Author Topic: Lupica: There's just no 'value' to Ted Cruz and his criticism to ‘New York values'  (Read 833 times)

Offline aligncare

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/lupica-ted-cruz-new-york-city-values-9-11-heroes-article-1.2497009

This is what Ted Cruz, who wasn’t just born out of town but out of the country, said about Donald Trump the other day:

“Donald comes from New York and he embodies New York values.” And made it sound as if this was some variation of insulting Trump about his hair.

Later Cruz kept digging, telling Megyn Kelly of “Fox News” that New York values weren’t Iowa values or New Hampshire values, as if he is suddenly as big an expert on values as he says he is on the Constitution. Finally on Thursday night he brought his cockeyed theories about the city to the Republican debate in South Carolina.

“Everybody understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal and pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage,” he said. “And focus on money and the media.” This was right before Trump turned and calmly took him apart again for insulting the city the way he has.

More at link....

My comment:

To be fair, there was no chance of Ted Cruz getting Manhattan's vote. Nor would Donald Trump, for that matter.

But, anyway, if NYC were to decide to vote against Hillary and the democrats, the vote would go to Donald Trump--not Ted Cruz.

Offline GourmetDan

“Everybody understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal and pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage,” he said. “And focus on money and the media.”

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I doubt Ted was going to get many votes in N.Y. to begin with but the reaction to what he said there is proving his point I think!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:33:28 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
This has not been good for Cruz. I wonder why he chose this particular line of attack?  I suspect he may have been trying to find a line of attack that didn't hit any Republican voters...as he needs them all in Iowa.  Cruz did well, quite well, in much of th debate - but he lost the big moment which becomes the media focus once the debate is over (this is somewhat predictable and unfair because there were many more important matters discussed last night - and discussed in an outstanding manner - but that's the nature of the media and what juice works for their shallow coverage).  He threw a big fat batting-practice fastball to Trump, and Trump got all of it. Not how Cruz intended that to go. 
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Gov. Cuomo to conservatives: Leave NY!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

This has not been good for Cruz. I wonder why he chose this particular line of attack?  I suspect he may have been trying to find a line of attack that didn't hit any Republican voters...as he needs them all in Iowa.  Cruz did well, quite well, in much of th debate - but he lost the big moment which becomes the media focus once the debate is over (this is somewhat predictable and unfair because there were many more important matters discussed last night - and discussed in an outstanding manner - but that's the nature of the media and what juice works for their shallow coverage).  He threw a big fat batting-practice fastball to Trump, and Trump got all of it. Not how Cruz intended that to go.

Yes, and it is a bit surprising.  Trump basically had already responded (to the #NewYorkValues attack) in the same way during at least one media interview prior to the debate.  Cruz should have known what was coming before he floated that batting-practice fastball over the plate.  It was one of the more surprising aspects of the debate.

Offline PzLdr

Cruz and Lupica's problem is conflating "New York" with "New York City". While a lot of the population may be located there, a lot, and most of New York's territory, is not. And a lot of that other population [and territory] is red, not blue. Broad brush strokes from an imbecile like Lupica, one expects. From somebody as smart as Cruz, not so much. Just sayin'.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Cruz and Lupica's problem is conflating "New York" with "New York City". While a lot of the population may be located there, a lot, and most of New York's territory, is not. And a lot of that other population [and territory] is red, not blue. Broad brush strokes from an imbecile like Lupica, one expects. From somebody as smart as Cruz, not so much. Just sayin'.

Is Governor Cuomo the governor of ALL of NY?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Politics4us

What is new about criticizing New York values? Michael Savage has done it for years. People around America criticize San Francisco values too.

Offline aligncare

I said it elsewhere, Americans have a tradition of selecting presidents from rural and suburban America. My guess is exactly because cities are centers of bohemian life--which is not heartland America values, but is part of the American experience and mosaic nonetheless.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This will play to the interior and rural states and even rural NY. He'll lose NYC because of it, but is that really much of a loss?
The Republic is lost.

Offline PzLdr

Yeah, he is. And if the NYS GOP operation wasn't run out of a clown car, maybe he wouldn't be.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
This will play to the interior and rural states and even rural NY. He'll lose NYC because of it, but is that really much of a loss?

My thinking too. Insult a city he's never going to win to reaffirm his credentials with the more rural areas.

Besides, is he wrong? NYC values ARE pretty much as he described.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In the same way Queen Elizabeth is sovereign over a bunch of little ocean islands: an imperial lord over those who voted against him.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This has not been good for Cruz. I wonder why he chose this particular line of attack?  I suspect he may have been trying to find a line of attack that didn't hit any Republican voters...as he needs them all in Iowa.  Cruz did well, quite well, in much of th debate - but he lost the big moment which becomes the media focus once the debate is over

I think Cruz lost two rounds in the debate.  This one on his NY statements and the one with Rubio.  Rubio's frontal attack was wide and brutal.  Cruz was unprepared for that, too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
In the same way Queen Elizabeth is sovereign over a bunch of little ocean islands: an imperial lord over those who voted against him.

What about Hillary Clintoon? Did the people of New York not elect her to "serve" them  in the senate?

- J. R. R. Tolkien