Author Topic: Long-Time Leaders of Conservative Movement Unite in Support of Ted Cruz  (Read 4320 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The old lions of the conservative movement—leaders with direct ties to the 1960 signing of the Sharon Statement by 90 members of Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) at William F. Buckley’s residence—are uniting around the presidential campaign of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)
97%
with passionate endorsements of his candidacy.

82-year-old Richard Viguerie, the pioneer in direct-mail fundraising, makes the conservative political case for Sen. Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign with the vigor and energy of a man five decades younger.

“Ted Cruz is the best conservative candidate since Ronald Reagan,” Viguerie tells Breitbart News in an exclusive interview.

“He’s what we’ve waited for ever since Reagan. He checks all our boxes.”

“He’s everything we’ve wanted in a candidate. He unites the party in a way that no other candidate can,” Viguerie adds.

In 1962 Viguerie, then 29-years-old, was named the executive director of YAF. For more than half a century, Vigurie has dedicated his life to the advancement of the modern conservative movement....

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/20/old-lions-of-conservative-movement-unite-in-support-of-ted-cruz/

Offline aligncare

Re: Long-Time Leaders of Conservative Movement Unite in Support of Ted Cruz
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »
Now, if only he were electable.

Paraphrasing William F. Buckley:

(You should) vote for the most electable conservative option against a Democrat in November.

I love Cruz, but he ain't it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »

Paraphrasing William F. Buckley:

(You should) vote for the most electable conservative option against a Democrat in November.

I love Cruz, but he ain't it.

...and you think Trump is a conservative?  Definitely not.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:35:30 pm »

Trump is not the perfect conservative. But, that doesn't worry me. We only need his tough negotiating skills for eight years in the White House to stop the bleeding and begin the process of rebuilding America to be great again. After that, Cruz can come in (maybe the president after Trump) and begin the process of restoring conservative government.

But, until then, this sounds perfectly fine to me:

U.S.-China Trade Reform
Veterans Administration Reforms
Tax Reform
Second Amendment Rights
Immigration Reform

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions
http://www.ontheissues.org/Donald_Trump.htm

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »

Conservatives really need to start thinking long-term. One person, one administration, cannot fix the damage that 50 years of liberal democrat foolishness wrought.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:13 pm »

The key word was "Electable"

Unfortunately this word is entirely missing from the narrow minds of true conservatives
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 03:04:33 pm »
Trump is not the perfect conservative. But, that doesn't worry me. We only need his tough negotiating skills for eight years in the White House to stop the bleeding and begin the process of rebuilding America to be great again. After that, Cruz can come in (maybe the president after Trump) and begin the process of restoring conservative government.

But, until then, this sounds perfectly fine to me:

U.S.-China Trade Reform
Veterans Administration Reforms
Tax Reform
Second Amendment Rights
Immigration Reform

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions
http://www.ontheissues.org/Donald_Trump.htm

As I have stated a couple of times, it is one thing to 'talk the talk' and quite another to 'walk the walk'.  Trump is a talker, Cruz is a walker.  Cruz has a proven record of conservatism.  I prefer to go by the record of a candidate rather than by what he states. If we simply take the issues that you have laid out; Trump has been weak on 2nd Amendment rights whereas Cruz has been endorsed by Gun Owners of America and has an A+ rating from the NRA.  Cruz has fought for the second amendment before the Supreme Court (Heller v. DC).  Cruz fought to get the Purple Heart medal awarded to Fort Hood victims; Trump did not and Cruz has also called for privatized treatment of veterans.  Cruz's tax plan was praised by Forbes, Trump's was not.  Cruz several times stood up and voted against amnesty; of course Trump doesn't have a voting record.  Cruz has laid out a decisive plan to promote fair trade with China.  Since we are speaking of issues; Cruz has also laid out a health care plan to replace Obamacare; to my knowledge, Trump has not.

https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates/candidates/donald-trump#article-13
https://www.gunowners.org/alert982015.htm
https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-NRA-think-of-Ted-Cruz-and-why
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/steve-forbes-praises-carson-cruz-and-paul-tax-plans/
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/01/ted_cruzs_plan_to_bring_jobs_back_from_china_better_than_trumps.html
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/234499-cruz-unveils-obamacare-alternative

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:55:29 pm »
The key word was "Electable"

Unfortunately this word is entirely missing from the narrow minds of true conservatives

Yes, Cruz is very electable and he would win hands down over Bernie or Hillary.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 04:37:23 pm »
Yes, Cruz is very electable and he would win hands down over Bernie or Hillary.

Nonsense.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »
Just a quick correction. Trump does not rest on his laurels. He is a doer 24/7. That's what he does. Anyone who's worked with him knows this. Work and accomplishment is his raison d'être. Talker? Really?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:43:04 pm by aligncare »

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »

As I have stated a couple of times, it is one thing to 'talk the talk' and quite another to 'walk the walk'.  Trump is a talker, Cruz is a walker.  laid out a health care plan to replace Obamacare; to my knowledge, Trump has not.

Actually you have that exactly backwards. Outside of a Court room, Cruz has only talked. He has accomplished ZERO politically other then tag alone on other people's work.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 05:29:35 pm »

Lets see the Republican Conservatives have had control of the HOUSE and SENATE. What have they accomplished that is conservative. They have given Obama everything he wanted plus a few things he did not even think of ? With that type of "conservativism" you can have it. CRUZ made a lot of noise BUT did be win anything or have any support on anything? He voted for TPP and job losses to the US and replace the American worker with H2 Visa program which will lead to amnesty. If that is your conservatism please keep it? Call it what you want DEM, Lib, Black, White, Spaceism, Freedomism or anything you want but looking for a person that will stop illegal immigration, Stop Common Core and the federalization of our education system. Stop TPP, Repeal and replace OBAMACARE, Bring Jobs back to the US, STOP Inversions and job loss, get rid of ISIS, Get back to financial discipline and balance a budget, Make this country safe and keep the second Amen dement in place and take the guns from the criminals. This is the person who most are looking for and can call that person anything you want. :patriot:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 05:41:31 pm »
Lets see the Republican Conservatives have had control of the HOUSE and SENATE. What have they accomplished that is conservative. They have given Obama everything he wanted plus a few things he did not even think of ? With that type of "conservativism" you can have it. CRUZ made a lot of noise BUT did be win anything or have any support on anything? He voted for TPP and job losses to the US and replace the American worker with H2 Visa program which will lead to amnesty. If that is your conservatism please keep it? Call it what you want DEM, Lib, Black, White, Spaceism, Freedomism or anything you want but looking for a person that will stop illegal immigration, Stop Common Core and the federalization of our education system. Stop TPP, Repeal and replace OBAMACARE, Bring Jobs back to the US, STOP Inversions and job loss, get rid of ISIS, Get back to financial discipline and balance a budget, Make this country safe and keep the second Amen dement in place and take the guns from the criminals. This is the person who most are looking for and can call that person anything you want. :patriot:

I read your very first sentence that read 'Republican Conservatives have had control ....'.  That is an incorrect statement; the Republican establishment have had control.  As for TPP ; I would like to again remind you that is why Cruz took to the floor of the U.S. Senate and called McConnell a liar.  Without a doubt Cruz doesn't have much support in the Senate; the Senate is filled with RINO's.  You are correct, I don't want someone who will negotiate his principles, I want someone who will stand by his principles.  As for the rest of your statements as to what Trump says he's going to do ... that's exactly what he says; not what he's done.  I've laid out examples of what Cruz has done in an earlier post regarding the 2nd amendment, illegal immigration, Obamacare, etc., and as far as Common Core, both Cruz and Rubio have signed a pledge to stop it.  As for Trump on the 2nd amendment -- you might want to also refer to my earlier post.  Trump is weak on the second amendment.  He hasn't been endorsed by Gun Owners of America or have an A+ rating from the NRA - Cruz does.

By the way if you see Trump as being able to 'negotiate' with all the RINO's I am sure he will -- he will deflect  to the left and the Washington cartel will still exist.  I don't see that as a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:44:28 pm by libertybele »

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 05:47:05 pm »
According to you!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 07:29:50 pm »
I read your very first sentence that read 'Republican Conservatives have had control ....'.  That is an incorrect statement; the Republican establishment have had control.  As for TPP ; I would like to again remind you that is why Cruz took to the floor of the U.S. Senate and called McConnell a liar.  Without a doubt Cruz doesn't have much support in the Senate; the Senate is filled with RINO's.  You are correct, I don't want someone who will negotiate his principles, I want someone who will stand by his principles.  As for the rest of your statements as to what Trump says he's going to do ... that's exactly what he says; not what he's done.  I've laid out examples of what Cruz has done in an earlier post regarding the 2nd amendment, illegal immigration, Obamacare, etc., and as far as Common Core, both Cruz and Rubio have signed a pledge to stop it.  As for Trump on the 2nd amendment -- you might want to also refer to my earlier post.  Trump is weak on the second amendment.  He hasn't been endorsed by Gun Owners of America or have an A+ rating from the NRA - Cruz does.

By the way if you see Trump as being able to 'negotiate' with all the RINO's I am sure he will -- he will deflect  to the left and the Washington cartel will still exist.  I don't see that as a good thing.

:shrug:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/10/meet-ted-cruz-s-tax-dodging-sugar-daddy.html

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/01/20/campaign-watchdog-group-files-fec-complaint-ted-cruz-failure-to-disclose-goldman-sachscitibank-financials/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:31:17 pm by Longiron »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 07:56:10 pm »
As I have stated a couple of times, it is one thing to 'talk the talk' and quite another to 'walk the walk'.  Trump is a talker, Cruz is a walker.  laid out a health care plan to replace Obamacare; to my knowledge, Trump has not.

Actually you have that exactly backwards. Outside of a Court room, Cruz has only talked. He has accomplished ZERO politically other then tag along on other people's work. 

This is very true.  But apparently unimportant to Cruz supporters.   :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 07:57:33 pm »
Conservatives really need to start thinking long-term. One person, one administration, cannot fix the damage that 50 years of liberal democrat foolishness wrought.

I believe that conservatism, character, consistency and truthfulness ARE "long-term."

That's why I support Cruz over Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 07:58:56 pm »

Not even close........... by ANY standard.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 08:19:26 pm »

I am genuinely baffled by that statement.  Why is he not electable?  If people support him, he gets elected.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 08:31:58 pm »
I am genuinely baffled by that statement.  Why is he not electable?  If people support him, he gets elected.

Cruz's poll numbers nationally are less than half of Trump's, and state by state they're not much better--with the exception of Iowa. And these numbers reflect Cruz's popularity within the Republican Party.

So, I just extrapolated those numbers to the general election and it just doesn't come up a winner for me. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I think in a national race, Trump beats the criminal, the communist, the pretty boy ex-governor, the phony Indian professor or anyone else the democrats can sneak into the race under the cover of darkness.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 08:58:47 pm »
Cruz's poll numbers nationally are less than half of Trump's, and state by state they're not much better--with the exception of Iowa. And these numbers reflect Cruz's popularity within the Republican Party.

So, I just extrapolated those numbers to the general election and it just doesn't come up a winner for me. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I think in a national race, Trump beats the criminal, the communist, the pretty boy ex-governor, the phony Indian professor or anyone else the democrats can sneak into the race under the cover of darkness.

According to the current polls; Trump will be the next GOP nominee, however, I think it would be prudent to at least wait till the actual voting starts before declaring Trump a winner.  Right now, some of the states I think Cruz will take in the earlier primary states is Iowa, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia ... we shall see.

As for Clinton - I predict she is done.  Bernie will be the nominee.  I watched O'Reilly the other night and he laughs Bernie off stating that he could never win.  Really?  That's what Rove said about Obama v. Romney.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 09:22:14 pm »

Ac, if you want to look at polls (remember, you brought them up, I think they are an over-rated technique who's time is fast passing as a predictor), there are actually polls that cover the likely match-ups. Against Hillary, Rubio, Cruz and even Carson beat Hillary. Trump does not, by 3%.

You keep forgetting - the Millennials HATE Trump with an almost pathological fury. There is absolutely no one who could galvanize them to the polling booth more - to pull the lever for the other guy. They'll come out in swarms.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 09:50:07 pm »
Ac, if you want to look at polls (remember, you brought them up, I think they are an over-rated technique who's time is fast passing as a predictor), there are actually polls that cover the likely match-ups. Against Hillary, Rubio, Cruz and even Carson beat Hillary. Trump does not, by 3%.

You keep forgetting - the Millennials HATE Trump with an almost pathological fury. There is absolutely no one who could galvanize them to the polling booth more - to pull the lever for the other guy. They'll come out in swarms.

Curious about what that comment about the Millennials is based upon? 

From my anecdotal experiences (a few rallies and debate watch parties, looking at people driving the cars/trucks with the Trump stickers on them, people's ball cap choices, chatting up folks in the stores, etc.), it seems that there are a fair amount of folks that appear to be in the Millennials demographic.  I would agree that Trump's largest demographic skews to 40+, but I am seeing more and more younger people getting on board.  It may be that the Gulf Coast of Central Florida is not representative of the nation as a whole.   :shrug: