Author Topic: House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami  (Read 24019 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami
« Reply #525 on: August 03, 2019, 11:48:53 pm »
I'll comment on any thread that I damn well please. 

And I'll call a spade a spade any time that I damn well please.

That is the right of everyone else on this forum as well.

My only point.

No need to have a hissy fit.  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #526 on: August 03, 2019, 11:56:06 pm »

You are dreaming. About Cruz,anyway. I have forgotten what I knew about Castle,but I do remember Cruz is too smart and practical to fulfill your dreams,even if I don't  trust him very much.

Politics is the art of the possible,and you have to get elected before you can do anything.

@sneakypete

Yeah, bullcrap. If we don't start looking for statesmanship instead of politics, we're already done.

Duhhhh,you are coming on here every day ranting and raving about how much our politicians suck because they never do the right thing,and now you are bitching because I ask you what the right thing is and who would do it?

No, you asked me what I personally am going to do instead of joining your pathetic club.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #527 on: August 04, 2019, 12:12:53 am »
@sneakypete

No, you asked me what I personally am going to do instead of joining your pathetic club.

@roamer_1

Good to know that's how you feel about Americans who refuse to follow your quixotic brand of politics.

People like you would rather lose than be proven wrong.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #528 on: August 04, 2019, 12:35:49 am »
Good to know that's how you feel about Americans who refuse to follow your quixotic brand of politics.

Right. They look just like Democrats.

People like you would rather lose than be proven wrong.

If I am wrong, I will freely admit it - and have done so here publicly before.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #529 on: August 04, 2019, 12:50:40 am »

If I am wrong, I will freely admit it - and have done so here publicly before.

I doubt anyone here would get any joy in proving you "wrong", @roamer_1 .    Politics is about recruiting people to join a cause, a fight.  In this case, a fight that takes the form of an election with a binary choice.   It is unfortunate that you choose to withdraw from this fight; there are those, with much invested, who are disappointed.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #530 on: August 04, 2019, 01:15:43 am »
I doubt anyone here would get any joy in proving you "wrong", @roamer_1 .    Politics is about recruiting people to join a cause, a fight.  In this case, a fight that takes the form of an election with a binary choice.   It is unfortunate that you choose to withdraw from this fight; there are those, with much invested, who are disappointed.   

The math, @Jazzhead , is simple, and the customer is always right.
What I am looking for is plainly declared, and should be no surprise.
What I am being sold is the direct polar opposite.

The cause you describe is not my own, having not a single particle of what I want, and I have no idea why folks think they can shove it down my throat anyway, and make me like it.

Convince me of the rectitude of your position. I will listen. You of all people should know that - We have gone around and around, you and me, but I have not been afraid to stand with you, on the record, when I believe your point is right.

I am neither close-minded, nor invincibly biased. But those principled truths that I rely upon come with me... If you want my vote, and my effort, and my treasure, and my blood, those true things must necessarily be present. That's what I am buying.

Show me they are there and I will gladly join with you and fight to the very death, like I did for the TEA party, and many a cause in the same vein.

But they are not, and therein lies the problem.

Online libertybele

« Reply #531 on: August 04, 2019, 01:23:49 am »
Recipe has been in my family for generations...but ever since I was young, the one thing people said was that they wished they had more of the sauce for putting over mashed potatoes, and/or the slice of meatloaf.

It does evaporate off during the 90 + minutes in the roaster.

So, I always DOUBLE it (4 cups of Heintz ketchup to 8 cups of water).

:laugh:

And why not "freeze" one of them?  You won't regret it.    :beer:

Freeze one --- geez -- why didn't I think of that?   happy77  Thanks for the recipe @DCPatriot
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #532 on: August 04, 2019, 08:35:34 am »
@Smokin Joe

I understand your arguments about gun control,although if it were legal and you offered me a free one,I have no use for or desire to own a full-auto weapon. I like to put each bullet where I want it to go. Yes,they are useful in combat assaults by  massed troops or in an ambush situation,but I can't see me ever going on an assault again or ambush again.

As for the rest of it,you are placing too much emphasis on Republicans. Or more accurately,alleged Republicans. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Focus on tossing any alleged Republicans out of office in your local and state races,and THEN focus on the nationals.

BUT........ Do NOT focus on them exclusively. Focus on them at the same time you focus on getting the local and state Dims tossed out on the street.

The real problem is when it comes to the career politicians,there is damn little difference these days between the two at the national level. They have made and are making so many back room deals to help out each other and their relatives,they might as well be in the same party.

But know one thing to be a fact. If you aren't a party member and voting in all the local,state,and federal elections,you are doing nothing but committing political masturbation. It might feel good,but it ain't the same thing and nothing will come from it.
@sneakypete  While I am with you on the whole idea of making each shot count, it is the idea that I'm being told that I can't. An AK-47 is available in most of the world's markets for a few hundred at most (less than many AR-15 semi autos in the US today), but one here costs as much (or more) as a good used Harley. Legal, transferable, class III AK 47s run from $8500 to $13,000 in the US, putting them well out of the price range of the average enthusiast. As for stoner variants, pre 1986, fuhgeddaboutit! The only variant i saw for sale is a mere $23K. For that kind of change, I can get a Barrett, optics, ammo, and enough trick stuff to keep me out on the range and out of range.

These (Class III) prices are artificially high because only police and military can have ones made after 1986. Republicans signed off on that.

Considering I have no criminal record, I have been background checked, etc, have a CCW, it would not be like it was being sold to some maniac. But the machinations (in this case, of Republicans) have ensured the only likely way I'd ever own one is to inherit it.

That's like saying sure, you can own a car, and putting the base level Yugo at 50K.

Now, I know full well what the Democrats would do to our RKBA, just for starters, and I use that as an example because it's plain enough what the founders meant, and it is a Right they fully intended to keep uninfringed. But when the guard dogs are off making puppies with the coyotes, the henhouse of our Rights is in serious trouble. And that's what I'm seeing.

What I have yet to witness is the reverse--that for all the ballyhoo about Civil Rights, this is one that is on the table, a small slice at a time, early in the election cycle (just after swearing in) so people will gloss over the fact they've been robbed again in the face of the looting and burning the other side threatens. Even the AWB died an organic death, victim of its own sunset clause, not a legislative reversal.

I'm not buying the BS. I refuse to send a nickel to a Party that didn't even let me vote in a Presidential Primary last time around.

I see them as similarly bad in that they have continually failed to live up to their promises, have failed to safeguard my Rights, Tax me even more than Obama did, dollar for dollar of income (by removing deductions for expenses integral to my making a living), and so seldom represent me it isn't funny.

WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed,
A relative signed that document, the only Catholic to do so.

To vote for anything that goes against that is to consent.
I ain't gonna.
I will vote for someone I find more credible who is more aligned with my principles.

Now, I'm just using the RKBA because it affects us all.

When I was a kid, the Riparian Rights from the original colonial land grant applied. We didn't need a license to fish, crab, clam or oyster, in effect, we owned the river bottom to the center of the channel (about a mile offshore). Then the Gubmint decreed it was all theirs, with great approval from the masses. That beach that was part of our front yard suddenly became "public property", with all the drunks, litter, and other not so pleasant things that come with that. We had to buy licenses to fish, even just for our own use.

We still paid taxes at a horrendous rate, more than folks with property on the state roads, and it didn't cost the State a nickel to put that river in.

Needless to say, we never received a dime of compensation for the robbery. But things that look good to the masses and F*** over the individual have become the stock in trade of government. It is only a matter of time until all are affected, each in their own way.
So, those who are reticent or reluctant to embrace the protection of my (our) fundamental Rights are off my dance card, I really don't care what labels they want to wear in the political arena.
Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:09:10 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2019, 01:07:03 pm »
@sneakypete   

These (Class III) prices are artificially high because only police and military can have ones made after 1986. Republicans signed off on that.

@Smokin Joe

True. Yeah,most of the pols voting and pushing for it were Dims,but they could have never gotten the law passed without help from the alleged Republicans.

Considering I have no criminal record, I have been background checked, etc, have a CCW, it would not be like it was being sold to some maniac. But the machinations (in this case, of Republicans) have ensured the only likely way I'd ever own one is to inherit it.

IF this is important to you,you might want to check on that one. It is PROBABLY dependent on where you live and the results of a brand new background check. I have no doubt that is some locations the locals might use this as an excuse to deny you the squirt gun,and then use that as a basis to take away your CCW permit.

Remember,this stuff has NOTHING to do with being fair,and everything to do with "the law". "The Law" is anything the locals want it to be unless you have enough money to fight it in court to the point where the public money they spend to screw up becomes public,and an issue when an election is coming up.

We all KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that "the law" in this and every other country is dependent on who you are,your political connections,and how much money you have. For example,one of Ted Kennedy's bodyguards got caught carrying a full-auto Uzi under his coat while screwing up and trying to go through the public entrance. Yes,he WAS briefly detained and the Uzi was taken from him,but after one phone call he was released,had the Uzi returned to him,and IIRC,they even apologized for detaining him.

What do you think the odds are of this happening if it had been either thee or me?

When I was a kid, the Riparian Rights from the original colonial land grant applied. We didn't need a license to fish, crab, clam or oyster, in effect, we owned the river bottom to the center of the channel (about a mile offshore).

That is the first I ever heard of this,and my family were commercial fishermen going back to the 1700's. My very first job was as the only deckhand on my uncle's 38 foot shimp boat the summer I was 13.

Then the Gubmint decreed it was all theirs, with great approval from the masses. That beach that was part of our front yard suddenly became "public property", with all the drunks, litter, and other not so pleasant things that come with that.

The beaches,up to the high water tide mark ARE public property. Deal with it.

We had to buy licenses to fish, even just for our own use.

I can never remember a time when we didn't,but then again,nobody in my family ever had to go to a market to buy seafood. We damn sure had to have commercial fishing licenses,though.

We still paid taxes at a horrendous rate, more than folks with property on the state roads, and it didn't cost the State a nickel to put that river in.

What was keeping you from selling for a big profit and buying cheaper land that didn't have river frontage?

Needless to say, we never received a dime of compensation for the robbery.

Nor should you have received any compensation. You are just pissed because you weren't allowed to charge the public to use the beachfront near your property. What next,you going to claim you owned the water half-way to the next continent?

Online libertybele

« Reply #534 on: August 04, 2019, 04:38:03 pm »
Back on the topic of GOP fears retirement and in reading posts about those who don't want to vote Trump I would like to make one final comment; not to persuade anyone one way or the other as I believe we should all vote our conscience, but something that I reflect on from time to time.  Like him or not President Donald J. Trump has brought a sense of patriotism to this country.  Patriotism that was certainly absent during the Bammy's 8 year reign of terror.  The President's pre-inaugural celebration brought tears to my eyes.  We have a President that no longer apologizes for the greatness of America.  His fourth of July celebration was criticized!  Criticized for celebrating the freedom of this nation. Yes, by all means vote your conscience.

He deserves absolute credit for this and a huge pat on the back!  U.S.A.  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvg7KRZqco

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Pwq0h_HBU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDPkVGPi0A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUEwObOaVU
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:39:42 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #535 on: August 04, 2019, 09:19:07 pm »
@Smokin Joe

True. Yeah,most of the pols voting and pushing for it were Dims,but they could have never gotten the law passed without help from the alleged Republicans.

IF this is important to you,you might want to check on that one. It is PROBABLY dependent on where you live and the results of a brand new background check. I have no doubt that is some locations the locals might use this as an excuse to deny you the squirt gun,and then use that as a basis to take away your CCW permit.

Remember,this stuff has NOTHING to do with being fair,and everything to do with "the law". "The Law" is anything the locals want it to be unless you have enough money to fight it in court to the point where the public money they spend to screw up becomes public,and an issue when an election is coming up.

We all KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that "the law" in this and every other country is dependent on who you are,your political connections,and how much money you have. For example,one of Ted Kennedy's bodyguards got caught carrying a full-auto Uzi under his coat while screwing up and trying to go through the public entrance. Yes,he WAS briefly detained and the Uzi was taken from him,but after one phone call he was released,had the Uzi returned to him,and IIRC,they even apologized for detaining him.

What do you think the odds are of this happening if it had been either thee or me?
To be honest, I use it as an example because it is a good one. If I ever decide I want something full auto, I'll build it, and the means to keep it quiet as well, but having that just isn't high on my list of things to do. I don't like the loss of the ability to exercise the Right, whether I choose to exercise the Right or not. Part of freedom is the ability to choose, so like being told you can't go someplace you might never have any intention to go, being told I can't have something doesn't sit well with me.
That is the first I ever heard of this,and my family were commercial fishermen going back to the 1700's. My very first job was as the only deckhand on my uncle's 38 foot shimp boat the summer I was 13.

The beaches,up to the high water tide mark ARE public property. Deal with it.
Be enlightened.
Well, they are now, by decree, but at the time of the land grant (1641, MD), the grantee owned the bottom of the river to the center of the channel the land adjacent, and the beaches, too. (Maryland colony).
When I was a kid, you still had to have a license for commercial fishing (I held one at 14), but non-commercially, for you and yours, none was required, about like any landowner having gratis permits for hunting the deer on their property.
Even today, some Native tribes exert their Riparian Rights over stretches of River, and there has been conflict with the Army Corps of Engineers over it, but the tribes prevailed where there was tribal land on both sides of the river. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/reservations.html

What was keeping you from selling for a big profit and buying cheaper land that didn't have river frontage?

Why do Jews and Arabs fight over some crappy patch of desert?

Your people become connected to the land. The land has been in the family for going on 400 years (378, to be exact). I filled hay barns there that were built before the Civil War (the Yankees didn't burn them all). It was ours before any of these various governments existed. We grew up on the river, it was our home, our ancestors are buried there, the roots are deep, and if I have to explain beyond that, you wouldn't understand.
Nor should you have received any compensation. You are just pissed because you weren't allowed to charge the public to use the beachfront near your property. What next,you going to claim you owned the water half-way to the next continent?
There was no claim beyond the property lines projected to the center of the main channel, which was the law then. No one owned the water, just the right to fish in it, or harvest oysters from the beds. THis was an extension of the common law, from colonial times, when the original grant to Cornelius Calvert, Lord Baltimore, included the bottoms of those estuaries and rivers, some 1.6 million acres. This was snatched by a court decision in 1971.
At this point, I'd be satisfied for the family to have the mineral rights (subsurface), not that there will be any drilling there any time soon. There was an exploration well drilled about 20 miles away on the Virginia side (Near Colonial Beach, 1980s), looking for natural gas, but subsequent drilling was shut down by envirowhackos, despite some incredible environmental safeguards taken. 

We never charged anyone to use any of the mile or so of riverfront in (extended) family hands, if they asked. No way we'd make some commercialized sh*tshow out of our front yards, either. There are those who have Marinas and such in the area, and that is fine for them. The Potomac estuaries aren't the best place to swim nowadays, anyway (it was far better when I was a kid). https://wtvr.com/2019/07/27/man-with-simple-cut-says-he-contracted-flesh-eating-bacteria/ No surprise, the 'Swamp' is upriver, and what drains from that has only gotten nastier.
If you want to get all 'beachy', better to go to the coast and play in the ocean.
Keep in mind we've been there for 17, 18 generations. It is ours.

But try pulling your boat up on the Kennedy's beaches and having a hot dog roast.
Why are they any different?

Suppose you took the same attitude toward someone who has a farm.
After all, people should be able to camp anywhere, right?
"This land is your land, this land is my land", right?
How about in your wheat field? Maybe in the corn crop?
I wouldn't have had that sh*tshow in my front yard for all the tea in China.
I just hated cleaning up used diapers and broken glass, and all the rest of the trash those liberal 'share the land types' left behind.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:24:09 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2019, 09:34:39 pm »
There are no "Socialists", no "Progressives", only Communists, with every negative image that totalitarianism might muster, demanding fealty and conformity to their views, with a legacy of 150,000,000 dead and counting.

:yowsa:  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #537 on: August 05, 2019, 01:12:05 am »

Well, they are now, by decree, but at the time of the land grant (1641, MD), the grantee owned the bottom of the river to the center of the channel the land adjacent, and the beaches, too. (Maryland colony).

@Smokin Joe

Joe,that was before America even existed as a country,and the land grants were granted by the King of England.

When we became America and Americans,we established our own laws,most of which were designed to be fair tot he average citizen who was no longer a subject. Which meant Americans couldn't prevent Americans from enjoying the public property that was a public beach.

When I was a kid, you still had to have a license for commercial fishing (I held one at 14), but non-commercially, for you and yours, none was required, about like any landowner having gratis permits for hunting the deer on their property.

I am fairly certain that farmers even today can kill deer out of season in order to protect their crops. The typical landowner in suburban whatever obviously can't be hauling out his 300 Winchest Magnum to shoot the deer eating his wife's flowers,though. The difference is the amount of danger the public is exposed to.

Why do Jews and Arabs fight over some crappy patch of desert?

Because it's traditional and force of habit.

At this point, I'd be satisfied for the family to have the mineral rights (subsurface), not that there will be any drilling there any time soon. There was an exploration well drilled about 20 miles away on the Virginia side (Near Colonial Beach, 1980s), looking for natural gas, but subsequent drilling was shut down by envirowhackos, despite some incredible environmental safeguards taken.

I don't even know enough about the pros and cons of that to guess which side I would come down on,but I tend to THINK I would be with the landowners.

But try pulling your boat up on the Kennedy's beaches and having a hot dog roast.
Why are they any different?

They own the local and state politicians.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #538 on: August 05, 2019, 02:29:52 am »
@sneakypete Riparian Rights, granted by the Crown of England with the land grants were repealed by judicial edict in.....1971. Three Hundred and thirty years later.
Yep, our ownership antedated that by a considerable amount of time, just as it antedated any of the governments claiming sway.

C S Lewis