Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423171 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:06 pm »
And seldom sweet.  Sometimes a bit sour and bitter, and occasionally astringent.  Altogether to be avoided--progressives are preferred, as they are much more likely to be tender, never having had to do physical labor.

Also, progressives are kinda granola.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #976 on: April 23, 2017, 11:16:24 pm »
uh huh

No to progressives. You would never get the taste of ass out of your mouth.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #978 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:00 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #979 on: April 26, 2017, 03:39:38 pm »
Did Mark Hamill Ruin 'Last Jedi' Twist in 1980s Interview With Gene Siskel?

Ryan Parker
The Hollywood Reporter
April 25, 2017

Odds are, the story has completely changed, but who knows for sure.

Ah! Decades-old spoiler alert!

Mark Hamill may have spilled the beans about his iconic Star Wars character years ago while doing an interview with the late film critic Gene Siskel around the time Return of the Jedi was released.

In the unearthed interview, Hamill said George Lucas explained to him his layout for the prequels and also told Hamill to be ready, because he had plans for Skywalker many years down the road.
More, with video clips

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #982 on: April 27, 2017, 11:54:30 pm »

Cool, I was hoping there would be more to the story on Elizabeth Shaw.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #984 on: April 28, 2017, 01:13:13 am »
Cool, I was hoping there would be more to the story on Elizabeth Shaw.

To be honest that was just a tie in.. I think I just saw I wanted to see. I'm waiting for it to be on streaming.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #985 on: April 28, 2017, 01:17:40 am »

To be honest that was just a tie in.. I think I just saw I wanted to see. I'm waiting for it to be on streaming.

The who Shaw thing was interesting because she was a scientist who had a strong faith in God that she refused to give up.

Its so rare for Christianity to be treated with anything other than contempt in sci fi that its notable when it isn't.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #986 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:16 am »
The who Shaw thing was interesting because she was a scientist who had a strong faith in God that she refused to give up.

Its so rare for Christianity to be treated with anything other than contempt in sci fi that its notable when it isn't.

To be honest with, I was surprised that was in the first place. That is one of the reasons that I liked about Prometheus..

geronl

« Reply #987 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:53 am »

That was fascinating, is this a movie about the android we made meeting our makers? That would be very interesting.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #988 on: April 28, 2017, 02:21:21 pm »
That was fascinating, is this a movie about the android we made meeting our makers? That would be very interesting.

Ridley Scott is one of those enigmatic personalities who defy categorization - maybe intentionally. Who knows? He professes to be an atheist, yet one may discern a reverence for spirituality in many (all) of his serious films. All he will say in any detail about the subject, that I have read or heard, is that he is fascinated by the "process of religious questing" perhaps from a psychological viewpoint of how it effects people both negatively and positively.

Scott may be an example of someone who, though he self-identifies as an atheist, may be more-correctly described as a skeptic waiting for evidence that he can accept of God's existence. If he is keeping his own true feelings about God to himself, he is probably wise, owing to the almost Satanic bigotry and intolerance for theism which exists in his chosen field (film-making). If he did not say that he was an atheist, he might well incur a lot of opposition and interference in his career that he would otherwise not encounter. So I can't fault him for being realistic.

Being a self-identified Jew in Nazi Germany would not have been a good idea either, and sadly we have reached a place that is almost that same level of danger in our current time, in regard to popular attitudes of many of those in power toward Christianity, deism or theism in general. Of all ideologues, I have noticed that militant atheists tend to be among the least tolerant and most vindictive / sadistic of all ideologues.

Note how the principle in Gladiator enters Heaven at the end of his life, even though it was devoted to killing. Also the character Shaw is (whether intentionally or incidentally) a perfect example of a person of faith being sustained by it both materially and through "luck" (which I do not believe in) that is more correctly viewed as "providence". Those would both be concepts more-commonly seen in Christian, Vedantist or Catholic doctrine - the idea that people of faith receive intervention or aid directly from God if they maintain a life of piety and perseverance.

Even if Scott is authentically an atheist as he claims, he is apparently smart and well-informed  enough to understand, as CG Jung did, that people who have strong spirituality are often more successful, personally resilient to crisis, happier, healthier, more benevolent and socially valuable human beings than those who do not. 

See, apart from theological issues, Christianity is one of the most advanced moral systems that the world has ever known. The fundamental doctrines of Christianity align very strongly with most of the fundamental precepts of mental health, especially when applied with honesty, humility and comprehensive respect for the spirit of the teachings.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:26:21 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #989 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »

From what I have seen from the clip, the android killed our makers..

geronl

« Reply #990 on: April 28, 2017, 04:23:48 pm »

say what! That could be interesting

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #991 on: April 28, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »

That's what it looked like to me.

The narration that Shaw had shown great kindness combined with the comment that he was alone again and free to learn all about the makers after putting her in hibernation was kind of ominous.

Also ominous is the line from Ozymandius. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:49:11 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #992 on: April 28, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
say what! That could be interesting

hah hah that's a nice twist I didn't see coming. Scott is a bit of a paranoid when it comes to extraterrestrials. He thinks that they are a real threat and is afraid that they will destroy or subjugate the human race if they do show up. My own feeling is that if they DO exist in some sort of hyper-advanced culture, they would be far more likely to be indifferent to us than a threat.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #993 on: April 28, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »
Ridley Scott is one of those enigmatic personalities who defy categorization - maybe intentionally. Who knows? He professes to be an atheist, yet one may discern a reverence for spirituality in many (all) of his serious films. All he will say in any detail about the subject, that I have read or heard, is that he is fascinated by the "process of religious questing" perhaps from a psychological viewpoint of how it effects people both negatively and positively.

Scott may be an example of someone who, though he self-identifies as an atheist, may be more-correctly described as a skeptic waiting for evidence that he can accept of God's existence. If he is keeping his own true feelings about God to himself, he is probably wise, owing to the almost Satanic bigotry and intolerance for theism which exists in his chosen field (film-making). If he did not say that he was an atheist, he might well incur a lot of opposition and interference in his career that he would otherwise not encounter. So I can't fault him for being realistic.

Being a self-identified Jew in Nazi Germany would not have been a good idea either, and sadly we have reached a place that is almost that same level of danger in our current time, in regard to popular attitudes of many of those in power toward Christianity, deism or theism in general. Of all ideologues, I have noticed that militant atheists tend to be among the least tolerant and most vindictive / sadistic of all ideologues.

Note how the principle in Gladiator enters Heaven at the end of his life, even though it was devoted to killing. Also the character Shaw is (whether intentionally or incidentally) a perfect example of a person of faith being sustained by it both materially and through "luck" (which I do not believe in) that is more correctly viewed as "providence". Those would both be concepts more-commonly seen in Christian, Vedantist or Catholic doctrine - the idea that people of faith receive intervention or aid directly from God if they maintain a life of piety and perseverance.

Even if Scott is authentically an atheist as he claims, he is apparently smart and well-informed  enough to understand, as CG Jung did, that people who have strong spirituality are often more successful, personally resilient to crisis, happier, healthier, more benevolent and socially valuable human beings than those who do not. 

See, apart from theological issues, Christianity is one of the most advanced moral systems that the world has ever known. The fundamental doctrines of Christianity align very strongly with most of the fundamental precepts of mental health, especially when applied with honesty, humility and comprehensive respect for the spirit of the teachings.

There was a time when there was nothing at all controversial about strongly Christian themes in sci fi. The twilight zone with Burgess Meredith as The Obsolete man" showing his bible and explaining that possessing it was enough to draw a death penalty and then  reading the lord's prayer. Meredith calmly awaited his death as the chancellor flung himself at the door in panic.

"The old man in the cave" was another good one with the moral that mankind must have faith to survive.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #994 on: April 28, 2017, 04:46:21 pm »
There was a time when there was nothing at all controversial about strongly Christian themes in sci fi. The twilight zone with Burgess Meredith as The Obsolete man" showing his bible and explaining that possessing it was enough to draw a death penalty and then  reading the lord's prayer. Meredith calmly awaited his death as the chancellor flung himself at the door in panic.

"The old man in the cave" was another good one with the moral that mankind must have faith to survive.

Great post! BTW, those episodes are available for free on YouTube. They have either entered the public domain or else the owners of the copyrights don't care if they are made available to the public.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #995 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:51 pm »

I remember watching Babylon 5 on how respectful that JMS who was an Atheist and he was respectful to Christianity.

Also, I remember watching SGU on how respectful it was to Christianity.. I think the ancients was trying to find someone ;)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #996 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:15 pm »
hah hah that's a nice twist I didn't see coming. Scott is a bit of a paranoid when it comes to extraterrestrials. He thinks that they are a real threat and is afraid that they will destroy or subjugate the human race if they do show up. My own feeling is that if they DO exist in some sort of hyper-advanced culture, they would be far more likely to be indifferent to us than a threat.

I'm a bit paranoid.. 

I just don't want the following happen to me:

1. Have a lot of implants and nanites in me.
2. Have a snake inside me
3. or be part of the main course....
4. or have something burst out my stomach
5. or have a creature face hugging and put some kind of alien eggs in me.

But that is just me

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #997 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:45 pm »

CBS has officially announced some new additions to the cast of Star Trek: Discovery, which is currently filming in Toronto.

The latest installment to the Star Trek franchise, which is slated to debut later this year on CBS All Access, has cast Rekha Sharma, Kenneth Mitchell, Clare McConnell and Damon Runyan as Klingons and Starfleet officers along with a new role for previously announced actor Shazad Latif.

Read More: http://www.treknews.net/2017/04/28/star-trek-discovery-stars-added/

geronl

« Reply #998 on: April 28, 2017, 08:11:36 pm »
wasn't it originally supposed to have its debut in January or something?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #999 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:29 pm »
I don't think that Rekha will shave her hair like Persis...