Author Topic: Trump: ‘I Don’t Like to Have to Ask for Forgiveness’ from God (says, "I am good. I don’t do a lot of things that are bad. "  (Read 6962 times)

Offline mountaineer

Trump: ‘I Don’t Like to Have to Ask for Forgiveness’ from God
by Pam Key
17 Jan 2016
Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was asked about a remark he made months ago regarding his relationship with God.

Partial transcript as follows:

TAPPER: Well, let me ask you because one of the potential attack lines has to do with an answer you gave to Frank Luntz months ago when you said that you’ve never asked God for forgiveness.

Do you regret making that remark?

TRUMP: No, I have great relationship with God. I have great relationship with the evangelicals. In fact nationwide, I’m up by a lot — leading everybody. But I like to be good. I don’t like to have to ask for forgiveness. And I am good. I don’t do a lot of things that are bad. I try and do nothing that’s bad. I live a very different life than probably a lot of people would think. And I have a very —

TAPPER: Always or just now?

TRUMP: I have a very great relationship with God and I have a very great relationship with evangelicals. And I think that’s why I’m doing so well with Iowa.

TAPPER: The life you have now when you say that you try to do good, that sounds very different from decades of tabloid media coverage in New York in which some of your wilder escapades were —

TRUMP: No, I’m talking about — I’m talking about over the last number of years.

TAPPER: OK.
Breitbart; video at link

I trust God has registered to vote.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:54:36 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Interesting that he connects having a 'great relationship' with God to his political influence with 'evangelicals.'

Those two aren't really related, are they?

(btw, editorial comment......... those who have a 'great relationship with God' understand that they have to ask forgiveness repeatedly every day).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

Perhaps if he actually attended church he'd have a firmer grasp on what the Bible says (though not, of course, if it's PCUSA  :laugh:).

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Come on, what an unfair attack. We all know Our DonaldTM has the perfect relationship with God. It is Golden, it is huge. It is probably the best relationship you would ever hear about. It is such a great relationship, God asks Trump for forgiveness. Why else would God have raised up Trump after a thousand years to be our politician and savior and give him that Bible to swing around at events?

Offline mountaineer

It is such a great relationship, God asks Trump for forgiveness.
omg! We can recycle all those Chuck Norris memes and just insert "Donald Trump." You know, like, "When Google has a question, they Norris 'Trump' it" or, "Guns carry Chuck Norris Donald Trump for protection."  :silly:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Come on, what an unfair attack. We all know Our DonaldTM has the perfect relationship with God. It is Golden, it is huge. It is probably the best relationship you would ever hear about. It is such a great relationship, God asks Trump for forgiveness. Why else would God have raised up Trump after a thousand years to be our politician and savior and give him that Bible to swing around at events?
LOL.
God's a loser...a third rate talentless hack.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Donnie, Donnie, Donnie ...

No one likes to ask forgiveness from anyone, least of all God. Liking it has nothing to do with it though. As the Big Guy said: "Where were you, when I made the world."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
omg! We can recycle all those Chuck Norris memes and just insert "Donald Trump." You know, like, "When Google has a question, they Norris 'Trump' it" or, "Guns carry Chuck Norris Donald Trump for protection."  :silly:

When god goes to sleep at night, he wears Donald Trump pajamas.

BTW, not that it matters, Trump did not say that he does not ask for forgiveness. What he said was that he does not 'like' to ask for forgiveness, and therefore he strives to always do good things. That is a noble idea. But it is not what is being reported. Who cares about the truth anyway?

Anyway, it just more and more and more free press for Trump, so whatever.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ABX

There was a "Trump Facts" meme going around facebook a while back along those lines. They used some of the crazy things people said about him as well as the kind of stuff people in North Korea are told about Dear Leader. It was a trip.

Offline ABX

Offline libertybele

:amen:  This is by far the absolute best 'summation' of 'The Donald' ever posted in this forum (seriously). 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Quote from: AbaraXas
:silly: :silly: :silly:

Is a larger sized image available?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:39:49 am by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
"I promise you I will do such a good job. First of all, I am a great Christian -- and I am -- I am. Remember that. And I do well with the evangelicals. But the evangelicals left me down a little bit this last month. I don't know what I did. But I am a great Christian."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps-message-iowa-great-christian/story?id=34781048

Offline ABX

Offline ABX

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

BTW, not that it matters, Trump did not say that he does not ask for forgiveness. What he said was that he does not 'like' to ask for forgiveness, and therefore he strives to always do good things. That is a noble idea. But it is not what is being reported. Who cares about the truth anyway?

Yeah 240B - why should they let facts get in the way of a fun recess at kindergarten?  Let the children play, it keeps them from being afraid.

Not only does Trump live rent-free in their heads - he's got a year lease! 

"The Art of the Deal"   :smokin:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

I can see where the confusion is, this has come up several times. Today is when he said he doesn't 'like to ask forgiveness' as you cited above
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-on-god-i-dont-like-to-have-to-ask-for-forgiveness-2016-1

However, in July is where the 'he hasn't asked for forgiveness' came from.  (Family Leadership Summit)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politics/trump-has-never-sought-forgiveness/index.html

Moderator Frank Luntz asked Trump whether he has ever asked God for forgiveness for his actions.

"I am not sure I have. I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so," he said. "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."

Trump said that while he hasn't asked God for forgiveness, he does participate in Holy Communion.

"When I drink my little wine -- which is about the only wine I drink -- and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed," he said. "I think in terms of 'let's go on and let's make it right.'"

Multiple interviews on the same topic with slightly different answers.  The 'doesn't like to' was today's answer. The 'I don't think so, not sure I have...' was the one most people know about because it has made its rounds for six months.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I can see where the confusion is, this has come up several times. Today is when he said he doesn't 'like to ask forgiveness' as you cited above
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-on-god-i-dont-like-to-have-to-ask-for-forgiveness-2016-1

However, in July is where the 'he hasn't asked for forgiveness' came from.  (Family Leadership Summit)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politics/trump-has-never-sought-forgiveness/index.html

Multiple interviews on the same topic with slightly different answers.  The 'doesn't like to' was today's answer. The 'I don't think so, not sure I have...' was the one most people know about because it has made its rounds for six months.

Trump says says stuff, sometimes for no reason. He is just goofing around and generating press. I'm sure he was joking or saying it to set people off the rail.

If Trump is Catholic and is receiving communion, then he must go to confession. Confession is asking forgiveness, so the point is moot. I'm sure he did his donations, and his Hail Mary's and did what he was told. All is forgiven, and he knows it.

He just likes to be a jerk sometimes.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ABX

Trump says says stuff, sometimes for no reason. He is just goofing around and generating press. I'm sure he was joking or saying it to set people off the rail.

If Trump is Catholic and is receiving communion, then he must go to confession. Confession is asking forgiveness, so the point is moot. I'm sure he did his donations, and his Hail Mary's and did what he was told. All is forgiven, and he knows it.

He also says stuff just to 'play to people's fantasies'.

Offline alicewonders

My opinion?  That's between him and his maker. 

Offline alicewonders

Maybe that was his way of saying, "my religion is none of your business and when - or when I don't - ask for forgiveness is something I keep between me and God".

He's probably also shrewd enough to know that it was a trick question - "Oh - you have asked for forgiveness?  What was it that you did to prompt that?"

What a creepy question to ask someone anyway.

Offline mountaineer

No one claimed Trump said he does not ask forgiveness.  We commented on his saying he didn't like to do it. He says he's Presbyterian,  not Catholic,  by the way.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
What a waste.

I do not know what a Presbyterian is, but I do know that it is a waste of a good Catholic.

HAPPY2BME

Donald Trump is about average.

He is obviously not born again.

But who cares?