General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Government revises Dietary Guidelines for Americans: Go ahead and have some eggs

(1/3) > >>

mystery-ak:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/07/government-revises-dietary-guidelines-for-americans-go-ahead-and-have-some-eggs/?hpid=hp_no-name_graphic-story-b%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

By Peter Whoriskey January 7

The federal government on Thursday told Americans not to worry so much about cholesterol in their diets, that lots of coffee is fine and that skipping breakfast is no longer considered a health hazard.

The recommendations were part of a new "Dietary Guidelines for Americans," the influential nutrition advice book that, updated every five years, expresses official thinking about what constitutes a nutritious meal.

In what may be the most striking change, the new version drops the strict limit on dietary cholesterol, stepping back from one of most prominent public health messages since the ’60s.

But there were several other notable changes. Salt limits were eased, if only slightly, for many people. Coffee won official approval for the first time, with the book saying that as many as five eight-ounce cups a day is fine. And apparently, skipping breakfast is no longer considered a health hazard: While the old version of Dietary Guidelines informed readers that “not eating breakfast has been associated with excess body weight,” the new version is silent on the topic.

continued

mountaineer:
I've been eating eggs and drinking coffee all along. I knew they'd come around to my way of thinking.

aligncare:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on January 13, 2016, 07:45:08 pm ---I've been eating eggs and drinking coffee all along. I knew they'd come around to my way of thinking.

--- End quote ---

Eggzactly. (Couldn't resist)

alicewonders:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on January 13, 2016, 07:45:08 pm ---I've been eating eggs and drinking coffee all along. I knew they'd come around to my way of thinking.

--- End quote ---

Me too.  There isn't a thing they've warned us about that they haven't had to backtrack on.  It just depends on which special interest group is willing to pay the most kickbacks.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

alicewonders:

--- Quote from: aligncare on January 13, 2016, 07:47:58 pm ---Eggzactly. (Couldn't resist)

--- End quote ---

You're a pretty smart egg ac!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version