Author Topic: S.C. Governor Nikki Haley: Anyone but Trump  (Read 4601 times)

HAPPY2BME

S.C. Governor Nikki Haley: Anyone but Trump
« on: February 17, 2016, 03:18:29 pm »
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley says she may not endorse anyone ahead of Saturday's first-in-the-South GOP primary, but if she does, it certainly won't be Donald Trump.

Haley said Tuesday she's still trying to make up her mind. But she said Trump represents "everything a governor doesn't want in a president." On Monday, Trump said Haley's not fighting the federal government hard enough on Syrian refugees and Guantanamo detainees.

Haley says Trump doesn't know what he's talking about. She says governors want a president who will work with and fight for them, not come into their state and bash them. She called Trump's comments "quite Obama-like."

Haley also said she was embarrassed for her daughter's sake at Saturday's debate, when Trump criticized former President George W. Bush's handling of 9/11.

During Saturday night's GOP debate, Trump was asked whether he stood by a 2008 interview where he said it would have "been a wonderful thing" if Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi had tried to impeach Bush for starting the war. Amid Trump's criticism, his fellow presidential candidate, Jeb Bush, said he was "sick and tired of [Trump] going after my family."

As Bush defended his brother's ability to keep the nation safe, Trump said, "The World Trade Center came down."

In an interview with "Face the Nation" after the debate, Trump said, "I am not blaming [President Bush], although...the CIA said there was a lot of information that something like that was going to happen. I'm not blaming anybody. It's a tragedy." He called it "worse than Pearl Harbor because you're talking about civilians.

CBS News Political Director and FACE THE NATION anchor John Dickerson sits down for an interview with Donald Trump after the CBS News Republican Presidential Debate at the Peace Center in Greenville, South Carolina on Saturday, February 13, 2016 on the CBS Television Network.

"Now, could he have done something about it? His CIA knew about things happening... but when Jeb gets up and says, we were safe under his brother, we weren't safe," Trump added.

He also said "I'm not blaming anybody" for saying there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, which turned out to be false.

"I'm just saying he went in there, he thought there were weapons of mass destruction, maybe or maybe he didn't," Trump said. "If he knew that there weren't weapons of mass destruction and if he used that as an excuse to go in and try to make up for some sins for previous years then it would be a lie."

He was still harsh about Bush's decision to push for the war in Iraq, saying it was a "disaster" that may lead to "the destruction of Europe" because of migrants fleeing the region.

"We would have been so much better off if Bush and the rest of them went to the beach and didn't do anything. If you had Saddam Hussein, he was a bad guy and all of that, but he made a living off killing terrorists. Now if you want to become a terrorist you go to Iraq. That's like the Harvard of terrorism," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-carolina-governor-nikki-haley-anyone-but-trump/

HAPPY2BME

Re: S.C. Governor Nikki Haley: Anyone but Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 03:18:40 pm »
Donald Trump Responds To Nikki Haley Criticism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL4g5Zn9htk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:19:22 pm by HAPPY2BME »

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 03:21:21 pm »
Just a week ago, everyone was talking about Haley as a likely VP pick.  Since neither Jeb nor Rubio is likely to be the nominee, I would say her chances are not very high.

Nikki Haley, apologizing for using 'Rubio' and 'amnesty' in same sentence, again bashes Trump

South Carolina governor Nikki Haley apologized for implying that Marco Rubio supported amnesty for illegal aliens and again bashed Donald Trump.

Nikki Haley said late Wednesday that she had misspoken when she said that Marco Rubio was for "amnesty" and that Jeb Bush had passed Common Core, the controversial educational standards.

"I talked about Marco Rubio – you know, I'm against his Gang of Eight bill. He is not for amnesty, but I was against his Gang of Eight bill," she told host Greta Van Susteren. "Gov. Bush, he supported Common Core, certainly didn't pass it, but supported it."

"What I meant was I didn't agree with him on the Gang of Eight Bill,"Haley repeated, reiterating that she didn't mean to say he was for "amnesty."

That's funny, because Rubio says he does support a path to citizenship for illegal aliens.  It's painful to watch Haley split hairs and apologize for saying what everyone knows.

And then Haley attacked Donald Trump even more explicitly.

Ms. Haley acknowledged on Wednesday morning that she was referring to Mr. Trump when she warned Americans not to follow the angriest voices in politics. "Mr. Trump has definitely contributed to what I think is just irresponsible talk," she told the "Today" show on NBC.

Frank Luntz, the Republican pollster, noted that Democrats liked the idea that a leading Republican was blaming her own party for the hostile tone of politics.

It looks as though she's proving very popular with some voters, at least.

For me, it looks as though she's just another establishment, pro-amnesty politician.  What's even worse is that she's an awful speaker.  Haley speaks in a painfully slow, rehearsed-sounding tone that sounds as if she's talking to five-year-olds.  Her jaw doesn't move, and she looks as if she is talking through clenched teeth.  If she were a white male politician, there is no way she would have been picked to give the State of the Union response with such pathetic speaking skills.

Just a week ago, everyone was talking about Haley as a likely VP pick.  Since neither Jeb nor Rubio is likely to be the nominee, I would say her chances are not very high.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/01/nikki_haley_apologizing_for_using_rubio_and_amnesty_in_same_sentence_again_bashes_trump.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:30:46 pm by HAPPY2BME »

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:22:17 pm »
Ann Coulter: Trump 'should deport' Nikki Haley
Conservatives slam Republican governor for SOTU response

“Trump should deport Nikki Haley,” Coulter wrote, slamming the governor for her views on immigration, which included an embrace of those who want to “work hard.

As Coulter pointed out in another tweet: “Nikki Haley: ‘No one who is willing to work hard should ever be turned away.’ That’s the definition of open borders.”

But she was only getting warmed up, as the Hill reported.

Coulter also put on Twitter: “Nikki Haley says ‘welcoming properly vetted legal immigrants, regardless of religion.’ Translation: let in all the Muslims.

And another: “Hey Nikki – how can you ‘vet’ if you can’t look at religion?

Another: “Haley: Let in unlimited immigrants ‘just like we have for centuries.’ Has she read a history book? Coolidge shut it down for 1/2 a century.”

And one more: “Nikki Haley: ‘The best thing we can do is turn down the volume.’ Translation: Voters need to shut the hell up.”

Coulter was hardly the only conservative voice angered by Haley’s remarks.

Radio host Laura Ingraham tweeted: “Too bad @NikkiHaley missed her oppty to stand w/ working ppl who want borders enforce[d], American workers put first, govt shrunk.”

As NBC News reported, the portion of Haley’s response that seemed to spark the most ire was when she subtly referenced Donald Trump’s rhetoric on immigration and said, “there’s a tendency to falsely equate noise with results.”

http://www.wnd.com/2016/01/ann-coulter-on-nikki-haley-trump-should-deport-her/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:36:15 pm by HAPPY2BME »

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »
Nikki Haley says Marco Rubio ‘believes in amnesty,’ then walks it back, complicating his South Carolina campaign

Later, in an interview with Fox News, she walked it back.

"I'm against his Gang of Eight bill. He is not for amnesty, but I was against his Gang of Eight bill," she said, referencing the bipartisan group Rubio once belonged to that pushed comprehensive immigration reform legislation.

Moments after that, Haley elaborated.

"It's been a long couple of days," she said. "What I said was that I didn't agree with him -- I meant what I didn't agree with him was on the Gang of Eight bill. I said that he wasn't for amnesty. That's not what I meant. What I meant was that he supported the Gang of Eight bill and I did not."

Spokesmen for Rubio and Haley did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether the Rubio campaign and Haley's office were in touch after Haley's initial comment.

Haley's remarks complicates matters for Rubio in the state that goes third in the nominating process for several reasons.

They called attention to a sensitive area for Rubio, who has come under increasing attacks from GOP rivals and their supporters charging that Rubio supports "amnesty" because he once pushed comprehensive immigration reform or because he currently supports a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Rubio has pushed back on the campaign trail, saying frequently lately that he doesn't support "amnesty."

South Carolina is a state where Rubio is competing hard. It also happens to be the state hosting the next televised Republican debate on Thursday night.

Haley is neutral in the Republican primary and she is an emerging national figure. What she says about the campaign attracts attention -- inside and outside South Carolina.

Even though she walked back her remarks, she gave fodder to Rubio's opponents, who can now say that the state's neutral Republican governor takes issue with at least part of Rubio's record on immigration. And they can raise questions about why she said he supports "amnesty" in the first place.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/13/nikki-haley-says-marco-rubio-believes-in-amnesty-then-walks-it-back-complicating-his-south-carolina-campaign/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:40:17 pm by HAPPY2BME »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:53:11 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 03:59:41 pm »
Dr. James Dobson’s Call to S.C.: A Vote for Anyone but Cruz Is a Vote for Trump

http://thepulse2016.com/maggie-gallagher/2016/02/16/dr-james-dobsons-call-to-s-c-a-vote-for-anyone-but-cruz-is-a-vote-for-trump/

Dr. Dobson is EXACTLY right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 04:00:36 pm »
Right on, Nikki Haley - ANYONE BUT TRUMP. 

Deport hatred - deport Coulter and Trump. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 04:02:57 pm »
Dr. James Dobson’s Call to S.C.: A Vote for Anyone but Cruz Is a Vote for Trump

http://thepulse2016.com/maggie-gallagher/2016/02/16/dr-james-dobsons-call-to-s-c-a-vote-for-anyone-but-cruz-is-a-vote-for-trump/

Dr. Dobson is EXACTLY right!

I tend to agree, and I'm a Kasich supporter.   The SC and upcoming Southern primaries are where Cruz is deputized to stop the madman.   Kasich needs to stay alive to fight in Michigan and elsewhere.  But in SC,  the tactic should perhaps be to unite behind Cruz in order to rebuke Trump.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:03:30 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:28:37 pm »
Niki lost me when she had that flag taken down. Showed her true colors. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:33 pm »
Niki lost me when she had that flag taken down. Showed her true colors.

American?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 09:57:48 pm »
Naughty Nikki, the Sikh evangelist, was against Rubio's amnesty before she was for it. Or whatever.  It's BEEN A LONG WEEK!  Don't vote Trump because it will MAKE YOU ANGRY!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 10:07:35 pm »
Haley and Rubio share similar backgrounds. They are both 44-year-old children of immigrants who were elected to their current seats in the Tea Party fervor of 2010.

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio will win South Carolina’s most Republican coveted endorsement of the 2016 presidential race when Gov. Nikki Haley announces her support at a Chapin rally on Wednesday evening, a source with knowledge of the governor’s decision told The State.

Haley, the state’s most popular GOP politician in polls, has decided to back the establishment candidate considered to be in best position to challenge Republican front-runners Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who has shared advice on education issues with the governor and helped her raise money for her re-election bid in 2014, also was considered a top contender to win Haley’s endorsement.

But he has lagged in recent S.C. polls, falling to fifth in the six-candidate GOP field. Rubio sits third.

Haley’s decision was a bit of a reversal in the past day. The governor told reporters Tuesday that she had not made up her mind on who to back in the 2016 race.

She endorsed Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. While the former Massachusetts governor won the GOP nomination, he lost the S.C. primary to former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich, breaking the state’s three-decade streak of voting for the candidate who landed on the November ballot.

Haley has become a favorite to make vice presidential short lists after her handling of last year’s Charleston shooting and successful call to remove the Confederate flag from the S.C. State House grounds. She gave the Republican response to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union last month.

The governor’s endorsement comes at a critical time for Rubio.

The Florida senator needs momentum in South Carolina after finishing fifth in New Hampshire after a rattled debate performance. Rubio trails Trump and Cruz in the Palmetto State with three days ahead of the S.C. GOP presidential primary on Saturday.

Haley joins U.S. Sen. Tim Scott of North Charleston, the only African-American Republican in the Senate, and U.S. Rep. Trey Gowdy, a Spartanburg Republican who heads a special panel investigating the Benghazi attack, in endorsing Rubio.

Rubio has had success wooing financial support in the state.

He met major GOP donor Hank Scott, chief executive of an Allendale lumber products company, at the S.C. GOP party’s annual dinner in 2012. Scott would later choose to back Rubio for president and donate a total of $200,000 to a pro-Rubio PAC, the largest contributions tied to the presidential race from a South Carolinian.

Haley and Rubio share similar backgrounds. They are both 44-year-old children of immigrants who were elected to their current seats in the Tea Party fervor of 2010.

Rubio first met Haley when they were first running for their current offices. The senator spoke at the S.C. GOP party’s annual dinner in 2012, a way for him to start building relationships in early-primary state.

They have communicated while Rubio has been on the trail. The senator also has said during stops in South Carolina this week how Haley would make a good vice president.

Haley has been battling with Trump. She said she was referring to him as one of the “angriest voices” in her State of the Union response and criticized him over his combative campaigning.

The daughter of Indian immigrants called Trump’s proposal to ban temporarily Muslims from entering the country an embarrassment to the GOP and un-American.

Trump has said Haley is not doing enough to protect South Carolina from Syrian refugees and the possibility of Guantanamo prisoners being transferred to the Navy brig outside Charleston. Haley has protested both issues to federal officials.

Haley has not criticized Cruz, but she has not kept in regular contact with the Texas senator, who like Rubio, is the son of Cuban immigrant.

Bush pushed hard for her support. His father and brother, both former presidents who won the S.C. presidential primary, have reached out to Haley in recent weeks.

But Bush is lagging in South Carolina. Bush sits in fourth in polls with several recent surveys putting him behind Ohio Gov. John Kasich in fifth.

Bush told NBC News on Tuesday that Haley’s endorsement is “the most powerful meaningful one in the state.”

Asked what kind of message would be sent by not getting her nod, Bush said: “It sends a signal that (I’ve) got to work harder.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article60856927.html#storylink=cpy

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:10:35 pm »

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »
Rubio now has the endorsement of Nikki Haley, Tim Scott and Trey Gowdy in South Carolina.

I guess it's time for those three to be branded as "RINOs" by the usual suspects.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:17:14 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 10:16:48 pm »

You consider that bit of rambling, dissembling blather an effective rebuttal?

I did like the part where he said "we're up by 13 in Iowa ..."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:18:49 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 10:17:37 pm »
Rubio now has the endorsement of Nikki Haley, Tim Scott and Trey Gowdy in South Carolina.

I guess it's time for those three to be branded as "RINOs" by the usual dismal suspects.

All three and Rubio are bought and paid for by the GOP Donor class.  They all need to repeat Rube's lines and have a long drink of wetback water with an Obamatrade twist.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:53 pm »
All three and Rubio are bought and paid for by the GOP Donor class.  They all need to repeat Rube's lines and have a long drink of wetback water with an Obamatrade twist.

Congratulations!

You've single-handedly brought down the aggregate IQ of the World Wide Web by 10 percent.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 10:27:51 pm »
Congratulations!

You've single-handedly brought down the aggregate IQ of the World Wide Web by 10 percent.

Undoubtedly, that would still be fifty points above your IQ composite.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 10:30:19 pm »

And you support a guy who has spent his career buying politicians off. And you think he'll be better.

What a friggin' joke!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »
Undoubtedly, that would still be fifty points above your IQ composite.

ACU Lifetime Conservative Legislative Ratings:

Trey Gowdy      97
Tim Scott         97
Marco Rubio     98

MBB1984:       ?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:37:25 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 10:33:03 pm »
Dr. Dobson, and now Nikki, both saying don't vote for Trump. This is a huge blow for Trump in SC
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 10:35:32 pm »
And you support a guy who has spent his career buying politicians off. And you think he'll be better.

What a friggin' joke!

Actually, I support Cruz.  But, Trump is sufficiently affluent and powerful to have no need to prostrate himself and sell American ideals to the donor class.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:24 pm »
Naughty Nikki, the Sikh evangelist, was against Rubio's amnesty before she was for it. Or whatever.  It's BEEN A LONG WEEK!  Don't vote Trump because it will MAKE YOU ANGRY!

Bringing up her religion are we? I was so hoping we wouldn't go there, that we here on TBR would be above that.   I could care less that she is a Sikh, and neither do the SC Republicans who give her a favoribility rating as high as Reagan.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:30 pm »
ACU Lifetime Conservative Legislative Ratings:

Trey Gowdy      97
Tim Scott         97
Marco Rubio     98

MBB1984:       ?

ACU is a establishment joke and propaganda mouthpiece for amnesty.    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/american-conservative-union-chairman-legalize-illegal-aliens