Author Topic: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President  (Read 11433 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:34:44 am »
Admitting he wants to be one of the worst, destructive, and racist presidents in our history?

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush said he would strive to be like Lyndon Johnson, the Democrat famous for expanding the U.S. welfare state through the “Great Society,” if he were elected president.

According to the Miami Herald, Bush made those comments Wednesday night in San Antonio, Florida at Saint Leo University, while speaking about education, immigration, and energy policy.

Bush did not address Johnson’s Great Society and War on Poverty programs, about which Ronald Reagan once famously quipped, “We had a war on poverty, and poverty won.”...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/02/15/jeb-bush-i-d-strive-to-be-like-lyndon-johnson-if-elected-president/

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:36:17 am »
SHeeeesh!...I have tried so hard to like Jeb...just not happening..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:15 am »
That ought to take him over the top!  /sarc
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:44:12 am »
Not that surprising, considering Jeb's father loves Bill Clinton like a son. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:53:01 am »
SHeeeesh!...I have tried so hard to like Jeb...just not happening..

Did you read the rest of the article?

Bush did not address Johnson’s Great Society and War on Poverty programs, about which Ronald Reagan once famously quipped, “We had a war on poverty, and poverty won.”

Instead, he was referencing Johnson’s mastery of the so-called sausage-making process in Congress. 

He vowed to approach the presidency as “master of the Senate,” as biographer Robert Caro described Johnson.

“He went and he cajoled, he begged, he threatened, he loved, he hugged, he did what leaders do, which is they personally get engaged to make something happen,” Bush said of Johnson. Bush cited Caro’s latest book about Johnson, The Passage of Power, which covers the first part of Johnson’s presidency.

The wheeling and dealing Johnson loved and relished is what will be needed to pass bills such as immigration regulations. That process is also how government gets expanded and cronyism thrives, as Peter Schweizer’s nonpartisan Government Accountability Institute and directer Stephen K. Bannon documented in “Boomtown.”

He would emulate Johnson insofar as he would do whatever it took to get Congress to do the things he wants to get done.

Or would you prefer a guy that ignores Congress and governs by Executive Order?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:55:17 am »
I guess Trump would try to get things done, and when things don't go his way, he'll call Congress "losers" and "jackasses".

Leader of the free world...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:55:43 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:08:02 am »

He would emulate Johnson insofar as he would do whatever it took to get Congress to do the things he wants to get done.

Thanx for posting the rest the story.  I was thinking WTF Bush, but it was clear what he meant with the excerpt you posted.

Of course LBJ didn't have to cajole too hard since he had huge rat majorities in both chambers of Congress.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:53:39 am »
Thanx for posting the rest the story.  I was thinking WTF Bush, but it was clear what he meant with the excerpt you posted.

Of course LBJ didn't have to cajole too hard since he had huge rat majorities in both chambers of Congress.

Breitbart has become trash.

They count on people not reading beyond the headline.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 04:59:57 am »
Breitbart has become trash.

They count on people not reading beyond the headline.
Well we have at least one poster here that specialized in fringe sources, complete with headlines which are not proved or supported by the article.

Breitbart was a source a few years ago, with strong material.

More evidence for my thesis of the weakening, of conservatism, falling for this type of crap.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:08 am »

You are correct. If you get past the headline and into the full context, its not what it seems at all. I think we should not be so eager to help the lame stream media out, because next time it could be my favorite candidate, or yours, or yours, or yours, [speaking to all those that posted comments on the headline alone] that they print bogus headlines about.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 05:34:44 am »
I'm curious as to why Jeb Bush didn't use Reagan as an example of emulating someone who worked with Congress to get things done.  It seems a bit tone deaf to me, to be running in the Republican party for president and to cite LBJ as who he would lead like.  Does he realize how hated LBJ is among Republican voters?  I don't understand why he would think that his potential voters would see that as a point in his favor.  I mean, is he trying to piss people off with such a connotation? 

Not too savvy in my book.   

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:22 am »
I'm curious as to why Jeb Bush didn't use Reagan as an example of emulating someone who worked with Congress to get things done.  It seems a bit tone deaf to me, to be running in the Republican party for president and to cite LBJ as who he would lead like.  Does he realize how hated LBJ is among Republican voters?  I don't understand why he would think that his potential voters would see that as a point in his favor.  I mean, is he trying to piss people off with such a connotation? 

I agree.  Bush is running for the GOP nomination.  Reagan is almost universally loved and LBJ is almost universally despised by Republicans.  I can't imagine why Bush didn't pick Reagan.  He should save this rat admiration for the general election.   

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 08:39:56 am »
I agree.  Bush is running for the GOP nomination.  Reagan is almost universally loved and LBJ is almost universally despised by Republicans.  I can't imagine why Bush didn't pick Reagan.  He should save this rat admiration for the general election.

I agree. Except, in my opinion, odds are he won't be the nominee.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 11:37:17 am »

I've HEARD Jeb talk about Common Core and immigration too.  He said his mind was made up and now it's up to him to convince others to think his way.  That's what I want, another clown who knows more than everybody else in the room and is unwilling to change when presented with reality.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:00 pm »
Seems to me that any GOP candidate who wanted to come across as a conservative would certainly steer clear from associating themselves in any way with one of the most destructive presidents this country has ever had. By selecting Johnson in reference to  working with Congress rather than Reagan shows exactly where his mind is at; trying to appease the DEMS.  With his comments regarding Johnson, failed common core policy and pro-amnesty stance; I can't think of any candidate that is more of a RINOGOP than Bush.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:44:43 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 12:57:32 pm »

I think he means, "I'll have those Hispanics voting Democrat for the next 100 years."    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

bkepley

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »

I think he means, "I'll have those Hispanics voting Democrat for the next 100 years."    :silly:

Sounds more like Trump's plan.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »

Exactly.  After all  Bush identified himself as Hispanic in a 2009 voter registration application...his response later was that he made a mistake. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 01:24:24 pm »
I've HEARD Jeb talk about Common Core and immigration too.  He said his mind was made up and now it's up to him to convince others to think his way.  That's what I want, another clown who knows more than everybody else in the room and is unwilling to change when presented with reality.

Common Core is a set of standard levels of learning on the core study items that all students should be able to achieve, on a national scale, before they are advanced to the next grade level.

It was voted into existence by the mostly mostly Republican National Governors Association, and no State has to participate into it.

The primary objective of the idea is to make sure that a kid advancing from third to fourth grade in Ohio has the same level of math and science understanding that a kid making the same move in Florida.

Right now, if a kid flunks third grade twice, he is advanced to fourth grade. That makes less sense.

In the video below, Common Core is discussed by Bobbi Jindal, Mike Pence, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, and John kasich. It's worth the time to watch it.

Jindal is complaining about how math is taught in his State (he voted for Common Core, and now he's against it), but the way that math is taught is based on the curriculum implemented and the textbooks purchased by his State's education people.

The Jindal complains about Federal involvement in local education and says that he doesn't want the Federal government to dictate that a State must adhere to Common Core, BUT he objects to the Federal government withholding Federal funding for his State's education system. No curriculum is set by the Federal government because that is against the law.

They all want less Federal government involvement in education, but they also want the Federal monies to continue to flow into the States.

John Kasich cuts through the rhetoric and bullshit at the 10 minute mark. No one rebukes him.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:28:48 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 01:34:43 pm »
Common Core is a set of standard levels of learning on the core study items that all students should be able to achieve, on a national scale, before they are advanced to the next grade level.

It was voted into existence by the mostly mostly Republican National Governors Association, and no State has to participate into it.

The primary objective of the idea is to make sure that a kid advancing from third to fourth grade in Ohio has the same level of math and science understanding that a kid making the same move in Florida.

Right now, if a kid flunks third grade twice, he is advanced to fourth grade. That makes less sense.

In the video below, Common Core is discussed by Bobbi Jindal, Mike Pence, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, and John kasich. It's worth the time to watch it.

Jindal is complaining about how math is taught in his State (he voted for Common Core, and now he's against it), but the way that math is taught is based on the curriculum implemented and the textbooks purchased by his State's education people.

The Jindal complains about Federal involvement in local education and says that he doesn't want the Federal government to dictate that a State must adhere to Common Core, BUT he objects to the Federal government withholding Federal funding for his State's education system. No curriculum is set by the Federal government because that is against the law.

They all want less Federal government involvement in education, but they also want the Federal monies to continue to flow into the States.

John Kasich cuts through the rhetoric and bullshit at the 10 minute mark. No one rebukes him.

Jeb Bush and John Kasich are number 14 and 15 in personal ranking at present.  Trump is 16.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 01:35:18 pm »

Yep!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 01:39:06 pm »
Jeb Bush and John Kasich are number 14 and 15 in personal ranking at present.  Trump is 16.

So you didn't take the time to watch the video and listen to anything that was said, but you took the tome to post some worthless personal ranking.

You're the poster baby for low information voter.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 01:45:49 pm »
I agree. Except, in my opinion, odds are he won't be the nominee.

Not after saying this, IMO.

It doesn't matter how he explains it, saying the words, "I would govern like LBJ" the racist bully who signed the Civil Rights act just for political power, micromanaged the Viet Nam war and lost it, sacrificing thousands of American lives, and forced the Great Society on us, which has destroyed a significant part of our culture....... was really, really stupid.

In terms of Governance, LBJ is at the bottom of the barrel.

Dumb, Jeb.  Really dumb.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 01:47:47 pm »

Exactly.  It is interesting to me that almost every presidential candidate will mention Reagan's name, talk about how great he was and all of the things he accomplished, but they will go hold some ahole like Johnson up as the person to emulate... out of 47 presidents that is the best he can do?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 01:55:38 pm »
According to the Miami Herald.

The Miami Herald article is dated FEBRUARY 14, 2013.

Jeb Bush wouldn’t say Wednesday night whether or not he’s likely to run for president in 2016, but at Saint Leo University he did suggest a surprising role model for the sort of president he’d strive to be: Lyndon Johnson.

No, the conservative former Florida governor didn’t hail Johnson’s Great Society initiatives. Instead, he hailed Johnson’s forceful, hands-on leadership that among other things produced a 25 percent across-the-board income tax cut.

“He went and he cajoled, he begged, he threatened, he loved, he hugged, he did what leaders do, which is they personally get engaged to make something happen,’’ said Bush, who recently read Robert Caro’s latest Johnson biography.

Bush’s homage to Johnson before several hundred people at the Pasco County campus was one of his only shots at President Barack Obama, who has earned a reputation for avoiding hands-on negotiating with congressional leaders.

“I saw an unnamed person in the White House about a month ago say, 'You know, Lincoln would have had a hard time in the climate we’re in today, with the Republicans being so intractable,’ ” Bush said. “Really? You’re comparing what we have today to a civil war? Really?”

Mostly, though, the ex-governor many Republicans hope will run for president talked about the potential for bipartisan cooperation to make several basic steps to generate more economic growth.

His prescription amounts to a three-legged stool: a focus on ramping up North American energy production; comprehensive immigration reform that would make America more welcoming to non-native innovators and entrepreneurs; and education reforms to ensure America is equipped to sustain the growth generated by the first two legs.

“The greatest news that has happened since the commercialization of the Internet is that the United States has the potential in the very near term to become the largest producer of oil and gas in the world,” Bush said, noting that advances in so-called fracking and horizontal drilling are already dramatically growing the natural gas industry.

With thoughtful safeguards and regulations, Bush said, the natural gas revolution stands to re-industrialize the country, create millions of high-wage jobs, cut greenhouse gas emissions, save consumers money and require a smaller military presence overseas and “not put the lives at risk of brave men and woman for other countries.”

Bush has a book coming out next month about immigration reform, and he argued Wednesday that sensible immigration policies could be another major growth engine. As the population ages, the country needs policies to ensure a strong work force and those would include encouraging more people learning science and technology skills at American universities to stay in the country.

Both parties deserve blame for the status quo, he said, with Republicans talking tough about the rule of law “as a way to win primaries,” and Democrats sitting back and letting the Republican immigration rhetoric lose them general elections.

The country needs to control the borders and enforce the rule of law, but also should provide a pathway to legal status to millions of undocumented immigrants already here if they pay a fine, learn English and abide by the law, he said.

“To me ­— and I’m here at this great Catholic institution and this is what my church teaches me — it is completely un-American to require people living in the shadows.”

But economic growth won’t last unless the country gets a grip on its education system, said Bush, who has been crusading for years for greater accountability.

As governor, Bush sought to ban offshore drilling within 100 miles from Florida shores, but he said Wednesday the BP oil spill — occurring in deep water far away from Florida — led him to rethink that. With technological advances, the risks can be minimized, he said.

“I think we should be part of the solution in creating energy security for our country. ... We can’t be anti-progress, we can’t be anti-innovation, anti-technology,” he said. “I shared the view of a majority of Floridians 10 years ago and probably a majority of Floridians today share (my) view today.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article1947288.html#storylink=cpy

That's the entire article, with the comments in perspective (he was taking a shot at Obama).

People are so easily led by the nose.

You all love Reagan so much, here's a quote of his that you REALLY need to live by:

"Trust, but verify."

Questioning anything and everything that Breitbart posts is a really good idea.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:56:40 pm by Luis Gonzalez »