Author Topic: Trump Is No Conservative, But Neither Is....Marco Rubio  (Read 566 times)

bkepley

Trump Is No Conservative, But Neither Is....Marco Rubio
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:10:44 pm »
Jack Kerwick
Townhall

On its face, few things in the contemporary American political scene are as puzzling as Marco Rubio fans blasting Donald Trump for not being a true “conservative.”

As I’ve argued recently, given his track record, the unprejudiced observer can only conclude that Trump is not a conservative.

However, his GOP critics generally, and Marco Rubio admirers specifically, are at once intellectually dishonest and disingenuous when they level this charge against Trump, for their implication is clear: He is not a conservative, but Jeb, Marco, and anyone else who the Republican Trump bashers on Fox News and other places favor is a conservative.

Nothing in the world could be further from the truth.

Consider Senator Marco Rubio.

Though a one-time darling of the Tea Party—Americans who believed that on both the domestic and foreign fronts, our government has grown too large in scope—Rubio clings to the same adventurous, democratizing foreign policy vision shared by George W. Bush and the Republicans who were ejected from power in 2006 and 2008 largely because of it. It is “essential” for America to “spend money and risk lives on foreign policy,” Rubio has said.

Rubio's neo-con desire for a stronger US military presence overseas has bothered me.   Walker has a little bit of that too.  I've about had it with trying to police a world that doesn't want policing.

More here: http://townhall.com/columnists/jackkerwick/2015/08/19/trump-is-no-conservative-but-neither-ismarco-rubio-n2040937
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:12:11 pm by bkepley »

Offline EdinVA

Re: Trump Is No Conservative, But Neither Is....Marco Rubio
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:52:24 pm »
Rubio's neo-con desire for a stronger US military presence overseas has bothered me.   Walker has a little bit of that too.  I've about had it with trying to police a world that doesn't want policing.

More here: http://townhall.com/columnists/jackkerwick/2015/08/19/trump-is-no-conservative-but-neither-ismarco-rubio-n2040937

Understand and somewhat agree, BUT, always a but... :)

It is easy to "hate" someone/something/another country that you have never seen and only know what others tell you.
Our GI's are the best ambassadors you could ever ask for and having bases anywhere we can allows other nations/societies know us, so we cannot crawl into a hole and hide, we must stay engaged in the world.  That is the biggest issue I have always had with both Paul's.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:13:16 pm »
No candidate is perfect.  At one time Rubio was considered a TEA Party darling and since then, Rubio was a member of the "Gang of 8" on the proposed 2013 Comprehensive Immigration Reform and his soft stance on immigration is far from conservative.  More recently and just as concerning is he blocked conservative amendments to the IRAN Nuke Deal. Also, he voted for Kerry as Secretary of State.

Rubio "talks the talk" but he is far from conservative in my books.  I don't trust him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Godzilla

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:31 pm »
So, what this article states is that supporting a strong US military is not a conservative position.

Reagan supported a strong US military. 

Therefore, he is not a conservative.

Ergo, this article is BS.

---

But if this is the new conservativism... then I'm not conservative and will change my voter registration forthwith.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:18:09 pm by Godzilla »

bkepley

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:27 pm »
So, what this article states is that supporting a strong US military is not a conservative position.

Reagan supported a strong US military. 

Therefore, he is not a conservative.

Ergo, this article is BS.

---

But if this is the new conservativism... then I'm not conservative and will change my voter registration forthwith.

No it says more than that.  That was just the part I was interested in.