Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39686 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »
My two memorable childhood baseball events...seeing the famous Willie Mays over-the-shoulder catch in CF and seeing Mickey Mantle cry after Bill Mazerowski's walk-off HR to beat the Yankees in the 1960 World Series that had the pirates lose 3 games by scores of 16-3, 10-0, and 12-0.

.....on my grandmother's 13 inch black and white Admiral television.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2016, 04:19:39 pm »
Ryan's my all time favorite too.  Actually got to see every home start '83 - '85.  One of my favorite snapshots was the one I took on the exact pitch he recorded his 4000th K.  Would always go to the game early, and watch him warmup.  Bullpen at the dome was along the foul lines, so you could watch pretty closely.  the sound of the ball hitting the mitt was incredible.  Throwing that fast, just warming up.
Great minds think alike.
I was thinking about  the sound of the Ryan fastball hitting the mitt.
It would sound like a shot!
Went there when he was chasing Walter Johnson.
Packed against Phillies.
Jose Cruz hit a line drive foul towards me that made my life flash before my eyes!
Hit the aisle next to me.
Ryan didn't break the record that start, but did it the next, on the road in Montreal (3,803, i think?).

BYW, did you see last night?
Tribute to 1986.
Showed Ryan, Scott, Bass, Garner, others.
Scott was in the booth with Brown and Ashby.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:24:08 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2016, 04:30:09 pm »
Don't look now Indians.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »
Has anyone seen the news that A Rod is FINALLY retiring as of Friday?

Don't know why this makes me happy but it does. So, I'm buying  :beer:

Btw, are Yankee fans allowed in here? I realize once you get out of the NY/NJ area we aren't very loved.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2016, 05:18:14 pm »
Has anyone seen the news that A Rod is FINALLY retiring as of Friday?

Don't know why this makes me happy but it does. So, I'm buying  :beer:

Btw, are Yankee fans allowed in here? I realize once you get out of the NY/NJ area we aren't very loved.

Hoping the Tigers sweep the other New Yarkers out of Detroit today.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2016, 05:22:46 pm »
Hoping the Tigers sweep the other New Yarkers out of Detroit today.

That picture of the tyger you posted surely will have have them running. So beautiful but so scary. I actually want to steal it for wallpaper.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2016, 06:15:34 pm »
Great minds think alike.
I was thinking about  the sound of the Ryan fastball hitting the mitt.
It would sound like a shot!
Went there when he was chasing Walter Johnson.
Packed against Phillies.
Jose Cruz hit a line drive foul towards me that made my life flash before my eyes!
Hit the aisle next to me.
Ryan didn't break the record that start, but did it the next, on the road in Montreal (3,803, i think?).

BYW, did you see last night?
Tribute to 1986.
Showed Ryan, Scott, Bass, Garner, others.
Scott was in the booth with Brown and Ashby.

Sadly, my little spot here in SE Texas does not have Root Sports, and I don't think I would l get enough use out of MLB TV for the costs.  Plus don't they black out some?   I Do get to see them play when they play the Rangers on FSSW though.

Sounds like you did get a shot a foul ball.  Believe it or not, I've gone to somewhere between 500-600 Astros games in my life, and haven;t come within 10 feet of a foul ball.  Did snag a couple that landed in foul territory during bp, but that doesn't count.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2016, 07:29:26 pm »
@DCPatriot
I guess I am a little younger than you.
I've seen the what you have described, but not live.
My childhood memories go about 1967 to 1975.
Guys like Mays,Aaron, Banks, Brock, Clemente, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Yazstremski, Bench.
Pitchers like Bob Gibson, Ryan,Seaver, catfish, Palmer.

....and alot more names that I am sure will come to mind as soon as I hit the "post" button.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2016, 10:46:05 pm »
Breaking News

Japanese outfielder Ichiro Suzuki of the Miami Marlins becomes 30th MLB player to reach 3000 career hits.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ichiro-suzuki-becomes-30th-player-in-mlb-history-with-3000-hits-223904192.html

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:39 am »
Nice for Ichiro.
Good job.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2016, 12:51:10 am »
Breaking News

Japanese outfielder Ichiro Suzuki of the Miami Marlins becomes 30th MLB player to reach 3000 career hits.

And it was a triple, no less. Very well done!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2016, 12:57:06 am »

Yeah, he's a lock for the HOF.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2016, 01:00:24 pm »
Yeah, he's a lock for the HOF.

Add 1278 hits from Japan, and he now has 22 more than Rose.  Amazing
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:35 pm »

It makes him only the second player to join the 3,000 hit club with a triple. (The first: Paul Molitor.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #215 on: August 09, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »
I see where Tim Tebow is going to try baseball.

Will he have to be a designated hitter so he won't have to throw the ball?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2016, 08:43:23 pm »
Wow, looks like the Tigers "stupid" trade of Prince Fielder was really dodging a bullet in the long run.

Looks like his career is over with this 2nd neck injury.

He was always fun to watch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7FGQls0KM

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2016, 09:06:33 pm »
Wow, looks like the Tigers "stupid" trade of Prince Fielder was really dodging a bullet in the long run.

Looks like his career is over with this 2nd neck injury.

He was always fun to watch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7FGQls0KM

Weird,
he is standing in front of a sign that probably has something to do with health, but you can't see the "h".

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:15 pm »
Seeing these two 1 after the other in the line up probably gave a lot of pitchers nightmares. I hated to see Fielder go but Kinsler was a good trade.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2016, 01:17:42 am »
Breaking News

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ichiro-suzuki-becomes-30th-player-in-mlb-history-with-3000-hits-223904192.html
I never realized he was still playing in MLB. I remember the big splash when he came over from Japan, but he's been very much under the radar for the past decade or so, it seems.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2016, 01:26:31 pm »
Weird,
he is standing in front of a sign that probably has something to do with health, but you can't see the "h".

Early word also has it that Fielder will not forgo the $128M the Rangers owe him the next 5 years.

Sorry Rangers fans :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
A-ROD, 'retiring' Friday, is NOT in the lineup tonight or tomorrow in Boston.

Currently at 696 HRs...with the Green Monster mooning him out there...WTF is going on?

That's rhetorical, of course. 

Although, people offer different opinions, it should be pointed out that Yankee skipper, Girardi said, when asked about Alex not being in the lineup...(paraphrased)...."Sure...of course he wants to play.  Who wants to sit on the bench...but we've got [important] games to win."

Uh, Joe....your brass traded Miller and Chapman just 5.5 games short of the Wildcard berth.   

Don't tell me you are trying to put your best players out there to win the game.   You traded for prospects and cash.

Did the Steinbrenner family suddenly get 'buyer's remorse' of sorts about their new arrangement with Alex?  Do they just want him gone now?

Meh....

I think Girardi's sort of telling the truth, because he's got to be empathetic to the other guys in that lineup who signed with the Yankees on their tradition of winning and ruling the baseball world...and they all bought-in to the idea that we're contending.

Who the hell wants to throw in the towel in August?  'Only' 6 games back in the WC slot?

A manager never wants to lose him team...at game time, he's got to be thinking of only one thing.  WINNING.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:51:10 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »
David Ortiz Bobbleheads are pulled for being "racially insensitive".

:silly:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »
I have thought he'd complain about the stomach girth, but the bobblehead doesn't feature that visual asset whatsoever.

Plus, the raised right hand doesn't match the color of the face.   

I couldn't see anybody tying a horse to it.     LOL

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2016, 06:54:09 pm »
The Nationals’ Werth walk-off bobblehead is borderline obscene and completely terrifying

WJLA’s Alex Parker has been blessing the D.C. sports market with gems this week, but Thursday he tweeted a couple of photographs of a new Nationals giveaway that features Jayson Werth. The pose is from the 2012 NLDS, when Werth hit a walk-off home run against the Cardinals on Oct. 12. It was arguably the most exciting moment in Nationals playoff history, and certainly worthy of commemoration.

But, this bobblehead? This is an abomination.

We won’t even bother with the whole “this thing doesn’t even really look like the guy” bit, because they never really do. That’s fine. But the open mouth? Yes, he did that, but in no way was that the iconic aspect of the play. The jump? Sure. But the state of his face was not.

You have to wonder: who greenlit this? Did they not realize that beyond looking marginally inappropriate, that it’s gross to just have something with a gaping hole in a head as the major feature? And since they didn’t, take a look at this.

more at:   http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/08/21/the-nationals-werth-walk-off-bobblehead-is-borderline-obscene-and-completely-terrifying/