Author Topic: Max Boot: Trump is a character test for the GOP  (Read 4280 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Max Boot: Trump is a character test for the GOP
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:58:14 pm »

This election is a battle for the soul of the Republican Party — and of the entire country.

When Ronald Reagan was endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan, he eloquently rejected the “politics of racial hatred and religious bigotry.” When the current Republican frontrunner, Donald Trump, was given three chances by CNN on Sunday to reject an endorsement from Klan leader David Duke, he refused to do so — and used as excuse the astonishing claim that he didn’t know enough about the Klan. Trump subsequently blamed his failure on a malfunctioning earpiece, his version of “the dog ate my homework.”

This is part of a pattern with Trump. One study found that 62% of Trump’s retweets are of white supremacists. He calls Mexican immigrants “rapists” and “drug dealers,” insinuates that a judge is biased against him because the judge is Hispanic, and suggests that all Muslims are suspected terrorists who must be barred from entry into the United States. He doesn’t seem to realize that the U.S. counts on moderate Muslim allies such as Morocco, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and Indonesia to fight terrorism. Branding all Muslims as terrorists is immoral and counterproductive. That's why his idea has been denounced by so many leading Republicans, including Trump’s newest endorser, Chris Christie.

Trump’s most extreme supporters go even further than their candidate. Just in the past few days on Twitter I’ve been called on Twitter “a traitor to america” and told that “Jews want Whites to think… Ethnic identity’s a vice.” It’s not hard to see why bigots are drawn to Trump: He says what they think. The mystery is why more ordinary, decent Americans are not appalled by Trump’s loathsome statements.

He is not a “tell it like it is” iconoclast. He is a bully, braggart, and boor. He knows nothing about public policy. (How will he get Mexico to pay for his wall? He never says.) What he does know is how to offend.

Trump says that John McCain, who volunteered for combat and spent 5½ years in hellish captivity rather than agree to an early release, is “not a hero.” Trump dodged the draft and said that not catching a venereal disease in the swinging ’70s was his “personal Vietnam”--“I felt like a great and very brave soldier.” He has mocked a disabled reporter. He has belittled women such as Rosie O’Donnell and Megyn Kelly in crude terms. He has called Ted Cruz a "bleep" and compared Ben Carson to a child molester.

Trump even threatens his opponents with violence. At a Feb. 23 rally in Las Vegas, he said he’d like “to punch a demonstrator in the face” and lamented that the man “wasn’t being carried out a stretcher.” “Be careful,” Trump often tells anyone speaking out against him, as if he were a mafia don. He wants to change the libel laws so that when journalists write “negative” articles about him, “we can sue them and win lots of money.”

Given Trump’s attitude toward criticism, it should be no surprise that he has nothing but kind words for the world’s worst dictators. He calls Vladimir Putin a “highly respected” leader while excusing his murders of journalist and dissidents (“I think our country does plenty of killing also”). He thought the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989 showed “the power of strength.” Trump even praises Kim Jong-un, North Korea’s third-generation Stalinist dictator. He says “it’s incredible” how Kim was able to dispatch his political opponents. “You gotta give him credit.”

Any American who values our liberties has to be concerned about handing the Oval Office to a man of Trump’s extremist views and volatile temperament. Republicans who have spent years denouncing abuses of executive authority by President Obama will reveal their hypocrisy if they nominate a candidate who seems intent on emulating Vladimir Putin.

This is, in general, a moment of testing for Republicans. It is a character test. Do you believe in the open and inclusive party of Ronald Reagan? Or do you want a bigoted and extremist party in the image of Donald Trump? I have been a Republican my entire life, but I will never support Trump. If voters nominate him, they will confirm everything bad that Democrats have ever said about the GOP.  A Trump nomination will splinter the party, sully its good name — and increase the risk that a dangerous demagogue will assume the most powerful position in the world.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/02/29/trump-tests-republicans-max-boot/81123934/

I'm with Max, if Trump is the nominee, I'm voting 3rd party.. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Max Boot: Trump is a character test for the GOP
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:05:43 pm »
A good read, that deserves a bump.

Trump's moral relativism is especially chilling:

Given Trump’s attitude toward criticism, it should be no surprise that he has nothing but kind words for the world’s worst dictators. He calls Vladimir Putin a “highly respected” leader while excusing his murders of journalist and dissidents (“I think our country does plenty of killing also”). He thought the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989 showed “the power of strength.” Trump even praises Kim Jong-un, North Korea’s third-generation Stalinist dictator. He says “it’s incredible” how Kim was able to dispatch his political opponents. “You gotta give him credit.”

It's also chilling that decent conservatives may have to abandon the GOP in order to save it. 

#NeverTrump
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:08:25 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »
I don't want Trump. I don't trust him.

The reality is, we're going to get Trump, or Hillary.

Now, what do you do? Do you really, honestly think Hillary will be better for the country than Trump? We were told so many times, Dole, McCain, Romney, that person is the nominee, hold your nose and vote for them. Now, the shoe is on the other foot, and the tantrum is bigger than any I have seen from the conservatives/tea partiers.

Disclaimer: Back in 2014, when it was apparent that the newly elected GOP majority in the Senate would do exactly what they've done, (nothing), I had my tantrum. I posted that maybe it would be better to give the Democrats complete control so that the people could experience unrestricted Democrat rule. I was wrong. And I now see that Hillary will continue Obama's work in the most Alinsky way possible.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:22 pm »
Blame Trump and his minions for putting a large number of conservatives in this position.

#Never Trump.  Ever.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:41 pm »
I don't want Trump. I don't trust him.

The reality is, we're going to get Trump, or Hillary.

Now, what do you do? Do you really, honestly think Hillary will be better for the country than Trump? We were told so many times, Dole, McCain, Romney, that person is the nominee, hold your nose and vote for them. Now, the shoe is on the other foot, and the tantrum is bigger than any I have seen from the conservatives/tea partiers.
Disclaimer: Back in 2014, when it was apparent that the newly elected GOP majority in the Senate would do exactly what they've done, (nothing), I had my tantrum. I posted that maybe it would be better to give the Democrats complete control so that the people could experience unrestricted Democrat rule. I was wrong. And I now see that Hillary will continue Obama's work in the most Alinsky way possible.

The so-called "tantrum" is because we have never been told before that we must vote for a man who is a Democrat, corrupt, totally lacking in integrity, pro-abortion, vile, a misogynist, amoral, and more, or we are voting for Hillary.

We've never had such a dire choice before, Relic.  Either give up every principle we have, or be accused of having tantrums, or wanting Hillary to be President.

There are a lot of us who just don't know what we will do if this despicable man becomes our nominee.

Don't fault us for that.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
btw, Trump shows loyalty to Alinsky every bit as much as Hillary does.  He's a master at the craft.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:31:27 pm »
The so-called "tantrum" is because we have never been told before that we must vote for a man who is a Democrat, corrupt, totally lacking in integrity, pro-abortion, vile, a misogynist, amoral, and more, or we are voting for Hillary.

We've never had such a dire choice before, Relic.  Either give up every principle we have, or be accused of having tantrums, or wanting Hillary to be President.

There are a lot of us who just don't know what we will do if this despicable man becomes our nominee.

Don't fault us for that.

Funny, I could alter that just slightly and give you the rationale used for not voting for Romney.

How did that work out?

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:31:56 pm »
btw, Trump shows loyalty to Alinsky every bit as much as Hillary does.  He's a master at the craft.

Don't complain about Hillary when you get her.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 02:41:26 pm »

Character test? The gall! Both establishment parties are full of themselves. We the people is an afterthought to the effluvium occupying seats in congress. The nerve of these people. I haven't felt I have had a say in what happens in DC in ages.

Finally, we have a breath of fresh air in the candidacy of Donald Trump, and the insiders are doing everything they can to derail him, even to the point of risking a democrat win.

RNC/GOP are experts in sleazy tactics, like lying and mud slinging. And on it goes.

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
You would have to alter it more than just slightly. They are men of entirely different character.

No, no I wouldn't. I remember vividly the things said about Romney, and why people were going to stay home.

I never doubted Romney's character, and I would agree, from this vantage point, Trump's character pales in comparison to Romney. However, even though I strongly supported Romney, I was sure he'd do some capitulating to the Democrats.

While I don't care for Trump, I have to admit, I completely enjoy watching the establishment soil themselves because they have a candidate they can't control. And that is one of the major reasons Trump is going to win the nomination.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
Don't complain about Hillary when you get her.

So a third of GOP voters opt to nominate a man completely devoid of integrity, who also happens to be a pro-abortion leftist, and it's my fault that I'm having trouble with the idea of voting for him.

Yeah................ right...................

(I'm not susceptible to being bullied, Relic.  I never have been.  Not since I was an itty bitty little girl).

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:01:10 pm »

Finally, we have a breath of fresh air in the candidacy of Donald Trump, and the insiders are doing everything they can to derail him, even to the point of risking a democrat win.

I'm no "insider", I'm an average American.   And what I smell around Trump is the fetid air of the sewer.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
You would have to alter it more than just slightly. They are men of entirely different character.

A fact that is clearly obvious, making the parallel meaningless.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »
No, no I wouldn't. I remember vividly the things said about Romney, and why people were going to stay home.

I never doubted Romney's character, and I would agree, from this vantage point, Trump's character pales in comparison to Romney. However, even though I strongly supported Romney, I was sure he'd do some capitulating to the Democrats.

While I don't care for Trump, I have to admit, I completely enjoy watching the establishment soil themselves because they have a candidate they can't control. And that is one of the major reasons Trump is going to win the nomination.

Something I found on an other website:

"I can vividly recall the angst at Reagan when he ran. The establishment wanted him out badly. The Ford and Rockefeller wing were working feverishly to upend him. Bush would say things like, “At least I flew a real plane and not a make believe one.”
Many many people feared that Reagan would get us into another big war, and that he was a mean an angry person. People thought this without hearing the man speak or reading his words.

THEY WERE SUFFERING FROM RDS, (REAGAN DERANGEMENT SYNDROME), much like those suffering from TDS today.

Fact is, once people heard Reagan, in the debates and in person, they melted. It was very much a movement, like it is today."

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 03:14:05 pm »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 03:17:17 pm »
So a third of GOP voters opt to nominate a man completely devoid of integrity, who also happens to be a pro-abortion leftist, and it's my fault that I'm having trouble with the idea of voting for him.

(I'm not susceptible to being bullied, Relic.  I never have been.  Not since I was an itty bitty little girl).

Sorry if you see facts as bullying. How many people did you chastise for not voting for Romney? Oh, that's right, their concerns didn't matter, but now that you have concerns, it's different, right?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:32 pm »
Sorry if you see facts as bullying. How many people did you chastise for not voting for Romney? Oh, that's right, their concerns didn't matter, but now that you have concerns, it's different, right?

The people I chastised for not voting for Romney were the ones who did so based on his being a Mormon.

And I didn't refer to "facts" as bullying.  I referred to bullying as bullying. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 04:11:29 pm »

Funny, I thought that Character mattered..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 04:14:31 pm »

Offline Relic

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 04:21:24 pm »

Scream and cry all you want, your choice will be Trump or Hillary. Nothing you can do will change that.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 04:24:43 pm »
Scream and cry all you want, your choice will be Trump or Hillary. Nothing you can do will change that.

What makes you think I'll be voting for Trump?? I'm with Ben Sasse from Nebraska..

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »

Funny, I thought that Character mattered..

Apparently only when the candidate has a "D" after his or her name......

(And not even when the "R" is actually a "D")

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 04:27:39 pm »
Mmmm...smell that?  I love the smell of B.S. in the morning...it smells like...victory.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Relic

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 04:27:52 pm »

What makes you think I'll be voting for Trump?? I'm with Ben Sasse from Nebraska..

I don't care who you vote for. I don't care if you leave the country. The president will be Donald Trump, or Hillary Clinton.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 04:30:13 pm »
Apparently only when the candidate has a "D" after his or her name......

(And not even when the "R" is actually a "D")

I guess..