Author Topic: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President  (Read 11432 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:40 pm »
Ok, let me be more specific.
All of the Bushes are good, honorable people and understand government, no issue.
NONE of the Bushes are good at a down in the gutter fight which is what Hellery and the left are going to bring to the table.
JB is going to get eaten alive....

You nailed it...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2015, 08:58:30 pm »
Here's the problem as I see it:  I don't think Walker can beat Hillary.  I don't think Trump can beat Hillary.  I don't think Cruz can win the nomination.  I think Rubio might be able to win the nomination and defeat Hillary.  I think Bush can win the nomination and defeat Hillary.  I'm not afraid of Hillary's evil squadron.  I think the press is sick of her stuff, frankly.

But this is now...things can change...candidates improve or drop out.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2015, 09:04:50 pm »
Here's the problem as I see it:  I don't think Walker can beat Hillary.  I don't think Trump can beat Hillary.  I don't think Cruz can win the nomination.  I think Rubio might be able to win the nomination and defeat Hillary.  I think Bush can win the nomination and defeat Hillary.  I'm not afraid of Hillary's evil squadron.  I think the press is sick of her stuff, frankly.

But they key is WHY can't they beat hellary?
I see a steady barrage of "republicans want to control your lady parts"...
Republicans want to take away your free s**t....
Republicans hate blacks and hispanics....
Republicans want us to stay involved in a war 10,000 miles away from us....
I fully expect extensive voter fraud and voter intimidation using the black panthers at most if not all polling stations...
and on and on

Republicans will get their heads kicked in unless they are mentally equipped to fight that type of fight, with the exception of Trump, they are not.
Tump is not my "favorite" right now because I am crazy about the guy, he is just the only one that is willing to fight to win.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2015, 09:11:32 pm »
They're looking for someone who can win.  Big money isn't often wasted on a loser (not that Bush would definitely win.)

Oh, like Ford, Dole, McCain, Romney?  Those winners?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2015, 09:13:49 pm »

Bush defeat Hillary?  I don't think Bush could beat Sanders!  I'd ask for you to send me some of what you're smoking but I know it's probably it's probably against the law in my state!

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:51 pm »

Good post!  Do I agree 100%?  No.  It is a very good and succinct post nonetheless.

My own "instinct" is that Hillary is very beatable.  She is a flawed candidate and a worse campaigner.  Walker's strength is he stays on message and is largely unflappable.  That said, he can make the inexperienced gaffe and he needs to guard against flip-flopping, even in appearance.  The media will look for any reason to topple this guy.   My view is he is best left in Wisconsin but he can beat Hillary if he gets that gust of wind.  Walker's staying in Wisconsin will continue to drive my relatives batty in any case.  I get immense satisfaction from that alone. 

If I were to put chips on squares of those I think have a shot at the R nomination?  No exploding heads, please!

Today? 

Bush, Rubio and my long shot is Perry.

But, as you say - that can change. 

Look! ---->**I support or endorse no one at this point**<---- Look!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2015, 09:43:27 pm »
These words by Jeb, as they are described in the article, are innocuous and of no value in judging him as a candidate.  Believe him.  Don't believe him.  That's it, really.  Nowhere did he say he supported LBJ's policies.  And this is easily clarified should he feel a need to.  I don't see one.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:48:13 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

bkepley

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2015, 10:16:00 pm »
Oh, like Ford, Dole, McCain, Romney?  Those winners?

You misunderstand.  Those guys had a chance that none of the other GOP had by big money reasoning.  Big money is non-ideological.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2015, 10:20:51 pm »
All I'm saying is that is what the big money does which is try to back the right horse.  I suspect Bush will survive this.  Reagan liked to quote Roosevelt all the time and Roosevelt was anathema also to the right maybe even more than LBJ and for most of the same reasons.
Contrary to what you'll hear from "conservatives" now, when Reagan ran, FDR was still widely revered by Americans, from both sides of the political spectrum, and it made complete sense for Reagan to give him his due.

I believe most Americans, when Reagan ran,  were more mentally & politically mature, reasonable, educated in history etc. They had family ties to the Depression and to WWII.

Having said that, I can't imagine what political benefit Jeb could expect from his remarks. LBJ is not FDR, or Reagan.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

bkepley

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2015, 10:27:04 pm »
Contrary to what you'll hear from "conservatives" now, when Reagan ran, FDR was still widely revered by Americans, from both sides of the political spectrum, and it made complete sense for Reagan to give him his due.

I believe most Americans, when Reagan ran,  were more mentally & politically mature, reasonable, educated in history etc. They had family ties to the Depression and to WWII.

Having said that, I can't imagine what political benefit Jeb could expect from his remarks. LBJ is not FDR, or Reagan.

How old are you and how long politically conservative?  Roosevelt was and still is a despised politician to the right.  There's no use going into all that though but you can look up the new deal, his communist colleagues, supreme court packing, etc.  Compared to FDR LBJ was a small government liberal.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2015, 10:33:49 pm »
How old are you and how long politically conservative?  Roosevelt was and still is a despised politician to the right.  There's no use going into all that though but you can look up the new deal, his communist colleagues, supreme court packing, etc.  Compared to FDR LBJ was a small government liberal.

Well, I never despised FDR...  if it were not for him, WWII would have had a totally different outcome.
He was masterful at keeping the allies together.

Never liked his domestic programs/policies but that is 20/20 hindsight. 
No one had ever had to tackle a depression that severe so there was no history to lean on.
If his programs had not been abused for the last 70+ years, maybe they would have been ok.

bkepley

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2015, 10:40:27 pm »
Well, I never despised FDR...  if it were not for him, WWII would have had a totally different outcome.
He was masterful at keeping the allies together.

Never liked his domestic programs/policies but that is 20/20 hindsight. 
No one had ever had to tackle a depression that severe so there was no history to lean on.
If his programs had not been abused for the last 70+ years, maybe they would have been ok.

I like Roosevelt's war leadership too.  Not so crazy about his behavior once he saw we had clearly won.  Much to pro-uncle Joe and pretty much considered the British Empire as the greatest long range threat.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »
If the field of republican candidates cannot stand up to Trump without crying, how can you expect them to handle the liberal competition?

I think it was Trump worrying about the Party not being fair to him, causing him to threaten to take his ball and go home.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2015, 10:47:06 pm »
I think there is way too much focus on the political race that's over a year away.  I'm more worried about all the other crap; Iran nuke deal, ISIS, attack on gun rights and religious freedom, etc.  Heck at this point, I'm just hoping we make it to the next election.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2015, 11:01:21 pm »
How old are you?

bkepley

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:22 pm »
Good post!  Do I agree 100%?  No.  It is a very good and succinct post nonetheless.

My own "instinct" is that Hillary is very beatable.  She is a flawed candidate and a worse campaigner.  Walker's strength is he stays on message and is largely unflappable.  That said, he can make the inexperienced gaffe and he needs to guard against flip-flopping, even in appearance.  The media will look for any reason to topple this guy.   My view is he is best left in Wisconsin but he can beat Hillary if he gets that gust of wind.  Walker's staying in Wisconsin will continue to drive my relatives batty in any case.  I get immense satisfaction from that alone. 

If I were to put chips on squares of those I think have a shot at the R nomination?  No exploding heads, please!

Today? 

Bush, Rubio and my long shot is Perry.

But, as you say - that can change. 

Look! ---->**I support or endorse no one at this point**<---- Look!

So...who do you endorse at this point...? :whistle:

Actually at this stage I think your three are probably reasonable, though a lot of odds sites don't have Perry favorably in it yet.  They are mostly followed up by Walker and then Paul.  Interestingly in January 2014, Christie was the oddsmakers' favorite.  But I'd have to say Trump is certainly a wild card regardless of what many think about his...LBJ style.    :smokin:

bkepley

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:31 pm »
Trump was very reasonable tonight...I think he's in it now to win it.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2015, 11:31:40 pm »
57 FWIW.
My father and my father-in-law were WWII combat purple heart vets. Republicans later, but they didn't slam their CINC.

My mother's family traces their Republican roots to the abolition days, and they were strongly Republicans during WWII, but nonetheless they respected FDR.

Oh, and I was 16 years old when Goldwater ran, my family supported him. My mother went to the same high school and college as Richard Nixon. I had to wait until age 24 to vote since voting at 18 had not yet passed. I was for Nixon in 1968.

Governor Reagan was a favorite here in California, which didn't take 2nd place to anywhere, as far as "conservatism" in the 60s, 70s, 80s.
Those of us on the political right knew the philosophy well. We witnessed Reagan "sell" his political ideas. We were thrilled when he won, thrilled when his stuff mostly worked well.

You were 6 years old when Goldwater ran, by the way.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2015, 11:34:34 pm »
So...who do you endorse at this point...? :whistle:

I was hoping someone would ask, MAC!

Why, the Republican of course!   :beer:
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:24 pm »
My father and my father-in-law were WWII combat purple heart vets. Republicans later, but they didn't slam their CINC.

My mother's family traces their Republican roots to the abolition days, and they were strongly Republicans during WWII, but nonetheless they respected FDR.

Oh, and I was 16 years old when Goldwater ran, my family supported him. My mother went to the same high school and college as Richard Nixon. I had to wait until age 24 to vote since voting at 18 had not yet passed. I was for Nixon in 1968.

Governor Reagan was a favorite here in California, which didn't take 2nd place to anywhere, as far as "conservatism" in the 60s, 70s, 80s.
Those of us on the political right knew the philosophy well. We witnessed Reagan "sell" his political ideas. We were thrilled when he won, thrilled when his stuff mostly worked well.

My mother and father were life long democrats until I ran for office in 1994 as a Republican.

My mother almost had a breakdown in 1960 because the choice was between Kennedy (a Catholic) and Nixon (a republican).

I cried my eyes out when Barry Goldwater lost to LBJ in 64. Don't know why as I was completely politically uninformed at the time but my instincts were fully intact i guess. Three years later I was in Vietnam under LBJ and often wondered (still do) what the outcome of that would have been had the president been Barry Goldwater.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »
You misunderstand.  Those guys had a chance that none of the other GOP had by big money reasoning.  Big money is non-ideological.

Check  :beer:

bkepley

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2015, 11:52:17 pm »

And you don't recall that FDR was the most hated of the all by the right wing of the GOP?  I'm sorry but either you are a liar or you need an alzenheimers test.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:24 pm »
And you don't recall that FDR was the most hated of the all by the right wing of the GOP?  I'm sorry but either you are a liar or you need an alzenheimers test.

Come on...was THAT necessary?

Or are you upset because you thought you were 16 and not 6?    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:07 am »
I was hoping someone would ask, MAC!

Why, the Republican of course!   :beer:

But of course!   :beer: