Author Topic: Donald Trump Wanted Vets Kicked Off Fifth Avenue  (Read 2426 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Donald Trump Wanted Vets Kicked Off Fifth Avenue
« on: January 28, 2016, 06:14:49 pm »
Instead of debating his presidential rivals Thursday, the GOP frontrunner is hosting an event ‘to raise money’ for veterans. That’s rich, say the disabled veterans he tried to eject from the street outside Trump Tower.

Now that he has balked at facing Megyn Kelly at the Republican debate, Donald Trump will be embracing heroes.

“[Trump] will instead host an event in Iowa to raise money for the Veterans and Wounded Warriors, who have been treated so horribly by our all talk, no action politicians,” the Trump campaign announced.

Never mind that for more than a decade Trump sought to deprive veterans in need of their meager livelihood because he found them unsightly nuisances who should not be allowed anywhere near his gleaming headquarters on Fifth Avenue.

The Trump who now extols veterans spent years clamoring for New York City’s politicians to take action and ban even those street vendors with special disabled veteran’s licenses from the environs of Trump Tower.

As was reported in the New York Daily News, Trump wrote in a letter to the New York state Assembly back in 1991, “While disabled veterans should be given every opportunity to earn a living, is it fair to do so to the detriment of the city as a whole or its tax paying citizens and businesses?”

He went on, “Do we allow Fifth Avenue, one of the world’s finest and most luxurious shopping districts, to be turned into an outdoor flea market, clogging and seriously downgrading the area?”

Read more: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/28/donald-trump-wanted-vets-kicked-off-fifth-avenue.html

In this, I consider Trump to be no worse than ANY other candidate. But don't go puffing him up as some serious champion of veterans. None of them are, other than at election time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Donald Trump Wanted Vets Kicked Off Fifth Avenue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:32:40 pm »
I'll cut and paste my reply to this article from another thread in which this was introduced:

As a former business owner that paid out the whazoo to have a brick and mortar business in a downtown business location - I can understand what Trump is saying.  Trump is against street vendors setting up in front of his business and I'm sure the other businesses (who pay DEARLY to be located there) like Tiffany's feel the same way.  That's an upscale area and these street vendors are not welcome there.  He's not against disabled veterans - he's against street vendors.  The fact that many of them happen to be veterans has nothing to do with it.

I've had people try to set up business in front of my shop - DIDN'T LIKE IT.  Almost always, when I would call the City to report it - it would turn out that these people didn't have the proper licenses, weren't reporting their sales, etc.  This is not right for people that are playing by the rules. 

It's a business decision and this article was written by someone that actually was using veterans for political and idealogical exploitation. 

And I say again - if Ted and Carly care so much about veterans - why do they dangle their money with strings attached?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:42:27 pm »
These have licenses. It's in the story. In fact, they have preferential licences, given to veterans ONLY.

As for Cruz and Fiorina - read my comment after the link. They are just as bad. Worse, in Cruz' case, since he is actually in a position to DO something for the vets.

We all have lines. One of mine is using veterans as publicity stunts, for reasons you know too well.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:47:51 pm »
I'll cut and paste my reply to this article from another thread in which this was introduced:

As a former business owner that paid out the whazoo to have a brick and mortar business in a downtown business location - I can understand what Trump is saying.  Trump is against street vendors setting up in front of his business and I'm sure the other businesses (who pay DEARLY to be located there) like Tiffany's feel the same way.  That's an upscale area and these street vendors are not welcome there.  He's not against disabled veterans - he's against street vendors.  The fact that many of them happen to be veterans has nothing to do with it.

I've had people try to set up business in front of my shop - DIDN'T LIKE IT.  Almost always, when I would call the City to report it - it would turn out that these people didn't have the proper licenses, weren't reporting their sales, etc.  This is not right for people that are playing by the rules. 

It's a business decision and this article was written by someone that actually was using veterans for political and idealogical exploitation. 

And I say again - if Ted and Carly care so much about veterans - why do they dangle their money with strings attached?

I tend to agree that vendors can be a negative for a business. 

Perhaps if Trump had substantively worked for vets, this would be a non-issue:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,193133.msg772913.html#msg772913

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:56:43 pm »
These have licenses. It's in the story. In fact, they have preferential licences, given to veterans ONLY.

As for Cruz and Fiorina - read my comment after the link. They are just as bad. Worse, in Cruz' case, since he is actually in a position to DO something for the vets.

We all have lines. One of mine is using veterans as publicity stunts, for reasons you know too well.

I know the reasons and no one loves veterans more than I do - but EC - Trump's objections had nothing to do with them being veterans - having proper licenses or not (I was referring to the ones that set up in front of my business) - he was bringing his objections to the City for allowing this in front of his business.  I'm sure he pays a great deal of taxes to the City's coffers - he has the right to complain about something that he sees as hurting his business interests.

To say that he did this because they were veterans is misleading, in my opinion.  The guy that wrote this article was using that - not Trump. 

Are you saying that veterans should be given carte blanche?

Editing that last comment out - my focus in not meant to be on the veterans - my focus is on the business aspect of street vendors in an upscale part of NYC that has very expensive property taxes, etc - and what rights these business-people have to protest it. 

The article slant that Trump hates veterans is why I gloss over much of what I read about him.  Depends on what the definition of "is" is. 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:10:14 pm by alicewonders »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »
I know the reasons and no one loves veterans more than I do - but EC - Trump's objections had nothing to do with them being veterans - having proper licenses or not (I was referring to the ones that set up in front of my business) - he was bringing his objections to the City for allowing this in front of his business.  I'm sure he pays a great deal of taxes to the City's coffers - he has the right to complain about something that he sees as hurting his business interests.

To say that he did this because they were veterans is misleading, in my opinion.  The guy that wrote this article was using that - not Trump. 

Alice, as I said above "Perhaps if Trump had substantively worked for vets, this would be a non-issue:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,193133.msg772913.html#msg772913"

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:12:29 pm »

Good God, no! But, what about their business? They're street vendors - licenced and taxed by the city. It's a rough way to make a living as it is, without someone using muscle they will never have to move them away from his precious doors.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »

Wow the desperation is deep. REALLY want to argue that leaving Vets on the street was GOOD policy?  Compare that with Trump giving $1 milllion in 1985 to help Vets.

1985: Donald Trump Donates $1 Million to NYC Vietnam Vets--

http://sheborg.blogspot.com/2015/11/1985-donald-trump-donates-1-million-to.html

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:14:53 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 07:16:18 pm »
I tend to agree that vendors can be a negative for a business. 

Perhaps if Trump had substantively worked for vets, this would be a non-issue:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,193133.msg772913.html#msg772913

Gee what do you call a $1 million donation to get them OFF the streets?

Saturday, November 28, 2015
1985: Donald Trump Donates $1 Million to NYC Vietnam Vets-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 07:18:21 pm »

That was 30 years ago!  If it's accurate.  Who knows?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »
I guess this is his standing on 5th Avenue and shooting someone moment and he was right.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »
I guess this is his standing on 5th Avenue and shooting someone moment and he was right.

Looks like it.  We'll see.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:23:38 pm »

As said on the other thread - BULL SHIT

He donated $1 million. To build a memorial.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:22 pm »
Alice, as I said above "Perhaps if Trump had substantively worked for vets, this would be a non-issue:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,193133.msg772913.html#msg772913"

I've seen that article.  Like I said above, I tend to gloss over a lot of what I read about Trump.  Seen so many with misleading headlines, quotes out of context, hatred oozing from every word, etc.  I could tell from the pictures on the magazine's covers and the writers that I'm not going to give a damn what they say.  I'm sure there's some truth in it, just enough - but I'm also pretty sure there is a lot left out too.  Just don't care to put in the time to research every article I see like that. 

Misses the whole point.  It's gone beyond picking every little thing about Trump - I'm looking at the bigger picture of trying to unseat the bastions of power in Washington DC.  It's going to take a mean SOB to do that.  I can accept that, warts and all.

Still, what I read does not make me think he hates veterans.  So he is highlighting them to take away from the debate - would it be better if he was going to raise money for people that can't read and write?  Would that make him less of a hypocrite to people?  I would think the needy veterans would be happy for the help, no matter where it comes from.  But, of course - people pick it apart because it's Trump.

Where are the articles about Cruz and Fiorina exploiting the money for veterans by trying to buy a debate with Trump?

I'm not seeing a lot of those being written.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 08:07:47 pm »
As said on the other thread - BULL SHIT

He donated $1 million. To build a memorial.

No child, the nonsense here is all is yours. I will take the word of the NY City Vets over the mindless spew of campaign attack bots.

Leader of New York Veterans Group Defends Donald Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/leader-york-veterans-group-defends-donald-trump/story?id=32571459

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:07 pm »
That was 30 years ago!  If it's accurate.  Who knows?

I will take the word of the NY City Vets over the mindless spew of campaign attack bots.

Leader of New York Veterans Group Defends Donald Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/leader-york-veterans-group-defends-donald-trump/story?id=32571459

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »
Leader of New York Veterans Group Defends Donald Trump .... when Trump was being attacked for attacking McCain. It reiterates the building of the memorial and adds help with a parade.

Seriously - you think we don't READ the links or something?

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 08:45:57 pm »
So more campaign spew from political operatives wanting to us Vets as a prop to attack Trump. Pretty sad and pathetic.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 10:58:36 pm »
Hey, windbag. That link to Trumps donate to vets page you put up as some sort of "challenge"?

All funds go straight to the Trump foundation. The same one that DOESN'T pay out much to vets.