Author Topic: Ryan unveils sweeping $1.6T deal on government funding, taxes  (Read 8173 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ryan unveils sweeping $1.6T deal on government funding, taxes
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/263374-leaders-clinch-deal-to-push-back-obamacare-taxes

By Scott Wong,Mike Lillis and Alexander Bolton - 12/15/15 09:55 PM EST

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) announced to the House Republican Conference on Tuesday night that leaders have reached a sweeping year-end deal on taxes and funding the government after days of intense negotiations.

The full text of the 2009-page omnibus bill was posted online early Wednesday morning at about 1:30 a.m.

The delayed posting of the omnibus text means that in order to adhere to the so-called "three-day rule," House GOP leaders will have to wait until Friday to hold a vote on the legislation.

Lawmakers had exited a Tuesday night House GOP conference meeting with the expectation of voting Thursday on the spending package. But Ryan is unlikely to want to waive the self-imposed rule less than two months into his speakership on such a massive bill, meaning the vote will likely slip to Friday.

In the meantime, the House and Senate are expected to easily clear another stopgap measure to keep the government funded through Dec. 22. Current funding expires Wednesday night.

Ryan unveiled the details of the agreement while the political world was fixated on the fifth GOP presidential debate in Las Vegas.

He told colleagues that the spending bill will postpone the "Cadillac tax" on expensive healthcare plans and the tax package will place a two-year moratorium on the medical device tax, two critical sources of revenue for ObamaCare.

The Speaker told rank-and-file Republicans that they won more victories in the tax package than in the $1.1 trillion omnibus funding bill, which has been largely stripped of the policy amendments that Republicans wanted, according to a GOP lawmaker in the room.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, said the tax package provides $560 billion through breaks that will no longer expire — and $650 billion in total tax relief — over 10 years.

The text of that bill, which runs more than 200 pages, was posted online just before midnight.

Several lawmakers who heard the presentation said the omnibus includes a two-year delay of the Cadillac tax, something senior officials in the Obama administration opposed.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) made an all-out push for including the Cadillac tax freeze, which is a top priority of labor unions, whose members would be hit especially hard by it.

The deal also includes a five-year extension of tax breaks for wind and solar energy companies, something Democrats wanted.

It extends the 30 percent solar investment tax credit and a credit for solar-powered energy efficient properties for three years before phasing it down the final two.

The deal also extends the wind protection tax credit for two years before phasing it down over three years until the 2022 expiration date.

In exchange, Republicans have secured language in the omnibus that would lift the ban on exporting crude oil from the United States that has been in place since the 1970s.

Ryan emphasized that many popular business tax provisions, including the research and development tax credit and the Section 179 small-business expensing deduction, would be locked into law by the agreement.

Democrats in turn won provisions that would keep the 2009 expansions of the child tax credit, earned income tax credit and American opportunity tax credit for college tuition, all core pieces of President Obama’s stimulus law, on the books indefinitely.

“This evening Republican members were presented an omnibus spending bill and a robust tax extender package that will provide permanent relief to families and job creators,” said AshLee Strong, Ryan’s spokeswoman.

“While not getting everything we wanted, the Speaker noted that both packages include many provisions that Republicans have long fought for,” she said.

The deal also extends the state and local sales tax deduction indefinitely, another one of Reid’s priorities, as well as the deduction for teachers’ out-of-pocket classroom expenses.

It locks in the minimum 9 percent low-income housing tax credit rate floor and the employer wage credit for employees on active military duty.

Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), the third-ranking member of the Senate Democratic leadership, scored a victory with the inclusion of language extending a mass transit tax benefit for the long term. His office estimates it would save riders on the Long Island Rail Road more than $1,300 a year.

Schumer argues mass transit riders should get the same tax benefit as people who commute by car. Under current law, the monthly exclusion for employer-provided parking benefits is $250.

The omnibus also includes a $8.1 billion extension of the healthcare and compensation benefits for rescue workers who responded to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Some conservatives are vowing to vote against the spending bill because it does not include language to halt the administration’s program to resettle Syrian refugees in the United States.

Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said "there's a lot of reason for Republicans to vote for it." But he declined to predict how many Republicans would support it.

"Even when I was the whip I wouldn't tell you the number," he said leaving the closed-door meeting. "Let 'em read through it, and we'll know more tomorrow."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Ryan unveils sweeping $1.6T deal on government funding, taxes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:06 pm »
The deal also includes a five-year extension of tax breaks for wind and solar energy companies, something Democrats wanted.

It extends the 30 percent solar investment tax credit and a credit for solar-powered energy efficient properties for three years before phasing it down the final two.

The deal also extends the wind protection tax credit for two years before phasing it down over three years until the 2022 expiration date.

That sucks big time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:42:56 pm »
Did someone think to ask the Freedom Caucus about this? The best pimp job against the American people in 2015, The Freedom Caucus. :chairbang:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:01:27 am »

Sessions: Omnibus Explains Why ‘Voters Are In Open Rebellion’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBqrWL3h9-g

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:55:24 am »

Damn straight we are. You guys in congress reap bountiful reward from your public office, but you do too little work. I know. Poor you, you're busy.

But, you slackards might get more respect if you went to a normal budgeting process, do a base line budget and stop with the automatic increases.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
Rep. McKinley frustrated with lack of pro-coal language in government funding bill
By Aaron Payne in News | December 16, 2015 at 1:03PM
West Virginia Metro News
WASHINGTON, D.C. — As the U.S. House prepares to vote on a year-end omnibus bill partially intended to fund the government through the upcoming fiscal year, one member of West Virginia’s delegations does not support it.

First District Congressman David McKinley said on Wednesday’s “Talkline” that there isn’t enough in the package legislation to prop up the struggling coal industry.

“We were hoping and intending to use this omnibus legislation as a vehicle to perhaps thwart or roll back some of those concerns so that our coal miners, our families, our businesses could have some certainty.”

His frustrations with the lack of any pro-coal language in the 2,009-page bill handed out early Wednesday morning led to the congressman’s decision to not support it in the current form.

“We don’t have anything on coal ash in here, we don’t have anything on the stream buffer rule that we were promised to have in there, we don’t have anything on that coal miners pension and health care bill that we were working with, we tried to get some riders involving the Clean Power Plan. None of that got into it.”

Negotiations over the bill, which includes the $1.1 trillion stopgap funding measure, have gone on for weeks –a deadline was missed last week, causing the need for a resolution regarding temporary funding– as lawmakers argue over what should and should not be included in the bill.

With so many ideas being tossed into a metaphorical ring to fight for a place in the legislation, McKinley admitted there are some positives, such as the increase in funding for fossil fuel research.

“There are some good things,” he said. “That’s the art of the compromise.”

However, there are not enough positives with the bill in it’s current form for McKinley.

Before the vote on Friday, there is still time for amendments to be offered in a final effort to include items left out previously.

An amendment intended to block the Stream Buffer Rule’s application to underground mines will be offered by McKinley Wednesday.

The rule expands on legislation first enacted back in 1983 by keeping all mining activities 100-feet away from a stream for the purpose of protecting water supplies.

Opponents claim it will eliminate surface mining all together and is unnecessary for underground mines.

“We’re not going to fight the fight on the surface mines, but why would they extend a stream protection on underground mines,” McKinley asked. “Essentially, 300, 400, 500 feet all the way down 1,000 feet below the stream you can’t mine the coal out from underneath that stream? That’s absurd.”

The fate of the omnibus bill is still in the air as representatives work to go through the complete text, and with so much involved, McKinley is not sure it will have bipartisan support.

“I think it’s going to wind up the majority of the members of the House could very well be voting against it, or at least the Republicans,” he said.

The full omnibus bill can be found here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »
Don't you people understand, in order to beat the Democrats, you have to do exactly what the Democrats want done!

(It's true, the GOPe types tell me that all the time).

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 02:40:41 pm »
Damn straight we are. You guys in congress reap bountiful reward from your public office, but you do too little work. I know. Poor you, you're busy.

But, you slackards might get more respect if you went to a normal budgeting process, do a base line budget and stop with the automatic increases.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:57:32 pm »
Read full article at Powerline blog:

Posted on December 16, 2015 by John Hinderaker
The Omnibus Spending Bill Sells Out American Workers

With Republicans in control of both House and Senate, the backroom omnibus spending bill that was unveiled yesterday should have been an opportunity to advance the conservative agenda across a very broad front. No doubt there are a few good aspects to the bill. But, as Paul noted earlier, it strikes a blow against education and against the Constitution by expanding funding for the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.

Even worse are the bill’s provisions on immigration. The American people overwhelmingly oppose adding still more immigration on top of our already-unprecedented levels, but their views don’t seem to matter. The omnibus bill lends credence to the widespread belief that the vicious attack on American workers and American wages represented by out-of-control immigration is the result of a bipartisan conspiracy.  ...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 03:16:56 pm »
White House, Lawmakers Applaud Budget Agreement
December 17, 2015
The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House and lawmakers of both parties grudgingly embraced a massive government-wide budget deal Wednesday combining more than a trillion dollars in year-end spending with hundreds of billions in tax cuts for businesses, families and special interests of every kind. Leaders planned to push it to final passage by week's end and quickly adjourn for the holidays, ending a tumultuous year on Capitol Hill.

The sprawling package will keep federal agencies funded through Sept. 30 of next year, staving off a government shutdown that was to begin next Tuesday at midnight under the latest in a series of short-term spending bills, this one passed by Congress on Wednesday.

"In divided government, you don't get everything you want," new House Speaker Paul Ryan said of the 2,200-page melange of wins and losses for both parties. "I think everybody can point to something that gives them a reason to be in favor of both of these bills."

At the White House, press secretary Josh Earnest sounded a similar note, saying President Barack Obama would sign the package despite elements opposed by the administration. Those include a GOP provision lifting the 40-year-old ban on exporting crude oil from the U.S. and delays and suspensions of several taxes to pay for Obama's health care law

"The president is pleased with the final product, even if it does reflect the kind of compromise that's necessary when you have a Democratic president negotiating with large majorities of Republicans," Earnest said.

Indeed, few ringing endorsements could be heard from either side for the sprawling package.

Despite pledges by Ryan to run a different kind of House after his predecessor, John Boehner, was ousted by conservatives angered over last-minute, dead-of-night compromises with Democrats, the new GOP speaker found himself asking lawmakers to endorse a huge, eleventh-hour deal of his own. It's stuffed with special interest goodies, presents for powerful lawmakers and provisions of obscure origin benefiting everyone from race car owners and many others.

He pledged to do better next year. And most Republican lawmakers appeared happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and say goodbye to a roller coaster of a year that included a near-shutdown of the Homeland Security Department and Boehner's chaotic ouster.

"There's a whole variety of things in there I define as very positive," GOP Rep. Frank Lucas of Oklahoma said after emerging from a closed-door meeting where Ryan pitched the deal. "Let the other side spin it however they want. I think the votes come together to pass it, and I get to go to my mother-in-law's Saturday morning."

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., called the package "a good compromise." But House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., was among those expressing outright opposition, arguing that the package of tax breaks estimated to cost $680 billion over the next decade was too heavily weighted toward corporations and "practically an immorality."

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:09 pm »
As long as Republicans fear being blamed falsely by Democrats for "shutting down the government", they will never dare vote the actual interests and policy preferences of their own constituents. The only surprise is that Obama will this time not veto a budget because it contains one single element with which he disagrees. I suppose Paul Ryan deserves credit for that achievement.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 04:11:09 pm »
Anyone want to explain the difference between the RINOS and DEMS? Come on you TRUMP haters you can answer that question? Lets vote more politicians of the RINOGOPe in so we can keep this going
Wonder why TRUMP has 41%???? :chairbang:

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/12/17/nothing-good-ever-comes-from-congress-at-200am/#more-109859

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/16/paul-ryan-betrays-america-1-1-trillion-2000-plus-page-omnibus-bill-funds-fundamental-transformation-america/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:38:09 pm by Longiron »

Offline Carling

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 04:53:45 pm »
Ryan and the GOPe just gave us GOP primary voters a huge middle finger.

Screw 'em.  I'm done with them, and will be changing my voting status to Independent after the Oregon primary. We may as well have Democrats in control of congress.

I'll write in Cruz if it's Jeb, Rubio, Kasich, or another establishment elitist as the nominee.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:54:29 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
Anyone want to explain the difference between the RINOS and DEMS? Come on you TRUMP haters you can answer that question? Lets vote more politicians of the RINOGOPe in so we can keep this going
Wonder why TRUMP has 41%???? :chairbang:

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/12/17/nothing-good-ever-comes-from-congress-at-200am/#more-109859

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/16/paul-ryan-betrays-america-1-1-trillion-2000-plus-page-omnibus-bill-funds-fundamental-transformation-america/

Here's how they explain it:

You have to win to get control. So, you do what the Democrats want, so you look nice and cooperative in order to win. Then when you win, you do what the Democrats want, so you can keep winning.

The part I don't understand is, at what point do they actually do what conservatives want? I guess it's when the GOP holds all 435 seats in the House, all 100 seats in the Senate, and the White House. That must be the point where they actually consider a conservative agenda.

Offline Carling

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »
Those include a GOP provision lifting the 40-year-old ban on exporting crude oil from the U.S. and delays and suspensions of several taxes to pay for Obama's health care law.

Is there any doubt now that the GOPe would rather have HRC as President instead of Trump or Cruz?

Those tax hikes were going to be a huge campaign issue, and now they're punted down the road as we go further into debt.  America took a big hit today, and we can thank the establishment Republicans for it.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Relic

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »
Ryan and the GOPe just gave us GOP primary voters a huge middle finger.

Screw 'em.  I'm done with them, and will be changing my voting status to Independent after the Oregon primary. We may as well have Democrats in control of congress.

I'll write in Cruz if it's Jeb, Rubio, Kasich, or another establishment elitist as the nominee.

There was much concern on the part of conservatives about Ryan before he got the speakership.
Ryan is proving that concern was valid.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 05:19:07 pm »
Is there any doubt now that the GOPe would rather have HRC as President instead of Trump or Cruz?

Those tax hikes were going to be a huge campaign issue, and now they're punted down the road as we go further into debt.  America took a big hit today, and we can thank the establishment Republicans for it.

So you'd rather have the tax increases just so you can have an issue?  Doesn't sound very conservative to me.  A conservative is ALWAYS for tax cuts.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 05:25:04 pm »
So you'd rather have the tax increases just so you can have an issue?  Doesn't sound very conservative to me.  A conservative is ALWAYS for tax cuts.

How long will you continue to defend the indefensible Sink?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 05:28:11 pm »

And hands the GOP nomination to Trump by failing to fight for even 1 single thing the GOP voter base wants done.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 05:29:49 pm »

So you'd rather have tax increases too.  How strange that a conservative would take such a position.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »

Say Sink

Just want is "conservative" about leaving in place the Obama care spending but removing the taxes that pays for that spending? Are you saying Deficit Spending is a "conservative" principal?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »
So you'd rather have tax increases too.  How strange that a conservative would take such a position.

I would rather have the House of Representatives act in the interests of those whom they supposedly work for instead of their Chamber of Commerce masters!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:33:13 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »
Say Sink

Just want is "conservative" about leaving in place the Obama care spending but removing the taxes that pays for that spending? Are you saying Deficit Spending is a "conservative" principal?

Especially in view of the fact that every last one of the LIARS promised to "repeal every last word of Obamacare" if we put them in the majority!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »
Ryan is worse than Boehner not surprisingly, even though Boehner was wretchedly bad.  The GOP needs a complete and thorough revolution and it looks like its coming and hell is coming too.