Author Topic: Obama Dares GOP: Go Ahead, ‘Have a Vote on Whether What I’m Doing Is Legal…I Will Veto’ [ Obama: 'We've Expanded My Authorities'...]  (Read 6894 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.mrctv.org/blog/obama-go-ahead-have-vote-whether-what-i-m-doing-legal-i-will-veto

Obama Dares GOP: Go Ahead, ‘Have a Vote on Whether What I’m Doing Is Legal…I Will Veto’
By Craig Bannister | 3 hours ago

Pres. Obama is daring Republicans to vote on whether or not his executive actions are legal.

Discussing opposition to his executive amnesty orders at an immigration town hall Wednesday, Obama said he would veto the vote because his actions are “the right thing to do”:

“So in the short term, if Mr. McConnell, the leader of the Senate, and the Speaker of the House, John Boehner, want to have a vote on whether what I’m doing is legal or not, they can have that vote.  I will veto that vote, because I’m absolutely confident that what we’re doing is the right thing to do.”

Obama argued that he has merely “expanded my authorities” – not broken any laws:

“What we’ve done is we’ve expanded my authorities under executive action and prosecutorial discretion as far as we can legally under the existing statute, the existing law.  And so now the question is, how can we get a law passed.”

Obama called the “political process” a “separate track”:

So we’re going to have to keep on with the political process on a separate track.  But in the meantime, we’re going to do everything that we can to make sure that we implement executive actions as we’ve discussed.

In addition to these “shortcuts,” the immigration law must be changed, as well, Obama said:

“There are only so many shortcuts.  Ultimately, we have to change the law.  And people have to remain focused on that.”

Watch full town hall video at link..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Millee

Offline flowers

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/obama-go-ahead-have-vote-whether-what-i-m-doing-legal-i-will-veto

Pres. Obama is daring Republicans to vote on whether or not his executive actions are legal.

Discussing opposition to his executive amnesty orders at an immigration town hall Wednesday, Obama said he would veto the vote because his actions are “the right thing to do”:

“So in the short term, if Mr. McConnell, the leader of the Senate, and the Speaker of the House, John Boehner, want to have a vote on whether what I’m doing is legal or not, they can have that vote.  I will veto that vote, because I’m absolutely confident that what we’re doing is the right thing to do.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
If they truly hold that vote—and that would be an IMPEACHMENT vote, by the way—the President would not have the authority to veto.

But…that's not going to happen and we all know it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GourmetDan

If they truly hold that vote—and that would be an IMPEACHMENT vote, by the way—the President would not have the authority to veto.

Oh that's easy.  Bammy would just sign an EO that says he can veto an impeachment vote.

He has a pen and a phone, remember...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

Offline evadR

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

But…that's not going to happen and we all know it.

You need all Senate Republicans plus 12 Democrats to vote for impeachment in order to convict.

That will NEVER happen, so why do it?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

Why miss an opportunity to commit more political suicide?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EdinVA

You need all Senate Republicans plus 12 Democrats to vote for impeachment in order to convict.

Yea, lets throw in the towel...... go back to I luv Lucy reruns and open a beer...

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Yea, lets throw in the towel...... go back to I luv Lucy reruns and open a beer...

Accepting reality and understanding that impeachment won't happen does not equate to throwing in the towel. You need to choose your battles intelligently, and that means not fighting battles you can't win.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Why miss an opportunity to commit more political suicide?
Like the shutdown that everyone said would be political suicide, but ended up turning into one of the biggest GOP waves since 1994?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GourmetDan

Like the shutdown that everyone said would be political suicide, but ended up turning into one of the biggest GOP waves since 1994?

Yeah, but according to our resident political pundits it would have been an even bigger win had the GOP not taken the blame for the shutdown...   /s

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The failed action of impeaching a black President will serve to rally whatever troops Democrats can still count on.

It will all be sold as racism/hatred.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

I'd love to see some polling data. I don't believe any of the major polling groups have even bothered to ask, but ...

Question: Would you support congress conducting impeachment hearings?

Don't laugh, but maybe the public is coming around and questioning Obama's actions. Most people (probably still) believe this is a representative government.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Correlation does not imply causation. The waves happened IN SPITE of the shutdown.

See that lowest point in the GOP's favorable line?

That was the shutdown.

The GOP took a huge shot in the face because of the shutdown. Thankfully, Obamacare wiped all that from the memory of the voters.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:06:57 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
One would think that Congressional dems would at least take issue with usurping their body's power, even if they happen to be in the same party. This sets a precedent that could backfire on them just as much.

Really the only hope is the citizens melting the phones and making congress fear for their political future.

But alas, Dancing With Honey Boo Boo's Idol is back on and they'll be in front of the tube.

Offline aligncare

Remember how constitutional scholar Jonathan Turley testified before Congress that Obama's actions have been/are dangerous to constitutional separation of powers.

And Turley's a Lib.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I've changed my position on this.  I now believe they should move forward with impeachment.  They obviously aren't going to get anything else worthwhile done so they might as well do it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I've changed my position on this.  I now believe they should move forward with impeachment.  They obviously aren't going to get anything else worthwhile done so they might as well do it!

I believe the gain of at least getting everything on record and under oath, not just spin to the press, would be worth the risk. Make them justify it under oath. Make the minions fear for their freedom.

Offline GourmetDan

See that lowest point in the GOP's favorable line?

That was the shutdown.

The GOP took a huge shot in the face because of the shutdown.

Yeah, I always believe polls because they are so much harder to falsify than elections that there's really no need for elections.

Just use polls...   /s

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I believe the gain of at least getting everything on record and under oath, not just spin to the press, would be worth the risk. Make them justify it under oath. Make the minions fear for their freedom.

Agreed!  :patriot:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

So have I.

Offline EdinVA

Accepting reality and understanding that impeachment won't happen does not equate to throwing in the towel. You need to choose your battles intelligently, and that means not fighting battles you can't win.

Which battle would that be?
Executive amnesty?
Executive Firearm Control?
Executive modification of obamacare?
Executive orders to eliminate our borders?
IRS Targeting of non-liberal groups?
Violation of States Rights?