Author Topic: EDITORIAL: Is Trump a McConnell-Rove Establishment Tool?  (Read 3194 times)

rangerrebew

EDITORIAL: Is Trump a McConnell-Rove Establishment Tool?
« on: January 21, 2016, 05:27:17 pm »
January 21, 2016
Is Trump a McConnell-Rove Establishment Tool?
By Daren Jonescu

On January 19, Donald Trump, the loudest Republican claimant to the anti-establishment label, filled out his recent attacks on Ted Cruz in a very telling way, as revealed on Mark Levin's radio program (click here, select the 1/19/16 podcast, go to the 23 minute mark):

We've been contacted by the establishment types.  They all want to know, how do they get involved with the campaign?  They're giving up on their candidates…and I mean these are real establishment people, that I've known when I was a member of the establishment -- meaning a giver, a big donor.  But they are contacting us -- Corey [Trump's campaign manager], I think we can say that very honestly, they're contacting us left and right about joining the campaign, and these are serious establishment types.

Who might these "real," "serious" establishment types be?  Perhaps there is a hint in this subsequent comment, a follow-up to his recent pro-establishment assault against Ted Cruz:

So when you talk about temperament, Ted has got a rough temperament, I don't know.  You know, you can't call people liars on the Senate floor, when they're your leader.

This, of course, is a direct reference to Cruz's criticism of Mitch McConnell regarding the GOP establishment leader's secret deal with Barack Obama prior to a trade vote.

Donald Trump defending Mitch McConnell, you ask?  The answer is yes, and the explanation may be found by examining Trump's recent history as a political donor. 

Back in early 2013, Tea Party conservatives, fed up with McConnell's feckless (to be generous) Senate leadership, his semi-tough talk that never seems to match his legislative decisions and results, and his relentless suppression of the conservative minority in the Senate, sought to supplant this establishmentarian's establishmentarian by supporting a conservative rival in the 2014 Kentucky primary.

In response to this challenge, a super PAC called "Kentuckians for Strong Leadership" was formed to raise funds for McConnell's scorched earth campaign against not only his own Tea Party rival, but the whole Tea Party movement.  I put the group's name in scare quotes because, of its fifty-eight major donors -- those who had given $1000 or more as of May 15, 2014 -- the Louisville Courier-Journal identified only five with Kentucky addresses.  "Kentuckians for Strong Leadership" was in fact, as Tony Lee reported at Breitbart at the time, a re-branding of Karl Rove's American Crossroads, an organization expressly dedicated to destroying the constitutionalist movement in favor of the old guard GOP establishment.

The big donors to Mitch McConnell's anti-Tea Party defense fund gave amounts ranging from $1000 to $250,000.  In the upper half of this donor list appears one Donald J. Trump, who gave $50,000 to the group.  Five days earlier, he had already donated a few thousand dollars to McConnell's campaign directly.  This total donation is far and away the largest contribution Trump has ever made to any individual Washington politician's campaign -- at least ten times larger than any other contribution he has made to a national Republican candidate.  Indeed, one has to cross over to the Democrat side of his donor history to find anything comparable to this contribution at any level of government.  That would be his $50,000 donation to Rahm Emanuel's mayoral campaign in December 2010.

Mitch McConnell has been perhaps the single most prominent leader -- certainly the most powerful -- in the Republican Party's long-standing effort to "crush" (McConnell's word) the grassroots constitutional conservative movement that threatens the privileged status of the Washington Brahmin caste, aka the American political establishment.

In 2014, the Tea Party had the temerity to challenge McConnell directly on his own home turf.  He did indeed crush them there, as he would happily crush them in the Senate.  His effort to annihilate the constitutionalist resistance was funded heavily by a nationwide group of donors affiliated with Karl Rove, who presumably shared McConnell's and Rove's desire to defend the establishment against the belligerent serfs who were daring to assert their liberty against its permanent privilege.

Donald Trump was a major donor to that effort.  He even threw another $10,000 into the pot in October 2014, to bring his total contribution to McConnell to more than $60,000.

Now he is attacking his primary rival, Ted Cruz, on the grounds that "Nobody in Congress likes him," and, more specifically, that "you can't call people liars on the Senate floor, when they're your leader."

Donald Trump is no longer making a generic accusation against Cruz's demeanor or reputation.  He is slapping him on behalf of the Republican he has supported most generously, Mitch McConnell.  I have previously argued that Trump's reputation as anti-establishment is all hot air, corresponding to nothing he has ever really done.  Here we have just one more clear example of that.

A conservative blogger friend recently suggested to me privately that he is not ready to reject outright the possibility that Trump is actually the establishment's clever creation -- that, after years of deepening threats from an increasingly serious constitutionalist faction within the GOP, the progressive Republicans may have surmised that the best path to victory is, as my friend puts it, to "run against themselves."

Whether strategic or merely fortuitous, the alliance between Donald Trump and the GOP establishment, which has lurked verifiably behind Trump's brash mask for years, has now become an open feature of his primary campaign.  And the chief target, Enemy Number One, of both parties in this alliance is Ted Cruz.  Cruz is "nasty" and "nobody likes him," as Trump says, because he is brazenly defiant toward the GOP establishment's leaders.

And you thought the whole point of being anti-establishment was to be brazenly defiant toward the establishment's leaders.  Silly you.  Apparently, a real anti-establishment candidate would not donate $60,000 to Mitch McConnell's "crush the Tea Party" campaign.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/01/is_trump_a_mcconnellrove_establishment_tool.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:28:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline libertybele

Re: EDITORIAL: Is Trump a McConnell-Rove Establishment Tool?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 05:30:07 pm »
Yes.  I now have little doubt that Trump is a McConnell-Rove establishment tool.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
Yes.  I now have little doubt that Trump is a McConnell-Rove establishment tool.

Yep! he has no DONORS so they can tell him what to do and pull his strings?

:whistle:

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/01/20/campaign-watchdog-group-files-fec-complaint-ted-cruz-failure-to-disclose-goldman-sachscitibank-financials/

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:35:04 pm »

Is Trump a McConnell-Rove Establishment Tool?

:silly:

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »
If there is one concept that well established life long political office holders understand, it is hedging.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »
The "establishment" (whatever the heck that it) no doubt recognizes that Cruz is uncompromising to the tune of threatening to shut down the government, whereas Trump is, and always has been, about the "art of the deal".   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 05:45:50 pm »
Quick! We are losing!!!! Throw up a new attack lie today. Maybe this one will finally stick!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:57:12 pm »
The "establishment" (whatever the heck that it) no doubt recognizes that Cruz is uncompromising to the tune of threatening to shut down the government, whereas Trump is, and always has been, about the "art of the deal".

"The art of the deal".  Exactly and that's what I am afraid of.  I don't want someone in there who is going to pander to the leftists. We already have a House and Senate full of RINO's.  That's why I prefer Cruz; someone who is not willing to compromise his conservative principles.  The GOP has made the mistake thinking that if they ran a moderate they would win ... if the run a moderate they will lose.  If they run someone who has duped people into thinking he's a conservative ... America loses.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:59 pm »
"The art of the deal".  Exactly and that's what I am afraid of.  I don't want someone in there who is going to pander to the leftists. We already have a House and Senate full of RINO's.  That's why I prefer Cruz; someone who is not willing to compromise his conservative principles.  The GOP has made the mistake thinking that if they ran a moderate they would win ... if the run a moderate they will lose.  If they run someone who has duped people into thinking he's a conservative ... America loses.

CONSERVATIVE, YOU have conservative in the HOUSE and SENATE that control it on paper. That is working well for you I guess. YOU can KEEP it and let's get a DOER who does things other than talk about doing it  :chairbang:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »
CONSERVATIVE, YOU have conservative in the HOUSE and SENATE that control it on paper. That is working well for you I guess. YOU can KEEP it and let's get a DOER who does things other than talk about doing it  :chairbang:

NO! We do not have Conservatives in control of anything in Washington and THAT is the problem!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 06:52:43 pm »
NO! We do not have Conservatives in control of anything in Washington and THAT is the problem!

We've been sending people that campaign as big conservatives who end up stabbing us in the back as soon as they get to Washington.  We've certainly TRIED - but as most politicians do - they keep saying anything to get in office.  The same thing you blame Trump for doing. 

I know, Cruz is an exception in that he has gone and done what he said he would do - but I don't think he has a chance to win the general election.  He has boxed himself in a narrow, but deep box.  I think he's surrounding himself with some questionable people - Glenn Beck?  Is there a bigger con man in this country? 

Andrew Breitbart: Coward, Liar, Thief Glenn Beck Is Dead To Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOrp3FU6fE

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:41:02 pm »
We've been sending people that campaign as big conservatives who end up stabbing us in the back as soon as they get to Washington.  We've certainly TRIED - but as most politicians do - they keep saying anything to get in office.  The same thing you blame Trump for doing. 

I know, Cruz is an exception in that he has gone and done what he said he would do - but I don't think he has a chance to win the general election.  He has boxed himself in a narrow, but deep box.  I think he's surrounding himself with some questionable people - Glenn Beck?  Is there a bigger con man in this country? 

I used to listen to Glenn Beck back in the day. 15 years ago maybe. He was funny, did funny skits. I see now a days Glenn isn't so funny.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 08:43:42 pm »

:amen:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 08:55:32 pm »

I know, Cruz is an exception in that he has gone and done what he said he would do - but I don't think he has a chance to win the general election. 

And there's the rub.  Conservatives don't "control anything" in Washington because we represent a political minority.  We need to partner with moderates and independents to win office, and to pass legislation in Congress.   That's reality - and I hate to say it to the good people who look to Cruz as a savior, but unless he moderates his views and at least tries to appeal to those who don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, there's simply no way he can win a national election. 

That's why I subscribe to Bill Buckley's view that we should support the most conservative candidate who has a chance to win.   That isn't Ted Cruz.   (And it isn't Donald Trump, but that's for different reasons.)    That's why I'm supporting John Kasich - he's an old school movement conservative with the political acumen to forge coalitions and get things done.   Is he perfect?  But of course not - but he's more conservative than McCain or Romney, and more  to the point, he can WIN - and that's simply more important in the real, political world than unvarnished ideology.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:57:23 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 09:10:47 pm »
And there's the rub.  Conservatives don't "control anything" in Washington because we represent a political minority.  We need to partner with moderates and independents to win office, and to pass legislation in Congress.   That's reality - and I hate to say it to the good people who look to Cruz as a savior, but unless he moderates his views and at least tries to appeal to those who don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, there's simply no way he can win a national election. 

That's why I subscribe to Bill Buckley's view that we should support the most conservative candidate who has a chance to win.   That isn't Ted Cruz.   (And it isn't Donald Trump, but that's for different reasons.)    That's why I'm supporting John Kasich - he's an old school movement conservative with the political acumen to forge coalitions and get things done.   Is he perfect?  But of course not - but he's more conservative than McCain or Romney, and more  to the point, he can WIN - and that's simply more important in the real, political world than unvarnished ideology.

Moderates = GOP establishment.  They've lost the past several election cycles - especially in the general - McCain and Romney.  Is he more conservative than the they are?  No.  If Kasich is the nominee (which I doubt), I will vote for him; but I will not vote for him in the primary.  I consider Trump a moderate (at best) but he does not have the establishment tied around his neck.

https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/john-kasich
http://www.ontheissues.org/John_Kasich.htm
http://poorrichardsnews.com/ohio-governor-john-kasich-a-tax-happy-liberal/
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/spencer-raley/2015/08/07/msnbcs-andrea-mitchell-praises-john-kasich-liberal-stance

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:12:16 pm »
I find a lot of this infighting to be unfortunate.  If Glenn Beck was out campaigning for Trump today, the Cruz supporters would be attacking him and the Trump supporters would be delighted to have his support.  Iowa has basically come down to Trump's perceived competence versus Cruz's purity and consistency.  People I have known and respected here for many years are on both sides of the debate.  I would like to stay on speaking terms with all of them. 

I am lucky to be a Rand Paul supporter and therefore irrelevant.  Everyone leaves me alone.    :pop41:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:05 pm »

I beg to differ! Conservatives are a political majority everywhere BUT in Washington and WE need to fix that!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:16:35 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 09:39:06 pm »

Beck?  Beck has said that he doesn't endorse anyone and doesn't plan on endorsing Cruz.  They all talk to Beck - I'm not sure that rises to "surrounding".

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 09:46:12 pm »
I find a lot of this infighting to be unfortunate.  If Glenn Beck was out campaigning for Trump today, the Cruz supporters would be attacking him and the Trump supporters would be delighted to have his support.  Iowa has basically come down to Trump's perceived competence versus Cruz's purity and consistency.  People I have known and respected here for many years are on both sides of the debate.  I would like to stay on speaking terms with all of them. 

I am lucky to be a Rand Paul supporter and therefore irrelevant.  Everyone leaves me alone.    :pop41:

If Cruz is elected, I have little doubt that he will find a place for Paul in his cabinet.  The two have worked very well together.  They don't always see eye to eye, but for the most part they've been on the same page.  I wish Paul would have done better in the polls.

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:49:05 pm »

:laugh:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:51:07 pm by flowers »

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 09:52:25 pm »
  Donal Rump Sez:  and I QUOTE

Referring to Ted Cruz...."He's Worse than Hillary...when ya think about it"

Mr Republican Unity..there alright..formerly Teds Buddy.....

THE MELTDOWN is COMING SOON!!!
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 09:52:30 pm »
Yep! he has no DONORS so they can tell him what to do and pull his strings?

You do like to keep bringing this up, don't you.

Ignoring, for a moment, that yes he does have donors, you really should be saying "He has no donors - YET"
If you honestly think he's going to self finance all the way to the White House, you are not a shill, you are a fool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:37:26 pm »
I beg to differ! Conservatives are a political majority everywhere BUT in Washington and WE need to fix that!

Wishful thinking.  To gain and retain political power,  conservatives need to forge coalitions.   There aren't enough conservatives to elect uncompromising "purists" like Cruz (and not enough, I trust and pray, fools to elect a megalomaniac like Trump). 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 10:50:55 pm »
Beck?  Beck has said that he doesn't endorse anyone and doesn't plan on endorsing Cruz.  They all talk to Beck - I'm not sure that rises to "surrounding".

I heard Glenn say a couple of days ago that he was going on the road with Ted Cruz, as per Cruz's request. 

His crony, David Barton is running one of Ted Cruz's PACs. 

- Edited to add - going on the road in Iowa and going to speak at some of Ted's rallies. 

BIG mistake for Ted - for one, Glenn will never shut up and let Ted take the stage.   :silly:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:53:57 pm by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 02:41:55 am »
I heard Glenn say a couple of days ago that he was going on the road with Ted Cruz, as per Cruz's request. 

His crony, David Barton is running one of Ted Cruz's PACs. 

- Edited to add - going on the road in Iowa and going to speak at some of Ted's rallies. 

BIG mistake for Ted - for one, Glenn will never shut up and let Ted take the stage.   :silly:

I have a lot of respect for Beck and I think he will be an asset to him.  He isn't as popular as Limbaugh or Hannity but he has an audience of over 7,000,000 listeners.  Not too shabby.