Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39839 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2016, 08:33:06 pm »
The O's are bashers. I'm betting Trumbo hits 50 alone.   Looked it up and like I thought they lead MLB with 188 HR's.  Did you know (like it really matters though), that they have only 5 triples all year, or about 1 every 25 games.  That's weird. 

Good luck to your O's.  Like everyone else, I get sick of the Red Sox and Yankees show.

Don't have much faith in the O's pitchers....and my belief is that great pitching will always stop good hitting.

...especially in a 5 or 7 game series.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:33:33 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2016, 12:13:45 am »
Like everyone else, I get sick of the Red Sox and Yankees show.

It's an even year.  The Giants ought to be in there somewhere. 

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2016, 12:21:45 am »
It's an even year.  The Giants ought to be in there somewhere.

I really feel badly for Nick Markakis, @Polly Ticks

...with the Orioles doing so well right now.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2016, 12:26:13 am »
I really feel badly for Nick Markakis, @Polly Ticks

...with the Orioles doing so well right now.

I can't argue with you about that, but I'm really happy to have him on our team anyway.  Hopefully we'll still have him with us in a couple of years when we should be having quite a bit more success.

Your Nats are having a lovely 4th inning at the moment, by the way.   :#@$%:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2016, 12:28:52 am »
I can't argue with you about that, but I'm really happy to have him on our team anyway.  Hopefully we'll still have him with us in a couple of years when we should be having quite a bit more success.

Your Nats are having a lovely 4th inning at the moment, by the way.   :#@$%:

I have it on in the background.   I'm in the loft.   :laugh:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2016, 12:37:08 am »

I have to leave soon to pick up one of my kids from an event.  This game shouldn't been too difficult for me to walk away from ... !!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2016, 11:05:50 am »
Don't have much faith in the O's pitchers....and my belief is that great pitching will always stop good hitting.

...especially in a 5 or 7 game series.

The Astros just took 2 out of 3 their, but I don't have a lot of faith with the Astros making it into the post season right now, but they still have a slim chance.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2016, 11:36:52 am »
The Astros just took 2 out of 3 their, but I don't have a lot of faith with the Astros making it into the post season right now, but they still have a slim chance.

I agree.   Hell....I'm not even dismissing the Yankees at this point.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2016, 02:09:28 am »
Check this odd story out, like something out of Ripley's Believe It Or Not,  this player is in the minor leagues.

Former Yankees prospect hits grand slam that lands on his car's windshield

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ex-yankees-prospect-hits-grand-slam-lands-windshield-article-1.2761457

That’s going to be one expensive grand slam.

Brandon Thomas, a 25-year-old center fielder of the Gateway Grizzlies of the Frontier League, smashed the windshield of his 2008 Toyota Tundra when he hit a go-ahead grand slam in the third inning of his game Sunday night at GCS Stadium in Sauget, Ill.

Thomas, a former Yankees prospect who played in Single-A Tampa last season, had parked his car just beyond the left field fence but did not realize that his car was in danger when he smacked the home run.

“I didn’t even think about my truck being out there right after I hit the ball,” he told the St. Louis Dispatch. “The only think I was thinking about was whether it would be fair or foul; I knew it was long enough.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2016, 12:24:30 am »
Ah, yes. When I was on Town Team years ago, that was a CONSTANT threat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3jaHzgydE4

In tribute to his just-deceased father.....    8888crybaby
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:17:15 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2016, 11:29:21 pm »
This Angels pitcher works seriously slow. Brett Oberholtzer

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2016, 02:09:34 pm »

Even if we were able to latch the WC2 spot, we don't have a dominant starter like last year.  Don't like our odds at all in a one game playoff.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2016, 02:21:29 pm »
The MLB needs to eject umpire Mike Everitt.

All by his lonesome he managed to eject V-Mart, JD Martinez, Brad Ausmus, and batting coach Wally Joyner.

The guy was calling a screwy strike zone that neither team was thrilled with. It was consistent for both teams but down on their shoelaces.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2016, 06:52:15 pm »
The MLB needs to eject umpire Mike Everitt.

All by his lonesome he managed to eject V-Mart, JD Martinez, Brad Ausmus, and batting coach Wally Joyner.

The guy was calling a screwy strike zone that neither team was thrilled with. It was consistent for both teams but down on their shoelaces.

I was kind of surprised because from what I've seen Everitt is usually a solid ump and a fair one.

Did you remember: Everitt was the poor sap stuck with making the critical call in the infamous Bartman game---he was the left field line ump
when Luis Castillo's foul fly careened toward the stands and Moises Alou couldn't make the play on it. Everitt ruled the ball would have gone
foul with or without Bartman, which was the correct call. It wasn't his fault the Cubs fell apart when Alex Gordon let a sure double play
ball bounce off his chest to open up an eight-run inning when the Cubs were five outs from going to the World Series.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2016, 11:26:33 am »
Even if we were able to latch the WC2 spot, we don't have a dominant starter like last year.  Don't like our odds at all in a one game playoff.

Well, we are only back 3 today, but like you, I'm not sure we'd get anywhere if we got there.
Still been fun to what Altuve, though.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2016, 01:28:46 am »
Nice.

Jacoby Jones first major league hit (Double) gives the Tigers the first lead of the night over the Sox.

Mom in the stands crying.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2016, 01:54:15 am »
And another hit and another RBI for rookie Jacoby Jones.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »
And today, Jacoby Jones scores the winning walk off run on a short pop fly for a sweep of the White Sox.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2016, 08:55:19 pm »
Astros beat a's, 4-3.
Astros 2 back in the wild card chase, as of this morning.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »
Astros beat a's, 4-3.

Too bad the Rangers and Astros aren't in a closer race

The Tigers are all over that wild card slot at a half game out but their season really hinges on the 7 games they still have to play against the Indians.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2016, 03:09:45 pm »
Astros beat a's, 4-3.

Except now the next 13 games are all against 1st place teams.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2016, 03:22:52 pm »
As of this morning.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2016, 03:29:21 pm »
As of this morning.

Thank God for the Twins.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »
Except now the next 13 games are all against 1st place teams.

Yep, starting in Arlington against the Rangers., but it is down to 1 game back today.