Author Topic: Please Make this Stop Mr. President!  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Concerned

Please Make this Stop Mr. President!
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:17 pm »
I just saw Chief of Staff Kelly out attempting to defend Trump’s call to Sgt. La David Johnson’s family while also attacking the Congresswoman who was in the car with the widow.  It was heartbreaking for me to watch his lip seem to quiver as he described when he got the call about the death of his own son.  This politicization of something so sacred really needs to stop.  It seems like the President could help defuse this latest battle involving a Gold Star family by simply being gracious and yes, by being Presidential, and issuing a statement along these lines: 

During my call with the family of American hero, Sgt. Johnson, I tried to express my appreciation for the courage Sgt. Johnson exhibited when he signed up for such a dangerous profession.  If I said anything during that call, to offend or appear to disrespect Sgt. Johnson or his family, I sincerely apologize, and that was clearly not my intention.  The nation treasures it’s fallen heroes and the sacrifice made by each of their families.

I don’t believe for a second that the President intended to offend or disrespect this serviceman or his family, but this is now spiraling out of political control.  Please Mr. President, if you’re capable of taking the high road (and it doesn't matter who started what), for the sake of Gold Star families everywhere including your own Chief of Staff, now’s the time.  Put an end to this, PLEASE!!
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Re: Please Make this Stop Mr. President!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:48 am »
I agree with you completely. I don't believe Trump intended to insult this fallen hero either but he has made the entire situation much worse. Making a statement like you suggested would help to put this issue to rest without fanning the flames further.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:33:08 am »
I agree with you completely. I don't believe Trump intended to insult this fallen hero either but he has made the entire situation much worse. Making a statement like you suggested would help to put this issue to rest without fanning the flames further.

Or maybe just say nothing.  This congresswoman is now being widely discredited for a number of reasons including her consistent failure to support the military in all of her votes.

I would just ignore her.  I hope Trump can.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:30 am »
Or maybe just say nothing.  This congresswoman is now being widely discredited for a number of reasons including her consistent failure to support the military in all of her votes.

Yep, she disgraces a fallen American Hero... for far left democrat purpose. As well as manipulating the grieving mother...shame shame shame.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:55:01 am »
Good post Concerned, I completly agree.

I am going to move this to opinions....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 01:57:40 am »
    Trump should have learned from his first run-in with an overly political Gold Star Family during the primaries, it's what they do.
    It surprises me the man can still walk with all those bullet holes in his feet as opposed to him always stepping on his wanker thought.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:09:44 am »

But then again, this is what we've seen time and time again with Trump.   He brings out the worst in Liberals for all to see.    Some might not be comfortable with this,  but I think it's something that needed to happen.  Bush gave them credibility by never fighting back.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:13:59 am »
The congresswoman has said she's going to drop this issue and won't continue.

To me, it sounded like this matter is "closed" if that is possible.

There are other issues to be concerned with.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 11:06:16 am »
The congresswoman has said she's going to drop this issue and won't continue.

To me, it sounded like this matter is "closed" if that is possible.

There are other issues to be concerned with.

Not yet closed for the President.  He tweeted this at 10:53 last night:

“The Fake News is going crazy with wacky Congresswoman Wilson(D), who was SECRETLY on a very personal call, and gave a total lie on content!”

The President could help put this to bed with a statement like that proposed in the OP.  Instead, he won't let this go and is continuing to attack the congresswoman who now will probably respond in kind.  And the cycle continues, and instead of honoring Gold Star families and their sacrifice, we've got petty bickering going on.  Jeez.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/20/trump-media-going-crazy-with-wilsons-total-lie-about-phone-call.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:12:36 am by Concerned »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:15 am »

The President could help put this to bed with a statement like that proposed in the OP.  Instead, he won't let this go and is continuing to attack the congresswoman who now will probably respond in kind.  And the cycle continues, and instead of honoring Gold Star families and their sacrifice, we've got petty bickering going on. 

Well, that was fast:  I just saw Congresswoman Wilson on CNN striking back against both Kelly and President Trump.  Next up in the cycle will probably be the President with tweet attacking the Congresswoman yet again. 

Rest In Peace Sgt. Johnson (if you can with all this nonsense going on).  You're still an American hero even if it might feel as if you're a pawn in a sick political game between petty children.  Sad.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:13 am »
Well, that was fast:  I just saw Congresswoman Wilson on CNN striking back against both Kelly and President Trump.  Next up in the cycle will probably be the President with tweet attacking the Congresswoman yet again. 

Rest In Peace Sgt. Johnson (if you can with all this nonsense going on).  You're still an American hero even if it might feel as if you're a pawn in a sick political game between petty children.  Sad.

Forgotten in this, Sgt. Johnson’s grieving widow who has so far made no public statement and their 3 children, one not yet born and now without a father.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:59:03 am »
I do see Representative Frederica Wilson is now saying General Kelly lied from the podium.

It was reported earlier she was dropping the matter.

A lot of stories left in this apparently.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 12:02:43 pm »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 06:57:19 pm »
Sadly, the President just can't let this go.  Yet another tweet.  This one with video from Fox News condemning the politicization of all this, which seems to have started by Trump comparing what he does for the fallen versus what his predecessors did.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/921443729990397952

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »
Sadly, the President just can't let this go.  Yet another tweet.  This one with video from Fox News condemning the politicization of all this, which seems to have started by Trump comparing what he does for the fallen versus what his predecessors did.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/921443729990397952

He can't/won't let go because he thinks he has the upper hand. When he doesn't perceive that he's winning, he doubles down until he wears the opponent out.

IOW, this story's not going away...regrettably.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 09:12:47 pm »
I'm slightly conflicted on this one.  Trump should act presidentially and shouldn't help politicize a military death.  But, Ms. Wilson needs to be horsewhipped (figuratively of course) and he is pretty effectively doing that.  Got to stop letting the left control the narrative. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 01:50:52 am »
Sanguine observed:
"But, Ms. Wilson needs to be horsewhipped (figuratively of course) and he is pretty effectively doing that.  Got to stop letting the left control the narrative."

EXACTLY.

This is called FIGHTING BACK.

You can't win against the left and democrat-communists unless and UNTIL you FIGHT BACK.

Keep at it, Mr. Trump!

We'll know who's won when the leftist toady media drops the subject!

Offline Concerned

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 01:59:34 am »
Sanguine observed:
"But, Ms. Wilson needs to be horsewhipped (figuratively of course) and he is pretty effectively doing that.  Got to stop letting the left control the narrative."

EXACTLY.

This is called FIGHTING BACK.

You can't win against the left and democrat-communists unless and UNTIL you FIGHT BACK.

Keep at it, Mr. Trump!

We'll know who's won when the leftist toady media drops the subject!

The President can honor and respect the process of interacting with Gold Star families or he can use it in a petty fight “against the left and democratic-communists” but he can’t do both IMO.  It’s truly heartbreaking to me that it’s somehow become acceptable to use interactions with Gold Star families as pawns in a Presidential fight. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:47:36 am by Concerned »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 02:34:13 am »
The President can honor and respect the process of nteracting with Gold Star families or he can use it in a petty fight “against the left and democratic-communists” but he can’t do both IMO.  It’s truly heartbreaking to me that it’s somehow become acceptable to use interactions with Gold Star families as pawns in a Presidential fight.

Can you please explain to me why the President shouldn't interact with the families of those who have given ther lives for this country?  I simply can't get my mind around that idea!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:34:53 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 11:51:01 am »
Can you please explain to me why the President shouldn't interact with the families of those who have given ther lives for this country?  I simply can't get my mind around that idea!

I've never heard anyone say "the President shouldn't interact with the families of those who have given their lives for this country".  I certainly never have that's for sure.  I think letters to the families from this President would be his best means of communicating with the recently fallen and would encourage him to use those in the future.  After a respectful period of time after the loss, I would also encourage meeting with families at the White House.  I certainly think the President should interact with families, and don't believe I've ever said otherwise (if so, kindly let me know where).

What I do object to is the President and the Congresswoman politicizing the process of interaction between the President and the families.  This, of course, started with the President apparently trying to build himself up by claiming that he did something with Gold Star families his predecessors didn't and then it spiraled out of control from there with claims and counterclaims and denials and fresh attacks.  Apparently some people want to encourage this politicization of interaction with Gold Star families.  I certainly don't.  I find it distasteful. 

Interaction between the President and Gold Star families is good and I encourage it.  Attempting to leverage that process for some personal or political gain is bad IMO, and I discourage that.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 12:18:27 pm »
I've never heard anyone say "the President shouldn't interact with the families of those who have given their lives for this country".  I certainly never have that's for sure.  I think letters to the families from this President would be his best means of communicating with the recently fallen and would encourage him to use those in the future.  After a respectful period of time after the loss, I would also encourage meeting with families at the White House.  I certainly think the President should interact with families, and don't believe I've ever said otherwise (if so, kindly let me know where).

What I do object to is the President and the Congresswoman politicizing the process of interaction between the President and the families.  This, of course, started with the President apparently trying to build himself up by claiming that he did something with Gold Star families his predecessors didn't and then it spiraled out of control from there with claims and counterclaims and denials and fresh attacks.  Apparently some people want to encourage this politicization of interaction with Gold Star families.  I certainly don't.  I find it distasteful. 

Interaction between the President and Gold Star families is good and I encourage it.  Attempting to leverage that process for some personal or political gain is bad IMO, and I discourage that.

It started IMHO with people like you who simply MUST pick at every little nit that comes along where THIS president is concerned. 

I personally think that the phone calls are an EXCELLENT, and perfectly appropriate, idea  I also STONGLY suspect that the vast majority of those who have received them would very much agree with me!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:21:05 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 12:30:07 pm »
It started IMHO with people like you who simply MUST pick at every little nit that comes along where THIS president is concerned. 

I personally think that the phone calls are an EXCELLENT, and perfectly appropriate, idea  I also STONGLY suspect that the vast majority of those who have received them would very much agree with me!

Since you think "people like (me)" "pick at every little nit that comes along where THIS president is concerned", let me see if you'll answer a question.  When I post something like the below (which I did this week), am I "pick(ing) at every little nit" or am I actually giving the President credit for something? 

I think Trump deserves all the credit in the world for freeing up our military to truly go after ISIS.  I think he's proven what many of us suspected: that the Rules of Engagement placed upon our military under Obama was too stringent and too restrictive for them to truly to successful.  Good for him!

I try to debate and disagree over substance without personal attacks against the person disagreeing with me.  I'm not always successful, but I always try.  I encourage others to also.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 12:41:55 pm »
Since you think "people like (me)" "pick at every little nit that comes along where THIS president is concerned", let me see if you'll answer a question.  When I post something like the below (which I did this week), am I "pick(ing) at every little nit" or am I actually giving the President credit for something? 

I try to debate and disagree over substance without personal attacks against the person disagreeing with me.  I'm not always successful, but I always try.  I encourage others to also.

You're right and I apologize for my choice of words so early this morning.  I should have said "some people" (mainly in the media) instead of "people like you"  and I apologize for my error.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
You're right and I apologize for my choice of words so early this morning.  I should have said "some people" (mainly in the media) instead of "people like you"  and I apologize for my error.

888high58888

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 01:36:59 pm »
This "incident" shouldn't even have to be explained at this point in time of Trump's presidency...but I'll explain it anyway so that the Trump bashers will fully understand that their wrath towards Trump is unwarranted in this matter.

First of all, we all know that Frederica Wilson is a bizarre leftist with blind hate for the Republican Party and white people. So of course her remarks about Trump are going to be nothing but spin and lies.

Most importantly, even Trump's opponents do say, that Trump in private is a consummate gentleman, one of the best. A businessman building magnificent buildings around the world could not possibly accomplish that feat without acting that way towards those he needs to influence to get the projects completed. This is also illustrated in the remarkably fine family that he has. Donald Trump would never be disrespectful to a fallen soldier's family in any way, shape, or form.

That being said, there is no doubt whatsoever that Trump was being kind and considerate to this person's aunt, who raised the fallen hero Sgt. La David T. Johnson.

Is there really any question that Johnson's aunt is a Democrat who loathes Donald Trump? Of course there is no question about that. She either took Trump's comments out of context, or spun his comments in a negative way, which frankly, is quite despicable on her part.

It is Frederica Wilson and Johnson's aunt who should be the ones called out on this, not Trump...for their obnoxious behavior of inciting a problem when none actually existed. Using a recently fallen hero for their political purposes...quite shameful.