Author Topic: “A Republic, if you can keep it.” Donald Trump and the Tyranny of the Mob…  (Read 25129 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
don-o.....the above is the type of nonsense and baiting that we Trump supporters face everyday.   Not whining.

Just providing an example as proof.

When the subject is Trump...Godwin's Law is ignored, I guess.   :laugh:

Hitler gained power by means of a plurality in a free and democratic election, by exploiting bad economic times and folks' fears and prejudices through seductive rhetoric blaming cabals and "others".

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
That's true, but he only was able to become dictator after passage of the Enabling Acts in 1933, and those only passed because members of the SS and SA physically intimidated the members of the Reichstag.  We're not remotely at a place where Trump supporters could actually do that even if they wanted to.  There's the Supreme Court, the military, and of course Congress is not the crumbling Reichstag that existed in the early 30's.

It's not going to happen.

True, but it is still wise to perceive parallels from history,  to avoid repeating past tragedies.  The course of future events is a slippery thing.   No one 18 months ago could have foreseen the break-up and demise of the GOP, in an election year where things had been shaping up as conservatives' best opportunity in years.   

Offline libertybele

True, but it is still wise to perceive parallels from history,  to avoid repeating past tragedies.  The course of future events is a slippery thing.   No one 18 months ago could have foreseen the break-up and demise of the GOP, in an election year where things had been shaping up as conservatives' best opportunity in years.   

Indeed.  All it took was one false Messiah who calls himself a Republican.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

Going to church doesn't make a person a Christian. 

Neither does claiming it on the internet.

A-Lert

Also, a reminder to our new ex-TOS friends.....

This is a very lightly modded forum.  The owners and mods have requested that if we see something unacceptable, that we report the post.

They usually don't have to keep a really close eye on us because the vast majority of posters here are polite, even if they are pugnacious.  But if something goes awry (as it sometimes does), they need to be made aware of it, so it can be stopped.

Thanks, I didn't realize that was how the forum was moderated. Now instead of ignoring  I will report all  personal vulgar attacks.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Thanks, I didn't realize that was how the forum was moderated. Now instead of ignoring  I will report all  personal vulgar attacks.

Yep, I'll join.  In fact I'm going back to flag the majority of Arne Fuf's posts where he posts the most vile of insults.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline Mod1

How about reporting only those that actually are personal attacks? That would be quite a relief for the mods. Thank you in advance.

A-Lert

How about reporting only those that actually are personal attacks? That would be quite a relief for the mods. Thank you in advance.

To be clear,  the insult, attack, name calling has to be directed at an individual? Supporting groups and candidates are fair game?

Offline Mod1

Personal attacks on other GBR members are not okay.

We're kind of counting on everyone here to behave like adults. That shouldn't be difficult.

A-Lert

Personal attacks on other GBR members are not okay.

We're kind of counting on everyone here to behave like adults. That shouldn't be difficult.

Well I'm a member and a Trump supporter. Is it acceptable for Trump supporters as a group to be called, idots, fools, dupes, morons, cultists and dumbasses as has happened?

Offline flowers

Offline Mod1

Well I'm a member and a Trump supporter. Is it acceptable for Trump supporters as a group to be called, idots, fools, dupes, morons, cultists and dumbasses as has happened?
"As a group" is not "personal."  That is the distinction.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Group "rights" to safe spaces from criticism is a liberal demand.  Do you really think that your whining is the least bit persuasive?  If you want to defend your hero, then man up.     

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
It is not clear what your point is, but one of the main put-downs of Trump's supporters, is that they are low information, and uneducated.

I can name several that have self-exiled themselves from this site, after being here for years. They grew tired of the put downs. That includes one with a PhD, one a doctor, and others with multiple degrees and professional qualifications.

Cruz and Kasich are now the candidates of the elites, the banks, the political pros, like Rove etc.

So the billionaire real estate mogul who admits to paying off politicians to do his bidding is not a member of the elite, not in cahoots with banks and not in bed with corrupt politicos?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
So the billionaire real estate mogul who admits to paying off politicians to do his bidding is not a member of the elite, not in cahoots with banks and not in bed with corrupt politicos?

Not in the minds of the low information uneducated. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Same old excuse and I am tired of it....bye
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"As a group" is not "personal."  That is the distinction.

You know, our Yankee posters may find that definition a bit confusing, so could you clear something up now, before it comes up?

So, if you're let's say from Georgia, and you say "y'all a fool", that would be an individual insult and not a group insult, right?

Maybe I can answer my own question by reminding that "all y'all" seems to be a broader sort of group, than "y'all".
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

How about letting it fall on the member to whom the insult was thrown?

The last thing YOU need is everybody playing hall monitor.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rat Patrol you know good and well no name calling is allowed here...stop it!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How about letting it fall on the member to whom the insult was thrown?

The last thing YOU need is everybody playing hall monitor.

I prefer that....to tell you the truth but sometimes when I see stuff I will interfere...
Support the USO

Online DCPatriot

Rat Patrol you know good and well no name calling is allowed here...stop it!

Thank you.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Do you really think that your whining is the least bit persuasive? If you want to defend your hero, then man up.   

Do you ant-Trumps think your whining is the least bit persuasive?  Your numbers here are growing, yet Trump keeps schlonging Crusich when voters get to actually cast a real vote.

Seems to me your approach is a total disaster in terms of changing people's minds.  Seems the #NeverTrumps may actually be backfiring on you all in terms of the real world.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Online DCPatriot

I prefer that....to tell you the truth but sometimes when I see stuff I will interfere...

LOL!  My dual monitor is now a single monitor....It just blew up!  Had to reboot right in the middle of my response to you.

I wasn't suggesting you not "interfere".   Heaven forbid!   I was merely trying to let them know in a nice way that if a third party member starts hitting that button every time they see a slight or an insult, you are going to be overwhelmed and in the end probably ignore the tattletale.

We've been self-modding for years....as we've all been through the purges and well....it's no accident that the best people FR ever produced are here...or were here at one time.

I've been out most of the day, so I've missed all the "excitement".

:patriot:

Offline Mesaclone

Indeed.  All it took was one false Messiah who calls himself a Republican.

There is only one "Chosen One" in this race, and its not Donald Trump.

And now Jazz returns with another warning of heading down a Nazi slope by using the "Hitler was elected with pluralities" baloney. Well, so was Abraham Lincoln...so I guess he has that in common with Hitler (using your silly criteria). You AntiTrumpr's keep bringing in this totally ridiculous Hitler analogies...and then are all upset when a counterpoint is made substituting Cruz on a Hitler quote that is so close to something Ted would say, its essentially synonymous. The point, which too many of you were either unable...or more likely unwilling..to get was simple. And that is, that taking a single point of non-relevant similarity...be it winning by a plurality or commentary in Christianity's role in society...is completely absurd. It takes a true nutjob to compare Donald Trump to Hitler in ANY way. Which is why Cruz was compared to Hitler in what was also a ridiculous fashion...which demonstrates the larger point VERY clearly.

So quit with the stupid comparisons of Donald Trump to Hitler...and you won't have to get your feelings hurt with a Hitler quote attached to Cruz's name. They are actions of the same ilk, and that quote was tossed at you in that way to make that point. So if you are going to be aghast over a misdirected quote aligning Cruz and Hitler, you MUST be equally aghast when others make such analogies aimed at Trump. And MANY have done so...in THIS thread, and in many others. By ignoring those instances, you have lost the right to express faux moral outrage over the quote.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:35:29 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

HonestJohn

Wow! After I posted to what looked like an interesting thread, ol' Adolph gets dragged in. So...we defy Godwin's Law here?

:nono:

edit: Really like being able to fix my typos.

Mei two to too!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:35:45 pm by HonestJohn »