Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143214 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #625 on: October 06, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »
Or the Muscle Shoals Swampers rhythm section...

Not to mention Booker T. & the MGs and the Funk Brothers (had a few white players) . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #626 on: October 14, 2016, 11:29:29 am »
Yeah but a white boy layin' down a groove for Michael Jackson - that calls for a BLM cultural appropriation riot protest. Especially because that's when Jackson was actually black.  :smokin:
Now, come on. Jackson himself was actually transracial—he came out as white a few years later.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #627 on: October 14, 2016, 11:55:03 am »
King Bhumibol of Thailand dies at 88

(Photo credit: Kremlin press office)

Bhumibol Adulyadej had served as the king of Thailand since 1946; his 70 years as monarch was the longest active reign in the world at the time of his death. While his actual powers varied greatly because of Thailand's notorious instability and periods of military dictatorships, King Bhumibol was nonetheless revered by his people throughout his tenure.

His son will ascend to the throne.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:55:52 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #628 on: October 16, 2016, 03:07:50 am »
Former Jets DE Dennis Byrd killed in Oklahoma highway crash

Dennis Byrd, a former New York Jets defensive end whose career was cut short in 1992 due to a broken neck, was killed in a head-on vehicle collision Saturday near his home in Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol confirmed to ESPN.

Byrd, 50, was pronounced dead at the scene due to massive injuries.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17803790/former-new-york-jets-de-dennis-byrd-killed-oklahoma-car-crash

Rest In Peace, even got a broken neck playing in the NFL.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #629 on: October 16, 2016, 08:49:05 pm »
Dario Fo, playwright, dies age 90: 13th Oct, 2016

The dramatist, director, actor, painter and political provocateur Dario Fo has died aged 90. When Fo was awarded the Nobel prize for literature in 1997, the Swedish committee praised his achievement in reviving the traditions of the giullari – the jester-cum-minstrels of the middle ages who improvised their comedy, jibing at the establishment of the times. His greatest achievement as an actor-author was Mistero Buffo (1969), a reworking of medieval mystery plays, which he performed with masterly skill as a one-man show, making exhilarating use of an onomatopoeic language called grammelot and a mixture of dialects. Other actors have since done their best to emulate him, with varying degrees of success, and his texts will continue to inspire lively theatrical invention.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/oct/13/dario-fo-obituary

Only found out because the missus is watching his funeral.  **nononono*

He wrote much, including two of the best comedy plays every written, in my opinion - "Can't Pay, Won't Pay" and "The Accidental Death of an Anarchist."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #630 on: October 17, 2016, 08:51:54 pm »
George Hamilton IV, 50-year Opry star, dies at age 77

George Hamilton IV, the 50-year "Grand Ole Opry" star known as the "International Ambassador of Country Music," died Wednesday at a Nashville hospital. Mr. Hamilton was 77 and had suffered a heart attack on Saturday.

In a business populated by brash and outlandish stars, Mr. Hamilton traded on subtlety, gentility and decency. In the liner notes of his 1968 RCA album, "The Gentle Country Sound of George Hamilton IV," he wrote of a "quiet, beautiful musical revolution in the world of country music."

For Mr. Hamilton, his 1959 entry into country music was a natural transition. He grew up in North Carolina, listening to "Opry" stars Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Jimmy Dickens and Eddy Arnold. He joined the "Opry" himself in February 1960, and Chet Atkins signed him to RCA Victor as a country artist. He notched his first Top 10 country hit in 1960, with "Before This Day Ends," and repeated that success with "Three Steps to the Phone (Millions of Miles)" and "If You Don't Know I Ain't Gonna Tell You." But his biggest hit came in 1963, with "Abilene," a loping tribute to a Kansas town and a four-week No. 1 country single.

Excerpted, more at the link: http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2014/09/17/george-hamilton-iv-year-opry-star-dies-age/15808327/
Let it burn.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #631 on: October 19, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »
Loved
Abilene. It's part of my vinyl collection, and I've played it a jillion times over the years. Of course, we Texans insist it's about our Abilene.  :laugh:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #632 on: October 24, 2016, 05:28:46 pm »
Singer Bobby Vee dies at 73

Bobby Velline got his break in 1959, after the acts that were going to play at a gig in Moorhead, Minnesota—Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper—died in a plane crash, and he and his band got the call to replace them on short notice. He parlayed this position of infamy into a string of top-40 hits in the 1960s, among the biggest hits being "Take Good Care of My Baby," his lone number-one hit. He stopped producing hits in the late 1960s, but he continued to tour for many years afterward, eventually forming a band with his sons, The Vees.

Vee had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2011.

Obituary from the St. Cloud Times

Wikipedia

Bobby Vee's music video for "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBxo8V6R0tc

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #633 on: October 24, 2016, 06:58:06 pm »
His last top 20 hit, in 1967 . . .

Bobby Vee & the Strangers, "Come Back When You Grow Up"

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #634 on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »
Rest in peace, Bobby Vee.  Saw him in concert back in the 1960s.  Very good show. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #635 on: October 24, 2016, 09:08:55 pm »
Wow.  Alzheimer's at 68.  That's young!

Loved some of Bobby Vee's hits when I was a teenager.

Sad to see him go so young.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #636 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:53 pm »

Loved some of Bobby Vee's hits when I was a teenager.

Sad to see him go so young.

Actually, Alzheimers can strike at a young age (40s). At that age, it's called early onset Alzheimers.  One of my relatives developed the disease at 55. Sad part was she was active and otherwise physically healthy.  Eventually, she couldn't even feed herself.   Put a sandwich in front of her, and she didn't know what to do with it.  Because she was otherwise healthy, she lived 28 years.  But it was no life.   Tragic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:31:48 pm by Applewood »

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #637 on: October 24, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »
Singer Bobby Vee dies at 73

8888crybaby

I loved him. His music holds precious memories for me, and I just loved his little baby face.

I'd like to post the link below ("Run to Him) in a YouTube window, but I don't know how to format it. Can someone teach me how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqMNIsYI4w

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #638 on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:32 pm »
8888crybaby

I loved him. His music holds precious memories for me, and I just loved his little baby face.

I'd like to post the link below ("Run to Him) in a YouTube window, but I don't know how to format it. Can someone teach me how?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqMNIsYI4w

Just take out the "s" in"https".

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #639 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:02 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqMNIsYI4w

OHMYGOSH! Who knew it was so easy?! Thanks, @Sanguine!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #640 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:28 pm »
Actually, Alzheimers can strike at a young age (40s). At that age, it's called early onset Alzheimers.  One of my relatives developed the disease at 55. Sad part was she was active and otherwise physically healthy.  Eventually, she couldn't even feed herself.   Put a sandwich in front of her, and she didn't know what to do with it.  Because she was otherwise healthy, she lived 28 years.  But it was no life.   Tragic.

Horrible disease.  And you're right.  It's no life.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #641 on: October 24, 2016, 10:43:05 pm »
Author Sheri S. Tepper, 87, died October 22, 2016.

Author Sheri S. Tepper, 87, died October 22, 2016. Tepper was a prolific author of SF, best known for her feminist and ecological themes, with major titles including The Gate to Women’s Country (1988) and Grass (1989).

She was born Shirley Stewart Douglas on July 16, 1929 near Littleton CO. She married for the first time at 20 and had two children, but divorced in her late twenties, and spent ten years as a single mother working various jobs, including a clerical position with international relief agency CARE. In the late ’60s she married Gene Tepper. From 1962-86 she worked at Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood in Colorado, eventually rising to executive director. She left that position to become a full-time writer, and for many years ran a guest ranch in Santa Fe NM.

Excerpted, more (including a list of her works) at the source: http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/10/sheri-s-tepper-1929-2016/

I never read any of her stuff, but I remember seeing it on the shelves at the bookstores, especially in the '80s and '90s.
Let it burn.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #642 on: October 24, 2016, 11:01:30 pm »

All too often that's the case. Alzheimer's patients are frequently feeble of mind, yet sound of body. A sad combination.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #643 on: October 25, 2016, 12:06:36 am »
Pete Burns, frontman for Dead or Alive, dies at 57

English singer Pete Burns formed the group Dead or Alive in 1980 and achieved international "one-hit wonder" status with "You Spin Me Round" in 1985. Burns would soon become known as much for his eccentric gender-bending as his music. He was an admitted pansexual and frequently indulged in plastic surgery in middle age.

He suffered from numerous health problems in his 50s and died of a sudden heart attack at 57.

Obituary from People

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #644 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:26 am »
It took my father at 69. My sympathies to Bobby's family.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #645 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:15 am »
Tom Hayden hit room temperature in Colorado.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #646 on: October 25, 2016, 04:51:05 am »

I consider that something akin to taking out the garbage. No tears for that one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #647 on: October 25, 2016, 07:58:00 am »
Another indicator that my life is passing ever so quickly. 8(

Bobby Vee's storied music career involved a who's who of rock 'n' roll heroes, including Buddy Holly, Bob Dylan and the Beatles. Even after his own teen-idol fame and Billboard chart success, though, he famously remained a humble, hardworking Midwesterner who settled into a quiet life in St. Joseph, Minn., with his wife of more than 50 years, Karen.

Vee, 73, died early Monday of complications from Alzheimer's disease. He had been in hospice care at a facility in Rogers, according to family.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-music-legend-bobby-vee-dies-after-alzheimer-s-battle/398202731/#1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuJbHYvR7EQ

@mrclose  Mod1 has merged your thread with obits thread
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:22:55 pm by Mod1 »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #648 on: October 25, 2016, 11:08:56 am »
Horrible disease.  And you're right.  It's no life.....

My brother has often said, "there are worse things than dying".
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #649 on: October 25, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »
Yeah, that's a shame.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org