Author Topic: Ann Coulter Shocks With Single Tweet As Nikki Haley Delivers GOP SOTU Response  (Read 6962 times)

Offline GourmetDan

Hilter is running for office again?  What party?

Maybe he meant Hitlery... as in Her Heinous...     :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline katzenjammer

Maybe he meant Hitlery... as in Her Heinous...     :silly:

Certainly a curious slip of the fingers, given the context of the post!

:silly:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Hilter is running for office again?  What party?
 :silly:

Oops!  That's a typo - my bad!   That's the risk with typing responses on the fly.   I'll correct my post.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Main Street conservatives...are those the ones who are purchased by the Chamber of Commerce?
Please tell me why as a small business Republican, I should be opposed to the Chamber of Commerce?

In my community most of the major employers are members of the C of C, and therefore provide thousands of jobs.

This anti-Chamber BS is one more illustration of the wheels simply coming off "contemporary conservatism."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Please tell me why as a small business Republican, I should be opposed to the Chamber of Commerce?

In my community most of the major employers are members of the C of C, and therefore provide thousands of jobs.

This anti-Chamber BS is one more illustration of the wheels simply coming off "contemporary conservatism."

I do not like politics as a collection of special interest groups vying for position or place by plying money to politicians.  Whether left or right it smacks of fascism to me.  Everyone has their own special interests they like and they dislike others' special interests.  I dislike it all - the very process of special interest politics whether on the left or right, it perverts our government, and damages those who do not have the money to play that game, in my opinion.  I believe the Chamber - like all other special interests - looks out for its particular interest not the general welfare.  It is the game of purchasing access and purchasing politicians outright that I don't like.  I don't have a problem with free association and I'm sure they, like every other left or right or center organization do good works in their own way.  It's the warping of our political system that I'm not fond of.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

I do not like politics as a collection of special interest groups vying for position or place by plying money to politicians.  Whether left or right it smacks of fascism to me.  Everyone has their own special interests they like and they dislike others' special interests.  I dislike it all - the very process of special interest politics whether on the left or right, it perverts our government, and damages those who do not have the money to play that game, in my opinion.  I believe the Chamber - like all other special interests - looks out for its particular interest not the general welfare.  It is the game of purchasing access and purchasing politicians outright that I don't like.  I don't have a problem with free association and I'm sure they, like every other left or right or center organization do good works in their own way.  It's the warping of our political system that I'm not fond of.

Excellent take. May very well have identified the crux of the dissatisfaction voters are feeling with Washington. Money gets you special consideration.

So, that begs the question. Is government working for everyone? Or, just the special few?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Get with the program, t_s! You have to oppose the Chamber of Commerce because they are part and parcel of the cheap labor express, that wants infinite illegals they can hire for pennies.

That shit is wrong, so vote for the Donald, the only candidate who tells it like it is, will get rid of the illegals and who is the only candidate who is documented as having used illegal labor. OK, forget that last bit. It was a business decision.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Conservatism is about preserving the good parts of the status quo. Businesses employee citizens. You can bet that liberals and democrats are going to be out to regulate and tax businesses at every chance. Make life difficult for the business, which in turn potentially harms the employees, too.

If a local business wants to expand, needs access to local government for zoning, signs, roads, parking, etc. an entity like the C of C is there for them.

Strength in numbers by grouping several local businesses gives them political strength, and negotiating power.

Donald Trump didn't get where he is, by not understanding how businesses, large and small, operate.

Example: A property owner just outside an incorporated town, wants to sell. He has a buyer lined up, but the buyer would prefer to be located inside the incorporated town limits.

What to do? Maybe approach the town's Chamber of Commerce for a discussion of how this could be mutually beneficial. Sit down with the city reps, too, same agenda.

There is nothing conspiratorial, sinister, crooked about doing things like this. How else do you think things "get done," anyway?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

t_s, I think that the confusion comes from the mixing up of the National Chamber of Commerce (the entity headed by Tom Donohue), and the local Chambers of Commerce spread throughout the nation.  I believe that you are referring to the local CoC organizations, that often provide a valuable service/function for businesses in the Chamber's area.

When you see people railing against the "Chamber of Commerce" it is more than likely the Donohue organization.  There are many good reasons (subject for another thread) for that dissatisfaction.

Painting with a broad brush, most local CoC groups do a fantastic job serving their local business community, on the national front, the Donohue-led CoC is a very different story. 

Here are just a couple of examples of perceived problems with the National CoC:

- Common Core: Business vs. tea party
- Corporate lobbying expense jumps as U.S. trade debate rages

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Conservatism is about preserving the good parts of the status quo. Businesses employee citizens. You can bet that liberals and democrats are going to be out to regulate and tax businesses at every chance. Make life difficult for the business, which in turn potentially harms the employees, too.

If a local business wants to expand, needs access to local government for zoning, signs, roads, parking, etc. an entity like the C of C is there for them.

Strength in numbers by grouping several local businesses gives them political strength, and negotiating power.

Donald Trump didn't get where he is, by not understanding how businesses, large and small, operate.

Example: A property owner just outside an incorporated town, wants to sell. He has a buyer lined up, but the buyer would prefer to be located inside the incorporated town limits.

What to do? Maybe approach the town's Chamber of Commerce for a discussion of how this could be mutually beneficial. Sit down with the city reps, too, same agenda.

There is nothing conspiratorial, sinister, crooked about doing things like this. How else do you think things "get done," anyway?

The Democrats and liberals special interests have the same points - and theirs are every bit as valid as your Chamber's is.  When it comes to government, I prefer that access and privilege do not go to who pays for it. Whether that is a liberal interest group or the chamber of commerce.  I think in both cases it perverts what government is supposed to be.

...Bob Dylan

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Fascism you say?

So what do you propose be done?   Have the government further regulate political speech and political commerce?  Why shouldn't we be able to band together, if we choose, in groups of common interest, and petition the government and/or the legislature, on that basis?  Isn't that a right we possess as free citizens?

We all oppose political corruption, but you seem to recoil at mere political influence.   You can only curb the latter with coercive restraints on human liberty, and if you're a conservative, then make the case for what we should specifically do to get rid of what makes you so apoplectic.  Will it be a big government solution?

Offline aligncare

Think about it (seriously). Why is lobbying government for constitutionally mandated services even necessary? (seriously)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've got no problems with Ms. Coulter speaking up.

Nikki Haley -has not- impressed me of late, particularly with her handling of the Confederate flag!

And, my attitude towards immigration -- both illegal AND "legal" -- is a matter of record here at The Briefing Room.
I think it should END, for at least fifty years!

Good on ya, Ann!

And... bravo to GAJohnnie for post #27 -- right on!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Fascism you say?

So what do you propose be done?   Have the government further regulate political speech and political commerce?  Why shouldn't we be able to band together, if we choose, in groups of common interest, and petition the government and/or the legislature, on that basis?  Isn't that a right we possess as free citizens?

We all oppose political corruption, but you seem to recoil at mere political influence.   You can only curb the latter with coercive restraints on human liberty, and if you're a conservative, then make the case for what we should specifically do to get rid of what makes you so apoplectic.  Will it be a big government solution?

I'm not apoplectic, I just don't like it.  I have absolutely no issue with freedom of association or promoting causes - but they are not the common interest.  They are a special interest.  Yes citizens possess those rights - but they have become tremendously perverted in a day where it takes millions of dollars and armies of lawyers to petition the government...and pay off the office holders.  Witness our recent omnibus budget - who got what they wanted?  The Democrats did and the oil interests did, the Democrats got what they wanted because they knew what the Republicans wanted.  And the Republicans wanted oil interest money.  I don't think the public was well-served by this transaction, which added to our debt (that no one seems to care about) and will denigrate our currency in the future and merely add to the rampant hidden inflation we all must live with.  I recoil at a political system where influence itself has become big business.

...Bob Dylan

HAPPY2BME

=====================================

Are you a member of the 'Hispanic' C of C also?

Do you love John McCain also?

You really should endorse both.

McCain to Hispanic Chamber of Commerce: I'll Fight for Amnesty as Long as 'I'm Alive and Breathing'

HAPPY2BME

Think about it (seriously). Why is lobbying government for constitutionally mandated services even necessary? (seriously)

=======================================================

(seriously) some things never change.  We have Reentered the Gilded Age.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Are you a member of the 'Hispanic' C of C also?

Do you love John McCain also?

You really should endorse both.
If we can secure the border and reform immigration so employers can get legally get the labor they need to thrive,  then I'd accept "amnesty" as part of the deal.

Uncompromising bluster is pointless.  If you want to fix the problem, really fix it, then you have to cut a deal.  Amnesty can be part of that deal,  if conservatives get what they want in the areas that matter to them.

That's reality, and the choice we have to make.       
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:10:28 am by Jazzhead »

HAPPY2BME

If we can secure the border and reform immigration so employers can get legally get the labor they need to thrive,  then I'd accept "amnesty" as part of the deal.

Amnesty can be part of that deal,  if conservatives get what they want in the areas that matter to them.

===========================================

Name just three.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Uncompromising bluster is pointless.  If you want to fix the problem, really fix it, then you have to cut a deal.  Amnesty can be part of that deal,  if conservatives get what they want in the areas that matter to them.

That's an interesting take on conservatism.

I don't know if you were aware or not, but we have an overabundance of labor, and an under-abundance of good jobs.  Importing people to undercut native labor isn't something that seems like it would be to our advantage.

Offline EdinVA

If you want to fix the problem, really fix it, then you have to cut a deal.  Amnesty can be part of that deal,

Reagan tried that, did the amnesty thing in exchange for a secure border but we never got the secure border.
The GOPe has proven they do not have what it takes to negotiate with the liberals without caving in.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If you want to fix the problem, really fix it, then you have to cut a deal.  .

Says who? 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
===========================================

Name just three.

Not quite sure whether you want me to recite conservative policy positions or riff about what I'd do if I were pope of this dump.  The latter's more fun.

I guess I'd focus more on the demand side than the supply side.   Building a physical wall, over some 1,200 miles, seems like overkill to me.  After all, more Mexicans these days are going home than coming here.

I'd make it easier for employers to employ workers on the books.  Reduce regulation, reduce benefit mandates, reduce the burden of tax compliance and reporting.   If you can't politically cut the minimum wage,  create a lower-tier wage for young Americans.    Above all, promote economic growth so businesses and creative people have the means to employ those who want to work.   

I liked the old Bracero program in some respects;  workers needed to meet demand, often seasonal,  could come here, work hard, and return home safe in the knowledge they'd be able to return the following season.   Why is that important?  Because most will choose to keep their families at home, where they won't be a burden on social services.   That's a big unintended consequence of "walls".   Make it hard to get in and folks will have a greater incentive to make sure their families follow.   

Immigration policy should be focused on satisfying the needs of U.S. employers for the labor they need.   It should be a dynamic policy,  with the goal of increasing American competitiveness.    Refugee policy is not the same as immigration policy.   We let immigrants in to satisfy labor needs.   When it comes to refugees, we should admit families,  not unattached males.

I'm admittedly unconventional when it comes to tax policy.   I'm one of those trogs who want to see a return of tariffs on imported goods,  apolitical tariffs this time, that tax imported goods objectively on the basis of value added by foreign labor.   Not a tariff set so high as to discourage competition, but that levels the playing field for American workers.   Both parties are largely monolithic in that they favor cheap goods for consumers above all else.     
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:48:14 am by Jazzhead »

HAPPY2BME

Not quite sure whether you want me to recite conservative policy positions or riff about what I'd do if I were pope of this dump.  The latter's more fun.

I guess I'd focus more on the demand side than the supply side.   Building a physical wall, over some 1,200 miles, seems like overkill to me.  After all, more Mexicans these days are going home than coming here.

I'd make it easier for employers to employ workers on the books.  Reduce regulation, reduce benefit mandates, reduce the burden of tax compliance and reporting.   If you can't politically cut the minimum wage,  create a lower-tier wage for young Americans.    Above all, promote economic growth so businesses and creative people have the means to employ those who want to work.   

I liked the old Bracero program in some respects;  workers needed to meet demand, often seasonal,  could come here, work hard, and return home safe in the knowledge they'd be able to return the following season.   Why is that important?  Because most will choose to keep their families at home, where they won't be a burden on social services.   That's a big unintended consequence of "walls".   Make it hard to get in and folks will have a greater incentive to make sure their families follow.   

Immigration policy should be focused on satisfying the needs of U.S. employers for the labor they need.   It should be a dynamic policy,  with the goal of increasing American competitiveness.    Refugee policy is not the same as immigration policy.   We let immigrants in to satisfy labor needs.   When it comes to refugees, we should admit families,  not unattached males.

I'm admittedly unconventional when it comes to tax policy.   I'm one of those trogs who want to see a return of tariffs on imported goods,  apolitical tariffs this time, that tax imported goods objectively on the basis of value added by foreign labor.   Not a tariff set so high as to discourage competition, but that levels the playing field for American workers.   Both parties are largely monolithic in that they favor cheap goods for consumers above all else.     

====================================

See if you can condense that down to three please.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Nikki has been a tea party favorite and is ranked the 12th most conservative governor in the US. I am not ready to throw her overboard or there will not be anyone left to work with in government.
WHAT!?!  You're going to side with a popular Governor who accomplished conservative stuff, over a un-elected, rat donating, emanate domain loving, universal care proposing billionaire, and a radio guy, and a book writer?

Don't you understand that the real problem is successful conservative Governors who fight the fight, instead of squawking inconsistent and contradictory angry gibberish.  Talk to Walker and Perry and get a clue.

WE ARE OUTRAGED AND STUPID AND WE AIN'T GOING AWAY UNTIL WE DESTROY THE GOP!!!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Try this on for size!

http://www.fairtax.org

Be sure to click on the research link!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien