Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423184 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1000 on: April 28, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »
wasn't it originally supposed to have its debut in January or something?

I guess they are taking their time..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

« Reply #1001 on: April 28, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »
They should let me produce a new series. It won't focus on a single ship or crew. I'll call it:

Star Trek: Universe

The opening will have different characters speaking part of the intro

Space, the final frontier.

These are the stories of the Federation Starfleet.

It's endless mission: To explore strange new worlds,

to seek out new life and new civilizations,

to boldly go where where no one has gone before

I envision at least five ships of different classes. Their captain's are brought together by an admiral to discuss the situation in a neglected corner of the federation where Klingons and Romulans share a border region. It seems that both and others have established colonies in systems abandoned by a race called the Durnan, which all mysteriously vanished suddenly. These five ships are assigned by a Starfleet stretched thin after the Dominion War to patrol the sector, try to establish peace between bitterly opposed colonies, investigate the Durnan and other things.

Recently though there have been reports of a possible Borg sphere in the area. One private vessel claims a close contact and that one of its food replicators was beamed off their ship. Analysts say the sphere is likely in bad repair, having somehow survived since the last war with the Borg.
---

I envision the first episode opening with a "Captain's log" entry from a Borg reporting that their sphere was heavily damaged and cut off from the collective. Being cut off killed nearly the entire crew, only a handful survived. They all represent different species, some regained partial memories from before assimilation but all reported bad effects from being cut off. Fortunately the activation of an empty carrier wave mimicking the hive mind, albeit silent, kept them sane.

They had to work out how to be individuals, how to obtain nutrition since the regeneration units no longer function and how to return "home" or rather what is their "home".

--

Do you think it'd be unfair to spend most of the first episode on Borg survivors? lol.

----

I would have 4 units filming separate episodes at the same time, each focused on a different vessel (they can hop in and out for smaller parts in each others episodes) and then every 5th episode involving more or all of them. You might recall some Dr Who episodes that focus on others with the main cast barely popping in to save the day (saves money and time and at least its not a flashback episode)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #1002 on: April 28, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »
wasn't it originally supposed to have its debut in January or something?

January, then May, now they won't even return to production until this summer.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-delayed-again-as-spocks-father-is-cast-965494

I would guess Fall 2018 the way this is going.

geronl

« Reply #1003 on: April 28, 2017, 09:00:49 pm »
January, then May, now they won't even return to production until this summer.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-delayed-again-as-spocks-father-is-cast-965494

I would guess Fall 2018 the way this is going.

and a writers strike might affect it, too

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1004 on: April 30, 2017, 03:25:24 pm »
The who Shaw thing was interesting because she was a scientist who had a strong faith in God that she refused to give up.

Its so rare for Christianity to be treated with anything other than contempt in sci fi that its notable when it isn't.

@Cripplecreek

Well,to be fair,Christianity has done nothing but portray science as an evil instrument of Satan ever since the Middle Ages.

What goes around,comes around.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1005 on: April 30, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »
@Cripplecreek

Well,to be fair,Christianity has done nothing but portray science as an evil instrument of Satan ever since the Middle Ages.

What goes around,comes around.

Well, except for all the Christian scientists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1006 on: April 30, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »
Ridley Scott is one of those enigmatic personalities who defy categorization - maybe intentionally. Who knows? He professes to be an atheist, yet one may discern a reverence for spirituality in many (all) of his serious films.

@LateForLunch

I know nothing about the man other than he puts out very entertaining movies,but MAYBE  he just doesn't accept the western version of God as being anything like an actual God,and is waiting for the "real God" to show up,maybe/probably even in a different form than humanity?

People today,right here in the 21st Century are being murdered for being non-believers because it is "God's will that the unfaithful be put to death".

Religion as we know it and as it is practiced on THIS planet is more of a police state mind control mechanism than an actual belief system. Even "GAWDS" jolly old fat PR guy,Kris Kringle/Santa, "knows what you have been thinking,and knows when you have been naughty or nice..." Hitler and Stalin,as well as every other tyrant in western history,including various Popes had to bust a load considering that one.

Ironically enough,in today's age of instant communications we are now AT the age where God/Big Massa Goobermint really DOES know what you have been thinking,and knows if you have been naughty or nice.

Hard to love a master,but obviously many,many people confuse fear with love.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:36:03 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1007 on: April 30, 2017, 03:37:00 pm »

From what I have seen from the clip, the android killed our makers..

@kevindavis

IF that is so,the android also killed IT'S makers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1008 on: April 30, 2017, 03:39:06 pm »

I'm a bit paranoid.. 

I just don't want the following happen to me:

1. Have a lot of implants and nanites in me.
2. Have a snake inside me
3. or be part of the main course....
4. or have something burst out my stomach
5. or have a creature face hugging and put some kind of alien eggs in me.

But that is just me

@kevindavis

WHAT????

Where is your sense of adventure?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1009 on: April 30, 2017, 03:57:04 pm »
@kevindavis

WHAT????

Where is your sense of adventure?

Mine is in tackling a steak. Not being tackled as a steak.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1010 on: April 30, 2017, 09:01:40 pm »

Here is one of those evil Christians now (Georges Lemaître) likely discussing astrophysics with a Jewish colleague.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1011 on: April 30, 2017, 09:41:03 pm »

@Sanguine

I don't know much about them other than they are a fairly recent construct. The Catholic Church of old would have had them put to death in pots of flaming oil to teach them about Christian kindness and love.

Not that any of the non-Christian religions that I am aware of were any better.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:41:48 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1012 on: May 01, 2017, 12:34:36 am »
@Sanguine

I don't know much about them other than they are a fairly recent construct. The Catholic Church of old would have had them put to death in pots of flaming oil to teach them about Christian kindness and love.

I thought the pots of flaming oil stuff was reserved for suspected crypto-Muslims in Spain.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:34:57 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1013 on: May 01, 2017, 12:53:07 am »
@Sanguine

Wikipedia's List of Catholic cleric-scientists

Please note, the above list is just Catholic clerics (priests, bishops, cardinals, and even a Pope) who made significant contributions to science.

There's also Wikipedia's list of Catholic scientists, scientists who were also members of the Catholic church. Note that while many are "recent" (post, say, 1700) many of the names are older, some dating back as far as the tenth century (Pope Sylvester II, c. 946–1003, was the oldest name I could find on both lists.)
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1014 on: May 01, 2017, 12:53:54 am »
@Sanguine

Galileo, van Leeuwenhoek, Newton, Copernicus, Bacon, and Kepler were Christians. 

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1015 on: May 01, 2017, 01:31:22 am »
Wikipedia's List of Catholic cleric-scientists

Please note, the above list is just Catholic clerics (priests, bishops, cardinals, and even a Pope) who made significant contributions to science.

There's also Wikipedia's list of Catholic scientists, scientists who were also members of the Catholic church. Note that while many are "recent" (post, say, 1700) many of the names are older, some dating back as far as the tenth century (Pope Sylvester II, c. 946–1003, was the oldest name I could find on both lists.)

For the most part the scientists who got into trouble with the church in the past often got into trouble for reasons other than scientific disagreements with the church. For instance Galileo was placed under house arrest for the perception that he personally attacked Pope Urban VIII who had personally supported Galileo to that point.

And on the Protestant side you had men like Cotton Mather who conducted experiments with everything from cross pollination of crops to immunization (Variolation). There were some arguments with the church elders but despite liberal fantasies the Puritans were quite enlightened and his "punishment" amounted to "Don't do this to anyone who doesn't come to you and ask to have it done".

The fact is that a lot of things attributed to Christianity really had very little to do with Christian beliefs and everything to do with people who happened to be Christian falling for popular superstitions of the times they lived in. Increase Mather wrote a letter to local church hierarchy telling them that they needed to shut down the talk of witchcraft because it was pagan superstition. Its no different than people all across the ideological spectrum today falling for conspiracy theories.

geronl

« Reply #1016 on: May 01, 2017, 01:35:04 am »
 8888crybaby

I wanna go back to sci-fi!

I actually liked this last Dr Who episode even though it was formulaic.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1017 on: May 01, 2017, 01:43:46 am »
8888crybaby

I wanna go back to sci-fi!

I actually liked this last Dr Who episode even though it was formulaic.

Skywhale revisited under the Thames.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1018 on: May 01, 2017, 04:47:21 am »
@LateForLunch

I know nothing about the man other than he puts out very entertaining movies,but MAYBE  he just doesn't accept the western version of God as being anything like an actual God,and is waiting for the "real God" to show up,maybe/probably even in a different form than humanity?

People today,right here in the 21st Century are being murdered for being non-believers because it is "God's will that the unfaithful be put to death".

Religion as we know it and as it is practiced on THIS planet is more of a police state mind control mechanism than an actual belief system. Even "GAWDS" jolly old fat PR guy,Kris Kringle/Santa, "knows what you have been thinking,and knows when you have been naughty or nice..." Hitler and Stalin,as well as every other tyrant in western history,including various Popes had to bust a load considering that one.

Ironically enough,in today's age of instant communications we are now AT the age where God/Big Massa Goobermint really DOES know what you have been thinking,and knows if you have been naughty or nice.

Hard to love a master,but obviously many,many people confuse fear with love.

You are rescripting Nietzsche to a large degree in some of those thoughts. In fact, what you express about the "true God" is essentially Nietzsche's point in the essay where he is quoted (more like misquoted, because he never actually wrote or said verbatim) that God was dead. He was most definitely not advocating for atheism, but rather stating that in his view, the conventional view of God that most people held in his time, was dead because it did not serve God so much as human beings (some of whom had less-than-sterling motives in aligning themselves with the divine). No intelligent person would disagree with that, particularly in he context of Nietzsche's time locale (pre-WWI Europe).

Similarly, Emanuel Swedenborg was of the opinion that there is no such thing as Hell, but that Hell was a conceptual construct which served a purpose at an historical phase of human society's development. He did believe in an Afterlife and a Spiritual World in which Hell existed in many regards(practically eternal), but that it was only as eternal as the Soul inhabiting it needed it to be in order to learn something that the Soul needed to learn. In other words, Swedenborg believed that people are only condemned to suffering in the Afterlife by their own essential natures, not by some external, vidictive deity who wants to deny them entry to Heaven the way a bouncer at a Hollywood night club keeps out the riff-raff because they are not well-dressed or rich enough.

Sorry for the digression. Maybe I should have PM'd SP. Back to SF.

There was a telling scene in Prometheus when the Captain of the Engineer's vessel tenderly regards the androd David for a moment, then rips off his head and kills Wyland with it (demonstrating some reslute anger in that action). Clearly the presence of the android (and the fact that it could speak his language) both impressed the Captain and p*ssed him off mightily.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:26:22 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1019 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:35 am »
Galileo, van Leeuwenhoek, Newton, Copernicus, Bacon, and Kepler were Christians.

@Sanguine

Big deal. Everybody alive in the west back then had to claim to be Christian to be allowed to continue living.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #1020 on: May 01, 2017, 07:19:13 am »
@Sanguine

Big deal. Everybody alive in the west back then had to claim to be Christian to be allowed to continue living.

I presume that you have some evidence of this, other than your own intuition?

Let us, pending your gracious provinder of these facts should you be so kind, look instead to the recent past, in the words of Albert Einstein, who though a self-described agnostic, was more likely simply another skeptic awaiting some form of evidence of God's existence that he could accept as valid.

He said once of his distaste for militant atheists:

"T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot hear the music of the spheres."[29][30] Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because "such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook."[31]

This was echoed by CG Jung, who predated Einstein and indeed may have influenced him (though he never made mention of this if true). Jung in regarding his religious/spiritual patients, friends and acquiantences his whole life, formed the opinion that people who had a spiritual dimension to their lives were often healthier physically and mentally, more-successful (self- actualized) less prone to severe, debilitating depression, less-inclined toward self -destructive vices and overall, happier people than atheists.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:28:57 am by LateForLunch »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1021 on: May 01, 2017, 01:43:53 pm »
@LateForLunch

I presume that you have some evidence of this, other than your own intuition?

It's called "history". Look it up. Even devout Christians were murdered by the Catholic Church because they dared to leave it,and it was "Gods will they be killed".

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #1022 on: May 01, 2017, 01:56:05 pm »
@LateForLunch

It's called "history". Look it up. Even devout Christians were murdered by the Catholic Church because they dared to leave it,and it was "Gods will they be killed".

You mean five centuries ago? Before the Enlightenment, I presume? In the time of the Spanish Inquisition and when Cortez conquered the Aztecs? Long before the Magna Carta or the American Revolution. Surely you've heard of the Enlightenment. No?   See, it included an enormous sea change Christian religious reform movement driven by (wait for it) a massive number of devout Christian believers unhappy with conventional religion and its plethora heinous aspects (such as the atrocities you mention). Perhaps you could look it up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:21:58 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1023 on: May 01, 2017, 02:06:28 pm »
@Sanguine

Not so, Pete.  Many of them went beyond merely nominal Christianity and were men of deep faith. 

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1024 on: May 01, 2017, 02:53:02 pm »
Not so, Pete.  Many of them went beyond merely nominal Christianity and were men of deep faith.

I was really impressed with the "Saints and Strangers" miniseries on the National Geographic channel about a year back. I fully expected the typical liberal attack showing the pilgrims as brutal thugs murdering innocent natives but it wasn't at all like that.

Instead it showed the near starving Pilgrims raiding an  indian cache which naturally led to tensions. People on both sides tried to defuse the situation just as people on both sides simply wanted to kill the others. Once the colony got through that first brutal winter (with the help of the natives) a lively cultural exchange took place. Some pilgrims went to live with and learn from the indians and many indian children were sent to live with and learn with the colonists. It was beneficial and all involved knew it.

http://www.saintsandstrangers.com/