Author Topic: Long-Time Leaders of Conservative Movement Unite in Support of Ted Cruz  (Read 4321 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Long-Time Leaders of Conservative Movement Unite in Support of Ted Cruz
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:17 pm »
Yes, and there is a danger in hiring Mussolini, or Hugo Chavez, or Putin to be President.   As NR succinctly put it:

NR is spot on.  Don't lose your soul in your zeal to see the trains run on time.

Hyperbole doesn't help the argument.

Yes, Trump is a political opportunist without a political or moral core, but like Mussolini or Chavez?

Let's not be so silly that we lose the truth of the argument, OK?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:22 pm »
Hyperbole doesn't help the argument.

Yes, Trump is a political opportunist without a political or moral core, but like Mussolini or Chavez?

Let's not be so silly that we lose the truth of the argument, OK?

Do you agree with NR's assessment?   Do you think Trump will respect the Constitution, or just double down on the illegal crapola that Obama's been pulling these past seven years?

I respect your opinion,  musiclady,  but I don't consider comparisons to Il Duce,  Chavez or Putin to be hyperbole.  They are all strongmen who seduced the masses with appeals to fear and victimhood, and claims that they and only they could solve their nation's problems.  Cults of personality, IOW.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:26:45 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 02:44:14 pm »
Do you agree with NR's assessment?   Do you think Trump will respect the Constitution, or just double down on the illegal crapola that Obama's been pulling these past seven years?

I respect your opinion,  musiclady,  but I don't consider comparisons to Il Duce,  Chavez or Putin to be hyperbole.  They are all strongmen who seduced the masses with appeals to fear and victimhood, and claims that they and only they could solve their nation's problems.  Cults of personality, IOW.

There is a huge difference between the cult of personality surrounding Donald Trump, and the vicious dictators like Mussolini.

There may be a mild parallel in place, and there is definitely an attraction to Trump's saying, forget everything else, I will get it done, but it is hyperbolic and anti-productive to compare him to Hugo Chavez.

It will just detract from any rational discussion of what people who are attracted to the strong man Trump should be thinking about.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2016, 03:32:36 pm »
There is a huge difference between the cult of personality surrounding Donald Trump, and the vicious dictators like Mussolini.

There may be a mild parallel in place, and there is definitely an attraction to Trump's saying, forget everything else, I will get it done, but it is hyperbolic and anti-productive to compare him to Hugo Chavez.

It will just detract from any rational discussion of what people who are attracted to the strong man Trump should be thinking about.

I respectfully disagree.   It's time to call a spade a spade.  I frankly don't care if anything I or anyone else says convinces a Trump supporter to change his/her mind.  I don't respect Trump supporters.  Sorry, but I'm being honest.  What I care about is everyone else - folks need to be fully apprised of the danger that Trump and his strongman temperament pose both to the nation and the conservative movement.   

I'll give Trump credit for raising important issues.   But to vote for the man for President is utterly irresponible, IMO.   There are other candidates who are taking up Trump's issues but who do not pose the existential danger that Trump does. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide