — “America first.” Right down the smokestack!

Gutsy and brazen it was to use that phrase, considering the demonization of the great anti-war movement of 1940-41, which was backed by the young patriots John F. Kennedy and his brother Joe, Gerald Ford and Sargent Shriver, and President Hoover and Alice Roosevelt.

Whether the issue is trade, immigration or foreign policy, says Trump, “we are putting the American people first again.” U.S. policy will be dictated by U.S. national interests.

By what he castigated, and what he promised, Trump is repudiating both the fruits of the Obama-Clinton foreign policy, and the legacy of Bush Republicanism and neoconservatism.

When Ronald Reagan went home, says Trump, “our foreign policy began to make less and less sense. Logic was replaced with foolishness and arrogance, which ended in one foreign policy disaster after another.”

He lists the results of 15 years of Bush-Obama wars in the Middle East: civil war, religious fanaticism, thousands of Americans killed, trillions of dollars lost, a vacuum created that ISIS has filled.

Is he wrong here? How have all of these wars availed us? Where is the “New World Order” of which Bush I rhapsodized at the U.N.?

Can anyone argue that our interventions to overthrow regimes and erect democratic states in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya and Yemen have succeeded and been worth the price we have paid in blood and treasure, and the devastation we have left in our wake?

George W. Bush declared that America’s goal would become “to end tyranny in our world.” An utterly utopian delusion, to which Trump retorts by recalling John Quincy Adams’ views on America: “She goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy.”

To the neocons’ worldwide crusade for democracy, Trump’s retort is that it was always a “dangerous idea” to think “we could make Western democracies out of countries that had no experience or interest in becoming Western democracies.”

We are “overextended,” he declared, “We must rebuild our military.” Our NATO allies have been freeloading for half a century.

NAFTA was a lousy deal. In running up $4 trillion in trade surpluses since Bush I, the Chinese have been eating our lunch.

This may be rankest heresy to America’s elites, but Trump outlines a foreign policy past generations would have recognized as common sense: Look out for your own country and your own people first.

Instead of calling President Putin names, Trump says he would talk to the Russians to “end the cycle of hostility,” if he can.

“Ronald Reagan must be rolling over in his grave,” sputtered Sen. Lindsey Graham, who quit the race to avoid a thrashing by the Donald in his home state of South Carolina.

But this writer served in Reagan’s White House, and the Gipper was always seeking a way to get the Russians to negotiate. He leapt at the chance for a summit with Mikhail Gorbachev in Geneva and Reykjavik.

Is that not an old and good Republican tradition?

Dwight Eisenhower ended the war in Korea and kept us out of any other. Richard Nixon ended the war in Vietnam, negotiated arms agreements with Moscow, and made an historic journey to open up Mao’s China.

Reagan used force three times in eight years. He put Marines in Lebanon, liberated Grenada and sent FB-111s over Tripoli to pay Col. Gadhafi back for bombing a Berlin discotheque full of U.S. troops.

Reagan later believed putting those Marines in Lebanon, where 241 were massacred, to be the worst mistake of his presidency.

Military intervention for reasons of ideology or nation building is not an Eisenhower or Nixon or Reagan tradition. It is not a Republican tradition. It is a Bush II-neocon deformity, an aberration that proved disastrous for the United States and the Middle East.

The New York Times headline declared that Trump’s speech was full of “Paradoxes,” adding, “Calls to Fortify Military and to Use It Less.”

But isn’t that what Reagan did? Conduct the greatest military buildup since Ike, then, from a position of strength, negotiate with Moscow a radical reduction in nuclear arms?

“We’re getting out of the nation-building business,” says Trump.

“The nation-state remains the true foundation for happiness and harmony.” No more surrenders of sovereignty on the altars of “globalism.”

Is that not a definition of a patriotism that too many among our arrogant elites believe belongs to yesterday?

Then I guess he is a sucker because you just said Russia would nuke us if Cruz becomes president.  And with Putin he does have a record of aggression.  I guess we need a wimp like Trump to cower under Putins aggression.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 05:18:35 am »
Then I guess he is a sucker because you just said Russia would nuke us if Cruz becomes president.  And with Putin he does have a record of aggression.  I guess we need a wimp like Trump to cower under Putins aggression.

=======================

Carly Fiorina, is that you?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 05:23:55 am »
=======================

Carly Fiorina, is that you?

No, but if there was anyone that I could be compared to I would choose Carly.  She is one strong woman.  She makes Hillary Clinton look like a joke.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 07:09:25 am »
No, but if there was anyone that I could be compared to I would choose Carly.  She is one strong woman.  She makes Hillary Clinton look like a joke.

I'm really enjoying your posts Xena!  You don't take no sh*t, and you tell it like it is, with blunt clear language that even Trump could understand.  I pity the fool who receives your next written bludgeoning!

Offline Cowboyway

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:40 am »

The Russian president said at his annual press conference back in December: “He is saying that he wants to move to a different level of relations with Russia, to a closer, deeper one. How can we not welcome that? Of course, we welcome that.”

Maskirov.  Russians are famous for it.  Know thine enemy.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 09:24:37 am »
Next up will be Chinese premier Li to laud Trump, in spite of his comments about the trade imbalance.  Trump's praise of the "strength" the Chinese government showed in rolling tanks against the Tiananmen Square protesters carries weight with them.

http://www.ijreview.com/2016/01/513180-trumps-comment-about-chinese-government-at-tianenman-square-shows-hes-strongman-america-needs/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:30:38 am by ScottinVA »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 11:15:05 am »
What exactly is the benefit to the US to taking a Hawkish stance vs. Putin? Frankly I see him as doing our dirty work, in terms of fighting Isis (or did).

GOPers need to quit with this ridiculous hawkish stance, it's not the 1980's again. We need to choose our fights, and enemies, carefully and hit them hard when it benefits us.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:08 am »
What exactly is the benefit to the US to taking a Hawkish stance vs. Putin? Frankly I see him as doing our dirty work, in terms of fighting Isis (or did).

GOPers need to quit with this ridiculous hawkish stance, it's not the 1980's again. We need to choose our fights, and enemies, carefully and hit them hard when it benefits us.

What were your thoughts when Obama was caught on microphone saying to Putin,  "Ill have more flexibility after the election" when discussing missle defense? Did you say "smart move Mr. president" , or like the rest of us thought Obama was making a deal with the devil himself?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:15 am »
What were your thoughts when Obama was caught on microphone saying to Putin,  "Ill have more flexibility after the election" when discussing missle defense? Did you say "smart move Mr. president" , or like the rest of us thought Obama was making a deal with the devil himself?

Don't recall having any thoughts, but I definitely support missile defense, if that's what you're asking.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:21 am »

It is a case of our guy being a wimp to Russia. To me Russia is a horrible country with nothing but drunks, hackers,mobsters, and mail order brides.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 11:49:50 am »
:shrug: I guess Trump values his endorsement from Putin.  He would rather be in unity with the Kremlin than with the Republican Party ,  that's what he says   :silly:  Trumpers love it.

When did Trump say this?  Please post a link.

Oh, and "Trumpers" is really snarky.  Did you migrate from FR to post opinions in a reasonable way without fear of mockery or did you come to mock?

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 11:50:47 am »
It is a case of our guy being a wimp to Russia. To me Russia is a horrible country with nothing but drunks, hackers,mobsters, and mail order brides.

I don't really disagree, however, that doesn't necessarily make it a threat.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 12:01:40 pm »
Oh, and "Trumpers" is really snarky.  Did you migrate from FR to post opinions in a reasonable way without fear of mockery or did you come to mock?
Says the person who has called Cruz supporters "Cruzlims."
 **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org