Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143195 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #575 on: September 15, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »
@Cripplecreek

Please accept my deepest condolences. Even if you live to be 100, losing your parents is painful beyond description. My heart hurts for you.

Lovely lady, BTW.

It gets easier with time but it still bugs me that her house is dark when I look out my kitchen window at night or head for the door in the morning to head over there for coffee.

It effects the dogs as well. Neener used to spend her nights over there and hang out with Bowser and I during the day. She spent 3 days waiting by the gate. Its been almost two weeks and they still search the house every time we go over there.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #576 on: September 17, 2016, 04:27:23 am »
RIP the man whose novel became Field of Dreams---W.P. Kinsella, who also wrote another splendid baseball novel,
The Iowa Baseball Confederacy

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Canadian novelist W.P. Kinsella, who blended magical realism and baseball in the book that became the smash hit film "Field of Dreams," has died. He was 81.

His literary agent Carolyn Swayze said in a statement that Kinsella's death on Friday in Hope, British Columbia was doctor-assisted. Details about his health were not disclosed. Assisted deaths became legal in Canada in June.

In the 1982 novel "Shoeless Joe," a farmer hears a voice telling him to build a baseball diamond in his corn fields. When he does, Shoeless Joe Jackson and other baseball players of yesteryear come to play. It became the blueprint for the 1989 Oscar-nominated movie, which starred Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones and Ray Liotta.

Key turns of phrases in Kinsella's book -- "If you build it, they will come" and "Go the distance" -- have taken their place in literature's lexicon and among Hollywood's most memorable movie lines.

Kinsella, a bona fide baseball junkie, loved the movie and said he had tears in his eyes when he first saw it.

In 2011 the Canadian baseball Hall of Fame awarded him the Jack Graney Award for a significant contribution to the game of baseball in Canada.

"I wrote it 30 years ago, and the fact that people are still discovering it makes me proud. It looks like it will stand the test of time," Kinsella said at the time.

Scott Crawford, director of operations at the Canadian hall, said he was saddened to learn of the author's death.

"His work has touched the lives of thousands of baseball fans across Canada and around the world," Crawford said in a statement. "His most famous book was the classic `Shoeless Joe,' which inspired one of my favorite movies, `Field of Dreams'."

Much of Kinsella's work touched on baseball. He published almost 30 books of fiction, non-fiction and poetry and won the Order of Canada, one of the country's highest honors.

William Patrick Kinsella was born in Edmonton, Alberta. His father John had played minor league baseball, and the young Kinsella fell for the game playing with friends on sandlots in Edmonton.

He began writing as a child, winning a YMCA contest at age 14.

Kinsella took writing courses at the University of Victoria in 1970, receiving his bachelor of arts in creative writing in 1974. In 1978 he earned a master of fine arts in English through the Iowa Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.

He had been an English professor at the University of Calgary.

Vancouver Writer's Festival founder Alma Lee said Kinsella was a private man with a passion for baseball.

"He was a dedicated story-teller, performer, curmudgeon, an irascible and difficult man," Swayze said in a statement. "His fiction has made people laugh, cry, and think for decades and will do so for decades to come."

Kinsella was married three times. He is survived by two daughters, who the literary agency says cared for him in his final years, and several grandchildren.

Kinsella has asked there be no memorial service.

"If you build it, he will come . . . "

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2016, 11:05:34 am »
Edward Albee died last night. He's famous for writing the play "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf"
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #578 on: September 19, 2016, 01:33:29 am »
RIP Liesl von Trapp from The Sound of Music (the movie) . . .

Charmian Carr, Liesl From 'The Sound of Music,' Dies at 73

Charmian Carr, known for her role as Liesl Von Trapp in The Sound of Music, died Saturday. She was 73.

Carr’s family announced she died in Woodland Hills, Calif., of complications from a rare form of dementia.

Carr was born on Dec. 27, 1942, in Chicago. She was 21 when she sang the popular “I Am Sixteen Going
on Seventeen” as the oldest Von Trapp sister in the Academy Award-winning Sound of Music (1965) starring
Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.

Carr only starred in one other film, appearing opposite Anthony Perkins in Evening Primrose (1966).

After Carr left the movie business, she started a design company called Charmian Carr Design, which attracted
Michael Jackson as a client.

Carr co-authored two books: Forever Liesl (2000), which chronicled her experience filming Sound of Music, and
Letters to Liesl (2001), which was inspired by the thousands of fan letters she received over the years.

Carr is survived by her siblings Sharon, Darleen, Michael, and Brian; daughters Jennifer and Emily; niece Julie;
and grandchildren Emma, Derek, William, and Tucker.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #579 on: September 19, 2016, 01:02:11 pm »
RIP Liesl von Trapp from The Sound of Music (the movie) . . .

Wow.  She is the first member of the Von Trapp family to leave us.

FAR too young.............

RIP, Liesl.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #580 on: September 25, 2016, 11:42:05 am »
Musician Buckwheat Zydeco dies at 68

Stanley Dural, a Louisiana Creole, was the son of an accomplished accordion player, but himself was more of a fan of the newly emerging "rhythm and blues." His first band, the Hitchhikers, played funk music. A chance encounter with Clifton Chenier in 1976 gave Dural his first exposure to zydeco music, to which he was shocked to discover its popularity in Louisiana. He quickly learned the accordion and, after a few years, set up his own band, "Buckwheat Zydeco."

Adapting a number of classic R&B hits to a zydeco beat, Buckwheat Zydeco was treated as a major rock star in the 1980s, recording on major record labels and collaborating with some of the most prominent rock stars of his day. He continued to perform up until the end of his life; he died in his hometown of Lafayette from a combination of lung and throat cancer early in the morning September 24.

Obituary from CNN

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21BSaGfuNM
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #581 on: September 25, 2016, 02:57:11 pm »
Howard E. Butt Jr., oldest son of Texas H-E-B family, dies at 89

Howard E. Butt Jr., the brother of H-E-B Chairman and CEO Charles Butt and the oldest son of the grocery chain’s namesake founder Howard E. Butt Sr., died Sunday at his home in San Antonio due to complications from Parkinson’s disease. He was 89.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of my brother, Howard,” Charles Butt said in a statement. “His decades of inspired leadership, philanthropy and humanitarian efforts will forever be missed by our family and those he impacted across the U.S.”

Howard Butt Jr. is best known to the public as the evangelistic member of Butt family and as the folksy, comforting voice of one-minute radio spots titled, “The High Calling of Our Daily Work.”

He operated the H.E. Butt Foundation, established in 1933 as one of the state’s earliest and largest philanthropic foundations. He also ran Laity Lodge, an ecumenical Christian retreat center in the Hill Country.

Born in Kerrville, Texas, on Sept. 8, 1927, Butt grew up in the grocery business founded by his grandmother, Florence, in 1905. He attended Baylor University in Waco, Texas, graduated in 1947 with a degree in business, and soon afterward married his longtime sweetheart, Barbara Dan Gerber.

Howard Butt Jr. was one of five family members who owns the family fortune, an estate estimated at $11 billion in value by Forbes magazine, similar in size with New York’s Rockefeller family....

He was drawn, however, to the Christian youth movement in the 1940s while attending Baylor University and combined his business career with a second calling as a lay minister preaching at revivals and speaking nationally. The burden was excessive, he has previously said, and differences with his parents over his career path plunged Howard Butt Jr. into a decade-long depression.

“I had been living my whole life with Dad wanting me to be part of the company,” he said in a 1996 interview. Howard Butt Jr. was candid about his depression and eventually sought help, which he said “was very suspect in the whole Texas culture and even more so in the Baptist culture. There were family members that didn’t even know.”

Howard Butt Jr. wrote about his bout with depression in a 1996 book titled, “Renewing America’s Soul: A Spiritual Psychology for Home, Work and Nation.”....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/Howard-E-Butt-Jr-dies-at-89-9217122.php

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:58:31 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #582 on: September 25, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
Has anyone covered Jose Fernandez yet? He pitched for the Florida Marlins.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #583 on: September 25, 2016, 09:44:11 pm »
Has anyone covered Jose Fernandez yet? He pitched for the Florida Marlins.
Pitcher José Fernández dies at 24

Fernández was born in Cuba and was imprisoned three times for attempting to leave the country before successfully fleeing to Mexico, then the United States in 2007. He signed his first professional contract in 2011 and quickly rose through the minor leagues, making it to the major leagues after only 1½ seasons in the minors. During his four-season MLB career, all of it with the Florida Marlins, Fernández appeared in two all-star games and was named Rookie of the Year (as well as being nominated for the Cy Young Award, which he did not win) his first season in the league. His 2016 season was a successful comeback season after two seasons struggling with injuries and various surgeries, again making the All-Star Game.

Fernández was killed after being struck by a boat Sunday morning.

News report from ESPN.com

Wikipedia

Career statistics

Related:
The death of this player is a loss for us all” by Dan Le Batard
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:31:24 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #584 on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:53 am »
Golfing legend Arnold Palmer dies at 87

One of golf's biggest superstars of the 1950s and 1960s, Palmer was professional golf's first millionaire. Palmer won seven major golf tournaments between 1958 and 1965, including the British Open twice (1961 and 1962), at a time when few Americans played that tournament. He continued to have a string of success through 1971 and his career was buoyed by boyish good looks and a marketable persona that earned him a cadre of followers nicknamed "Arnie's Army" and allowed for a rivalry with up-and-comers Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. He moved to the Senior Tour in 1980, giving that circuit instant credibility, and played competitive golf until the mid-2000s (decade).

An avid businessman, Palmer is also known for his iced tea-lemonade concoction, which has been distributed via Arizona Beverage Company for over a decade.

Palmer, a lifelong resident of Latrobe, Pennsylvania, died after years of declining health Sunday.

More to come...

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #585 on: September 26, 2016, 01:35:04 am »
Arnold Palmer was a giant of a man in every possible way!  May he rest in peace!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #586 on: September 26, 2016, 01:36:17 am »
Arnold Palmer was a beloved figure here in Western Pennsylvania.  Every tournament he played received extensive local tv news  coverage. There is a small airport in Latrobe, PA named for him.  Although he was retired, he was still featured in commercials for mostly local businesses in the area.  Palmer will be greatly missed.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #587 on: September 26, 2016, 02:02:45 am »
Arnold Palmer was a beloved figure here in Western Pennsylvania.  Every tournament he played received extensive local tv news  coverage. There is a small airport in Latrobe, PA named for him.  Although he was retired, he was still featured in commercials for mostly local businesses in the area.  Palmer will be greatly missed.

In eastern Ohio where I grew up as well.

RIP, Arnie.  You are a hero, and you will be missed!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #588 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:03 am »
Yes, as a western Pennsylvania native myself, I know how beloved Arnie was in our area. So accessible and down to earth.

KDKA's Facebook post described him as "the only king ever elected by the people."  :beer:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:44:55 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #589 on: September 26, 2016, 12:33:51 pm »

Arnold Palmer dies at 87, made golf popular for masses

Arnold Palmer brought a country club sport to the masses with a hard-charging style, charisma and a commoner's touch. At ease with both presidents and the golfing public, and on a first-name basis with both, "The King" died Sunday in Pittsburgh. He was 87.

Alastair Johnston, CEO of Arnold Palmer Enterprises, confirmed that Palmer died Sunday afternoon of complications from heart problems. Johnston said Palmer was admitted to the UPMC Hospital on Thursday for some cardiovascular work and weakened over the last few days.

"Today marks the passing of an era," said Johnston, Palmer's longtime agent at IMG. "Arnold Palmer's influence, profile and achievements spread far beyond the game of golf. He was an iconic American who treated people with respect and warmth, and built a unique legacy through his ability to engage with fans."

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/arnold-palmer-dies-87-made-golf-popular-masses

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #590 on: September 26, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »
He also revolutionized refreshments....

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #591 on: September 26, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »
In an era when so many octogenarians -- from Joe Paterno to Bill Cosby -- are being cut to size, there remain a few who will always be golden.  Palmer was bigger than life, but lived as though he was just an average guy who got lucky, and that is why everyone loved him.  Long live "The King."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #592 on: September 26, 2016, 01:13:41 pm »
In an era when so many octogenarians -- from Joe Paterno to Bill Cosby -- are being cut to size, there remain a few who will always be golden.  Palmer was bigger than life, but lived as though he was just an average guy who got lucky, and that is why everyone loved him.  Long live "The King."

I think it also helped that he didn't get involved in rapes or covering them up.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #593 on: September 26, 2016, 01:13:56 pm »

:amen:  Rest in peace Arnold!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #594 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
RIP Arnie.

OTOH...

I hope they also retire those awful Pharma commercials that he is in.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #595 on: September 26, 2016, 01:38:13 pm »
Xarelto.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #596 on: September 26, 2016, 03:02:22 pm »
Country Music Hall of Famer Jean Shepard dead at 82

Trailblazer Jean Shepard, a Country Music Hall of Fame member, a member of the Grand Ole Opry for more than 60 years and one of traditional country music’s greatest, feistiest advocates, died Sunday at the age of 82.

“She’s one of those people who opened doors,” Opry announcer and WSM DJ Eddie Stubbs said in late 2015. “There were some she had to push open and some others she had to kick her way through.”

Shepard was a pioneer for women in country music. Her 1956 LP, “Songs of a Love Affair,” featuring songs about a marriage broken up by adultery, was one of the genre's first concept albums, and other gutsy, forthright recordings such as “Act Like a Married Man” helped to pave the way for artists like Loretta Lynn.

Ollie Imogene Shepard was born Nov. 21, 1933 in Pauls Valley, Okla. The daughter of sharecroppers, Shepard — and her nine siblings — grew up singing in the church and was drawn to the music of Jimmie Rodgers and Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. She grew up in a home without electricity or running water. Every year, her parents saved their pennies to afford a new battery for their AM radio. Shortly before her eleventh birthday, the Shepard family moved to Visalia, Calif., about 100 miles north of Bakersfield.

(snip)

In November of 1955, Shepard got the best birthday present a young country singer could ask for when, at 22, she was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry. She was one of three women who were Opry members at that time: the other two were Wells and Minnie Pearl. During the 1950s, she also became a cast member of the program “Ozark Jubilee,” where she met Hawkshaw Hawkins, the man who would become her husband. The two singers toured together and, in November 1960, they married on the stage of a Wichita, Kansas auditorium. In 1961, Shepard gave birth to son Don Robin.

Hawkins died in the March 5, 1963 plane crash that also claimed the lives of Patsy Cline and Cowboy Copas, leaving Shepard a widow, eight months pregnant and raising a toddler. Just weeks after the death of her husband, she gave birth to Harold Franklin Hawkins II. Her fellow Opry members rallied around her, and WSM president Jack DeWitt told her that her job would be waiting when she was ready to return.

(snip)

Throughout her career, Shepard was an outspoken opponent of pop-country music.

“Today’s country is not country, and I’m very adamant about that,” she told The Tennessean in 2015. “I’ll tell anybody who’ll listen, and some of those who don’t want to listen, I’ll tell them anyway. ... Country music today isn't genuine.”

Shepard was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2011. At the press conference announcing that year's inductees, Hall of Famer Brenda Lee said that this induction was “way too long in coming. She busted down the doors.”

On Nov. 21, 2015, the Grand Ole Opry celebrated Shepard’s 60th anniversary as a member; she was the only female member to have reached the six-decade mark. At the time of her death, Shepard was the longest-running member of the Opry, and had appeared on the show into her 80s. She was also a published author, having released her engaging memoir, “Down Through the Years,” in 2014.

Shepard leaves behind Benny Birchfield, her devoted husband of nearly 50 years, three sons and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

More at the link: http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/09/25/country-music-hall-famer-jean-shepard-dead-82/76568704/
Let it burn.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #599 on: September 26, 2016, 03:41:41 pm »
And where would we be without Obama's pronouncement on Arnold's passing.  **nononono*
“With his homemade swing and homespun charm, Arnold Palmer had swagger before we had a name for it,” the president said in a statement released by the White House. “From a humble start working at the local club in his beloved Latrobe, Pennsylvania, to superstardom as the face of golf around the globe, Arnold was the American Dream come to life.”

"Along the way he racked up win after win – but it wasn’t his success that made him King. Arnold’s freewheeling, fearless approach to the game inspired a generation of golfers and, for the first time on TV, enthralled an audience across the world. Sure, we liked that he won seven majors, but we loved that he went for it when he probably should have laid up,” Obama, himself an avid golfer, continued. “That spirit extended beyond the links where he gave freely of himself and poured everything he had into everything he did: from building hospitals to personally responding to countless letters from his fans. And he did it all with a grin that hinted maybe he had one more shot up his sleeve."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org