Author Topic: Donald Trump – Unfit for Commander in Chief  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Donald Trump – Unfit for Commander in Chief
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:53:03 pm »
http://www.redstate.com/diary/Hooah_Mac/2016/03/04/donald-trump-unfit-commander-chief/

I have not been a prolific writer for the last few years, so I probably need to reintroduce myself.  I served in the Army Reserve for 10 years and spent more than two years overseas in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and later Operation New Dawn.  I fought for what I believed in and have no regrets, but being in war means seeing things you cannot un-see and doing things that you cannot forget.  If you have never been there, just accept that you can perhaps sympathize, but you cannot truly understand.  Thank God you do not have to.

While in Iraq, I suffered a traumatic brain injury in a mortar attack and have had a long road of therapy and life reordering to get back to functional.  Ironically, my first blog post was at Redstate, in the middle of a mortar attack, responding to those in the democratic party who denigrated our mission for political gain.  Although I am now medically retired, I am no less a Soldier.  My oath never expired, and I am still honor bound to defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic.  I have traded in my M16 for a keyboard, but the battle continues.

In the beginning of this political season I was ambivalent about Donald Trump.  Ted Cruz is easy to support as a Constitutional conservative but most of the candidates were at least acceptable.  Things about Donald were troubling, and whether he was a conservative at all became more and more doubtful.  The SC debate brought things to a head.  That is when we heard a Republican candidate for President urinate on my mission in Iraq and on the graves of those who gave their all for it.  Disagreeing about the strategy or even the wisdom of Iraq is fine by me, parroting the “Bush lied, People died” rhetoric of Code Pink and Harry Reid is not.  That is when I decided I could not support Donald Trump.

Tonight, in the Detroit debate, Donald Trump went further.  He doubled down on his claim that American Soldiers should be in the business of assassinating innocent women and children because of the actions of their husbands/fathers.  This is wrong.  This is a war crime.  This is an illegal order.  When he was told U.S. troops do not obey orders to commit war crimes, he responded in typical Trump fashion. “I know leadership, I tell them to do it and they will do it.  I’m a leader.”

This is not just a bad idea.  This is not just embarrassingly stupid.  This is even further trashing of the honor and dignity of the members of the world’s best military.  No Soldier I trained would ever obey that order.  Even worse is to contemplate the soul destroying reality for any that did obey it.  Killing a combatant in defense of yourself and your battle buddies is right and just, but it never leaves you.  In the back of your mind is always the realization that you took a human life, no matter how justified.  How could anyone contemplate putting Soldiers in the position to live the rest of their lives seeing the faces of dead innocent children in their dreams every night?

Donald Trump cannot be the Commander in Chief of the United States Military.  If nothing else convinces you to be #NeverTrump, think of the men and women who offer their lives in defense of your freedom.  Think of what Trump as President means to them in light of what he said at the debate.

In case I was not clear: American Soldiers as a group will NOT obey illegal, unconstitutional orders to commit war crimes.  They will not, and anyone who would consider asking them to should shut up and go home.  Anyone who would consider that does not deserve the votes of the Republican party or of the American people.

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Donald Trump – Unfit for Commander in Chief
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 01:54:15 pm »
Nice you have feelings. Now stop feeling and try thinking

“Conservative” politician talk a good game and then go to DC and accomplish nothing. After 30 years of fail, it time to try another solution. This is a good example of where Conservative fail, they think only as far as the election. Then once they win they go to DC and fail against the inertia of the DC/Media political machine. 1994-2000-2010-2014 are all example of where this “Next election” mindset has failed.

I will as energetically and enthusiastically campaign for Cruz as I do for Trump. I just think Trump is the better vessel for a 1st wave attack on the PC inertia that grips DC. It would be wise for the Cruz supporters to drop the emotions and start thinking. There is a future beyond the election. Just winning the election at all costs is not going to solve your problem.

Trump is merely the 1st wave of a multi wave assault. The 1st wave job in any assault is to shatter the defenses and open the road for the follow up waves. No matter how flawed you think the vessel is, Trump is the best 1st wave political assault team we have had to hand in my lifetime.

We need to use Trump for all he is worth to shatter the  "my party right or wrong" mindset that grips vast swaths of the elctiorate. Break that inertia, get the people thinking outside the party label box and real change is possible. Do not an we slide into a stagnate European style decline that will not end in my lifetime. Cruz shares that agenda point but is not as well equipped by background and media following to achieve that break through as Trump

We either win this now or we have little chance of ever doing it again politically. Once we win we must relentlessly stay on the attack election wave after election wave until we are dead.

I am really not willing to leave this fight to my kids and grand-kids. We have let the ship of state drift since Reagan in the hands of the “smart people”. We failed our duty and must redeem that failure. That is going to be a long difficult  task after so much neglect, so much rot.

This is our generation’s “go” time

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:59:06 pm »
Donald Trump – Unfit for Commander in Chief

Donald Trump is unfit for ANY elective office IMHO and I will NEVER vote for him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
After 30 years of fail, it time to try another solution.

So the solution is committing illegal acts through Totalitarian edicts. That always turned out so well whenever it had been tried before through history, hasn't it?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 02:23:45 pm »
GAJohnnie said:

"It would be wise for the Cruz supporters to drop the emotions and start thinking. There is a future beyond the election. Just winning the election at all costs is not going to solve your problem."

From a post I contributed on a related thread:

"The problem is too many people worship the presidency as if it represented an American monarchy.

Our founding documents elevate the individual, not the president who is merely a temporary steward heading a temporary government.

Patriots love our country, not our temporary government. And patriots fight wars and die for our country; not for a temporary collection of men, or for the latest political government."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:33:24 pm »
GAJohnnie said:

"It would be wise for the Cruz supporters to drop the emotions and start thinking. There is a future beyond the election. Just winning the election at all costs is not going to solve your problem."

"The problem is too many people worship the presidency as if it represented an American monarchy.

Our founding documents elevate the individual, not the president who is merely a temporary steward heading a temporary government.

Patriots love our country, not our temporary government. And patriots fight wars and die for our country; not for a temporary collection of men, or for the latest political government."

Who's the ones being emotional here. The man said he was going to force soldiers to do illegal things and all the Trump supporters can do is seal clap and say it shows his strong leadership style.

This is an indefensible policy Trump is laying out here on many levels. Thinking people know this. Emotional people are too worked up into a frenzy to even consider how bad it is at it's core. Then again, there are Trump supporters condoning violence at political rallies so killing innocent women and children may not be that big a deal.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 02:35:42 pm »
Ronald Reagan has words for the 100%ers.

“A man who is 75-80% on my side is a valued Friend and Ally, not my enemy”.

I know this falls on deaf ears at with 100%ers but the fact remains, We are a Constitutional Republic that rests on the notion that the people’s Representatives in Government know how to compromise and negotiate. Your champion Cruz’s record demonstrates a total inability to actually accomplish anything outside a court room. The Executive/Legislative branches do not work like court rooms.

Trump is merely the 1st wave of a multi wave assault. The 1st wave job in any assault is to shatter the defenses and open the road for the follow up waves. No matter how flawed you think the vessel is, Trump is the best 1st wave political assault team we have had to hand in my lifetime.

We need to use Trump for all he is worth to shatter the corrupt, PC inertia that controls our Government. Break that inertia and change is possible. Do not an we slide into a stagnate European style decline that will not end in my lifetime. Cruz shares that agenda point but is not as well equipped by background and media following to achieve that break through as Trump

This is our generation's “go” time. We either win this now or we have little chance of ever doing it again politically. I am really not willing to leave this fight to my kids and grand-kids.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:35:53 pm »
Anyone still on the TRump bandwagon after that performance last night needs to seek professional medical help IMHO!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 02:37:55 pm »
Fact and reason and honest discussion on one side. Emotional tirades on the other. And the Hate Trump Always squad thinks they are the "smart" ones?

Really sad to see this place descend to the same level as the other site. People use to think here, now it is just emotional all the time.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 02:39:24 pm »
Anyone still on the TRump bandwagon after that performance last night needs to seek professional medical help IMHO!

Stage a 7 on 1 debate against Cruz and see how well he does. Trump did just fine for anyone NOT too busy worshiping a candidate supposed "poltical purity" to think.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »
http://www.redstate.com/diary/Hooah_Mac/2016/03/04/donald-trump-unfit-commander-chief/

Thank you for you service and the commentary.  To me for various reasons, it was very refreshing, uplifting and reassuring.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 02:45:39 pm »
Stage a 7 on 1 debate against Cruz and see how well he does. Trump did just fine for anyone NOT too busy worshiping a candidate supposed "poltical purity" to think.

Donald Trump is a narcissistic jackass just like Obama and the fact that YOU can't see it changes that not one bit!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »
Seems to me all this acrimony is wasted energy.

Trump will win the nomination. Trump can't beat Hillary.

So, how is Congress going to capitulate to President Clinton?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:17 pm »
Nice you have feelings. Now stop feeling and try thinking

“Conservative” politician talk a good game and then go to DC and accomplish nothing. After 30 years of fail, it time to try another solution. This is a good example of where Conservative fail, they think only as far as the election. Then once they win they go to DC and fail against the inertia of the DC/Media political machine. 1994-2000-2010-2014 are all example of where this “Next election” mindset has failed.

I will as energetically and enthusiastically campaign for Cruz as I do for Trump. I just think Trump is the better vessel for a 1st wave attack on the PC inertia that grips DC. It would be wise for the Cruz supporters to drop the emotions and start thinking. There is a future beyond the election. Just winning the election at all costs is not going to solve your problem.

We need to use Trump for all he is worth to shatter the  "my party right or wrong" mindset that grips vast swaths of the elctiorate. Break that inertia, get the people thinking outside the party label box and real change is possible. Do not an we slide into a stagnate European style decline that will not end in my lifetime. Cruz shares that agenda point but is not as well equipped by background and media following to achieve that break through as Trump

We either win this now or we have little chance of ever doing it again politically. Once we win we must relentlessly stay on the attack election wave after election wave until we are dead.

I am really not willing to leave this fight to my kids and grand-kids. We have let the ship of state drift since Reagan in the hands of the “smart people”. We failed our duty and must redeem that failure. That is going to be a long difficult  task after so much neglect, so much rot.

This is our generation’s “go” time

You cut and paste really well, Johnnie. Only, this time, your paste is apropos of nothing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »

:amen:  :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 02:49:51 pm »
GAJohnnie said:

You can't give a coherent retort to this, can you ac?  There is no retort, that's why.

Your boy said he would order the US military to commit war crimes.  That order, by its very issuance, would be grounds for impeachment.

Patriots fight for the country. They don't kill innocent women and children.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 02:51:34 pm »

I know this falls on deaf ears at with 100%ers but the fact remains, We are a Constitutional Republic that rests on the notion that the people’s Representatives in Government know how to compromise and negotiate. Your champion Cruz’s record demonstrates a total inability to actually accomplish anything outside a court room. The Executive/Legislative branches do not work like court rooms.

We need to use Trump for all he is worth to shatter the corrupt, PC inertia that controls our Government. Break that inertia and change is possible. Do not an we slide into a stagnate European style decline that will not end in my lifetime. Cruz shares that agenda point but is not as well equipped by background and media following to achieve that break through as Trump

This is our generation's “go” time. We either win this now or we have little chance of ever doing it again politically. I am really not willing to leave this fight to my kids and grand-kids.

You posted this very same thing ten minutes ago and it's just as meaningless the second time.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 02:54:40 pm »

Nice try. This is well past slight disagreements. Trump is calling for all out criminality in no uncertain terms.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 02:55:26 pm »
Trumps being the only GOP candidate who did not want to start a war with Russia over Syria last fall proves he a lot more fit for CIC then either of the 1st term Senators.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 03:00:00 pm »

Nice non sequitur. They did go after Cruz in greater numbers in the debate Trump skipped. He ended up taking states away from Trump that he thought he had already won on Super Tuesday.

Now can you defend killing innocent women and children by American armed forces? That is what Trump called for last night. You either support it or you don't.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 03:13:49 pm »

Now can you defend killing innocent women and children by American armed forces?

Have you heard of bombing Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Tokyo, Hamburg, Dresden and Berlin for openers?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 03:19:00 pm »
Have you heard of bombing Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Tokyo, Hamburg, Dresden and Berlin for openers?

Nice try. Collateral damage is far different than targeted assassinations.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 03:45:34 pm »

Completely different context, and, besides, what Trump is advocating is expressly against the law.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 04:19:26 pm »
Fact and reason and honest discussion on one side. Emotional tirades on the other. And the Hate Trump Always squad thinks they are the "smart" ones?

Really sad to see this place descend to the same level as the other site. People use to think here, now it is just emotional all the time.
You are so full of feces it's unbelievable. I mean it. You are presented with your candidate's own words, own statements, time and time again, and you continually deny it and accuse us of being emotional, all while you claim to be based on facts and reason while completely ignoring all facts and reason.

People like you are why people like me hate the Trump supporter base. You are hypocrites. Liars. Frauds. Yes, I'm delving into personal attacks, but I have flat-out had enough of this bullcrap. You are a liar and deserve to be called out on it. Now, for the betterment and sake of this board, just shut up and go away.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »
Nice try. Collateral damage is far different than targeted assassinations.

I respect your service. But history records that in those WWII bombings, we aimed to do collateral damage, as a means to demoralize the civilian populations.

It was labeled "strategic bombing," and there was a lot of it. It is worth study.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_bombing_during_World_War_II
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:13:19 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln