Author Topic: For Years, Trump's Charity Gave Veterans Little More Than Peanuts. Now he wants to use them as political props.  (Read 1695 times)

rangerrebew

For Years, Trump's Charity Gave Veterans Little More Than Peanuts
Now he wants to use them as political props.

10:11 PM, Jan 27, 2016 | By John McCormack
Gage Skidmore

Donald Trump says he's skipping the final debate before the Iowa caucuses on Thursday night because he's upset with Fox News and debate moderator Megyn Kelly. Trump will instead hold a "special event to benefit veterans organizations" in Iowa, according to a campaign press release. But the event could come off as a cheap political stunt exploiting veterans, especially because the Donald J Trump Foundation has been far from generous to veterans organizations over the years.

As Emily Canal of Forbes reported in October: "The Donald J. Trump Foundation has donated $5.5 million to 298 charities between 2009 and 2013 (the most recent year available), according to the non-profit's 990 tax forms from those years. Of that, only $57,000 has been donated to seven organizations that directly benefit military veterans or their families, Forbes found. Wounded Warriors was not among the organizations Trump's foundation gave to in that time period."

Some veterans say that the billionaire has been AWOL when it comes to helping veterans. "Donald Trump is not a leader in veterans' philanthropy, unless he's donated a lot of money that nobody knows about," Paul Rieckhoff, founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, told the New York Times in July. "We were founded in New York. We are headquartered in New York. I've been here 10 years, and I don't think I've ever even seen Donald Trump."
Advertisement

Rieckhoff, an Iraq war veteran, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday: "If offered, @IAVA will decline donations from Trump's event. We need strong policies from candidates, not to be used for political stunts."

In an email to THE WEEKLY STANDARD, Trump's spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that "Mr. Trump has made significant financial and in kind contributions to many Veterans organizations, personally and not through the Donald J. Trump foundation." Trump's spokeswoman did not reply to an email asking if she could share an estimate of Trump's personal donations to veterans organizations.

The Trump Foundation's $57,000 in donations to veterans groups from 2009 to 2013 amounted to far less than Trump's donations to the Clinton Foundation. "Trump is listed on the Clinton Foundation's donor page as having given somewhere between $100,001 and $250,000," the Daily Caller reported last year.

The Trump foundation's 2014 donations to politically connected organizations easily outmatched donations to veterans groups: That year, the foundation gave $26,500 to the Anti-Defamation League, $25,000 to the American Spectator Foundation, and $100,000 to the Citizens United Foundation.

The Donald J. Trump Foundation also gave about $57,000 to the Susan G. Komen foundation in 2012, the same year that the breast cancer charity courted controversy over its subtantial donations to Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion provider in the country. The foundation even provided a small donation the the ACLU, a left-wing civil liberties organization opposed to religious liberty.

The Smoking Gun has documented Trump's overall miserly giving for years. In 1999, the website called Trump "The .00013% Man," referring to the percentage of his wealth that the foundation had donated. As a percentage of Trump's overall net worth, the Donald J Trump Foundation's contributions haven't increased much in recent years.

In his stump speeches lately, Trump has described himself as greedy and tried to turn his vice into a selling point for voters. "I'm very greedy. I'm a greedy person. I shouldn't tell you that, I'm a greedy – I've always been greedy. I love money, right?" Trump said on January 9. "But, you know what? I want to be greedy for our country."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/for-years-trumps-charity-gave-veterans-little-more-than-peanuts/article/2000776
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:12:38 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
...The Trump Foundation's $57,000 in donations to veterans groups from 2009 to 2013 amounted to far less than Trump's donations to the Clinton Foundation. "Trump is listed on the Clinton Foundation's donor page as having given somewhere between $100,001 and $250,000," the Daily Caller reported last year.

The Trump foundation's 2014 donations to politically connected organizations easily outmatched donations to veterans groups: That year, the foundation gave $26,500 to the Anti-Defamation League, $25,000 to the American Spectator Foundation, and $100,000 to the Citizens United Foundation.

The Donald J. Trump Foundation also gave about $57,000 to the Susan G. Komen foundation in 2012, the same year that the breast cancer charity courted controversy over its subtantial donations to Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion provider in the country. The foundation even provided a small donation the the ACLU, a left-wing civil liberties organization opposed to religious liberty....

That's ugly. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GAJohnnie

For Years, Trump's Charity Gave Veterans Little More Than Peanuts
Now he wants to use them as political props.

10:11 PM, Jan 27, 2016 | By John McCormack
Gage Skidmore

Donald Trump says he's skipping the final debate before the Iowa caucuses on Thursday night because he's upset with Fox News and debate moderator Megyn Kelly. Trump will instead hold a "special event to benefit veterans organizations" in Iowa, according to a campaign press release. But the event could come off as a cheap political stunt exploiting veterans, especially because the Donald J Trump Foundation has been far from generous to veterans organizations over the years.

As Emily Canal of Forbes reported in October: "The Donald J. Trump Foundation has donated $5.5 million to 298 charities between 2009 and 2013 (the most recent year available), according to the non-profit's 990 tax forms from those years. Of that, only $57,000 has been donated to seven organizations that directly benefit military veterans or their families, Forbes found. Wounded Warriors was not among the organizations Trump's foundation gave to in that time period."

Some veterans say that the billionaire has been AWOL when it comes to helping veterans. "Donald Trump is not a leader in veterans' philanthropy, unless he's donated a lot of money that nobody knows about," Paul Rieckhoff, founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, told the New York Times in July. "We were founded in New York. We are headquartered in New York. I've been here 10 years, and I don't think I've ever even seen Donald Trump."
Advertisement

Rieckhoff, an Iraq war veteran, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday: "If offered, @IAVA will decline donations from Trump's event. We need strong policies from candidates, not to be used for political stunts."

In an email to THE WEEKLY STANDARD, Trump's spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that "Mr. Trump has made significant financial and in kind contributions to many Veterans organizations, personally and not through the Donald J. Trump foundation." Trump's spokeswoman did not reply to an email asking if she could share an estimate of Trump's personal donations to veterans organizations.

The Trump Foundation's $57,000 in donations to veterans groups from 2009 to 2013 amounted to far less than Trump's donations to the Clinton Foundation. "Trump is listed on the Clinton Foundation's donor page as having given somewhere between $100,001 and $250,000," the Daily Caller reported last year.

The Donald J. Trump Foundation also gave about $57,000 to the Susan G. Komen foundation in 2012, the same year that the breast cancer charity courted controversy over its subtantial donations to Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion provider in the country. The foundation even provided a small donation the the ACLU, a left-wing civil liberties organization opposed to religious liberty.

The Smoking Gun has documented Trump's overall miserly giving for years. In 1999, the website called Trump "The .00013% Man," referring to the percentage of his wealth that the foundation had donated. As a percentage of Trump's overall net worth, the Donald J Trump Foundation's contributions haven't increased much in recent years.

In his stump speeches lately, Trump has described himself as greedy and tried to turn his vice into a selling point for voters. "I'm very greedy. I'm a greedy person. I shouldn't tell you that, I'm a greedy – I've always been greedy. I love money, right?" Trump said on January 9. "But, you know what? I want to be greedy for our country."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/for-years-trumps-charity-gave-veterans-little-more-than-peanuts/article/2000776

Factually incorrect

http://sheborg.blogspot.com/2015/11/1985-donald-trump-donates-1-million-to.html

1985: Donald Trump Donates $1 Million to NYC Vietnam Vets--

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
If you're gonna bullshit for your guy, do it honestly.

Vietnam Veterans Plaza. From Wikipedia, the ... The NYC Vietnam Memorial ... Businessman Donald Trump donated $1 million to build the memorial in 1983.

They do say marble is good eating though, and gold leaf makes a fine substitute for a missing leg.

Offline GAJohnnie

Time to find a new attack line bots. You have been nuked on this one

Leader of New York Veterans Group Defends Donald Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/leader-york-veterans-group-defends-donald-trump/story?id=32571459

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Leader of New York Veterans Group Defends Donald Trump .... when Trump was being attacked for attacking McCain. It reiterates the building of the memorial and adds help with a parade.

Seriously - you think we don't READ the links or something?

Offline GAJohnnie

How about the blown hard attack bots put there money where their mouths are.

I want to support our veterans

100% of your donations will go directly to Veterans needs

https://www.donaldtrumpforvets.com/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How about the blown hard attack bots put there money where their mouths are.

I want to support our veterans

100% of your donations will go directly to Veterans needs

https://www.donaldtrumpforvets.com/

I support vets already.  All of mine and others.  Thanks anyway.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Offline GAJohnnie

So in other words jut more campaign spew from frauds looking to use Vets as a campaign prop to attack Trump.