Author Topic: Bush unveils border security plan  (Read 2328 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bush unveils border security plan
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:48:56 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/250063-bush-unveils-border-security-plan

August 03, 2015, 10:32 am
Bush unveils border security plan

By Jonathan Easley

Jeb Bush released a 6-point outline Monday of his plan to secure the U.S. southern border to stop the flow of illegal immigration.

In a post written on Medium, Bush said he would station patrols at the border on shifts that last multiple days, enabling them to be more flexible in responding to threats; use new technology, like drones, radar and sensors, to detect illegal crossings; and bolster the construction of roads and infrastructure so patrolmen can better traverse the difficult terrain.

For enforcement in the country's interior, Bush said he would require electronic verification for workers to decrease the likelihood those in the country illegally can be employed. He would send home those who are overstaying their visas, whom he said make up the bulk of those in the country illegally. Bush also pushed for withholding federal funds from “sanctuary cities.”

“These six proposals, when combined with a rigorous path to earned legal status, would realistically and honestly address the status of the 11 million people here illegally today and protect against future illegal immigration,” Bush wrote.

Immigration reform is one of Bush’s biggest liabilities with the conservative base.

He faces deep skepticism from many conservatives, who deride any pathway to legal status for those in the country illegally as “amnesty.” Bush has said he won’t bend on his views as he seeks the GOP nomination for president even if they cost him politically.

Bush on Monday argued that rather than deporting the estimated 11 million in the country illegally, they should be allowed a pathway to legal status if they pass a criminal background check, pay fines and taxes, learn English, and meet other requirements.

“While passions run high on this issue, there is no rational plan to deport millions of people that the American people would support,” Bush wrote Monday. “It would disrupt communities and families and could cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars. The policies I am advocating can ultimately receive bipartisan support in Congress and become law.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Bush unveils border security plan
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:04:06 pm »
For enforcement in the country's interior, Bush said he would require electronic verification for workers to decrease the likelihood those in the country illegally can be employed. He would send home those who are overstaying their visas, whom he said make up the bulk of those in the country illegally. Bush also pushed for withholding federal funds from “sanctuary cities.”

Electronic verification for workers - does that mean US or THEM?  I mean, how would you be able to electronically verify someone that we don't even know is here?   

He is talking about deporting people, yet he goes on to say that the 11 million currently here should be able to gain legal status without being deported.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:25:56 pm »
Electronic verification for workers - does that mean US or THEM?  I mean, how would you be able to electronically verify someone that we don't even know is here?   

He is talking about deporting people, yet he goes on to say that the 11 million currently here should be able to gain legal status without being deported.

E-verify is supposed to curtail the hiring of illegals and I thought e-verify was already being used. However, those employers who hire illegals aren't going to all of a sudden use the system and secondly you are correct, you sure as heck can't verify someone that we don't even know is here.  So, e-verify IMHO is only a way to track legal American citizens.

What about the dang fence??  Building roads through the difficult terrain; that is quite futile without a fence.

Hey Jeb, what about allowing deportation instead of catch and release?  From the research and data that I have seen your statement that most illegals have simply overstayed there visas is a crock of crap. How about just building a dang sustainable fence and enforcing our existing immigration laws for starters. As for your statement that immigration is an "act of love"; try telling that to the parents of the young lady that was shot in San Francisco by an illegal.

I also have a real problem with Jeb's credibility.  In 2009 he favored deportation.  In 2012 he favored a pathway to citizenship.  In 2013 he wanted legalization rather than deportation.

Jeb has other issues that I don't agree with as well, but his stance on illegal immigration and "Common Core" and having the last name  Bush ought to sink him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:32:07 pm »

In a post written on Medium, Bush said he would station patrols at the border on shifts that last multiple days, enabling them to be more flexible in responding to threats; use new technology, like drones, radar and sensors, to detect illegal crossings; and bolster the construction of roads and infrastructure so patrolmen can better traverse the difficult terrain.
I'm sorry JB but maybe I no read englase... where are the words STOP and PREVENT?

Bush on Monday argued that rather than deporting the estimated 11 million in the country illegally, they should be allowed a pathway to legal status if they pass a criminal background check, pay fines and taxes, learn English, and meet other requirements.
So, what happens if they refuse to pay their fine/taxes, learn english?  Do we deport them or extend their temporary stay until they do?
What other requirements?  Maybe have a job?  Maybe have their OWN place to live, not live in someones basement?

It appears that we are only addressing illegals from Mexico, how about terrorist sponsoring nations?
All are not equal when it comes to breaking the law...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:34:04 pm by EdinVA »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:41:03 pm »
Who get's to design this "criminal background check"?  What will it's parameters be?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 03:42:16 pm »
If 11 million illegals are too many to deport, track, find or tax how does JB propose to make sure they learn english, pay fines and taxes?
The ACLU is going to shoot down ANY requirement to assimilate anyway.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:18 pm »
In a nutshell Jeb is just trying to blow smoke.  He flip-flopped once he became governor and he is up to his eyebrows in land scam corruption and I'll be damned if I'd ever vote for him again.

Sadly there are those that will vote for him because they think he's the only one that can beat Hillary or because his calls himself a Republican.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:42 pm »
In a nutshell Jeb is just trying to blow smoke.  He flip-flopped once he became governor and he is up to his eyebrows in land scam corruption and I'll be damned if I'd ever vote for him again.

Sadly there are those that will vote for him because they think he's the only one that can beat Hillary or because his calls himself a Republican.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,176153.msg692443.html#msg692443

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 04:15:58 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,176153.msg692443.html#msg692443

Jeb's dirty laundry list continues to grow.  Hopefully some of that will come up during the debates, but I'm not holding my breath.  The moderators don't seem to ask pertinent questions that help to inform voters.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 07:38:51 pm »
JEB? Plan

1.  Amnesty for illegal aliens
2.  Amnesty for illegal aliens' children, relatives and extended family and creation of chain amnesty for all
3.  Section 8 housing, Food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Social Security Disability and Dependent Benefits, Child Care credits, and child income tax credits, free JEB? cell phones, instate tuition, free lunches and breakfasts for children
4.  Affirmative Action, Affirmative Action and Affirmative Action for all the above.
5.  After you have indulged all of our Welfare goodies, will you please vote Republican?  Please?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 07:41:19 pm »
The fence or wall does nothing about the half of illegals, that entered legally, then overstayed their visas.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:11:01 pm »
They keep on bouncing that 11 mil number around. I read it is more like 37 mil.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:19:12 pm »
JEB? Plan

1.  Amnesty for illegal aliens
2.  Amnesty for illegal aliens' children, relatives and extended family and creation of chain amnesty for all
3.  Section 8 housing, Food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Social Security Disability and Dependent Benefits, Child Care credits, and child income tax credits, free JEB? cell phones, instate tuition, free lunches and breakfasts for children
4.  Affirmative Action, Affirmative Action and Affirmative Action for all the above.
5.  After you have indulged all of our Welfare goodies, will you please vote Republican?  Please?

You nailed it.....
#4 Affirmative Action for all except Vets.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:37:52 am »
Jeb at the border:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 01:40:22 am »
They keep on bouncing that 11 mil number around. I read it is more like 37 mil.

The fact of the matter is that no one knows how many it really is but IMHO 11 million is a VERY low ball number!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:05 am »

That ship sailed a while ago.  Employers can already check social security numbers on e-verify, and everyone is already required to provide their social security number to their employer, unless they want to have 25% of their pay withheld and sent to the taxman.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:54 am »
libertybele grumbles above:
[[ How about just building a dang sustainable fence and enforcing our existing immigration laws for starters. ]]

The reason they won't talk about building an effective border barrier is because:

Barriers WORK.
They are passive obstacles that dont' require much maintenance once they're built.
They're just "there".

Build a solid enough wall, and it's going to stop 98% of the illegal entries.

They'll try to dig tunnels, but the technology is out there now to stop that, and we can always ask for help from the Israelis, who know how to get the job done:

But that's why you won't hear many Republicans talking about a true border barrier.
Because they're effective.
The LAST thing they want is a solid, controllable border.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:46:30 am »

That ship sailed a while ago.  Employers can already check social security numbers on e-verify, and everyone is already required to provide their social security number to their employer, unless they want to have 25% of their pay withheld and sent to the taxman.

Nothing works if it isn't enforced!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 01:57:54 am »
Walls are singularly ineffective and are nothing more than a white elephant's white elephant.  The ground under the wall between Egypt and Gaza is honey-combed with tunnels, some concrete-lined and big enough to drive vehicles along, making a mockery of the wall.

And then there's the cost.  The US-Mexico border (that's usually the only border people wig out about) is almost 2,000 miles long.

Back in 2010 one estimate had it that a 10 kilometer section of the steel barrier along the Egypt Gaza border would cost about $500 million:  http://www.newsmax.com/HerbertLondon/HerbLondon-Egypt-wall-Gaza/2010/01/06/id/345596/

2,000 miles is about 3,200 kilometers (rounding down a bit).  That means a similar steel barrier along the entire length of the US-Mexico border would cost, charitably, at least 3,200 / 10 * $500 million = $160 billion.  And then there's the need for constructing the buffer zones.  An estimate I saw had Egypt paying about $70 million for a buffer zone along its measly little Gaza barrier.  Again, multiply by 320 and that adds another $22.4 billion.  Keep in mind that the Egypt-Gaza buffer zone would be about 1km deep.  In Egypt and Gaza that involves destroying a lot of houses and businesses.  It might not have that effect in the depths of the desert, but it will certainly be more costly in places like Laredo/Nuevo Laredo, and the other border towns.

Then there's the cost of the massive new border patrols that would have to be hired, trained, and equipped.

And after all of that, the human smugglers would still dig plenty of tunnels under that wall, rendering it largely ineffectual, just as they've been merrily doing so in Gaza.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:42 am »
Nothing works if it isn't enforced!

And?  The concern I responded to was about being electronically checked on in the first place.  That is already SOP for employers, so it's nothing new.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 02:01:09 am »
And?  The concern I responded to was about being electronically checked on in the first place.  That is already SOP for employers, so it's nothing new.

Yes it is and routinely ignored because there currently is no penalty for doing so.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 02:03:09 am »
Yes it is and routinely ignored because there currently is no penalty for doing so.

So then we should start electronically checking everyone, correct?  Sounds like we should simply stop fooling ourselves and issue a national identity card that can be used to uniquely identify anyone anywhere, and make it a criminal offense to not have your card on you at all times and a separate offense to refuse to provide it to law enforcement upon request.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 02:09:21 am »
So then we should start electronically checking everyone, correct?  Sounds like we should simply stop fooling ourselves and issue a national identity card that can be used to uniquely identify anyone anywhere, and make it a criminal offense to not have your card on you at all times and a separate offense to refuse to provide it to law enforcement upon request.

Don't think that is necessary either! Kinda sounds like "it's either this Iran deal or war" to me!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 02:12:29 am »
Don't think that is necessary either! Kinda sounds like "it's either this Iran deal or war" to me!

Then what would you suggest?  How do we instantly determine that someone is, or is not, an illegal alien?  The only way to do that is with a national identity card.  And as you said, nothing works if it's not enforced, so there would have to be some sort of enforcement method that forced individuals to carry their ID cards on them at all times:  if there is no penalty for not carrying the card, then people - legal or illegal - won't carry the card.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:13:17 am by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 02:27:58 am »
Then what would you suggest?  How do we instantly determine that someone is, or is not, an illegal alien?  The only way to do that is with a national identity card.  And as you said, nothing works if it's not enforced, so there would have to be some sort of enforcement method that forced individuals to carry their ID cards on them at all times:  if there is no penalty for not carrying the card, then people - legal or illegal - won't carry the card.

Enforce current law! Whatever it takes!

If you are asking me how I would fix the problem I would turn off the magnets! Every last one of them!  No jobs, healthcare, no nothing!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:29:38 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien