Author Topic: Thousands of Detainee Abuse Photos May Soon Be Made Public  (Read 1092 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Thousands of Detainee Abuse Photos May Soon Be Made Public
« on: December 15, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=613018

Newsmax
Thousands of Detainee Abuse Photos May Soon Be Made Public
Monday, December 15, 2014 08:28 AM

By: Drew MacKenzie

With the controversy surrounding the Senate’s torture report still raging, the Obama administration may face a new public and political outcry with the possible release this week of a trove of prisoner abuse photographs.

The government has been withholding possibly thousands of unclassified images of detainee abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2003 that resulted from 203 criminal investigations at the time into prisoner mistreatment, according to The Daily Beast.

The reportedly shocking pictures of U.S. troops abusing Iraqi and Afghan captives, said to number about 2,100, were taken during the Bush administration, but the President Barack Obama has kept them under wraps with the approval of Congress.

The Obama administration has been given a Friday deadline to tell a New York judge why each photograph should not be made available to the public.

The images allegedly show American troops posing with corpses, simulating forced sodomy, and holding guns to prisoners' heads. One photo shows American soldiers pointing a broom handle at a hooded detainee’s rectum, according to Vice News.

Hundreds of pictures were from the notorious Abu Ghraib detention facility, where U.S. troops abused Iraqi captives early in the Iraq War. The remaining photos surfaced after investigations into detainee abuse from across Iraq and Afghanistan, The Daily Beast reported.

The Freedom of Information Act case is part of the American Civil Liberties Union's (ACLU) long-running lawsuit against the U.S. government to allow documents about the treatment of detainees of the CIA and the military to be released to the public.

"We're not dismissive of the fact that some people could react badly to the publishing of the photographs," said the ACLU's Jameel Jaffer, who has led the decadelong fight with the government over the photos, the Daily Beast reported.

Jaffer acknowledged that there could be a violent reaction around the world to the photos from Muslims and terrorist organizations, but said that it was more important that the public was made fully aware of what happened to Iraqi and Afghan prisoners at the hands of the U.S. a decade ago.

"The public has a right to know what happened in these military detention facilities, in the same way it has a right to know about what happened at the CIA black sites."

In September, Vice News revealed that Department of Defense documents evaluating the images showed that there are three different categories of prisoner abuse — Category A: Will require explanation, egregious, iconic, dramatic; Category B: Likely to require explanation, injury or humiliation; and Category C: May require explanation, injury without context.

In 2008, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ordered the release of a small numbers of these pictures.

But the following year Obama refused to release the images, despite his promise of transparency during his administration, saying that it would endanger national security and the lives of US military personnel.

"The publication of these photos would not add any additional benefit to our understanding of what was carried out in the past by a small number of individuals," Obama said at the time.

"In fact, the most direct consequence of releasing them, I believe would be to further inflame anti-American opinion and to put our troops in greater danger."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Thousands of Detainee Abuse Photos May Soon Be Made Public
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:56:01 am »
[[ Thousands of Detainee Abuse Photos May Soon Be Made Public...]]

Hmmmm..... lemmmmeeeeseeee here....

If they're gonna make all those pics public, why not one or two of Osama bin Laden's body?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:57 am »
Well they didn't get the response they wanted from around the world...so they are going to incite them further with photos...that should do the trick..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:00:40 am »
Then the censored pictures of the bodies and the body parts splattered all over the streets and sidewalks of lower Manhattan should be released at the same time.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:16:50 am »
Bill O'Reilly cited two polls in which Americans favor so called "enhanced interrogation techniques" by a 2 to 1 margin.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »
Well they didn't get the response they wanted from around the world...so they are going to incite them further with photos...that should do the trick..
Yep. Now to release the photo of usamas bin ladens dead body.

Offline Millee

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:50:06 pm »
Suitable for framing??   :whistle:

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »
Suitable for framing??   :whistle:

I hope so.  Just in time for the holidays.  This could solve my last-minute Christmas giving conundrums.  They'd be perfect for my lib friends, if I had any.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:55:30 pm by massadvj »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:56:56 pm »
Like Nixon's WH tapes, I never understood why somebody didn't just destroy these pictures. 

If I were president, I would order them destroyed and take the consequences.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:57:22 pm »

You got it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:16:32 pm »
Well, my first thought was "send them all to me, I'm doing Christmas cards" but I see everyone has already posted that message.
Poor libs, they just can't get a break with their propaganda.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 07:16:59 pm »
Since the original "report" turned out he be a monetary and political lead balloon, I'm sure Msssssss Finklestein and the democrats will release pictures and maybe include Fat Fatima. :whistle:

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »
I’m trying my best to figure out what political purpose they would be pushing this so hard, unless it’s to “soften” the public’s attitude against closing GITMO .   The only thing its going to gain is a café massacre our own soil, and many more to follow.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:45 pm »
I’m trying my best to figure out what political purpose they would be pushing this so hard, unless it’s to “soften” the public’s attitude against closing GITMO .   The only thing its going to gain is a café massacre our own soil, and many more to follow.

I am more and more convinced that they want mass protests, homeland terrorist attacks, economic collapse and more!  Why?  Because they are sheer evil and chaos is evil.  If they can destroy America, the world will turn dark.  Everything they do enables this.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:29 pm »
I am more and more convinced that they want mass protests, homeland terrorist attacks, economic collapse and more!  Why?  Because they are sheer evil and chaos is evil.  If they can destroy America, the world will turn dark.  Everything they do enables this.

they need constant turmoil. It helps distract the masses.

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 08:56:36 pm »
Best explanation I've heard yet.
The Gruber Syndrome.
The ignorant masses are easily distracted and misled.  Then you can work all your mischief.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:29 pm »

Obama announced his non-existent EO on immigration just as the national debt went over $18T. So we spent all our time and energy discussing a fictitious issue while the real one slipped past us unnoticed.

Grubber is right.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
[[ Thousands of Detainee Abuse Photos May Soon Be Made Public...]]

Hmmmm..... lemmmmeeeeseeee here....

If they're gonna make all those pics public, why not one or two of Osama bin Laden's body?

I'm pretty sure Bin Laden is either still alive or was already dead. Everything about what happened when he was "killed" seemed sketchy.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 05:59:48 pm »
I'm pretty sure Bin Laden is either still alive or was already dead. Everything about what happened when he was "killed" seemed sketchy.

Exactly Dex!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 06:04:19 pm »
Exactly Dex!

I could be mistaken, but I remember people saying that his death photos were not made public so Muslims would not be offended. Well, I am pretty offended when extremists release VIDEO of my brothers and sisters being killed and tortured. It seems pretty bogus when there is not even one picture to confirm what they said they did.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline evadR

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 06:53:53 pm »
He's ALIVE Jim!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 01:52:53 am »
Then the censored pictures of the bodies and the body parts splattered all over the streets and sidewalks of lower Manhattan should be released at the same time.
I agree.  A dog barking at a detainee vs. human blood and gore on the sidewalk ... gee, it's tough to decide which is more horrible.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org