Corporation for Public Broadcasting announces it will shut down after Trump, Congress cut funding
CPB allocated funding to NPR, PBS for decades
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn Fox News
Published August 1, 2025 3:53pm EDT
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) announced it will be shutting down operations after Congress pulled its funding at the direction of President Donald Trump.
In a press release Friday, the CPB said it would begin "an orderly wind-down of its operations following the passage of a federal rescissions package" last month.
"For nearly 60 years, CPB has carried out its Congressional mission to build and sustain a trusted public media system that informs, educates, and serves communities across the country," CPB said in its statement. "Through partnerships with local stations and producers, CPB has supported educational content, locally relevant journalism, emergency communications, cultural programming, and essential services for Americans in every community."
CPB President and CEO Patricia Harrison said "we now face the difficult reality of closing our operations" despite efforts to salvage funding for public media.
CPB employees were informed that most of their positions will conclude at the close of the fiscal year at the end of September.
"Public media has been one of the most trusted institutions in American life, providing educational opportunity, emergency alerts, civil discourse, and cultural connection to every corner of the country," Harrison said in her statement. "We are deeply grateful to our partners across the system for their resilience, leadership, and unwavering dedication to serving the American people."
more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/corporation-public-broadcasting-announces-shut-down-after-trump-congress-cut-funding