Author Topic: The GOP Is Finally Debating Bush-Era Failures  (Read 2193 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The GOP Is Finally Debating Bush-Era Failures
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 02:49:13 am »
Who is it that is currently running who fits EXACTLY in that category?

On the surface,Trump does. I just happen to questiion his sincerity. No one ever questioned Goldwater's sincerity because of his history.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:49:36 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 02:53:44 am »
On the surface,Trump does. I just happen to questiion his sincerity. No one ever questioned Goldwater's sincerity because of his history.

BZZZZZZ! Ted Cruz!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 03:12:24 am »
When Kennedy was assassinated, the entire political world knew Goldwater could never win the presidency. And I think it's hyperbolic to say that Goldwater could have "saved America" and was the best hope since the founding of the country. 

That's bizarre.

True. In fact, no Republican could have won after the JFK assassination.

And it didn't help that Goldwater and his people ran one of the most poorly run presidential campaigns in history.

They couldn't even combat LBJ's lies effectively.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 05:25:50 am »
BZZZZZZ! Ted Cruz!

Cruz is saying a lot of the things I want to hear and is IMHO MUCH more likely to follow through than Trump,but he is still a little wishy-washy on allowing illegals to stay here,and I haven't heard him saying anything about ending the anchor baby program

Unless he screws up and goes globalist between now and primary day,I do plan on voting for him,though.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 05:28:30 am »

And it didn't help that Goldwater and his people ran one of the most poorly run presidential campaigns in history.

They couldn't even combat LBJ's lies effectively.

I disagree on a couple of points.

Point number 1 is that Kennedy hadn't just been assassinated. Time had passed,and LBJ had taken over and pissed off pretty much everybody on the planet.

Point 2 though point 1 million. LBJ was president. His dog didn't even like him.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 08:08:12 pm »

Even Goldwater himself knew it. He'd written in his memoir With No Apologies that any hope for a Goldwater presidency
died with John F. Kennedy. The two men genuinely liked each other and, when Kennedy assumed Goldwater would be his
1964 opponent, invited Goldwater to lunch and gave him a piece of advice: Don't announce too soon, Barry. The minute
you do you become the target. You give them eighteen months to shoot you down, they'll do it.

Goldwater said Kennedy also promised the two could and would run an issues-rooted campaign in 1964 without personality
clashes or hatreds, another promise Goldwater said was shattered by Kennedy's death and made him reluctant to become
the candidate aside from the mood of the country over an assassinated president: Everything I knew about Lyndon
Johnson
, Goldwater wrote, told me he would be incapable of campaigning without hatred.

Some things never really change. Today we have a few candidates on both sides who aren't capable of campaigning without
hatred.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:10:52 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 08:10:49 pm »
It sounds like we (GOP) are debating the Bush era based on the perspective of the DNC's charges against him. In other words, we (GOP) are giving them the benefit of the doubt in this case in a: "maybe they (DNC) were right all along" argument.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 08:18:17 pm »
It sounds like we (GOP) are debating the Bush era based on the perspective of the DNC's charges against him. In other words, we (GOP) are giving them the benefit of the doubt in this case in a: "maybe they (DNC) were right all along" argument.

You don't have to debate the Bush era from the Democratic perspective. You can do it
from the perspective of this book, which should have been required reading for anyone
planning to take active part in the 2008 primaries, and probably still should be:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.