Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39891 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #300 on: October 06, 2016, 04:38:17 pm »
If the Rangers make it past Toronto, they'll be the American League team in the World Series.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #301 on: October 06, 2016, 05:19:43 pm »
"Human sacrifice....dogs and cats living together....Mass Hysteria!"

...just like Bill Murray predicted!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #302 on: October 06, 2016, 05:44:20 pm »
They have the post-season experience that the Cubbies don't......and they've got Bumgarner.

Let's see . . .

* The 1960 Pirates didn't have the Yankees' experience (or as many future Hall of Famers) . . . and won a thriller
of a seven-game Series. (Buck Showalter, call your office: Casey Stengel made the same mistake, not going to his
shutdown closer Luis Arroyo in Game Seven---bizarre, considering that in 1949 Stengel went to his then-shutdown
closer Joe Page in the third inning to hold off the Red Sox the rest of the way, until the Yankees could
make a comeback to win the pennant on the last day---not to mention arranging his rotation so that Whitey Ford
only pitched two games, both shutouts.)

* The 1964 Cardinals didn't have the Yankees' postseason experience . . . and won a thriller of a seven-game
Series.

* The 1966 Orioles didn't have the Dodgers' postseason experience . . . and (with a lot of help from Willie Davis's three
errors in a single inning in Game Two) swept the Dodgers.

* The 1969 Mets (with future Hall of Famers Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan) didn't have anybody's postseason experience,
never mind the Orioles' . . . and, after losing Game One, won the next four Series games against a club (with future Hall
of Famers Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, and Jim Palmer) that was supposed to smother them.

* The 1971 Pirates (future Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente and a cast of several) didn't have the Orioles' postseason
experience (Clemente was the last man standing from the Pirates' 1960 World Series triumph) . . . and beat the Orioles
in seven.

* The 1972 Athletics had one less year's World Series experience than the budding Big Red Machine (one) . . . and beat them in
seven.

* The 1979 Pirates, a very different team from the 1971 world champions, had no postseason experience compared to the
Orioles (who still had a few holdovers from their 1970 winners) . . . and won in seven.

* The 1982 St. Louis Cardinals and the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers were teams with no postseason experience (the Cardinals were
a far, far cry from their 1960s teams) until they tangled in the World Series . . . and the Cardinals won in seven.

* The 1984 Tigers and Padres? Neither of those teams as then composed had much postseason experience (a different team of Tigers
lost the 1972 ALCS) . . . and the Tigers beat the Padres in five.

* The 1986 Mets, rebuilt from 1983 up, were in their first postseason against the Red Sox, rebuilt from 1982 up and in their first
postseason since the rebuild . . . and the Mets beat them in seven thrillers. (Well, Games Six and Seven were the real thrillers.)

* The 1987 Twins had no postseason experience (not this edition, anyway) to send against the Cardinals . . . and won in seven.

* The 1990 Reds---extremely different from the 1970s Machine---had no postseason experience compared to the A's . . . and
swept the bastards.

* The 1992 Toronto Blue Jays had no postseason experience since 1985 (and were a very different team by now); the Atlanta Braves
hadn't seen a postseason since 1969 . . . and the Jays beat the Braves in six.

* The 1996 Yankees were seeing the franchise's first postseason since 1981, and with an extremely re-made team to boot . . . and
beat the now-experienced Braves in six.

* The 1997 Florida Marlins were in their sixth year of life as a franchise . . . and beat the now-experienced Cleveland Indians in a
seven-game Series.

* The 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks were even younger as a franchise . . . and beat the well-experienced Yankees in seven.

* The 2002 Anaheim Angels hadn't seen a postseason since a very different club lost the 1986 ALCS . . . and beat the Giants in
seven.

* The 2010 Giants were a different club (completely) to the 2002 edition . . . facing an equally postseason-inexperienced club of
Texas Rangers, and beating them in five.

* The 2015 Royals had only one postseason of experience in that edition, faced a Mets team completely overhauled from their 2000
World Series team and 2007-2008 pennant race collapsers . . . and beat the Mets in five games all of which the Mets could have won
but for their porous defense.

Postseason experience isn't always a guarantor of subsequent postseason conquest.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:48:32 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2016, 06:07:31 pm »
You do realize that if the Cubs win the World Series, this would bring about cataclysmic events that could change life as we know it (Hell freezing over, etc...)?

Seriously, I am with you and will root for the Cubs.

Like I joke with people - if the Cubs win the Series, I think it's in the book of Revelations that it will be the end of the world.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2016, 06:09:32 pm »
I don't like the wild cards, but you had to love Addison Reed pitching like he was pitching his way
up from the Grand Canyon with that bases-loaded third-out punchout!

What a great game!  Very fun to watch.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2016, 07:19:19 pm »
Like I joke with people - if the Cubs win the Series, I think it's in the book of Revelations that it will be the end of the world.

But what if the Serious comes down to the Cubs vs. the Indians? ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #306 on: October 06, 2016, 09:13:25 pm »

So let's root for the Cubs. We're not putting anyone in mortal danger. ;)

:beer:

Why not?
It ought to be fun to see it happen, but there's still that thing in the back of my mind that thinks a giant stay-puff marshmallow will come out and destroy downtown Chicago.

My wife would be happy.
She grew up in Will county, south of Chicago, and one of her favorite memories was watching Cubs baseball with her father.
She used to be able to recite the Cubs 1969 starting line up (Banks, Santo, Kessinger, Billy Williams, etc....).
I haven't asked her in a while if she still remembers it.

You know what they say, if mama's happy, everybody's happy.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #307 on: October 06, 2016, 11:04:54 pm »
Well I see the Rangers decided to go ahead and choke early this time.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #308 on: October 06, 2016, 11:36:03 pm »
Well I see the Blue Jays decided there was no time like the present for revenge over the Rangers' end-of-regular-season-series
shenanigans.

Fixed!

In the immortal words of Chick Hearn, you can put that game in the refrigerator---the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs
are getting cold, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-Oooooooooooooo's jigglin'!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #309 on: October 06, 2016, 11:37:50 pm »
If the Rangers make it past Toronto, they'll be the American League team in the World Series.

And if my Aunt had........she'd be my uncle.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2016, 11:40:14 pm »
And if my Aunt had........she'd be my uncle.

That's why they play five games.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:02 pm »
Their staff is garbage outside of Darvish, and even he has been inconsistent as of late.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #312 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:39 pm »

In this case, more like three.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2016, 12:03:24 am »
25 Rangers, one blowout. 10-1 your final, the Blue Jays committing the right kind of
police brutality.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »
Tribe beats the Red Sox in game one 5-4!!

BELIEVELAND!!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2016, 06:28:37 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2016, 07:09:43 pm »
The running of the Indians' bulls

Oh, GREAT article about the "schooling" of the Red Sox by Terry Francona!

The use of Miller early in the game was brilliant, albeit highly unusual.

We'll see if the new strategy this afternoon has the same results.  It would be nice to go to Fenway 2-0, but Boston's never easy.

(This is fun for me since I had an 8x10 glossy of Tito Francona when I was 11 years old, and he threw in the opening pitch last night.  I LOVE Cleveland!)

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2016, 07:14:03 pm »
Meanwhile, the Rangers still suck.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #318 on: October 07, 2016, 07:33:38 pm »

It wasn't so much the Red Sox he schooled (the Red Sox have also been known to go to a bullpen stopper early
when need be) as everyone in baseball who still thinks it's just blasphemous to bring in your normally late-
inning stoppers as early as the fifth or sooner when you need a stopper. Casey Stengel with Joe Page at the end
of the 1949 season and Hank Bauer with Moe Drabowsky in Game One of the '66 Series set precedents there.
So did Gil Hodges in the 1969 Series when he brought in Nolan Ryan (then a spot starter and reliever) in the
seventh---after starter Gary Gentry tired as he walked the bases loaded with two out---and Ryan pitched the
rest of the way to save it for the Mets.

Ever since the advent of the single-inning closer it's become conventional wisdom to save him for that ninth-inning
lead. And it's bitten a few managers in the ass when they could have used those men an inning or three earlier
to stop the bleeding or protect leads. Tony La Russa learned the hard way in the 1990 World Series:

* He had a 4-3 lead in Game Two entering the eighth but wouldn't even think about bringing in his Hall of Fame
closer Dennis Eckersley.

* Nor did he think about bringing in Dennis the Menace when he had an even tighter 1-0 lead coming into the
eighth in Game Four. He'd have had a Series tied at two games each instead of losing in a sweep to the upstart Reds.

Then there was Davey Johnson, then managing the Mets, getting even crazier to win a key game during 1986, against
a different club of Reds: he brought in one of his two co-closers, Jesse Orosco, to pitch in the eighth inning . . . and
sent his other co-closer Roger McDowell to play right field. Then, he switched them back and forth into extra innings
until the Mets won that game. I think each man pitched about three innings each before it ended.

Two years ago the Giants looked like they had a chance of losing a hard-fought World Series to the upstart Royals.
They saw and raised both the Indians and Stengel, Bauer, and Johnson---they brought in Madison Bumgarner in
the fourth inning. On two days rest, I think it was. And watched him go the rest of the way while they got what they
needed to win the game and the Series. You don't win three Series in five years without being willing to throw The
Book to one side now and then. (Matt Williams blew a National League East he had in the bank because he was
too unwilling to throw The Book to one side when he needed to leave it in the safe in 2015. It wasn't the only
reason he lost his job but it was a huge one.)

And the last I saw Buck Showalter still hadn't found Zach Britton . . .
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:37:08 pm by EasyAce »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2016, 07:33:46 pm »

We'll see if the new strategy this afternoon has the same results.  It would be nice to go to Fenway 2-0, but Boston's never easy.

(This is fun for me since I had an 8x10 glossy of Tito Francona when I was 11 years old, and he threw in the opening pitch last night.  I LOVE Cleveland!)

My father-in-law is a huge Cleveland fan (my wife grew up south of Cleveland), so he's happy today.

As a Sox fan, I am not. Francona is a terrific manager and IMHO, it was a huge mistake for Boston to let him go. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #320 on: October 07, 2016, 08:11:32 pm »
My father-in-law is a huge Cleveland fan (my wife grew up south of Cleveland), so he's happy today.

As a Sox fan, I am not. Francona is a terrific manager and IMHO, it was a huge mistake for Boston to let him go.

But we're thankful they made that mistake.  ^-^

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #321 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:56 pm »
But we're thankful they made that mistake.  ^-^

What you should be thankful for is that the entire middle of the Sox' batting order has decided to go into a batting slump at the same time.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #322 on: October 07, 2016, 08:23:21 pm »
What you should be thankful for is that the entire middle of the Sox' batting order has decided to go into a batting slump at the same time.

Ah, yes.................. but those are some scary dudes in there, and it isn't wise to be comfortable that they will continue slumping.   ^-^

Offline musiclady

« Reply #323 on: October 07, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »
Nice second inning for the Tribe.   :laugh:

Wingnut

« Reply #324 on: October 07, 2016, 09:58:35 pm »
Just a Note:  Cubs still sporting the best Record in MLB.  18-6.

I ain't afraid of no Billy Goat curse.
 :0001:

What Goat you say?   ****slapping