Author Topic: Sunak’s plan to make 18-year-olds do national service grabs attention on UK election trail  (Read 285 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
LONDON -- All 18-year-olds in Britain will have to perform a year of mandatory military or civilian national service if the governing Conservative Party wins the July 4 national election, the party said Sunday.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak pledged to bring back a form of national service for the first time in more than 60 years, seeking to energize his election campaign after a faltering start.

The U.K. introduced military conscription for men and some women during World War II, and imposed 18 months of mandatory military service for men between 1947 and 1960. Since then Britain has had an all-volunteer military whose size has steadily shrunk.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/sunaks-plan-make-18-year-olds-national-service-110569987
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Do the Brits really want all those young muslim males in the UK learning actual military skills, courtesy of their own government...?

This is gonna turn around to bite 'em in the future.

But since WWII the Brits haven't acted with much common sense, anyway.

Offline berdie

Do the Brits really want all those young muslim males in the UK learning actual military skills, courtesy of their own government...?

This is gonna turn around to bite 'em in the future.

But since WWII the Brits haven't acted with much common sense, anyway.

It could train the young Muslims, if they haven't already been trained...but conversely it could also train opposition forces.

I try to be an optimist.

Offline mountaineer

I wouldn't trust Rishi Sunak any farther than I could toss him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org