Author Topic: Cruz Plans 'Major' Announcement Amid VP Speculation  (Read 14133 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz Plans 'Major' Announcement Amid VP Speculation
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:20:49 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=726028

Newsmax
Cruz Plans 'Major' Announcement Amid VP Speculation
Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:10 AM

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas said in Indiana that he will be making a "major announcement" on Wednesday afternoon amid speculation he will name a running mate even though he trails front-runner Donald Trump.

Cruz says outside an Indianapolis restaurant that Indiana will play a major role in the campaign for the Republican nomination.

He is declining to say what his announcement will be but his aides have identified a "short list" of possible vice presidential candidates. A spokeswoman for Carly Fiorina has confirmed that the former business executive is among those being considered.

Fiorina dropped out of the Republican primary earlier this year and endorsed Cruz.

Cruz cannot get the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the GOP nomination but he's trying to prevent Trump from crossing the delegate threshold and push the Republican race to a contested convention.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Resp3

Re: Cruz Plans 'Major' Announcement Amid VP Speculation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:24:14 pm »
Carly for Veep?

Works for me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:26:59 pm by Resp3 »

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »
I hope not.  He needs a stronger, more recognized running mate to catapult him over the top. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »
I like Carly, as a VP candidate? I guess, I could live with it if she were selected.

She's as smart as a whip really and very articulate.

On the other hand, politically, not really a proven winner.

Offline Jackson

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »
Carly for Veep?

Works for me.

I think it is a smart move now that we are virtually certain that the Dems are going to nominate Hitlery - and a smart move going into California where Fiorina is a known and liked personality.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:54:53 pm »

Another dumb idea, from the brilliant Constitutional scholar from Goldman Sachs, Alberta branch.

It is highly presumptive to name a VP mate, when you are mathematically eliminaTED from winning.

Reasonable people will laugh at him. What is he smoking? Who does he think he is?

But he is anoinTED, so such conceiTEDness should not be unexpecTED.  But it is not smart politics, in this case.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 03:08:05 pm »
Another dumb idea, from the brilliant Constitutional scholar from Goldman Sachs, Alberta branch.

It is highly presumptive to name a VP mate, when you are mathematically eliminaTED from winning.

Reasonable people will laugh at him. What is he smoking? Who does he think he is?

But he is anoinTED, so such conceiTEDness should not be unexpecTED.  But it is not smart politics, in this case.

Actually, the article stated that they are speculating that he's going to name a VP selection.  I don't see Ted doing that.  Why would he?  Seriously, Trump has all but declared himself the nominee and he hasn't even named a VP.  I believe Cruz will be making a much bigger announcement.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HoosierWordsmith

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:17 pm »
Interesting, Cruz has a planned 4 PM rally in Downtown Indy...could be a VP announcement?  Carly has been mentioned and she would be a solid choice.

Thinking about VP, the only candidates that might make a difference would be either Kasich or Rubio...to lend their 150-170 delegates on a second or third ballot?  This would psychologically offset the Trump delegate haul yesterday and give the media a chance to maintain the horse race story?

Guess it's possible that Mike Pence will provide an endorsement for Cruz at the rally?  He's right here in town...they could slip him into the Pan Am Plaza Pavilion quietly!  However, Pence has become a bit unpopular here now!  A Pence endorsement might not help...could provide the media with another bite at the religious zealot wing nut meme for Cruz!

My gut feeling is that after last night Cruz will announce that he is suspending his campaign and supporting Trump.  His odds are too long now and going further could very well put Hillary in the White House.

As it turns out, The Donald also has a scheduled rally at the Indiana Fairgrounds (only a few miles from the Cruz event) at 6 PM this evening...would not be surprised if Trump turns up for the Cruz event to accept Ted's endorsement...then, they drive up to the Fairgrounds and Cruz introduces/endorses Trump to rousing applause!

BTW, I hope Cruz stays in, but the political realities are starting to creep into the picture now...IMHO... :patriot:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »

A joint announcement that Trump has asked Ted to be his VP, and that Ted accepts?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 03:23:25 pm »
The liberal Northeast voted for the NY liberal last night. A storm that has been weathered. Onward to the Midwest and West where it is hoped that the people are more level-headed with conservative values. I saw Cruz speaking this morning. Certainly he will not suspend his campaign - he is well funded and well organized.

I like Carly for VP as well but I agree that it is too early to make an announcement. Hope it is Pence's endorsement.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:23:41 pm »
Interesting, Cruz has a planned 4 PM rally in Downtown Indy...could be a VP announcement?  Carly has been mentioned and she would be a solid choice.

Thinking about VP, the only candidates that might make a difference would be either Kasich or Rubio...to lend their 150-170 delegates on a second or third ballot?  This would psychologically offset the Trump delegate haul yesterday and give the media a chance to maintain the horse race story?

Guess it's possible that Mike Pence will provide an endorsement for Cruz at the rally?  He's right here in town...they could slip him into the Pan Am Plaza Pavilion quietly!  However, Pence has become a bit unpopular here now!  A Pence endorsement might not help...could provide the media with another bite at the religious zealot wing nut meme for Cruz!

My gut feeling is that after last night Cruz will announce that he is suspending his campaign and supporting Trump.  His odds are too long now and going further could very well put Hillary in the White House.

As it turns out, The Donald also has a scheduled rally at the Indiana Fairgrounds (only a few miles from the Cruz event) at 6 PM this evening...would not be surprised if Trump turns up for the Cruz event to accept Ted's endorsement...then, they drive up to the Fairgrounds and Cruz introduces/endorses Trump to rousing applause!

BTW, I hope Cruz stays in, but the political realities are starting to creep into the picture now...IMHO... :patriot:

...hmm...hard to say, but Cruz has worked too hard to gather up votes and delegates to concede before the Indiana primary which is only a few days away. The only way that I would remotely see him throwing his support towards Donny at this point is if Donny promised him the VP spot and he accepted. I would be absolutely shocked.   The stronger possibility is that he has chosen Kasich as his VP (or Rubio) and both of them have given their delegates to him. 

Offline HoosierWordsmith

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:24:04 pm »
A joint announcement that Trump has asked Ted to be his VP, and that Ted accepts?

Crossed my mind, but I think the Donald-Ted relationship is irreversably strained now...stranger things have happened though!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 03:29:07 pm »
Crossed my mind, but I think the Donald-Ted relationship is irreversably strained now...stranger things have happened though!

I'm finding it hard to consider ever voting for DT after some of the noxious things he's said; I can't imagine ever agreeing to work with him!

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 03:33:23 pm »
What the heck is this tone-deaf idiot doing even leaking he's looking for a VP?

REJECTED, it's over.  The more GOP voters see of you and your act, the more DISGUSTED they are with you.   :tongue2:
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline HoosierWordsmith

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 03:34:53 pm »
...hmm...hard to say, but Cruz has worked too hard to gather up votes and delegates to concede before the Indiana primary which is only a few days away. The only way that I would remotely see him throwing his support towards Donny at this point is if Donny promised him the VP spot and he accepted. I would be absolutely shocked.   The stronger possibility is that he has chosen Kasich as his VP (or Rubio) and both of them have given their delegates to him.

Sure, maybe if both Rubio and Kasich both show up today and pledge their 324 delegates to Ted...that could be a momentum changer!  The MSM would go nuts because they really want Hildy to face Trump...but, 954 versus 886 would look pretty even with 502 delegates still available!  This would also wipe out story of the Trump sweep the Northeast last night!  Trump still needs to win 56% of the remaining available delegates to get to 1,237!  We can only hope!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
I hope it's big, big news, enough to change the narrative from Trump's victories yesterday.   

Carly for Veep?   I'd be all for it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 03:39:20 pm »
My guess is that it is an endorsement by Mike Pence.  Selecting a VP running mate at this time, even if it is Fiorina, is just too presumptuous and premature.  Plus, Cruz does not need to give away that bargaining chip just yet, before the convention, when the horse trading for delegates will start in earnest. 

Remember how Lincoln got his nomination in 1860...

"The 1860 Republican Convention"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/chi-chicagodays-republicanconvention-story-story.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:42:55 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 03:40:58 pm »
.../ and a smart move going into California where Fiorina is a known and liked personality.

Fiorina is liked in California?  Now your Cruzoids are just making up crap and hoping it flies.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 03:42:25 pm »
My guess is that it is an endorsement by Mike Pence.  Selecting a VP running mate, even if it is Fiorina, is just too presumptuous.  Plus, Cruz does not need to give away that bargaining chip just yet, before the convention, when the horse trading for delegates will start in earnest. 

Remember how Lincoln got his nomination in 1860...

"The 1860 Republican Convention"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/chi-chicagodays-republicanconvention-story-story.html

This isn't 1860.  Social media and 24/7 news cycles have shown GOP voters REJECTED's act, and they are fleeing him.  Even if he manages to coerce enough delegates, he's alienated too many GOP voters to beat Clinton in the general election.

The good part is, I suppose, is that even though I'll vote for SELECTED because I'm not a Stompy Feet Child, I can blame these very same posters blasting any and all Trump supporters right now and blame them for Clinton.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 03:42:43 pm »
What the heck is this tone-deaf idiot doing even leaking he's looking for a VP?

Cruz has lost it.  Truly, the man has either lost his mind or he's doing coke again.  Those are the only choices.   **nononono*

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:21 pm »
Cruz has lost it.  Truly, the man has either lost his mind or he's doing coke again.  Those are the only choices.   **nononono*

Linky on the coke thing?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »
Even if he manages to coerce enough delegates, he's alienated too many GOP voters to beat Clinton in the general election.

And Trump hasn't?  60% of Republicans don't want him...period.  He's only winning the open primaries because of the split ticket and cross-over Democrat voters, like in Pennsylvania.  Are you OK with Democrat voters helping choose the Republican nominee for president?
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline HoosierWordsmith

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 03:57:46 pm »
Fiorina is liked in California?  Now your Cruzoids are just making up crap and hoping it flies.

Fact, not Crap:  California is Carly's home state.  Fact, not crap: Carly ran against Barbara Boxer for Senate in 2010...is well known in CA.  Fact, not Crap:  Carly is popular among women and among CA Republicans.

Therefore, Carly could help Ted win some conservative districts and delegates, if not the state of CA in the upcoming primary.

Please don't try to get into a battle of wits with Cruz supporters over facts...you appear to be only half prepared!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 04:02:58 pm »

Stop it...you don't have to call a person a liar to get your point across!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 04:09:13 pm by mystery-ak »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 04:04:04 pm »
And Trump hasn't?  60% of Republicans don't want him...period.  He's only winning the open primaries because of the split ticket and cross-over Democrat voters, like in Pennsylvania.  Are you OK with Democrat voters helping choose the Republican nominee for president?

Psst. They are OK with that!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!