Author Topic: Obama: We didn’t mislead on health care  (Read 3256 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama: We didn’t mislead on health care
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:55:14 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/barack-obama-health-care-112930.html?cmpid=sf

Obama: We didn’t mislead on health care
By JOSH GERSTEIN 11/16/14 7:12 AM EST

BRISBANE, Australia — President Barack Obama denied Sunday that his signature health care reform law was deceptively marketed, rejecting statements by a consultant on the plan who said aspects of Obamacare were designed to take advantage of the “stupidity” of voters.

“The fact that an adviser who was never on our staff expressed an opinion that I completely disagree with in terms of the voters is not a reflection on the actual process that was run,” Obama declared at a press conference here, speaking for the first time about the comments by MIT economist Jonathan Gruber.

When the president was asked whether he had intentionally misled the public in order to get the law passed, he replied: “No. I did not.”
Obama said the notion that any provisions in the bill were hidden is absurd given the intensity of news coverage of the subject when the bill was being drafted and debated in Congress.

“I would just advise every press outlet here: Pull up every clip and every story. I think it’s fair to say there was not a provision in the health care law that was not extensively debated and was fully transparent,” the president declared. “It was a tough debate.”

While Gruber was not a staffer, he was a paid consultant whose models were used to help assess the impact of various policy changes being considered as part of health care legislation. Official logs show he visited the White House about a dozen times between 2009 and this year.

Despite Obama’s dismissive tone toward Gruber, the president has acknowledged that some of his own statements about the law were ill-advised, in particular his repeated promises that if Americans liked their health care plans they could keep them. In fact, many plans were deemed inadequate under the law, leading people to get notices that their plans were being canceled.

The question about Gruber was just a taste of the challenges Obama faces back home from newly ascendant Republicans, as they consider how to use control of both chambers of Congress to try to frustrate the president’s agenda on issues ranging from health care to climate change to immigration.

After a week in Asia and Australia, Obama preferred to focus on the achievements of his trip, which included a deal with China to limit greenhouse gas emissions and broader agreements to boost growth and limit corporate tax-avoidance schemes.

“If you asked me, I’d say that’s a pretty good week,” he told reporters at the conclusion of the final summit meeting — the so-called G20 meeting. “The American people can be proud of the progress that we’ve made. I intend to build on that momentum when I return home tomorrow.”

The problems awaiting Obama in Washington include the possibility of a government shutdown when current funding expires Dec. 11.

Conservative Republicans want to pass legislative provisions the president is sure to oppose, such as budget riders that would make it impossible for Obama to issue work permits as part of the executive actions on immigration he has promised to carry out.

Asked whether another shutdown could be in the offing, Obama noted that Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has appeared to rule it out.

“I take Mitch McConnell at his word when he says the government is not going to shut down,” Obama said, adding a blunt warning that such a move would direct voters’ ire at politicians of all stripes. “There’s no reason to shut down the government. We’ve traveled down that path before. It was bad for the country and bad for every elected official in Washington.”

The president did not say explicitly what he would do if faced with legislation that sought to block his planned actions on immigration, but he warned: “That’s not going to be productive.”

Instead, Obama urged Congress to pass an immigration reform bill that improves border security and provides a “pathway to citizenship” for many of those in the U.S. illegally.

“There is a very simple solution to this perception that somehow I’m exercising too much executive authority: Pass a bill I can sign on this issue,” the president said. “Give me a bill that addresses those issues, I’ll be the first one to sign it. And metaphorically I’ll crumple up whatever executive actions we will take and toss them in the waste basket because we will now have a law that addresses these issues.”

Obama declined to say whether he plans to act on immigration soon after getting back to Washington or whether he plans to wait until after Congress completes work on government funding.

I take Mitch McConnell at his word when he says the government is not going to shut down.”

The president also disputed assertions that he’s expanding presidential authority in areas like climate change, where he struck a deal with China last week to limit emissions.
“The record will show I have actually take fewer executive actions that my predecessors,” Obama said. “What I think has change is the reaction of some of my friends in Congress to exercising what are normally a frankly fairly typical exercise of presidential authority.”

While Obama said “nobody disputes” that he’s taken fewer executive actions, many experts say efforts to quantify executive orders, memoranda and regulatory actions are pointless because the categories are too malleable and each action can have impacts that range from trivial to enormous.

The president did concede that there’s nothing to prevent a future president from undoing any of his unilateral moves. “The very nature of executive authority means future presidents can reverse those actions,” he said.

Obama also discussed for the first time several discussions he had with Russian President Vladimir Putin both at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting in Beijing and here in Brisbane. The two men appear to have a frosty relationship and they held no formal talks, but instead engaged only in what the president called the conversations that occur “naturally” on the sidelines of summit meetings.

“I would characterize them as typical of our interactions which are businesslike and blunt,” Obama said.

However, while Obama aides suggested last week that new sanctions against Moscow were likely as a result of continue shipments of weapons into Ukraine, the president indicated Sunday that the current set of trade and financial restrictions are adequate.

“At this point, the sanctions that we have in place are biting plenty good,” the president said. But he added that his advisers are always looking at “mechanisms” to put more pressure on Russia over its actions in Ukraine.

Despite stepping back from talk of new sanctions, Obama implied that the movement of arms and personnel into Ukraine amounted to an invasion, although he stopped short of explicitly making that claim.

“We’re also very firm on the need to uphold core international principles,” the president said. “One of those principles is that you don’t invade other countries or finance proxies or support them in ways that break up a country that has mechanisms for democratic elections.”

On Syria, Obama denied that a broad review of U.S. policy is underway, saying that he holds weekly meetings with top military officials to refine the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

While Obama has previously flatly ruled having U.S. ground troops fighting in Iraq or Syria, he said Sunday that under certain extraordinary circumstances he might allow it. Asked about comments by Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey that he might recommend the use of ground troops, the president said that Dempsey was simply keeping open all possibilities.

Obama said his thinking on ground troops “has not changed currently,” but that if he “discovered that ISIL had gotten in its possession a nuclear weapon,” he would authorize ground troops to try to seize it.

“There are always circumstances under which the U.S. might need to deploy ground troops. … The question ends up being what are those circumstances” where ground troops might be necessary, the president said. “I’m not going to speculate on those.”

As he prepared to head home, Obama also reached across the Pacific for some good news. He said that the 2nd annual open enrollment period for Obamacare got underway Saturday with few signs of the problems that plagued the original roll-out over a year ago.

“So far, there were half a million successful log-ins on the first day. Healthcare.gov works really well now,” the president said. “There were 23,000 applications completed in just the first eight hours and tens of thousands more throughout the day. … Health care is working.”
I take Mitch McConnell at his word when he says the government is not going to shut down.”

The president also disputed assertions that he’s expanding presidential authority in areas like climate change, where he struck a deal with China last week to limit emissions.

“The record will show I have actually take fewer executive actions that my predecessors,” Obama said. “What I think has change is the reaction of some of my friends in Congress to exercising what are normally a frankly fairly typical exercise of presidential authority.”

While Obama said “nobody disputes” that he’s taken fewer executive actions, many experts say efforts to quantify executive orders, memoranda and regulatory actions are pointless because the categories are too malleable and each action can have impacts that range from trivial to enormous.

The president did concede that there’s nothing to prevent a future president from undoing any of his unilateral moves. “The very nature of executive authority means future presidents can reverse those actions,” he said.

Obama also discussed for the first time several discussions he had with Russian President Vladimir Putin both at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting in Beijing and here in Brisbane. The two men appear to have a frosty relationship and they held no formal talks, but instead engaged only in what the president called the conversations that occur “naturally” on the sidelines of summit meetings.

“I would characterize them as typical of our interactions which are businesslike and blunt,” Obama said.

However, while Obama aides suggested last week that new sanctions against Moscow were likely as a result of continue shipments of weapons into Ukraine, the president indicated Sunday that the current set of trade and financial restrictions are adequate.

“At this point, the sanctions that we have in place are biting plenty good,” the president said. But he added that his advisers are always looking at “mechanisms” to put more pressure on Russia over its actions in Ukraine.

Despite stepping back from talk of new sanctions, Obama implied that the movement of arms and personnel into Ukraine amounted to an invasion, although he stopped short of explicitly making that claim.

“We’re also very firm on the need to uphold core international principles,” the president said. “One of those principles is that you don’t invade other countries or finance proxies or support them in ways that break up a country that has mechanisms for democratic elections.”

On Syria, Obama denied that a broad review of U.S. policy is underway, saying that he holds weekly meetings with top military officials to refine the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

While Obama has previously flatly ruled having U.S. ground troops fighting in Iraq or Syria, he said Sunday that under certain
.extraordinary circumstances he might allow it. Asked about comments by Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey that he might recommend the use of ground troops, the president said that Dempsey was simply keeping open all possibilities.

Obama said his thinking on ground troops “has not changed currently,” but that if he “discovered that ISIL had gotten in its possession a nuclear weapon,” he would authorize ground troops to try to seize it.

“There are always circumstances under which the U.S. might need to deploy ground troops. … The question ends up being what are those circumstances” where ground troops might be necessary, the president said. “I’m not going to speculate on those.”

As he prepared to head home, Obama also reached across the Pacific for some good news. He said that the 2nd annual open enrollment period for Obamacare got underway Saturday with few signs of the problems that plagued the original roll-out over a year ago.

“So far, there were half a million successful log-ins on the first day. Healthcare.gov works really well now,” the president said. “There were 23,000 applications completed in just the first eight hours and tens of thousands more throughout the day. … Health care is working.”
Authors:

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/barack-obama-health-care-112930.html#ixzz3JEuaqcca
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:55:42 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Obama: We didn’t mislead on health care
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:58:58 pm »
Is this 'man' insane?

...rhetorically, of course.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 02:01:50 pm »
He's lost all credibility...no one believes anything he says anymore..he's a national joke..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:02:36 pm »
What he is is a CLASSIC narcissist! He can NEVER do any wrong!

Yes it is a form of insanity!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »
Jaw-dropping, isn't it?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:27:41 pm »
http://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-calls-the-architect-of-obamacare-some-advisor-who-never-worked-on-our-staff/
Obama Calls the Architect of Obamacare ‘Some Advisor Who Never Worked on Our Staff’

BY: Washington Free Beacon Staff
November 16, 2014 9:27 am

President Obama said Sunday that the architect of Obamacare, MIT professor Jonathan Gruber, was just “some advisor who was never on our staff.”

Jonathan Gruber was paid nearly $400,000 by the government for his role in helping craft the law.

Newly discovered comments made by Gruber in which he said the “stupidity of the American voter” was “critical” to passing Obamacare sparked a firestorm this past week.

When asked about the comments at the closing of the G20 summit, President Obama said, “The fact that some adviser who was never on our staff expressed an opinion that I completely disagree with in terms of the voters is not a reflection on the actual process that was run.”

Despite being awarded 2013′s Lie of the Year for saying “if you like your plan, you can keep it” hundreds of times, Obama also claimed that he never mislead Americans about the law.
Support the USO

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:31:03 pm »
I think he has lost all creditability IMHO.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline olde north church

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:52:21 pm »
I think he has lost all creditability IMHO.

I'll send ya a buck fifty.  Grab a cup of joe.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »
I'll send ya a buck fifty.  Grab a cup of joe.

000hehehehe
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »
Two more years of this guy in office may very translate to ten years of harm for the DNC.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:37 pm »
Two more years of this guy in office may very translate to ten years of harm for the DNC.

If it gets any worse, it'll trickle down to student councils.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 05:33:59 pm »
If it gets any worse, it'll trickle down to student councils.

The only thing that can ever defeat the theories of liberalism/progressivism in government is the reality of liberalism/progressivism in government.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

That is a good thing for us...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 05:56:46 pm »
That is the best we can hope for, I think. His double-down denial has to be rocking the psyche of the few reasonable Dems.

I suspect we will see more Dems like Joe Manchin distancing themselves from Obama. Maybe some will even abandon the SOB.
John Steinbeck

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:26 pm »
I suspect we will see more Dems like Joe Manchin distancing themselves from Obama. Maybe some will even abandon the SOB.

Won't be able to undo the chains fast enough.  They would have to be Houdini.

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 07:19:07 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:48 pm »

That would be a very good thing. Following the anti-war sixties, "liberal" became a bad word. Spitting on soldiers, etc.

Let's hope that Obama leaves a very bad legacy for them to try to run away from, and live down.

Obama: "If you like our lies, you can keep our lies."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 08:50:15 pm »
The only thing that can ever defeat the theories of liberalism/progressivism in government is the reality of liberalism/progressivism in government.

Well said!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:31 pm »

A modicum of help from the MSM wouldn't hurt.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 10:16:57 pm »
Allowing the Obama administration to destroy our way of life and our country....just so somebody can say, "See?  I told you so!" ??

Are 'you' all insane?

There's a reason Impeachment is written in our laws to remove a cancerous tumor.  It's so the 'cancer' doesn't kill you.

What a lot of you are espousing is no different that some parents with religious beliefs who choose to NOT medicate or seek a doctor's help to save their child...instead putting ALL their faith in "God".

it makes me want to puke.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 10:23:25 pm »

Your lips

God's ear

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 10:28:33 pm »

And possibly, generations of pain and misery for Americans and citizens throughout the world.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 10:35:07 pm »
Love your passion DCP. The journey during the next 2 years will be perilous.  I hope "our" representative government chooses wisely.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:25 pm »
Love your passion DCP. The journey during the next 2 years will be perilous.  I hope "our" representative government chooses wisely.

Lando....my POV is from that of a maligned party...a maligned Conservative ideology.

The People elected Republicans on the 4th of November to get all of us out of this nightmare.  It was a liberal slaughter on virtually every level.

If the Republican Party has to be the platoon ordered to take "Suicide Hill"....so be it.

As Todd Beamer said one day....."Let's Roll!".

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 11:36:36 pm »
Allowing the Obama administration to destroy our way of life and our country....just so somebody can say, "See?  I told you so!" ??

Are 'you' all insane?

There's a reason Impeachment is written in our laws to remove a cancerous tumor.  It's so the 'cancer' doesn't kill you.

What a lot of you are espousing is no different that some parents with religious beliefs who choose to NOT medicate or seek a doctor's help to save their child...instead putting ALL their faith in "God".

it makes me want to puke.

I am with you 100% on this DC.

I think it is because people don't realize that any of their "models" or historical observations from the past are not relevant.  Comparing the attempted impeachment of Clinton and its resultant fallout to today's situation is an exercise in futility, at best.  The damage that has been done already (most of which has not even surfaced at this point, think ACA & Dodd-Frank), coupled with what is coming over the next two years, can not be compared to any prior regime, even Wilson, FDR, & Johnson.

It is insanity, but not many people can realize at the moment.  It is akin to allowing a mass murderer to continue to wreak havoc and slaughter more and more of your citizens every month, and standing on the sidelines saying, "Look, he is wearing his uniform so everyone will know who is perpetrating this slaughter and no one will "like" his team for many many years!!"   Golly gee, ain't that freakin' fantastic!!!  Delusional is the kindest term I can use.

SMH (and puking right alongside of you, just don't get any on my shoes, there are new!!)