Author Topic: Paul Singer, Influential Billionaire, Throws Support to Marco Rubio for President  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

One of the wealthiest and most influential Republican donors in the country is throwing his support to Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, a decision that could swing millions of dollars in contributions behind Mr. Rubio at a critical point in the Republican nominating battle.

The decision by the donor, Paul Singer, a billionaire New York investor, is a signal victory for Mr. Rubio in his battle with his rival Jeb Bush for the affections of major Republican patrons and the party’s business wing.

It comes as a major blow to Mr. Bush, who is seeing his once vigorous campaign imperiled by doubts among supporters, and whose early dominance of the race was driven by his financial muscle. Mr. Bush and several other candidates, including Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, had competed fiercely for Mr. Singer’s blessing.

In a letter that Mr. Singer sent to dozens of other donors on Friday, which was obtained by The New York Times, Mr. Singer described Mr. Rubio — who was elected to the Senate in the Tea Party wave but has been embraced by the party’s Washington elite — as the only candidate who can “navigate this complex primary process, and still be in a position to defeat” Hillary Rodham Clinton in a general election.

He praised Mr. Rubio’s message of optimism about America’s future, his work on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and his ability to make a persuasive case to voters as key reasons to support him.

“He is accustomed to thinking about American foreign policy as a responsible policy maker,” Mr. Singer wrote. “He is ready to be an informed and assertive decision-maker.”

Alex Conant, a spokesman for Mr. Rubio, welcomed the endorsement, adding, “We know we have a lot of work to do before Marco wins the nomination, but clearly this moves us in the right direction.”

Mr. Singer, who gave more money to Republican candidates and causes last year than any donor in the country, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, is courted by Republicans both for the depth of his own pockets and for his wide network of other conservative givers. He is known for his caution and careful vetting of candidates and, while passionately pro-Israel and a supporter of same-sex marriage, he is generally viewed as a donor who does not believe in litmus tests.

In recent years, he has frequently deployed his network to cultivate up-and-coming Republicans who he believes can help expand the party’s demographic appeal. Among them are Representative Elise Stefanik of New York, the youngest woman ever elected to Congress, and Mr. Rubio himself, whom Mr. Singer backed early in his 2010 race when many of Mr. Singer’s peers sided with Charlie Crist, then Florida’s Republican governor — a moment that was seen as a turning point in the race.

The battle for Mr. Singer’s support — which included months of behind-the-scenes lobbying by aides and appearances by candidates over the last year at dinners and breakfasts convened by Mr. Singer — underscores the growing clout of big donors in presidential elections, particularly this year, when “super PACs,” and the wealthy donors who finance them, have moved to the center of the race.

But Mr. Singer provides something that some other coveted Republican donors do not. Unlike Sheldon Adelson, a fellow Republican billionaire and Israel supporter, Mr. Singer is an assiduous and effective “bundler” for candidates: In the 2012 campaign, he raised more than $3 million to try to help elect Mitt Romney, the eventual Republican nominee. Many other donors, particular in the New York financial world, turn to Mr. Singer’s political advisers for strategic guidance on their own donations.

And Mr. Rubio, who struggled to raise campaign cash over the summer and has relied heavily on outside groups to pay for advertisements promoting him, needs their help.

Both Mr. Rubio and Mr. Bush eagerly sought Mr. Singer’s backing, as did Mr. Christie, and all three have ties to the wealthy hedge fund manager.

Mr. Rubio has aggressively embraced the cause of wealthy pro-Israel donors like Mr. Adelson, whom the senator is said to call frequently, and Mr. Singer, who both serve on the board of the Republican Jewish Coalition, an umbrella group for Republican Jewish donors and officials. Mr. Bush has been less attentive, in the view of some of these donors: Last spring, he refused to freeze out his longtime family friend James A. Baker III, the former secretary of state, after Mr. Baker spoke at the conference of a liberal Jewish group.

The lobbying of Mr. Singer intensified in recent weeks as Mr. Bush’s debate stumbles and declining poll numbers drove many donors to consider Mr. Rubio anew. Last week, Mr. Bush’s campaign manager, Danny Diaz, and senior adviser, Sally Bradshaw, flew to New York to make personal appeals on Mr. Bush’s behalf, in the hopes of heading off an endorsement of Mr. Rubio, according to two people close to the former governor’s campaign.

But Mr. Singer had been leaning toward Mr. Rubio, and there was no single moment that convinced him, these people said. It was time to make his support known. Mr. Singer, according to people familiar with his thinking leading up to the endorsement, takes his time weighing an endorsement in presidential races, after making an early commitment to Rudolph W. Giuliani in the 2008 race and seeing his candidate falter.

In his letter to his donor network, Mr. Singer described Mr. Rubio as “the best explainer of conservatism in public life today, and one of the best communicators the modern Republican Party has seen. Marco Rubio can appeal to both the head and the heart.”

Of the roughly 1,200 people who raised money or hosted fund-raising events for Mr. Romney in 2012, according to a New York Times analysis, about two-thirds had yet to give a donation to any of the Republican candidates through the end of September, the most recent disclosures available from the Federal Election Commission.

Mr. Bush and Mr. Rubio have competed fiercely in the money race, targeting many of the same donors and bundlers, especially in Florida, where Mr. Rubio serves as senator and Mr. Bush was governor. Some Bush donors said privately that they originally joined Mr. Bush’s operation out of respect for and loyalty to the former Florida governor, despite a belief that Mr. Rubio might have been the party’s better bet. Now they are expressing concern about Mr. Bush’s attacks on Mr. Rubio, saying Mr. Bush’s direct swipe during the debate at Mr. Rubio’s character and credibility was dangerous for both men.

Mr. Bush’s stilted debate performances have set off a new round of jockeying as Mr. Rubio’s supporters seek to lure some Bush backers to their camp. Several people involved in Mr. Rubio’s fund-raising said they had been fielding calls from Bush donors since Wednesday’s debate, suggesting they were rethinking their decision.

“I don’t know if you’ll get a tsunami of people immediately, because these are good people, and they are loyal,” said Jonathan Burkan, a New York financial executive who is supporting Mr. Rubio. “But you’ll get some people.”

Among Mr. Bush’s supporters after the debate, the tone was often one of despair, but it was rarely projected in public comments. Several of them said they took heart that Mr. Bush had acknowledged that he needed to be a more artful political performer in the weeks ahead.

In a telephone interview, the donor and former ambassador under Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, Mel Sembler, said that the super PAC supporting Mr. Bush, Right to Rise, is holding strong with Florida supporters.

But will people outside Florida decamp from Mr. Bush’s side? “I hope not,” he replied.

Offline mountaineer

link?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Surprise his new donor is for open borders?  :chairbang:

http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/10/31/marco-rubios-new-billionaire-backer-top-funder-open-borders/

Marco Rubio is not for 'open borders.'

If you want to be taken seriously, tell the truth.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Sorry but he has been all over the map on this and any number of other issues important to me and I have a very long memory!

I'll vote for him if he get's the nomination but only then!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

Read the post again, please before embarassing youself. RUBIO will say anything one wants him to say now in a election. IF ever elected the flood gates will open up to illegai invaders. The DONAR is for open borders nothng said about RUBIO. However if you think RUBIO is not a open border guy their is this bridge for sell in NYC, CHEAP we should talk about. TRUMP holds the mortage??  Sorry, but you cannot handle the TRUTH about RUBIO :silly:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:25:30 pm by Longiron »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I like Cruz, a lot.  But I don't see him winning "crossover" votes should he make it to the general election. 

Besides, I'd sleep well knowing Cruz was sitting on the Supreme Court--a better fit for his convictions.

Offline sinkspur

Read the post again, please before embarassing youself. RUBIO will say anything one wants him to say now in a election. IF ever elected the flood gates will open up to illegai invaders. The DONAR is for open borders nothng said about RUBIO. However if you think RUBIO is not a open border guy their is this bridge for sell in NYC, CHEAP we should talk about. TRUMP holds the mortage??  Sorry, but you cannot handle the TRUTH about RUBIO :silly:

And you support a guy who was for partial-birth abortion until the day before yesterday.

You don't believe Rubio but you believe Trump?  That's a real hoot!!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

Sorry but he has been all over the map on this and any number of other issues important to me and I have a very long memory!

I'll vote for him if he get's the nomination but only then!

I know he's been all over the map, but he has never been for open borders.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

This is a completely irrational post.  I will continue with my policy of gliding over your posts.

You don't tell the truth.

Offline musiclady

And you support a guy who was for partial-birth abortion until the day before yesterday.

You don't believe Rubio but you believe Trump?  That's a real hoot!!!

Indeed.

The most hypocritical, flip-flopping, disingenuous candidate running is Donald Trump.

But I'll tell you what I think, sinkspur......... Trump came down hard on illegal immigration JUST to get the support of non-discriminating, non-thinking 'conservatives.'  He has their undying devotion.  The truth about him doesn't faze them.

Offline sinkspur

Indeed.

The most hypocritical, flip-flopping, disingenuous candidate running is Donald Trump.

But I'll tell you what I think, sinkspur......... Trump came down hard on illegal immigration JUST to get the support of non-discriminating, non-thinking 'conservatives.'  He has their undying devotion.  The truth about him doesn't faze them.

Exactly.  Very few who think through what Trump says he plans to do on illegal immigration believe he will really do it; it's just boob bait for bubbas.

Offline musiclady

Exactly.  Very few who think through what Trump says he plans to do on illegal immigration believe he will really do it; it's just boob bait for bubbas.

The operative words being "think through".........

Offline Longiron

This is a completely irrational post.  I will continue with my policy of gliding over your posts.

You don't tell the truth.

Irrational? What is irrational about The donor supporting open boders. Again, you cannot handle the TRUTH about RUBIO. Another thing TRUMP is going to have to be beat by another candidate, THE RINOGOP, Media, DEMS, TRUMP haters, Pundits, thus far none of the candidate cannot take him out for a very simple reason: He connects with the AMERICAN people. Keep gliding over my posts but  YOU still cannot handle the TRUTH. If RUBIO is your guy, GREAT but tell us how great he is by any example BUT don't bash TRUMP when you cannot state anything about RUBIO to challenge. Maybe you might want to start with RUBIOS work ethic and he has proven he cannot even handle his own personal finances and yet you think he can handle the countr'y finances. COMPARE that to TRUMP who built a little company worth about 10 BILLION+. Who can handle the money better RUBIO? :silly:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:00:15 pm by Longiron »

Offline mountaineer

Having run for office, I certainly hope the sins, character flaws and every particular policy position of my donors were not attributed to me. I've also  given money to candidates with whom I didn't agree 100% on every single issue (Rudy comes to mind).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The operative words being "think through".........

Don't particularly care what Donald Trump says about dealing with the millions of illegals. 

Am a lot of things, but naive is not one of them.  I expect him to at the very least, secure the Southern border and SLAM and LOCK the door allowing LEGAL immigrants entering our country until we get rid of every Democrat/Leftist working in Immigration Control Enforcement (ICE)

I'll let everybody else get all twisted arguing over a candidate's conservative pedigree...because my focus is picking the one that has the best chance of defeating the Democrat next November.   Especially, if it's Hillary Clinton.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't particularly care what Donald Trump says about dealing with the millions of illegals. 

Am a lot of things, but naive is not one of them.  I expect him to at the very least, secure the Southern border and SLAM and LOCK the door allowing LEGAL immigrants entering our country until we get rid of every Democrat/Leftist working in Immigration Control Enforcement (ICE)

I'll let everybody else get all twisted arguing over a candidate's conservative pedigree...because my focus is picking the one that has the best chance of defeating the Democrat next November.   Especially, if it's Hillary Clinton.

That's the cold hard truth of it.  It's not good if you get the candidate you most agree with if he can't win in the general election. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

Irrational? What is irrational about The donor supporting open boders. Again, you cannot handle the TRUTH about RUBIO. Another thing TRUMP is going to have to be beat by another candidate, THE RINOGOP, Media, DEMS, TRUMP haters, Pundits, thus far none of the candidate cannot take him out for a very simple reason: He connects with the AMERICAN people. Keep gliding over my posts but  YOU still cannot handle the TRUTH. If RUBIO is your guy, GREAT but tell us how great he is by any example BUT don't bash TRUMP when you cannot state anything about RUBIO to challenge. Maybe you might want to start with RUBIOS work ethic and he has proven he cannot even handle his own personal finances and yet you think he can handle the countr'y finances. COMPARE that to TRUMP who built a little company worth about 10 BILLION+. Who can handle the money better RUBIO? :silly:

Trump's companies have declared bankruptcy four times.   Dumb decisions lead to bankruptcy.  So Trump was dumb, business-wise, at least four times and probably more.

Rubio works harder at his job than Trump does at his, especially lately. Trump's always on television or on the stump or being interviewed. 

Rubio didn't get (as Trump put it) "a measly million dollar starting stake" as Trump did.  He's had to work like the rest of us.  And he'll garner more empathy from most voters than Trump will, with his "I'm really really wealthy" schtick.  I notice he doesn't say that much anymore.

In no way is Trump worth $10 billion; at most, experts say it's closer to $3 billion.  Still big money, but exaggerated, like most of what Trump says.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Trump's companies have declared bankruptcy four times.   Dumb decisions lead to bankruptcy.  So Trump was dumb, business-wise, at least four times and probably more.

Rubio works harder at his job than Trump does at his, especially lately. Trump's always on television or on the stump or being interviewed. 

Rubio didn't get (as Trump put it) "a measly million dollar starting stake" as Trump did.  He's had to work like the rest of us.  And he'll garner more empathy from most voters than Trump will, with his "I'm really really wealthy" schtick.  I notice he doesn't say that much anymore.

In no way is Trump worth $10 billion; at most, experts say it's closer to $3 billion.  Still big money, but exaggerated, like most of what Trump says.

All developers leverage themselves to a degree.  Doesn't matter what your "net worth" happens to be.  The smart ones know how to protect themselves.

When you are in the middle of a large project as a developer, you are subject to and left exposed if the markets (interest rates) change and are not in your favor.

Bankruptcy laws are LAWS that protect consumers, both large and small.   And huge.

He availed himself to existing LAWS.

Get over it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

All developers leverage themselves to a degree.  Doesn't matter what your "net worth" happens to be.  The smart ones know how to protect themselves.

When you are in the middle of a large project as a developer, you are subject to and left exposed if the markets (interest rates) change and are not in your favor.

Bankruptcy laws are LAWS that protect consumers, both large and small.   And huge.

Get over it.

I've been in the business world for 40 years, observed lots of companies, big and small.  95% of them never declare bankruptcy or even come close.  So, I think it's hilarious that Trump is trying to turn what amounts to failure into some kind of success.  He's successful now (though not to the extent he says he is) but he wasn't always and he DID get a nice stake from his daddy when he started.

I notice Trump's on a tear today on Twitter against Rubio.  He knows Rubio is his closest competitor and he's right to be worried about him.

Oceander

Get over it.

Nice No Good Scotsman fallacy.

If Trump were quite as good at business as some paint him out to be, then none of his projects would have gone bankrupt.  The mere fact that the bankruptcy laws exist and can be utilized does not mean that he who utilizes them has exercised good business judgment.  Far from it; the laws exist to protect those who were both unlucky and unwise.

The only ones the laws are not intended to protect are those who commit active fraud.  So you are effectively saying something along the lines of "well, at least Trump didn't commit active fraud even though his projects went belly up."  There's a term for that:  damning with faint praise.

Offline musiclady

I haven't seen you cite any "truth" about Rubio.  It's hilarious that you think I "can't handle" the truth about him, when you've gone off the deep end with silly assumptions about my support for Rubio.

Why don't you stay in the style of TOS and call me  a "Rubiobot?" 

It would make every bit as much sense as the drivel you've posted here.

Rubio is NOT for "open borders."  That is a plain and simple fact.  Whether I agree or disagree with him on any of his multiple positions on immigration, it is not helpful for people to say things that are simply not factual about him.

And the fact that one of his donors has an immigration policy I don't agree with has no relevance to the truth about Rubio.

(For the record, I'm still looking seriously at 4 or 5 candidates, of which Rubio is only one.  Since I haven't hitched my wagon to one candidate, I'm a tad more objective than poor Longiron here).

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I don't know about you guys, but I take all my political cues from billionaire, pro-amnesty hedge fund managers.  When one of them tells me how to vote, I listen.  And usually vote the opposite way.