Author Topic: Was Glenn Beck Double Duped by Fake Trump Tweet Website  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Was Glenn Beck Double Duped by Fake Trump Tweet Website
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 05:39:28 pm »
I never suggested that he ignore him.  I listen to his show most weekday mornings when I run errands, I've heard him since Trump entered the race.  There is a difference in covering the candidate (like Rush does, for example), and the daily ranting and raving that I hear from Beck and his crew most mornings.  (Do you remember the "Trump-Free Zone" they had going while Glenn was healing his throat?  They talked about him daily through the whole period!) YMMV

I don't see your distinction.  Rush spends a whooooooooole lot of time on Trump.  But, maybe there's a difference there somewhere.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 05:42:46 pm »
I never suggested that he ignore him.  I listen to his show most weekday mornings when I run errands, I've heard him since Trump entered the race.  There is a difference in covering the candidate (like Rush does, for example), and the daily ranting and raving that I hear from Beck and his crew most mornings.  (Do you remember the "Trump-Free Zone" they had going while Glenn was healing his throat?  They talked about him daily through the whole period!) YMMV

Agree.  I try to listen to Beck almost every morning, but then he starts with Trump and I have to turn it off.  There are other things going on and this continuous droning on and on about Trump's faults has gotten tedious and ineffective.  If he is trying to change hearts and minds - he is failing.

I like Beck when he educates me about history.  I don't like his smirk when he goes full-on Trump - want to slap it off his face (just being honest). 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 05:46:41 pm »
I don't see your distinction.  Rush spends a whooooooooole lot of time on Trump.  But, maybe there's a difference there somewhere.

The difference is likely in the "ear" of the beholder!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 05:50:47 pm »

Agree.  I try to listen to Beck almost every morning, but then he starts with Trump and I have to turn it off.  There are other things going on and this continuous droning on and on about Trump's faults has gotten tedious and ineffective.  If he is trying to change hearts and minds - he is failing.

I like Beck when he educates me about history.  I don't like his smirk when he goes full-on Trump - want to slap it off his face (just being honest).

I agree totally.  When I switch over to his station, I am hoping to hear about some of the excellent material that he covers on the MB infiltration into the US gubmint, and the available documentation about the caliphate (and their stated beliefs).  He wastes his listeners time ranting and raving about Trump.  And yes, he isn't convincing anyone. 

Pro-tip: The best thing that people in the media could do if they want to stop Trump, is to STOP talking about him!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »

Pro-tip: The best thing that people in the media could do if they want to stop Trump, is to STOP talking about him!

Truer words were never spoken.  Or, as thoroughly ignored...

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 06:53:23 pm »
Fake but accurate?

Probably.   I know we've all heard the bluster,  but has Trump denied the accuracy of the charge?

I could care less about Beck.  But it would sure be interesting to me, and I'll bet a few other primary voters,  to know if Trump voted for Obama in 2008 (or 2012, as the "fake tweet" alleges.)   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 06:57:04 pm »

You're past the point of objectivity.  You're taking personally attacks on Trump as somehow attacks on the intelligence and common sense of Trump supporters.   They are not.   Every last Trump supporter is capable of exercising common sense.   No one has yet pulled a lever for anyone   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 07:02:41 pm »
....Every last Trump supporter is capable of exercising common sense. ...

Oh, honey, go over to TOS and read some of the Trump threads.  You won't be able to make that claim.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 07:22:01 pm »
Oh, honey, go over to TOS and read some of the Trump threads.  You won't be able to make that claim.

Forgive me, what's TOS?   

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 07:25:26 pm »
On the contrary, I find him to be quite rational and reasonable.

Even while I sometimes disagree with his conclusions, Beck, far more than most commentators makes every effort to gather facts and information before offering an opinion. Like most of us, he sometimes makes factual errors. Nonetheless, he has done a great deal to advance the public's understanding of the radical Islamic threat, the nature and goals of Progressivism, and the dangers of the "open borders" policy largely shared by the elites of both major American political parties.   

I have never heard him say anything vicious or cruel, even about Donald Trump, who he clearly dislikes and distrusts. To the contrary, he is trying to make sense of Trump's support, crossing as it does a number of common political fault lines. He is uneasy about the nature of Trump's appeal, as am I, as I also try to make sense of it.  Today, Beck is making time on his radio program for Trump's supporters to make their case for him, and he is doing so without anger, derisiveness or mockery.

I echo your sentiments and thoughts completely.

I disagree with Beck on many, many things (like the Iraq war for one), but he's been fair about Trump.

And today, the conversation with Carol (from Ohio) was very beneficial, and mutually respectful.  I found it interesting that she (Carol) laughed at Trump's personal attacks on Beck's appearance, said that she knew that what Trump was saying was completely false, but that somehow, she didn't find that a disqualifier for being President.

That's the quandry I'm in now.  There are a whole host of people who have personal values and integrity who just don't seem to care that Trump is lacking those qualities.  They make excuses for lies, for horrific attacks on people (like Fiorina, Cruz, Rubio, the handicapped, Megyn Kelly, etc.) when they themselves, would never lie or make the same kind of below the belt, awful attack on anyone else.  They also don't care if he supported the Dream Act a few years ago because he's railing on immigration now, nor that he supported a pro-partial birth abortion candidate last year and now claims to be pro-life.  They don't care that he has supported bank bailouts, the Stimulus package, and yes (not a lie) single payer health care.

I think Beck is bewildered as many of the rest of us are that somehow the 'anger' we feel about what's going on suddenly makes the values we've always held to be important, both political and moral, irrelevant.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:33:25 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »
Truer words were never spoken.  Or, as thoroughly ignored...

The problem is that the media has chosen the Republican candidate for us in the last several elections.

They picked McCain for us, even though we despised him, they picked Romney for us, and now they're picking Trump.

They don't WANT to stop talking about him.  He's a Progressive media person's dream (Republican.... or not) candidate.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 08:00:13 pm »
FACEBOOK:

Glenn Beck
5 hrs ·

I lead with my mistakes.

I recently retweeted a tweet from Donald Trump that indicated he voted for Barack Obama. This tweet was a hoax, and I apologized to Donald for reposting it.

What makes it worse, is that when I clicked “send” I was in the middle of arduous and honorable charity work. Apparently, if I just forwarded a chain letter to 100 friends, Bill Gates would give $1 million to an orphanage that treats children without eyelids. Not to mention, I would get a free iPad! (I’m not sure why Bill Gates is giving away iPads.)

Trump has answered the charges aggressively, and that makes a lot of sense. Obviously, if people thought he voted for Barack Obama it would heavily damage his campaign. In fact, we can all probably agree that a vote for Obama should disqualify him from the republican nomination in the mind of almost every primary voter. If you couldn’t figure out that Barack Obama was going to be bad for this country, you probably shouldn’t be leading the opposition party.

As we talked about on the radio show Friday, no one except Donald knows for sure what he did when he was alone in the voting booth. This is why the tweet seemed so incredible to me. It was an additional piece of evidence that seemingly proved a strong circumstantial case. (That’s still no excuse for reposting it.)

But, while the tweet appeared to be new evidence, it wasn’t part of my reasoning when I said it on radio and television. As I pointed out on Fox, I was referring to the 2008 election, not 2012. Here is why I believe Donald Trump did, in fact, vote for Barack Obama in 2008:

1. He was a registered democrat when he cast the vote. Trump had been a registered democrat for 7 years by the time the 2008 election came around.

2. This doesn’t guarantee that Trump voted for Obama of course. However, registered democrats in New York voted for Obama by a 91% to 8% margin. So, if Trump was in that 8%, he was quite the outlier.

3. He remained in the democratic party for almost another year after casting the vote.

4. In the decade leading up to the vote, he was a dedicated Democrat, with the only exception being his flirtation with the Independence (Reform) Party in 1999-2000. Incidentally, in this period, large parts of his platform were considerably to the left of Hillary Clinton, or Barack Obama. In fact, I don’t believe even Bernie Sanders has ever proposed a wealth tax on what is in your bank account.

5. In the year leading up to the vote, he spoke favorably about Hillary Clinton, telling Wolf Blitzer “I think Hillary would do a good job." Obviously, it is theoretically possible for someone that thinks Hillary would be a good president to vote against Obama. But to paraphrase Donald: “Not a lot of Republican votes come out of blue state democrats that support Hillary Clinton.”

6. He was among the fiercest critics of the Bush administration. Yes, now it’s hard to believe that he would have voted for Obama, but in 2008 he had spent several years speaking just as negatively about Bush. He called him “a terrible president, perhaps the worst president in the history of this country.”

7. It’s not just that he called Bush a “disaster” many times. It’s why he called him a disaster: Iraq. He called the invasion of Iraq “one of the worst decisions ever made” saying it would have been a “wonderful thing” if he had been impeached because of the war. In fact, he was arguing for the war related impeachment of Bush just two weeks before he cast his presidential vote.

8. Given his opinion on Iraq, consider Trump’s available choices as he looked back: one candidate on record opposing the war, one candidate on record passionately supporting “one of the worst decisions ever made.” Why wouldn’t he vote for Obama?

9. Similarly, given his opinion on Iraq, consider Trump’s available choices as he looked forward: one candidate on record saying he would end the war, the other on record saying he would escalate it. Why wouldn’t he vote for Obama?

10. He continued to praise Obama after the election telling Larry King “Here's a man that not only got elected, I think he's doing a really good job.”

11. He gushed about Obama in his 2009 book: “His comments have led me to believe that he understands how the economy works on a comprehensive level. He has also surrounded himself with very competent people, and that’s the mark of a strong leader.”

12. He supported Obama’s first main policy push, the stimulus, saying it was “what we need” while praising Obama’s for “building infrastructure, building great projects, putting people to work in that sense.”

13. He supported Obama’s efforts to fix the banks including to potentially “nationalize” them. “I do agree with what they're doing with the banks. Whether they fund them or nationalize them, it doesn't matter.”

14. Looking back at this period, he described himself as Obama’s "biggest cheerleader."

15. Trump’s argument is that he raised money for McCain, so obviously he supported him. Is this really a standard Donald feels comfortable with? Does that mean he also supported John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, Anthony Weiner and Eliot Spitzer?

16. Immediately following the passage of Obamacare, while even moderate republicans coalesced around its repeal, Donald Trump made a maximum donation to the campaign of Harry Reid. Reid was one of the few vulnerable democrats able to hold on to power in the Tea Party wave election of 2010.

17. Speaking of the Tea Party wave, put yourself in that moment again. Hope for constitutional preferences was renewed. Hundreds of thousands of people were gathering all across the country and in Washington DC for Restoring Honor. Conservatives celebrated the biggest wave in a century. One month after that election, Donald Trump gave $50,000 to Barack Obama’s Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel.

Do I believe Donald Trump voted for Barack Obama in 2008? Yes. Yes, I do.

I could go on, but I’m in the middle of intense financial negotiations with an ousted Nigerian prince.

http://www.politifact.com/…/donald-trumps-campaign-contrib…/

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#val=NYP00p1

http://www.politifact.com/…/bush-says-trump-was-democrat-l…/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/…/trump-on-obama-in-2009-i-think-he…

http://www.cnn.com/…/politi…/donald-trump-election-democrat/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGM3cUMhrs4

http://dailycaller.com/…/donald-trump-wanted-last-republic…/

http://www.foxnews.com/…/trump-former-president-george-w-bu…

http://www.marketwatch.com/…/donald-trump-calls-ex-presiden…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/002f4c7c-18ea-11e5-ab92-c7…

http://www.newsmax.com/…/Trump-Obama-…/2011/10/19/id/414955/

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0904/15/lkl.01.html
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 08:14:16 pm »
Thanks for posting that list of facts, mountaineer.

Builds a very solid case, with documented evidence.

But some will deny it because Beck is a crazy man, and we should laugh at him.......    **nononono*

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:05 pm »
He posted a fake tweet - he knee-jerked when he saw the fake tweet and couldn't wait to have his staff check it out before he put it out there.  NOW, he is trying to distract away from what he did.

Glenn Beck is going down and he deserves to.  He's lost all credibility - wasted all the capital he's earned all these years.  He is insane.

I had no idea he was still on the air.  I thought he'd been put in a long-term care hospital--something about a combination of cognitive problems and going blind.

I was relieved when I heard this--I thought it was good he was finally where he belonged and where professionals could take care of him round the clock.  :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 10:53:27 pm »
I had no idea he was still on the air.  I thought he'd been put in a long-term care hospital--something about a combination of cognitive problems and going blind.

I was relieved when I heard this--I thought it was good he was finally where he belonged and where professionals could take care of him round the clock.  :shrug:

Beck has been very ill, which is why Trump's vindictive attack on his physical appearance was so very, very despicable.  His weight gain is directly related to his physical condition.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 12:06:39 pm »
Beck's sidekick Stu has posted this on Facebook:
Stu Burguiere
7 hrs ·

I am the ringleader.

That's what a caller told me today. I am the ringleader of the anti-Trump movement.

I don't think that's true, but if it is, I wear the title with honor.

We have a duel mandate on the show. We attempt to do a show that is entertaining, and at the same time advance the constitutional principles that we believe are good for the country.

Trump fans have accused me of only going after him because of some mythical money making scheme. Because apparently bashing Republican frontrunners on talk radio is the pathway to big ratings.

First of all, when you want money it's usually better to befriend billionaires, not antagonize them.

But, let me lay this out for those who don't understand. If all we did was talk about what was best for the country, we shouldn't talk about anything else until this primary was over.

Usually, when we have an issue that is important to the country, it's borderline impossible. There's always some annoying establishment figure in the way.

This time, conservatives can do it themselves. Getting rid of Trump depends on the people who say they are conservative, simply voting for a conservative. This one should be easy.

Are we really going to let this election come down to Hillary Clinton versus a Hillary Clinton donor? Really?

Are we obsessed with Trump personally? Nope. He can be as progressive of a reality show host as he wants. But, he wants to run the free world, so yeah- I am obsessed with the future of the country. I've got a couple of kids that I'd like to have a nice place to grow up in.

My complaints about Trump largely fall into three categories:

1) He is not a reliable conservative.
2) The constitution does not factor into his decision making process.
3). We actually have good choices.

Maybe I'd understand there being Trump defenders during the general election. I wouldn't agree with it, but I'd understand it.

However, during the primary, there is simply no reason to settle for someone who found conservatism last Wednesday, and who seems to forget where he left it every eleven minutes.

His current line of attack on Ted Cruz should speak volumes. ~"He can't get along with anyone in Washington. He can't make deals. He can't get in a room and have dinner with congress and get something done."

GOOD.

Is that an attack on Ted Cruz or a campaign commercial for him?

We don't have to settle. So, don't.

Signed,

The Ringleader.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »

Who is/was? Regan did amnesty, George H did taxes, George W did medicare D. Did you vote for McCain and Romney? Tell me, who is reliably conservative? (btw, in politics, the word 'conservative' is a chameleon word).

Why? Because of the 2005 Kelo decision? Then, you have an issue with the court, not Trump. He didn't invent the system, he uses it to his advantage to keep construction crews working to keep build great things.

Here's how other countries handle the issue:
Eminent domain (United States, the Philippines), compulsory purchase (United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ireland), resumption (Hong Kong), resumption/compulsory acquisition (Australia), or expropriation (South Africa, Canada) is the power of a state or a national government to take private property for public use.

Agreed; Donald Trump included.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Nice letter from Stu.   The woman who called him the "ringleader" was absolutely unhinged and incoherent.

I'm glad Stu responded with reason.

And reasons.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2016, 04:51:33 pm »
(Do you remember the "Trump-Free Zone" they had going while Glenn was healing his throat?  They talked about him daily through the whole period!) YMMV

===============================================

Same thing happens here, 24/7.  Same exact thing.

And they wonder why Trump's lead won't dwindle down to less than (+) 10% in his favor.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 05:43:50 pm »
For some reason, people that don't like Trump cannot STOP talking about him!  In fact, they talk about him a million times more than they talk about who they want to be president - in fact, with most of them - we don't even know who that is.  Same with Beck.  I guess Trumphobia just overtakes your brain - like a virus or something. 

As far as the lady that called in his show that was called "unhinged" - I guess I'm unhinged too - I thought she made perfect sense and echoed my thoughts exactly.  I thought she stuck it in and broke it off. 

Carry on.   @@@girlfight

Offline Longiron

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:50 pm »
For some reason, people that don't like Trump cannot STOP talking about him!  In fact, they talk about him a million times more than they talk about who they want to be president - in fact, with most of them - we don't even know who that is.  Same with Beck.  I guess Trumphobia just overtakes your brain - like a virus or something. 

As far as the lady that called in his show that was called "unhinged" - I guess I'm unhinged too - I thought she made perfect sense and echoed my thoughts exactly.  I thought she stuck it in and broke it off. 

Carry on.   @@@girlfight

Agree if TRUMP is a blowhard, ego manic, not conservative, DEM, Liar, no respect for women but ok w Slick WILLE why and continue to TALK about him. Just do not pay any attention to this guy? BUT the funny thing is no one can argue anything about his positions of why they do not like them and what would their candidate do better or different???  If PALIN endorses him as the rumor is this afternoon watch a number of heads splode
Big time and guess who's  supporters move? No all but 40%+ :silly:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:53:49 pm by Longiron »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
People who love Trump can't stop talking about him either, alice.

But maybe the reason those of us who don't like him keep talking about him is that he has a way of saying things (mostly nasty) that keep him in the news.

He's good at that, because it's all about him, and the media loves it because they're getting to pick our candidate for us.

Again.......

Offline aligncare

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2016, 06:21:34 pm »
It's interesting to see Cruz catching on big since he began punching back at Trump and started saying more controversial things and getting more press for it. He's learning from Trump's approach. Shows Cruz to be adaptable and smart. I'm still pulling for Trump who in my opinion can beat the democrats--any candidate they can sneak in under cover of night.

Trump's presence in this race has forced the other candidates to up their game. No doubt in my mind.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:25:04 pm by aligncare »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »
People who love Trump can't stop talking about him either, alice.

But maybe the reason those of us who don't like him keep talking about him is that he has a way of saying things (mostly nasty) that keep him in the news.

He's good at that, because it's all about him, and the media loves it because they're getting to pick our candidate for us.

Again.......

If someone would care to do the research - I would bet real good money that the overwhelming majority of articles posted here about Trump are by people that don't like him.  The majority of what I post about him is to dispute what I see as incorrect information about him. 

I've been evolving the last few days.  Ted Cruz was my number one pick and I've said so many times.  But, I support Trump's rightful place in the race and I will defend him when I see necessary because I think he is serving an extremely valuable place at this time in history.  We need an outsider to come to Washington DC and start doing things in a different way than we are now (definition of insanity?).  Trump and Cruz are the two most important outsiders because of the support that they currently have.  They are both worth protecting to me.

But the attitude here lately of childish mockery and silly graphics to impugn Trump as a legitimate candidate that has been running in first place from the beginning - the ignoring of what was ACTUALLY said in favor of what you want it to mean - AND - most especially - since he has started to run against Cruz (because he is in it to win it) - the hate has grown to insane proportions.  It is like a wildfire now!

Back to my point - I am evolving as of late mostly because of some of the people around here (because of the reasons I have listed above) - just like when Palin was popular at FR - Cruz's followers are becoming a BIG turn-off to me.  Not all of them, but the loudest ones - the vitriol reminds me of Palin worshipers.  You do your candidate no favors. 

I don't think Cruz can win - his support seems to mainly come from one little niche.  I don't think he'll get very many votes outside of that little niche.  I still like him, but I don't support him as a candidate that can win on a national level - PLUS - I don't think he'll get much cooperation from his own party to implement the changes he proposes.  Not going to happen.

Right now, I'm all in for Trump and have pretty much crossed Cruz off my list - just like I did Palin a long time ago.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 06:30:23 pm »

Who is/was? Regan did amnesty, George H did taxes, George W did medicare D. Did you vote for McCain and Romney? Tell me, who is reliably conservative? (btw, in politics, the word 'conservative' is a chameleon word).

And, this is exactly the kind of bad judgement, incrementalism and anti-conservatism that we DON'T need and seek to avoid.

Why? Because of the 2005 Kelo decision? Then, you have an issue with the court, not Trump. He didn't invent the system, he uses it to his advantage to keep construction crews working to keep build great things.

We want a guy for whom ethics are situational and the Constitution has no meaning, except when it can possibly be used to attack his fellow Republicans?  I sure hope not.

Here's how other countries handle the issue:
Eminent domain (United States, the Philippines), compulsory purchase (United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ireland), resumption (Hong Kong), resumption/compulsory acquisition (Australia), or expropriation (South Africa, Canada) is the power of a state or a national government to take private property for public use.

Agreed; Donald Trump included.[/i][/size]

Based on what you said and I quoted, no, Trump isn't.