Author Topic: 'Merry Christmas,' Trump declares  (Read 9627 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
'Merry Christmas,' Trump declares
« on: October 23, 2015, 02:07:29 am »
Tell me he isn't just pandering.... this is straight out of Orwell.

...Playing to a crowd of evangelical voters Wednesday, Trump promised to throw religious political correctness out the White House window if he becomes president.

"I'm a good Christian, remember that, and I told you about Christmas. And I guarantee if I become president we're going to be saying 'Merry Christmas' at every store," Trump said. "The 'happy holiday,' you can leave that over in the corner."....

http://www.kltv.com/story/30326932/merry-christmas-trump-declares?clienttype=generic

Offline ABX

Re: 'Merry Christmas,' Trump declares
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:59 am »
Political Correctness- Forcing the change of speech or action to not offend a party or group.

Exactly what Trump is calling for.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:12:25 am »
Do truly good Christians describe themselves as such? Or would they say they're not worthy of
 God's amazing grace?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 02:21:38 am »
Political Correctness- Forcing the change of speech or action to not offend a party or group.

So let me get this straight, a President Trump is going to demand that every store say Merry Christmas and how is he going to do it??? Also what will be the penalty if the someone doesn't say Merry Christmas??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 02:25:52 am »

Yes, he is! And it feels so gooood... :silly:  :smokin:

^-^

Psssst, I think his Hairness may let you continue saying Happy Holidays if you like.

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 02:28:51 am »
Do truly good Christians describe themselves as such? Or would they say they're not worthy of
 God's amazing grace?

You are talking about a guy who said a short while back he has nothing to ask God for forgiveness for.
I'm drawing a blank (St. Mattress by the Springs doesn't have mandatory Bible memorization), but isn't there a verse somehow around about calling evil, good?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 02:30:35 am »
Trump will get rid of the mosques, and force businesses to recognize Christ...just like constitutional conservatives want.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:35:49 am »
Trump will get rid of the mosques, and force businesses to recognize Christ...just like constitutional conservatives want.

However, those two things are not in the Constitution..

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 02:37:39 am »

However, those two things are not in the Constitution..

They are now. Trump said so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:38:40 am »
They are now. Trump said so.

He has a phone, and a pen.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 02:40:34 am »
Not all "constitutional conservatives."

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 12:18:58 pm »
[/quote

Nothing to do with the Constitution and has everything to do with the Christian principles and values upon which this country was founded. I don't know of any Constitutional conservatives that want to "force" businesses to do anything.  The only groups that want to "force" businesses to act are DEMS and RINO's; such in the instance of Obamacare.

Unfortunately there are institutions who will not allow their employees to say "Merry Christmas" to not "offend" anyone. Those entities are "forcing" their employees to act against Christian values. It has been a very sad day in America when we have those using God's name in vain, but yet can't include God in our everyday Christian lives.

I for one refuse to say "Happy Holidays" and wish those I encounter a very blessed and Merry Christmas.  If they get offended by it, so be it.  However, I haven't encountered anyone yet that has been offended.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 12:39:52 pm »
Never said Happy Holidays in my life, and have no intention of starting now!  :whistle:

I'll wish someone a Happy New Year - guess that'll be up for the chop next, since it's calendarist.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 02:02:42 pm »

I thought it rather over-the-top and so did the majority of the people there,  when he waved his bible to the crowd at the Value Voters Summit. "Most importantly, I brought my Bible," Donald Trump told the crowd.

Who does that? Other than someone who has gotten where he is by pandering.

He knows all Conservative Christians are aware of the war on Christianity and the true meaning of the Holiday - but a White House edict to stop a Target employee from wishing you Happy Holidays is NEVER going to happen, and God help us if the man in the White House ever becomes powerful enough to do so.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 02:21:06 pm »
I'm  personally not offended when someone says Happy Holidays. It's not a new term invented recently, look at Christmas cards from the 1940s or 50s and you will see Season's Greetings, and Happy Holidays on a huge percentage of them. Also a period of when the popularity of Santa, a jolly old elf really exploded. 

And in "Holidays", the meaning "Holy Days" is still there unless we are such an uptight Christian that we are blinded to it. What does bother me though is when a corporation dictates that their employees must not use the word Christmas. But rather than being rude to the employee, I think I'm a better representative of my Christian Faith when I smile back to them, and say "thank you, and a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you."
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »
Amen, NCD.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 03:40:55 pm »
Happy Holidays is the only polite greeting in places like New York City where there is a large population of people who do not celebrate Christmas.  Contra the stereotypes some people still peddle, Jewish people aren't much different from Christian people in appearance or language, at least not in most parts of NYC (the Hasidim and orthodox tend to stay to themselves), and so it's much more sensible to say Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas (just as it's more polite to say Happy Holidays instead of Happy Hanukkah).

That means that Trump is most definitely pandering - treating that crowd as a bunch of slavish dogs who respond like pavlov's dogs and don't have a brain in their heads - because he knows exactly what I'm talking about, being from NYC and all.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:42:31 pm by Oceander »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 01:39:09 pm »

So let me get this straight, a President Trump is going to demand that every store say Merry Christmas and how is he going to do it??? Also what will be the penalty if the someone doesn't say Merry Christmas?? 

Trump is talking about removing the stigma of political correctness.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
Trump is talking about removing the stigma of political correctness.  Nothing more, nothing less.

By what?  Making it illegal for people to say something, or forcing them to say something else?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 02:49:40 pm »

I like to point out that this issue should not be an issue in Presidential election.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 02:51:31 pm »
And I guarantee if I become president we're going to be saying 'Merry Christmas' at every store," Trump said.
How will he guarantee that?

Who is the "we" who will be saying, "Merry Christmas"?

If he's just expressing dismay over the stigma of political correctness, he might have said, "I'm tired of the political correctness that makes people afraid to say, 'Merry Christmas.' Personally, I say it to folks at every store during the Christmas holiday season, and guarantee I always will."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 04:09:56 pm »
 God's amazing grace?

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."  Luke 14:11

People who are truly Christian understand that they are not 'good.'
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 04:12:00 pm »
How will he guarantee that?

Who is the "we" who will be saying, "Merry Christmas"?

If he's just expressing dismay over the stigma of political correctness, he might have said, "I'm tired of the political correctness that makes people afraid to say, 'Merry Christmas.' Personally, I say it to folks at every store during the Christmas holiday season, and guarantee I always will."

Your statement is exactly what he should have said to make the point.

His very use of the word "guarantee" indicates that he thinks he's going to be able to personally change what is now PC into something that HE thinks people ought to say.

Which, by its very essence is another form of PC.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »

If I may interject something. Just a reminder, Trump doesn't calculate his statements like we are used to getting from politicians. He just opens his mouth and speaks. Some people hate that; it's unnerving to them.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 04:55:34 pm »

Please....get a grip!

He's saying that you will no longer have to feel uncomfortable again being a Christian in America, and the political correctness can stuff it.

In fact, when Trump wins, people will be able to SHOUT Merry Christmas!.....and to coordinate boycotts of corporations that have pandered to the PC crowd.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald