Author Topic: Jerry Falwell, Jr. Has Taken to Mocking God to Support Donald Trump  (Read 1709 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
If Jerry Falwell, Jr. had not gone in the tank enough to support Donald Trump, he’s drown in Team Trump propaganda now and should be ashamed of himself. His latest defense of Donald Trump is to compare Trump to King David.

Speaking to Liberty University’s student paper, Falwell said,

God called King David a man after God’s own heart even though he was an adulterer and a murderer. You have to choose the leader that would make the best king or president and not necessarily someone who would be a good pastor. We’re not voting for pastor-in-chief. It means sometimes we have to choose a person who has the qualities to lead and who can protect our country and bring us back to economic vitality, and it might not be the person we call when we need somebody to give us spiritual counsel...

http://theresurgent.com/jerry-falwell-jr-has-taken-to-mocking-god-to-support-donald-trump/

Offline sinkspur

Re: Jerry Falwell, Jr. Has Taken to Mocking God to Support Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »
Trump lost Campbell County in the Virginia primary.  Campbell County is home to Liberty University, where Fallwell Jr. endorsed Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »
This guys campus doesn't want anything to do with Trump.

http://wset.com/news/local/liberty-university-voters-go-big-for-rubio-and-cruz

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »
So can we now retire that notion that all evangelicals think alike and vote however their alleged "leaders" tell them?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:29:34 pm »
So can we now retire that notion that all evangelicals think alike and vote however their alleged "leaders" tell them?

Only when an even bigger opportunity to bash evangelicals comes along...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »
Only when an even bigger opportunity to bash evangelicals comes along...    :silly:

=====================================

How do we know those bashing Graham are even 'Christian?'

Methinks not.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:50:43 pm »
Gee. The devil makes all sorts of seemingly benign promises, and Jesus, well, He only promises pain in this life and redemption only in some far-off afterlife. By Falwell's measure, the devil should be leader, not Christ.  After all, the devil has a consummate mastery of the art of the deal. Just ask Dr. Faust.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:53:14 pm »
Graham? Do you mean Falwell?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »
God called King David a man after God’s own heart even though he was an adulterer and a murderer. You have to choose the leader that would make the best king or president and not necessarily someone who would be a good pastor. We’re not voting for pastor-in-chief. It means sometimes we have to choose a person who has the qualities to lead and who can protect our country and bring us back to economic vitality, and it might not be the person we call when we need somebody to give us spiritual counsel...

You know, I have refuted both of these arguments for Trump here multiple times.  Neither of them is either logical, nor Biblical....

The comparison with King David is bogus because David was repentant, and he also suffered deeply because of his sins.  You can't just say David was a man after God's own heart and sinful, and leave it there.  Falwell is theologically weak with this pro-Trump talking point.

The "we are not voting for a pastor-in-chief" is also a vacuous argument.  It is not only pastors who need to have integrity.  We expect integrity in people who do business, in our friends, in our families, in ourselves.  Trump's lack of character not only disqualifies him from being a pastor.  It completely disqualifies him from being President.

These arguments are both weak attempts to defend the indefensible.  Trump is amoral, and no Christian should be defending/excusing his lack of morality, as Falwell is doing here.

Jerry Jr. clearly got these talking points from pro-Trump websites, and has decided to ignore what the Bible actually says about sin.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:33:36 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »
=====================================

Methinks not.

We don't have to read the article to use our little talking points, do we, Happy??

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 02:05:56 pm »
What a maroon.    And a totally false recounting of the story of David, who was a man after God’s own heart who failed God horribly AFTER he was made King, and after he was given this great authority and power by God.  But the best part of the “David Story” is not the giant, not his lust for Bathsheba, and the murder of her husband, and his falling away from God in complete shame –but his redemption and God’s redemptive spirit,  that even a man like David who turned his back on God in the worse way, cannot lose God’s love and forgiveness.

Even for those here not Christian or Jew, can appreciate the moral of the story of a father's love and a prodigal son, so beautifully told in the Story of David.    It was not as Jerry stated, a story of God choosing a ungodly man to lead his people.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:29 pm »
Graham? Do you mean Falwell?

===============================

I mean both, actually.

Franklin Graham: 'Zero hope in Republican Party'
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,199032.0.html

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
What a maroon.    And a totally false recounting of the story of David, who was a man after God’s own heart who failed God horribly AFTER he was made King, and after he was given this great authority and power by God.  But the best part of the “David Story” is not the giant, not his lust for Bathsheba, and the murder of her husband, and his falling away from God in complete shame –but his redemption and God’s redemptive spirit,  that even a man like David who turned his back on God in the worse way, cannot lose God’s love and forgiveness.

Even for those here not Christian or Jew, can appreciate the moral of the story of a father's love and a prodigal son, so beautifully told in the Story of David.    It was not as Jerry stated, a story of God choosing a ungodly man to lead his people.

It is merely an attempt of Falwell to excuse his Biblically inexcusable endorsement of an ungodly man.

This King David argument originated elsewhere, and it has been tossed around to try to defend what cannot be defended with truth.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 02:10:53 pm »

That's a cool story. I think I heard it before on an episode of Dateline. I'm not a Christian so I don't know.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 02:13:22 pm »
I was very surprised when Falwell endorsed Trump. My very first inclination when I heard that Falwell had endorsed him was that he received some type of compensation to do so.  I could be wrong, however it does seem that integrity seems to be lacking in both Trump and Falwell Jr. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »
That's a cool story. I think I heard it before on an episode of Dateline. I'm not a Christian so I don't know.
If you want to read the whole story, it's in the Old Testament book of 2 Samuel (that's Second Samuel, not Two Samuel), chapters 11 and 12. There are plenty of online Bibles. I recommend the NIV version, as it's accurate and readable (without the thees, thous and whatever thou wouldst doeths).  ^-^

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 02:44:49 pm »

It is merely an attempt of Falwell to excuse his Biblically inexcusable endorsement of an ungodly man.

This King David argument originated elsewhere, and it has been tossed around to try to defend what cannot be defended with truth.

THE COST OF A KING
The King that comes to mind when thinking of Trump  is not David, but Saul. The greatest “Be careful what you wish for” stories of all time written in the book of  1 Samuel  (one Samuel if trump is reading this). The people of Israel demanded of God a King,  but God said you do not want a King, trust Me. But they continued to demand one of God. So God gave them one, and boy did He. God gives them just what they deserved.   And that brings us to the next part of the story: a man named Saul, and with Saul everything God warned Israel about, beginning with the loss of the freedom they once enjoyed.

With Trump, it’s not a king being demanded, but a bully. A wrecking ball that promises to tear down what God has set up. God is warning us, you don’t want a bully.  Will we listen?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 02:53:08 pm »
THE COST OF A KING
The King that comes to mind when thinking of Trump  is not David, but Saul. The greatest “Be careful what you wish for” stories of all time written in the book of  1 Samuel  (one Samuel if trump is reading this). The people of Israel demanded of God a King,  but God said you do not want a King, trust Me. But they continued to demand one of God. So God gave them one, and boy did He. God gives them just what they deserved.   And that brings us to the next part of the story: a man named Saul, and with Saul everything God warned Israel about, beginning with the loss of the freedom they once enjoyed.

With Trump, it’s not a king being demanded, but a bully. A wrecking ball that promises to tear down what God has set up. God is warning us, you don’t want a bully.  Will we listen?

Perfect, Navy!  Perfect!!

(I don't think America has been listening for quite a while.  And definitely not listening now.........)

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:50 pm »
And here is why they are losing. Yet another emotional, ignorant tirade without any connection to anything but the posters blind hatred for all things Trump.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »
As I said last night, the root problem most of you have with Donald Trump is that it conflicts with your religious beliefs.

...when it's convenient.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 04:41:48 pm »
As I said last night, the root problem most of you have with Donald Trump is that it conflicts with your religious beliefs.

Everyone I would hope (even non-Christians) has a Moral Compass Point to help you discern right and wrong.  If my compass does not point to Trump,  I'm following the compass not the crowd. It's not my "problem" as you say - its the crowds.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »
Everyone I would hope (even non-Christians) has a Moral Compass Point to help you discern right and wrong.  If my compass does not point to Trump,  I'm following the compass not the crowd. It's not my "problem" as you say - its the crowds.

Correct.  It is not 'religious beliefs' as much as it is basic morality, shared by decent people regardless of faith that keeps us from Donald Trump.

The crowds are either ignoring their instincts (religious or not) in order to excuse Trump's amorality, or subverting them to a lower tier that doesn't interfere with their desire for "our bully."  It's not that they don't have the understanding of right and wrong themselves, it's just that they, like Falwell, are choosing to ignore what they know in order to support a strong arm.

IOW, as you said earlier, they are crying for a king (and I think it IS a king they want) and setting aside what they know is wrong about that man who really, really wants to be king.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 04:58:33 pm »

I'm not especially religious, not a regular church-goer. My problem with Trump is that I value integrity, knowledge, and decency and I believe he is deficient in those areas.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 04:59:39 pm »

Trump is amoral and is not presidential.  He never will be presidential.  #NeverTrump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
I'm not especially religious, not a regular church-goer. My problem with Trump is that I value integrity, knowledge, and decency and I believe he is deficient in those areas.

Thank you for saying that, Weird.....

What we have actually seen is a religious fervor from Trump supporters (one today, compared him directly to Jesus Christ, right here on this forum).

It is faithfulness to Biblical principles that keeps some of us from supporting Trump, but the greater force in the anti-Trump movement is repulsion to his indecency, degrading of women, name-calling, violent rhetoric, and unbridled narcissistic ego.......... not to mention his total disregard of the Constitution.

He's not a decent human being, and he will not be a decent human being if elected.   It's not 'religion' that tells us that.  It's having our eyes open and being observant.