Author Topic: Was Glenn Beck Double Duped by Fake Trump Tweet Website  (Read 5710 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Was Glenn Beck Double Duped by Fake Trump Tweet Website
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:28:59 pm »
This morning, Glenn Beck made an apology for posting what he was told was a fake tweet from Donald Trump saying he voted for Obama. You surely have seen this tweet as it has been in high prominence since Trump kicked off his campaign if not before.

Beck apologized saying he was told this tweet cam from a website 'Faketrumptweet.com'. Many have scratched their head on this because that tweet has been making the rounds for long before this campaign and several websites even documented when it was pulled from Trump's account.

https://malaach.wordpress.com/2015/09/19/breaking-trump-deleted-tweet-revealing-he-voted-for-his-friend-barack-obama/

This site has gone so far as to check the formatting of the tweet and found the tweet image you've seen does not match that of 'faketrumptweet.com'.

More importantly, 'faketrumptweet.com' was only registered in August 2015, long after this tweet has been making the rounds.

https://whois.net/faketrumptweet.com

In addition, this also matches what Trump said about who he voted for at the time. For example, from NewsMax in 2011 (again, long before this election cycle and before the faketrumptweet.com site was created).

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Trump-Obama-class-warfare/2011/10/19/id/414955/

Is the Tweet real?  That is still up in the air but evidence is strong against it being created by Faketrumptweet.com. 

Offline ABX

Re: Was Glenn Beck Double Duped by Fake Trump Tweet Website
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:39:26 pm »
Evidence against this being real is shortly after the date on the tweet is when Trump started going Birther on Obama. It seems his praise for Obama ended around 2011.

It is still much earlier than the 'faketrumptweet.com' site, but that's not saying it is real.

Beck may have just been premature apologizing. He could have made the same point, however, using other statements and interviews by Trump.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:22:48 pm »
When I retweeted it back in June (I think - have to check), I actually got it from Trump's twitter account. The verified one that he still uses daily.

Just sayin.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:57:51 pm »

:shrug:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:13:58 pm »
Evidence against this being real is shortly after the date on the tweet is when Trump started going Birther on Obama. It seems his praise for Obama ended around 2011.

It is still much earlier than the 'faketrumptweet.com' site, but that's not saying it is real.

Beck may have just been premature apologizing. He could have made the same point, however, using other statements and interviews by Trump.

Do you have links to any of those other statements and interviews?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:17:09 pm »
When I retweeted it back in June (I think - have to check), I actually got it from Trump's twitter account. The verified one that he still uses daily.

Just sayin.  :shrug:

Well there you go..  I would take your first person observation as evidence versus unnamed blogs.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:50:32 am »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 01:15:54 am »
Who is his best BUD.     :whistle:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/17/2798449/

Thanks for posting that link Longiron - here's the story that goes with it:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/17/2798449/

Glenn Beck Apologizes After Citing Anti-Trump Hoax Tweet on Fox News; Trump Fires Back: Dope’s ‘Company Is Falling Apart’
by TONY LEE 17 Jan 2016

On Saturday evening, Glenn Beck apologized for falsely claiming—based on a photoshopped hoax Tweet from faketrumptweet.com—that GOP frontrunner Donald Trump voted for Barack Obama in 2008.

Beck made his apology after Trump called him out on his lie and obliterated Beck at a Saturday campaign event in New Hampshire.

“My apologies for the misinformation,” Beck wrote on his Facebook page. “I owe Donald Trump an apology for the error of this tweet. More importantly I owe you an apology for making the water muddy where the water is crystal clear on his record.”

Beck had Tweeted that Trump had voted for Obama in 2008 before making the false allegation on Fox News’s O’Reilly Factor on Friday, insisting to host Bill O’Reilly, “he voted for Obama in ’08, come on Bill.”

New media and bloggers quickly pointed out that Beck based his comments on a photoshopped Tweet that did not even have Twitter’s verified check mark next to Trump’s name. The “delete” option, which is only visible to the account holder, was also visible on the fake Tweet.

Why do you keep saying things like you didn’t vote for @BarackObama ?… just admit it @realDonaldTrump pic.twitter.com/ZgL9OAOZck

— Glenn Beck (@glennbeck) January 16, 2016

“This dopey guy, Glenn Beck, he looks like hell. No, he’s like a dope. And I’ve watched him cry on television all the time. He’s doing very badly. His thing is falling apart. His company is falling apart,” Trump said in New Hampshire.

Trump, who publicly endorsed McCain in 2008, pointed out that he was “on Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)’s committee, raised a tremendous amount of money for John McCain, had dinner with John McCain and his wife right before the election, and I’ve got to listen to this idiot named Glenn Beck.” Trump also said he asked O’Reilly, “Bill, why do you have a guy like that on television?”

Trump has called Beck a “real nut job” who speaks “badly of me only because I refuse to do his show.” On Saturday, Trump again said that Beck started attacking him after Trump refused to go on Beck’s program.

“Unlike me, his viewers & ratings are way down & he has become irrelevant,” Trump previously Tweeted.

Trump, as he has done to the mainstream media, has prevented Beck from spreading lies and misinformation during this election cycle. Trump pointed out on Saturday that “the thing about having a large microphone is that we can at least explain to people that these people lie so much.”

Trump said there is often “no one to refute” people like Beck when they lie and said he has discovered “how smart the public is, how caring the public is” while taking on the lies that Beck and the mainstream media have tried to disseminate.

Beck has had it out from Trump since Trump started leading the the 2016 presidential polls. Beck has gone on left-wing National Public Radio to slam Trump as a “progressive” just like he did against Newt Gingrich in 2012 when Tea Party supporters started to support Gingrich over Mitt Romney. After insisting that “we have a real, serious issue with civility,” Beck called Trump a “son of a bitch.” The political shock jock/entertainer also mocked Trump for keeping all of the Bibles people send him in a safe place and vowed to not support Trump if he is the GOP nominee.

HAPPY2BME

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 02:30:29 pm »
Glenn Beck just apologized for retweeting a phony tweet, but then did a compelling argument, based on Donald Trump's words, and his positions in 2008 and 2009, as to why he still believes that Trump voted for Obama.

Pure logic would tell you, with Trump's being a registered Democrat in New York, with his extreme views on the Iraq War and disdain for George W. Bush, that Trump would not have voted for McCain.

He also went through a series of Trump quotes from 2009, supporting Obama's economic policies, Stimulus package, bank bailouts, etc., also supporting the speculation that Trump voted for Obama.

He said that, while there is obviously no way to know who he actually voted for, given his own positions at the time, he still believes that Trump voted for Obama.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 02:41:30 pm »
Glenn Beck just apologized for retweeting a phony tweet, but then did a compelling argument, based on Donald Trump's words, and his positions in 2008 and 2009, as to why he still believes that Trump voted for Obama.

Pure logic would tell you, with Trump's being a registered Democrat in New York, with his extreme views on the Iraq War and disdain for George W. Bush, that Trump would not have voted for McCain.

He also went through a series of Trump quotes from 2009, supporting Obama's economic policies, Stimulus package, bank bailouts, etc., also supporting the speculation that Trump voted for Obama.

He said that, while there is obviously no way to know who he actually voted for, given his own positions at the time, he still believes that Trump voted for Obama.

Fake but accurate?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 02:45:46 pm »
Watching Glenn now - his family and friends need to do an intervention.  He is unhinged.  Used to like him, now I think he needs psychiatric help.  The man was caught tweeting a lie - and now he uses the old Dan Rather argument.

I heard he's already lost half of his audience - watch his numbers go down after this disturbing performance. 

I laughed when I saw the big "HONOR" sign behind him.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 02:49:24 pm »
Fake but accurate?

That's not an accurate interpretation of what Beck said (nor what I said).

Logic, based on Trump's actual quotes, his economic views, and his political party, support the probability that he voted for Obama.

He hated the Iraq War, he supported Obama's economic policies, and he was a Democrat, and had been for nearly a decade (before that he was an Independent, left of the Democrat party).

It's pretty imaginative to believe that he voted for McCain, who wanted to escalate the War that made Bush the worst President in history.................. isn't it??

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 03:37:33 pm »
Watching Glenn now - his family and friends need to do an intervention.  He is unhinged.  Used to like him, now I think he needs psychiatric help.  The man was caught tweeting a lie - and now he uses the old Dan Rather argument.

I heard he's already lost half of his audience - watch his numbers go down after this disturbing performance. 

I listen to Beck fairly often, and I don't see him as unhinged or many of the other contemptuous phrases thrown at him by the TOS crowd.  I see him as genuinely concerned about the future of America and perturbed by much of what is going on right now.  But, who isn't?  Only the blissfully ignorant and downright stupid aren't.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:27 pm »
I listen to Beck fairly often, and I don't see him as unhinged or many of the other contemptuous phrases thrown at him by the TOS crowd.  I see him as genuinely concerned about the future of America and perturbed by much of what is going on right now.  But, who isn't?  Only the blissfully ignorant and downright stupid aren't.

Exactly right about him.

He's not 'unhinged' in the least.  He's documenting every opinion he voices.

(The last caller named Anita was most definitely 'unhinged' however.....)

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »
That's not an accurate interpretation of what Beck said (nor what I said).

Logic, based on Trump's actual quotes, his economic views, and his political party, support the probability that he voted for Obama.

He hated the Iraq War, he supported Obama's economic policies, and he was a Democrat, and had been for nearly a decade (before that he was an Independent, left of the Democrat party).

It's pretty imaginative to believe that he voted for McCain, who wanted to escalate the War that made Bush the worst President in history.................. isn't it??

He posted a fake tweet - he knee-jerked when he saw the fake tweet and couldn't wait to have his staff check it out before he put it out there.  NOW, he is trying to distract away from what he did.

Glenn Beck is going down and he deserves to.  He's lost all credibility - wasted all the capital he's earned all these years.  He is insane.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:23 pm »

If you know anything about Glenn Beck's audience, you know that it has always been opposed to Trump.  In all the polls they've done with all the audience, Trump has always been near the bottom of those supported, and Cruz has always been at the top.

Half the audience isn't leaving because he continues to point out how far left Donald Trump really is.

(His support for a partial birth abortion SC nominee as late as 2015 is but one example).

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »
He posted a fake tweet - he knee-jerked when he saw the fake tweet and couldn't wait to have his staff check it out before he put it out there.  NOW, he is trying to distract away from what he did.

Glenn Beck is going down and he deserves to.  He's lost all credibility - wasted all the capital he's earned all these years.  He is insane.

He completely apologized for reposting the tweet without checking it out.

That doesn't support 'losing all credibility' or being 'insane' because he doesn't support your guy....

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 03:53:18 pm »
btw, I used to only listen to Beck occasionally.  I started listening more often because of his support for and information about Christian persecution in the Middle East.

He's not insane.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 04:12:32 pm »
btw, I used to only listen to Beck occasionally.  I started listening more often because of his support for and information about Christian persecution in the Middle East.

He's not insane.

On the contrary, I find him to be quite rational and reasonable.

Even while I sometimes disagree with his conclusions, Beck, far more than most commentators makes every effort to gather facts and information before offering an opinion. Like most of us, he sometimes makes factual errors. Nonetheless, he has done a great deal to advance the public's understanding of the radical Islamic threat, the nature and goals of Progressivism, and the dangers of the "open borders" policy largely shared by the elites of both major American political parties.   

I have never heard him say anything vicious or cruel, even about Donald Trump, who he clearly dislikes and distrusts. To the contrary, he is trying to make sense of Trump's support, crossing as it does a number of common political fault lines. He is uneasy about the nature of Trump's appeal, as am I, as I also try to make sense of it.  Today, Beck is making time on his radio program for Trump's supporters to make their case for him, and he is doing so without anger, derisiveness or mockery. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 04:41:20 pm »
...Today, Beck is making time on his radio program for Trump's supporters to make their case for him, and he is doing so without anger, derisiveness or mockery.

I'm not in a place that I can listen today.  Is anyone making a good, rational case for Trump?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 04:55:47 pm »

LOL

I had him on the radio in the car earlier, it is quite clear that Trump has been living rent-free in his head for months now! 

(And why are those two stooges always in the studio with him?  Do they have to hold him down in his chair?)

:silly:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
I'm not in a place that I can listen today.  Is anyone making a good, rational case for Trump?

They are doing their best.  :nometalk:

I think the common thread among them is the belief that both parties have failed to solve America's problems, and that Trump, as an outsider and a man of action will actually do something instead of just talking about doing something. Given our recent history, it is not an argument without its merits. But it also depends on the belief that Trump's character and philosophy don't matter and that policy specifics are not important. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 05:04:00 pm »
LOL

I had him on the radio in the car earlier, it is quite clear that Trump has been living rent-free in his head for months now! 

:silly:

Well, Katzenjammer, Trump has almost totally occupied most of the media for months now.  Why would you think Beck should be different and ignore him? 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 05:30:42 pm »
Well, Katzenjammer, Trump has almost totally occupied most of the media for months now.  Why would you think Beck should be different and ignore him?

I never suggested that he ignore him.  I listen to his show most weekday mornings when I run errands, I've heard him since Trump entered the race.  There is a difference in covering the candidate (like Rush does, for example), and the daily ranting and raving that I hear from Beck and his crew most mornings.  (Do you remember the "Trump-Free Zone" they had going while Glenn was healing his throat?  They talked about him daily through the whole period!) YMMV