Author Topic: Sarah Palin Endorses Donald Trump, Rallying Conservatives  (Read 6101 times)

Offline flowers

Sarah Palin Endorses Donald Trump, Rallying Conservatives
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:29:13 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/20/us/politics/donald-trump-sarah-palin.html?_r=0

Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor and 2008 vice-presidential nominee who became a Tea Party sensation and a favorite of grass-roots conservatives, will endorse Donald J. Trump in Iowa on Tuesday, officials with his campaign confirmed. The endorsement provides Mr. Trump with a potentially significant boost just 13 days before the state’s caucuses.

“I’m proud to endorse Donald J. Trump for president,” Ms. Palin said in a statement provided by his campaign.

Her support is the highest-profile backing for a Republican contender so far.

“I am greatly honored to receive Sarah’s endorsement,” Mr. Trump said in a statement trumpeting Mrs. Palin’s decision. “She is a friend, and a high-quality person whom I have great respect for. I am proud to have her

HonestJohn

Re: Sarah Palin Endorses Donald Trump, Rallying Conservatives
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:12 pm »
I believe that his supporters *are* past Palin supporters.  Those nothing is gained from this endorsement.

And since she is not a delegate at the RNC convention, it won't gain Trump any votes for the GOP general election, either.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:42:49 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:42:30 pm »
Heads are SPLODEen and GUESS who is back tracking already? :silly:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/19/2813160/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:44:34 pm by Longiron »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:43:47 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:51 pm »
Sarah passed Geography and can tell Alberta Province Canada, as being outside the United States.

It is possible she learned that growing up in Idaho and living in Alaska, both touching Canada.

One thing I have observed about her: Her picks have been quite astute, even if NOT "pure as the driven pristine conservative" snows.

Winning elections is much more than being classified "real conservative." A point too often overlooked.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:40 pm »
While I am not particularly impressed with the value of endorsements - I really don't think Lindsey Graham or John McCain are going to pull Bush out of the well he's fallen into - I am impressed by the ability of the Trump campaign to drive news coverage and drive agendas.  That is an ability that Republicans have completely ceded to the Democrats for more than 30 years now.  I never thought it possible for a Republican to dominate conversation in the way that he has.  Hillary will rue the day she decided to stay in the shadows for the entire campaign...if she doesn't have the need to drop out for health reasons, that is  :laugh:
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:56:34 pm »
Very smart "production" by Trump:

- timed for included coverage in 6PM East Coast News Shows
- confirming it prior to the event maximizes cameras and microphones
- maximizes overflow crowds trying to get in

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:59:41 pm »
While I am not particularly impressed with the value of endorsements - I really don't think Lindsey Graham or John McCain are going to pull Bush out of the well he's fallen into - I am impressed by the ability of the Trump campaign to drive news coverage and drive agendas.  That is an ability that Republicans have completely ceded to the Democrats for more than 30 years now.  I never thought it possible for a Republican to dominate conversation in the way that he has.  Hillary will rue the day she decided to stay in the shadows for the entire campaign...if she doesn't have the need to drop out for health reasons, that is  :laugh:
I agree. I am MOST interested in winning the general election, not in who our candidate is.

In the last couple of weeks I am moving to the conclusion that Trump is the individual most capable of winning. 

I know that which ever Republican we run, if he wins, we are vastly better off than with any democrat.

So I'm entirely okay with losing the "purity" trials, in order to win the big prize.

BTW if you want ENTERTAINMENT, there are over 350 posts at the famous Fresno website, and probably will reach 1,000-2,000 by days end.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:05:37 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:21 pm »
Not that I'm a big fan of Palin but, damnit!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:15:32 pm »
I believe that his supporters *are* past Palin supporters.  Those nothing is gained from this endorsement.  And since she is not a delegate at the RNC convention, it won't gain Trump any votes for the GOP general election, either.   

VERY nice spin.   :beer:   

However, when Ted Cruz speaks of Sara Palin he asserts that "without this woman I would not be in the Senate today" (and it's true).

Well that woman just endorsed his opponent.  That's gonna leave a mark.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:17:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:40 pm »
You send in the wrecking crew before you re-build.

8 years of Trump, than 8 years of Cruz

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »
VERY nice spin.   :beer:   

However, when Ted Cruz speaks of Sara Palin he asserts that "without this woman I would not be in the Senate today" (and it's true).

Well that woman just endorsed his opponent.  That's gonna leave a mark.

==============================================

Its nothing personal for Sarah.  She's 'been there and done that.'

She knows there is not enough progressive Republican SUPPORT for example to elect any GOPe candidate.

Why didn't she endorse Ted Cruz?  Is it because she doesn't 'agree' with him?

She knows he can't win.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:28:06 pm by HAPPY2BME »

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »
but Cruz supporters are issue supporters

Really? I haven't seen that at all. Most of what I am reading around the internet indicates Cruz supporters are the typical dogmatic self styled "Conservatives" who only real interest is the ideological purity of what ever candidate they currently have a crush on. Cruz is just the idol du jour. They aren't really interested in issues, or winning, just that the candidate validate their dogmas of ideological purity.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:28 pm »
That won't happen.  No way.  We go one direction or the other.  Go Trump, conservatism and the Constitution are forever changed.  Go Cruz, get time with a doer, not just a talker.

Vote Trump and get a moderate VP.

Trump won't pick a Moderate VP, it does him no good politically. And Trump, what ever else he is, plays to win.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:32:09 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:03 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm

Ted Cruz: ‘Will Always Be a Big Fan’ of Sarah Palin, Regardless of 2016

by Alex Swoyer19 Jan 2016Washington, DC

GOP presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)appeared to walk back his campaign spokesman’s earlier comments about Gov. Sarah Palin’s expected endorsement of GOP frontrunner Donald Trump in Ames, Iowa on Tuesday evening.

Cruz posted on Twitter:

Ted Cruz

@tedcruz

I love @SarahPalinUSA  Without her support, I wouldn't be in the Senate. Regardless of what she does in 2016, I will always be a big fan.
12:55 PM - 19 Jan 2016

Earlier Tuesday morning, Cruz’s spokesman, Rick Tyler, said he thinks endorsing Trump would “be a blow to Sarah Palin” during an appearance on CNN.

Tyler said, “Because Sarah Palin has been a champion for the conservative cause, and if she was going to endorse Donald Trump, sadly, she would be endorsing someone who’s held progressive views all their life on the sanctity of life, on marriage, on partial-birth abortion.”

“If it’s Sarah Palin, let me just say that I would be deeply disappointed,” Tyler stated.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 10:48:23 pm »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/donald-trump-sarah-palin/424641/

The Deep Affinity Between Sarah Palin and Donald Trump

Like the real-estate tycoon, the former Alaska governor used inflammatory rhetoric to appeal to conservatives, despite a more pragmatic, dealmaking resume.

Updated on January 19 at 4:17 p.m.

Sarah Palin, the former vice-presidential nominee and Tea Party superstar, endorsed fellow Republican Donald Trump for president on Tuesday. The news came in a statement, but Palin is also appearing at a rally with Trump in Ames, Iowa, on Tuesday.

Palin’s endorsement seems at once perplexing and logical.

On the perplexing side is the fact that Trump—rhetoric aside—isn’t the most conservative candidate in the Republican field. Take Ted Cruz, whose spokesman took a preemptive shot at Palin over the endorsement Tuesday morning. Back in 2012, when Cruz was running an underdog campaign for U.S. Senate, Palin was one of the most prominent national conservatives to endorse him publicly, helping push Cruz to victory. Trump, in contrast, is a heterodox conservative, having previously backed Democrats, and having delivered stirring defenses of things like progressive taxation during Republican debates. Pointing to their very different lifestyles—New York City scion of wealth vs. working-class Westerner-turned-hardy-Alaskan—National Review deemed Trump and Palin “the oddest of political couples.” What gives?

But then there’s a natural affinity between Trump and Palin. Both are candidates who have capitalized on their ability to speak to the grievances of white, working-class Americans. They delight in inflammatory rhetoric—getting a rise out of the right people is much of the fun—and despise the press, even as their success depends in large part on managing to capture journalists’ attention. Both have a tendency to extemporize, producing sentences that are impossible to diagram and often to understand. Both have been reality-TV stars, though Trump rode his television fame to political success, while Palin rode her political success to a television contract.

This similarity is true as far as it goes, but it undersells the depth of the similarity between Trump and Palin. And in fact, that similarity owes something to the very same Trumpian deviations in conservative orthodoxy that might otherwise seem to separate him from Palin.

In 2011, Joshua Green traveled to Alaska to profile Palin for The Atlantic, and found that her actual record there was not quite what lower-48 liberals might have imagined:

As governor, Palin demonstrated many of the qualities we expect in our best leaders. She set aside private concerns for the greater good, forgoing a focus on social issues to confront the great problem plaguing Alaska, its corrupt oil-and-gas politics. She did this in a way that seems wildly out of character today—by cooperating with Democrats and moderate Republicans to raise taxes on Big Business. And she succeeded to a remarkable extent in settling, at least for a time, what had seemed insoluble problems, in the process putting Alaska on a trajectory to financial well-being. Since 2008, Sarah Palin has influenced her party, and the tenor of its politics, perhaps more than any other Republican, but in a way that is almost the antithesis of what she did in Alaska.

In other words, Palin was a pragmatist and a dealmaker, just like Trump—guided by a fundamentally conservative worldview, but not especially interested in or bound by orthodoxy. (You’re unlikely to find either curled up with the complete works of William F. Buckley.) Like Trump, she was willing to take on big business and call for new taxes where they seemed warranted. Trump, too, has a mixed political past in his closet: On the one hand, years of race-baiting, but on the other, past support for abortion, donations to liberal candidates, registration as a Democrat.

But Trump and Palin were both able to spot, and then position themselves to take advantage of, opportunities of the moment. They understood that if they were able to say the right things to the right groups, it would block those more complicated political pasts from view. As a bonus, that rhetoric would cause earnest concern (and worse) from the Republican establishment—but establishment condemnation just strengthened the affection that alienated conservatives already felt for both Trump and Palin. Meanwhile, both have continued to deviate from orthodoxy even after becoming stars: Palin has repeatedly blasted sexism in politics; Trump has shrugged off various criticisms that he’s essentially a big-government politician. True rogues aren’t just dissidents from the liberal consensus—they’re outcasts in their own parties, too.

What will Palin’s endorsement do for the Trump campaign? Perhaps not much. Palin isn’t the star she once was. Fox News dropped her contract as a commentator; a 2015 speech in Iowa was widely derided even in formerly friendly precincts; and as Harry Enten noted last summer, her favorability even among Republicans has tumbled.

That really just raises two more questions about Trump’s current lofty position. After all, Palin was also floated as a candidate for this cycle, but opted out of the race. One issue is why Palin didn’t reach the same level that Trump has now. Sure, she was picked as the vice-presidential nominee, but that turned out to be her apogee; as the American people got to know her better, her support dwindled over time. What did she do wrong that Trump has done (politically, at least) right? Was she not as disciplined? (Trump, for all his foibles, manages to keep tightly to a few messages even as he improvises.) Was sexism a factor? Alternatively, perhaps Trump’s political future looks a lot like Palin’s: Maybe one lesson from her career is that this method yields short-term support, but can only succeed for so long. In any case, endorsing Trump would makes perfect sense. Palin’s clan of Mama Grizzlies is largely gone, and so is her moment. Trump is one of her few remaining proteges. Palin won’t ever be president, but if helping make Trump the nominee could be her legacy, it wouldn’t be a bad revenge on the GOP establishment.
Support the USO

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 10:51:51 pm »
Not good choice Sarah. Then again you did go with mccain.

Offline Carling

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »

Really? I haven't seen that at all. Most of what I am reading around the internet indicates Cruz supporters are the typical dogmatic self styled "Conservatives" who only real interest is the ideological purity of what ever candidate they currently have a crush on. Cruz is just the idol du jour. They aren't really interested in issues, or winning, just that the candidate validate their dogmas of ideological purity.

I'm a Cruz supporter who is as socially liberal as any poster on this board.  On social issues like gay marriage, Cruz largely cedes those rights to the individual states, but even if he thought it was a federal issue, I'd merely disagree with it and support his larger message.

I primarily like Cruz (and Trump to a lesser degree) because I truly believe that DC needs to be radically reformed in the opposite direction of the larger government that the establishment for both parties is building.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:56:47 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:57:12 pm »
It leaves a mark. 

Then we agree, thanks.

Everything else from you was speculation in the extreme--and truth be told, Rat,  wild speculation is, after awhile, just plain boring.

Enjoy your evening.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 10:58:16 pm »
Not good choice Sarah. Then again you did go with mccain.

Actually, I always felt that McCain went with Palin.  And I thought it was one of McCain's smartest moves. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 10:59:55 pm »
Mark Levin
37 mins · New York, NY ·

It's getting confusing out there. There was a time when my friend Sarah agreed with Cruz & opposed ethanol subsidies.
Sarah Palin's brash stand against ethanol subsidies
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 11:05:28 pm »
Actually, I always felt that McCain went with Palin.  And I thought it was one of McCain's smartest moves.
Yes it was a smart move. The only reason I voted for him was her.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »

That is an excellent synopsis of life on the "conservative" forum front. I have been reading more, writing a bit for nearly 18 years, and you hit the nail on the head.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 11:09:40 pm »
Not that I'm a big fan of Palin but, damnit!

Do not be afraid...come over to the dark side, myst....oooooh...  :smokin:

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 11:16:19 pm »
Very smart "production" by Trump:

- timed for included coverage in 6PM East Coast News Shows
- confirming it prior to the event maximizes cameras and microphones
- maximizes overflow crowds trying to get in

He IS nothing, if not a showman.
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!