Author Topic: Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?  (Read 26665 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?
« on: April 22, 2016, 09:52:10 pm »
Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?

Victor J. Massad
(exclusive to gopbriefingroom.com)

“These conservatives…   they're gonna regret this.  This campaign is gonna be over at some point, and people are gonna have long memories, and I really think it's ... I don't know.  It's unfortunate. “
-Rush Limbaugh, April 4, 2016

In the dialog above, taken from The Rush Limbaugh radio program, Rush is having a conversation with a lifelong Democrat who has changed his party affiliation to “Republican” in order to vote for Donald Trump.  He is talking about a conservative blogger -- one who clearly believes in self-reliance and self-determination -- writing about "white Trump supporters," suggesting perhaps the working class men who support Trump have not had a raise in 15 years because of some failure on their part.  Clearly, Rush was put off by it, not (it appears to me), because Rush necessarily disagreed, but because he knew that a large portion of his audience would be offended by it.  I found the exchange particularly instructive because it goes to the heart of the reason I think Rush has been so cagey and unwilling to stand by his principles throughout these primaries.  The make-up of his audience has shifted from upper middle class to working class, and he is afraid that if he loses the one loyal demographic remaining in his audience, he will have no audience at all.

This audience trend away from upscale toward downscale can be attributed to two long-term trends, both of which have come into focus in recent years.  The first trend is the shrinking middle class.  Thanks to the irrepressible forces of globalization and technology, the vast American middle class has been slowly disappearing since the 1980s.  This has had both positive and negative ramifications, as many people – generally those who learned to harness the power of globalization and technology – have moved up to the upper middle class.  The people left behind have been the largely lower skilled workers who found that both globalization and technology increased the competition for their services.  No employer today can afford to hire a low-skilled trade worker for $25 per hour, and those jobs are not likely to return anytime soon.

The second trend is the movement away from radio listening as a medium of choice for people outside of the home.  In particular, the people in the upper middle class now consume a variety of mobile media ranging from satellite radio, to mobile apps such as Pandora and Spotify, to prerecorded music and programming downloaded and stored on mp3 devices.  The allure of higher quality programming without the barrage of advertising attracted many of Rush Limbaugh's upper-scale listeners away, and with them quite a few of his advertisers.  What ultimately saved his program was the pay-per-action advertising model through companies such as Lifelock, and the loyalty of the working class male.

Given the audience trend, Rush Limbaugh cannot afford to alienate the anti-trade, anti-immigrant working class white males, and so he has artfully straddled the fence in this primary.  Some might argue that at times he has gone beyond that, intentionally puffing Donald Trump in order to inflate his ratings.  At the very least, Rush has intentionally shied away from criticizing Trump’s many departures from conservative doctrine.  This, combined with the efforts of other conservatives -- such as Sean Hannity, Drudge, Breitbart and Ann Coulter --  has had the effect of legitimizing Trump within certain sectors of the conservative movement.  Thoughtful conservatives who demand a certain amount of “purity” from their politicians remain unconvinced that Trump has anything resembling the conservative bona fides necessary for their support.

In the end, it may well be that some in the conservative media have decided that a Trump candidacy is in their best business interest, and therefore why not promote him?  After all, the Trump v Hillary summer and fall will be a ratings bonanza, and the all-but-certain Hillary victory will keep them in business feeding cotton candy to the anti-Hillarys for another eight years.  But there is one big question that remains, and it is this:

After Hillary Clinton is elected and we ponder the degree to which we were betrayed by conservative media, why isn’t Rush Limbaugh worried that true conservatives might have long memories?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:57:03 pm by massadvj »

geronl

Re: Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:19 pm »
Rush has already retired from the Institute of Advanced Conservative Studies and is no longer interested in conservative activism.

I think we need to crown Levin as the new Doctor of Democracy

A-Lert

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:36 pm »
After Hillary Clinton is elected

Appears you are resigned. I'm not. If Hillary is allowed to gain the White House you can KYAGB.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:11:29 pm »

Appears you are resigned. I'm not. If Hillary is allowed to gain the White House you can KYAGB.

No.  It's just that I can read:

NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl   4/10 - 4/14   1000 RV   3.1   50   39   Clinton +11
FOX News   4/11 - 4/13   1021 RV   3.0   48   41   Clinton +7
CBS News   4/8 - 4/12   1098 RV   3.0   50   40   Clinton +10
McClatchy/Marist   3/29 - 3/31   1066 RV   3.0   50   41   Clinton +9
IBD/TIPP   3/28 - 4/2   819 RV   3.5   47   35   Clinton +12
PPP (D)   3/24 - 3/26   1083 RV   3.0   48   41   Clinton +7

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »
I'm trying hard to give Rush the benefit of the doubt, to a point and take him at his word that he is avoiding personal opinion and saying what things appear at face value. It has been hard because there has times he talks about how people are sick of cronyism and corruption and in the same breath, says 'that's why they like Trump', ignoring that he is neck deep in it to the point his face could be in the dictionary for a cronyist.

Still, it is way better than Hannity who has become unlistenable in his slobbering. He is worse than how Chris Matthews treated Obama.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:34:35 pm »
The silver lining is that Trumpism will be repudiated, one way or another.   Unfortunately,  it appears that Trumpism will be repudiated by the voters in the general election, not by conservatives at the convention.   

Given the optimism we all felt 10 months ago, with Clinton reeling and on the ropes,  this is quite the tragedy shaping up.   

As for Rushbo,  it's always a shame when an icon drops trou and bends over.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:40:20 pm »
I'm trying hard to give Rush the benefit of the doubt, to a point and take him at his word that he is avoiding personal opinion and saying what things appear at face value. It has been hard because there has times he talks about how people are sick of cronyism and corruption and in the same breath, says 'that's why they like Trump', ignoring that he is neck deep in it to the point his face could be in the dictionary for a cronyist.

Still, it is way better than Hannity who has become unlistenable in his slobbering. He is worse than how Chris Matthews treated Obama.
Rush has ALWAYS straddled the fence when it comes to political primaries. From what I have seen of his work posted here, this year seems no different. That, and he and Trump have a decent working relationship and I imagine a friendship as well, which would seem to deter him from going after Trump outright. Still, as you mentioned, he's not nearly as bad as some of the sycophants that have gone all-in for Trump, something Rush won't EVER do.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 11:34:32 pm »

Given the optimism we all felt 10 months ago, with Clinton reeling and on the ropes,  this is quite the tragedy shaping up.   

2016 was Hillary's "My Turn" swan song. It was a shoe-in for the GOP... and then her friend Trump happened.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 11:35:39 pm »
Rush has ALWAYS straddled the fence when it comes to political primaries. From what I have seen of his work posted here, this year seems no different. That, and he and Trump have a decent working relationship and I imagine a friendship as well, which would seem to deter him from going after Trump outright. Still, as you mentioned, he's not nearly as bad as some of the sycophants that have gone all-in for Trump, something Rush won't EVER do.

He might as well. He has effectively ceded to him.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 12:07:13 am »

April/May 1980

Gallop  Reagan 32%, Carter 40%, Anderson 21%     :whistle:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 12:12:34 am »

April/May 1980

Gallop  Reagan 32%, Carter 40%, Anderson 21%     :whistle:
Oh, God, here we go again with this nonsense. First off, if the demographics from 1980 were the same as they were in 2012, we'd be talking about Mitt Romney's re-election campaign right now. It's a different country, and not for the better.

Second, and most importantly, third party support is ALWAYS overstated in scientific polling. Anderson only ended up getting 6% of the vote; in other words, the voters indicating they'd vote Anderson ended up voting for one of the major parties (Reagan in this case) instead, just as they always do.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

A-Lert

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 12:13:17 am »

Can you predict the future? November is still 6 months away.  The gloves haven't come off yet.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 12:29:12 am »
Trump is no Ronald Reagan -- not even in the same league.

1) You're using 20/20 hindsight

2) Being Conservatives, of course we'd both make the same statement:  (Trump is no Reagan)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 12:41:21 am »
I have my differences Trump, and I'm no fan to say the least, but I've been hanging out on the Trump Reddit for a few weeks to see what it's about. I think it's a viable future for the "movement". Like him or not, Trump taps into something powerful that people are feeling. My problem with Trumpism is Trump himself. I won't go into that here.

More importantly, at the Trump reddit it's clear that the folks there are mostly young, under 30. Although they have smeared as "racist" and "white nationalist" I think what defines the Trumpites is that they're more against groups who have targeted them: BLM, feminists, berntards, etc. The entire culture has white male heterosexuals in the crosshairs, it's only natural that they'd want to band together for survival. Trump supporters are literally targets for all these shithead groups (and yes there was bad behavior on both sides).

I find the Trump reddit they post more interesting articles that in the other "conservative" sites.

I believe if they could be "brought into the fold" it'd be a powerful addition. Again, my problem is more with Trump than Trumpism.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 02:28:46 am »

If you're going to nominate Trump, then Hillary in the White House is a foreordained conclusion.

A-Lert

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 02:34:41 am »
If you're going to nominate Trump, then Hillary in the White House is a foreordained conclusion.

Well for all of you people who don't care about your 2nd Amendment rights and find a sexual predator enabler acceptable as POTUS, you'll be happy.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 10:29:11 am »
I don't know what's up with Rush, but I won't ditch him entirely.  He deserves a little grace period given his history.  That said, I'm for crowning Levin the Doctor of Constitutional Conservatism.  He's brilliant and works very hard to educate, not just entertain.

Rush and Levin have fought at our sides against liberalism for decades. The speed with which some conservatives have moved to denigrate their service to the cause sickens me. When this mess is over and we and have once again turned our primary focus toward Hillary Clinton, will we continue to question the loyalty of our faithful and tireless warriors? I sure hope not.  (Not directed at you. Just a general observation.)
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 11:29:53 am »
Well for all of you people who don't care about your 2nd Amendment rights and find a sexual predator enabler acceptable as POTUS, you'll be happy.

You're the one who's recklessly indifferent to consequences, not me.   That's why I support Kasich - he's the one who's most likely to deny Clinton the White House.   But you support Trump,  in complete indifference to the reality that he will unite folks from all walks of life in opposition,  and hand Clinton the keys. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 02:09:47 pm »

In 1992 Rush was not afraid to call out Ross Perot as a phony populist.  Now 24 years later Rush is allowing himself to be a phony populist enabler because the phony populist happens to be running as a Republican.  Other than the fact that Trump is running in a primary, I'd like to know what the policy differences are between Perot 1992 and Trump 2016?  As far as I can see, there are none.  So is Rush Limbaugh now against free trade, which has yielded him and everyone else the greatest standard of living in the history of human civilization?  Rush won't even discuss free trade anymore.  He knows the truth, but would rather pander to his audience, the people who feel victimized by free trade. 

Well, in my mind, that makes him no better than OPapaDoc or anyone else who is in the victim-pimping business.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:42:45 pm by massadvj »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »
In 1992 Rush was not afraid to call out Ross Perot as a phony populist.  Now 14 years later Rush is allowing himself to be a phony populist enabler because the phony populist happens to be running as a Republican.  Other than the fact that Trump is running in a primary, I'd like to know what the policy differences are between Perot 1992 and Trump 2016?  As far as I can see, there are none.  So is Rush Limbaugh now against free trade, which has yielded him and everyone else the greatest standard of living in the history of human civilization?  Rush won't even discuss free trade anymore.  He knows the truth, but would rather pander to his audience, the people who feel victimized by free trade. 

Well, in my mind, that makes him no better than OPapaDoc or anyone else who is in the victim-pimping business.

Make that 24 years, during which the GOP has won the presidential popular vote just one time (2004).

Might be time for new paradigms. Free trade, fair trade, smart trade.  Many Americans feel something is dreadfully wrong.

A company moves the manufacturing to Mexico.  And they move the customer service call center to the Philippines. A worker is out of a job at age 49, never to reach the same income again. But the Gazillionaire founder buys another house in some resort location.

It is increasingly hard to convince those voters, that the status quo is really, really worth saving as is.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 02:24:24 pm »
Make that 24 years, during which the GOP has won the presidential popular vote just one time (2004).

Might be time for new paradigms. Free trade, fair trade, smart trade.  Many Americans feel something is dreadfully wrong.

A company moves the manufacturing to Mexico.  And they move the customer service call center to the Philippines. A worker is out of a job at age 49, never to reach the same income again. But the Gazillionaire founder buys another house in some resort location.

It is increasingly hard to convince those voters, that the status quo is really, really worth saving as is.

If you look at popular majority, Democrats have only won it twice and the GOP won it once. Which is amazing in and of itself.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 02:29:41 pm »
Rush and Levin have fought at our sides against liberalism for decades. The speed with which some conservatives have moved to denigrate their service to the cause sickens me. Whetun this mess is over and we and have once again turned our primary focus toward Hillary Clinton, will we continue to question the loyalty of our faithful and tireless warriors? I sure hope not.  (Not directed at you. Just a general observation.)

Trump is clearly not qualified to be president and his nomination will put Hillary in the White House.  Rush knows this.  He's always known this, yet still acts as if Trump is viable.  Instead of shooting straight with his audience, he plays coy to keep them tuning in. 

Doctor of Democracy?  Don't make me laugh!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 02:34:52 pm »

Nothing wrong with new paradigms,  but Trump as the vessel?    I understand folks are hurting, but that's no excuse to put an unstable megalomaniac in the White House.   

TS,  can't you see that Trump is just acting?   He's singing a tune you're grooving to,  but you take it seriously while he's just engaged in exploitation.   

You're not a fool,  your concerns are real.   But Trump thinks you're a fool,  and he's counting that you won't see the con.     
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:36:55 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 02:37:50 pm »

And yet those voters actually believe that Trump can do something about "bringing jobs back."  He can't.  Nobody can.

Those ill educated Trump supporters know nothing about economics or politics, for that matter.   All they know is that this coarse Yankee who talks like they do and hates who they hate tells them he can do it, and they buy it.

He can't, and he won't because he will not occupy the White House.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 02:56:41 pm »

There is something dreadfully wrong.  It's called socialism.  Since 2000 the federal government has been on a borrowing and spending spree that is unprecedented in history.  This has spawned corruption, crony capitalism, restricted upward mobility (particularly for the uneducated), more regulation and empowerment of government to control all aspects of our lives, and capital flight in amounts that are staggering.  Rush Limbaugh well knows this. 

Rush used to educate his audience about all of this.  But it's just a lot easier to point to the immigrants and the trade deals as the culprit to all the problems of the working classes, and so if that is what the audience believes, why argue?  In the end, he is diminished by it because he loses the one thing he has always had before, which is that the truth was on his side.  Now what he does is no more than performance art designed to please a particular audience.