Author Topic: Trump has supported nearly all of Obama’s economic policy agenda  (Read 5354 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In July, Donald Trump made a statement about the 2008 financial crisis that left many conservatives perplexed:

“I identify with some things as a Democrat…I was never a Bush fan. [When] the economy crashed so horribly under George Bush, because of mistakes they made having to do with banking and lots of other things, I don’t think the Democrats would have done that.”

Now to be sure, there is plenty of blame to be spread around. Both parties in Congress, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Wall Street, the Federal Reserve, and even the American public all contributed to the crisis.

But if Trump thinks that the Democrats were not to blame, well, I will refer him to Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

Trump’s statement prompted me to research what he thought about the economy-and proposals to fix it-during the end of Bush’s term and the beginning of Obama’s term (of which he had high hopes):

We have a young, vibrant, smart president who, I think, is going to do a really good job.

And, honestly, he has to do a really good job or this country maybe will never be the same. We had eight years of a horrendous president, a terrible president. You cannot get worse than Bush. And I really believe that Obama will be a great president, and I hope he is.

Anyway, I found out that Donald Trump supported the bank bailouts.

“Now, I did not know about a $700 billion bailout, in all fairness. And I think probably, it is something — it’s sad, but, probably, it’s something that has to get done, because your financial system is most likely going to come to a halt if it does not. So, it is a pretty sad day for this country.”

And the auto bailouts:

..very long, cited list at link- http://www.redstate.com/diary/southernconstitutionalist/2015/08/27/trump-supported-nearly-obamas-economic-policy-agenda/

Offline musiclady

Re: Trump has supported nearly all of Obama’s economic policy agenda
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »
And, honestly, he has to do a really good job or this country maybe will never be the same. We had eight years of a horrendous president, a terrible president. You cannot get worse than Bush. And I really believe that Obama will be a great president, and I hope he is.

This quote alone is enough to make any serious person doubt Donald Trump's authenticity.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »

Serious question about Trump. With such a crowded GOP field, and given that Trump is (according to some) a democrat, and given the weakness in the democrat field - a criminal, a communist, and three nobodies, why did Trump (who's really a democrat, after all) choose to enter the Republican primary race, instead of the democrat primary?

Anyone from the "Trump is disgusting" crowd willing to venture an answer?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 03:02:00 pm »
Serious question about Trump. With such a crowded GOP field, and given that Trump is (according to some) a democrat, and given the weakness in the democrat field - a criminal, a communist, and three nobodies, why did Trump (who's really a democrat, after all) choose to enter the Republican primary race, instead of the democrat primary?

Because he doesn't really WANT to be president!  He just wants to make sure Hillary is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 03:03:07 pm »
Because he doesn't really WANT to be president!  He just wants to make sure Hillary is!

Now, are there any serious answers out there?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 03:05:27 pm »

Just for the heck of it would you be kind enough to tell me why you think mine isn't serious?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 03:09:41 pm »
Just for the heck of it would you be kind enough to tell me why you think mine isn't serious?

I love you Bigun, but that's not the answer. And if you think it is the answer, what proof (or any evidence, for that matter) do you have for making that claim?

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 03:13:38 pm »

Electoral and media momentum.  He is smart enough to see where the feelings of the country are moving and he stays ahead of that like all pop culture savvy figures. You can see it with his other shifts. When Perot was popular, he was on the Reform Party bandwagon. When Obama was being fellaciated by the media, he was a dem and praising him. Always with the pop culture momentum. Also, conservative books sell like hotcakes now while liberal ones dont.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 03:15:34 pm »

Bingo
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
I love you Bigun, but that's not the answer. And if you think it is the answer, what proof (or any evidence, for that matter) do you have for making that claim?

I have said from day one that TRump is nothing more than a stalking horse for Hillary and nothing has happened that would change my mind!  I KNOW how thesr people operate!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 03:18:59 pm »
Interesting. Some merit there.

One thing though, Trump has been writing books since 1987, since before conservative books have been in vogue, and he has written dozens since then.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »
I have said from day one that TRump is nothing more than a stalking horse for Hillary and nothing has happened that would change my mind!  I KNOW how thesr people operate!

In other words, no evidence, no proof.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »

He saw a "hole" in the Republican party; disgruntled Republican voters who have had enough of Obama policy and voted to give the GOP the majority in Congress and now realize that the GOPe isn't doing what they promised.  He saw an opportunity and ran with it and so far has been very successful.    IF he goes back on his promise and runs third party, he will indeed hand Hillary the White House. He seems like a patriot, he has certainly been very vocal about illegal immigration, but he's also donated to the Democrats including Clinton. IMHO, regardless of what he's said about Obama in his "Democrat" days, I genuinely think he sees Obama as a complete failure as a president and with Trump's ego, feels he can do better. I don't see Trump as a conservative so much, but I do believe his intent is to do what he feels will make this country great again.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:24:30 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 03:22:07 pm »
In other words, no evidence, no proof.

None beyond his own words, actions, and associations over time.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »
He saw a "hole" in the Republican party; disgruntled Republican voters who have had enough of Obama policy and voted to give the GOP the majority in Congress and now realize that the GOPe isn't doing what they promised.  He saw an opportunity and ran with it and so far has been very successful.    IF he goes back on his promise and runs third party, he will indeed hand Hillary the White House. He seems like a patriot, he has certainly been very vocal about illegal immigration, but he's also donated to the Democrats including Clinton. IMHO, regardless of what he's said about Obama in his "Democrat" days, I genuinely think he sees Obama as a complete failure as a president and with Trump's ego, feels he can do better.

I don't think HE saw anything but his buddy Bill Clintoon did!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »
He saw a "hole" in the Republican party; disgruntled Republican voters who have had enough of Obama policy and voted to give the GOP the majority in Congress and now realize that the GOPe isn't doing what they promised.  He saw an opportunity and ran with it and so far has been very successful.    IF he goes back on his promise and runs third party, he will indeed hand Hillary the White House. He seems like a patriot, he has certainly been very vocal about illegal immigration, but he's also donated to the Democrats including Clinton. IMHO, regardless of what he's said about Obama in his "Democrat" days, I genuinely think he sees Obama as a complete failure as a president and with Trump's ego, feels he can do better. I don't see Trump as a conservative so much, but I do believe his intent is to do what he feels will make this country great again.

Every businessman who wants to succeed in Manhattan donates to Democrats (and Republicans – regardless of their personal party affiliation).

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »
Every businessman who wants to succeed in Manhattan donates to Democrats (and Republicans – regardless of their personal party affiliation).

If you are willing to bet the future of this once great republic on Donald TRump then so be it You are free to do so.  I will not!  To me it's like playing russian roulette with a pistol that someone has already pulled the trigger on 4 times before I got it!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:40:41 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »

You are going places that most will never understand. Thanks for the effort. Trying to get the TRUMP haters to understand the Globalists financing vs main street and the effect it has on our country and many of them personally and that TRUMP knows the problem is way beyond comprehension of their ability. TRUMP has been running 3rd party since he entered the race and they are worried he will split the PUBBIE vote. Lets talk about the social issue of cross gender bathrooms, trans gender women of the year you know all the important stuff???. They get that !!  :chairbang:

Offline ABX

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 03:44:37 pm »

He has done more than donate but provide vocal and physical support to their policies. So with that being said, based on his history, what is preventing him from changing his position on everything he supports now because he finds a different position personally advantageous at the time? Remember most billionaires like him actually support Democrat economic policies because it is easier to profit from something that is centrally controlled versus having to compete in the open market.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
And at least we are having this conversation on a thread that has the name TRUMP in the title!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 03:50:42 pm »
Thank you!

Besides I saw somewhere that he did get a phone call from Bill Clinton.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 03:59:25 pm »
Take into account the source article.  It's from RedState who disinvited Donald Trump at the last minute from its conference.   

So as rational, reasonable members, let's not shoot the messenger (Trump) but focus on his message. Can your candidate, who ever that may be , organize the support to carry out a revolt against the establishment and force the bribe takers out of power?

If they can't do it now, they won't be able to do anything once they are in debt to the establishment.  And the destruction of our Republic continues.

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 05:53:57 pm »
Interesting. Some merit there.

One thing though, Trump has been writing books since 1987, since before conservative books have been in vogue, and he has written dozens since then.

Most of his books have been business books (technically, more like motivation, ra ra type books), not political. His last political book, The America We Deserve in 2000 took a very populist, down the middle bent to it and had a lot of very liberal positions on issues (documented on many threads here), reflecting the 50/50  split in the country we saw at the time (later reflected in the Bush v Gore race).  That actually reinforces the point I was making about simply positioning himself ahead of cultural/pop trends, not actually reflecting true held values.

Even with his business books, you can see the same positioning ahead of pop culture trends.  In the 80s, The Art of the Deal came in line with the M&A boom and deal making was the rage. Later, in the 90s, How to Get Rich focused on start ups and capital acquisition right as that was booming in the newly emerging internet venture capital boom. In the mid-2000s he went to town writing books (ok, putting his name on books others wrote) all about 'thinking big' and 'think your way to riches' at the time when The Secret, What the Bleep, and other believe your way to prosperity programs were taking off.

It is all positioning, and as soon as the tide turns on an issue, he'll take a different position as he always has.

Offline ABX

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 05:55:05 pm »
Take into account the source article.  It's from RedState who disinvited Donald Trump at the last minute from its conference.   

So as rational, reasonable members, let's not shoot the messenger (Trump) but focus on his message. Can your candidate, who ever that may be , organize the support to carry out a revolt against the establishment and force the bribe takers out of power?

If they can't do it now, they won't be able to do anything once they are in debt to the establishment.  And the destruction of our Republic continues.

The source is about 75% verbatim so one can simply ignore all of the Red State editorializing and read the parenthetical quotes and the topic doesn't change.