Author Topic: Libertarian Convention Thrown into Chaos Ahead of Trump’s Visit  (Read 3649 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Libertarian Convention Thrown into Chaos Ahead of Trump’s Visit
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2024, 04:16:28 am »
Hasn't the big-L Libertarian Party always been chaos, though? This is just par for the course for them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2024, 07:54:21 pm »
What else is new
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2024, 08:35:29 pm »
For me, it was Ron Paul and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Did the same in '88.  Voted Libertarian again in '92.  Bush Sr. was the anti-Reagan.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2024, 09:25:52 pm »
Did the same in '88.  Voted Libertarian again in '92.  Bush Sr. was the anti-Reagan.

And his son wasn't any better...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2024, 09:43:10 pm »
I was still too young to vote in 1964 but distinctly remember going out onto the front stoop of my parents' house and crying my eyes out when Goldwater lost to LBJ. Barry Goldwater will always be a giant in my mind.
I didn't cry my eyes out, but I still have my Goldwater Dollar, recall the AuH2O bumper stickers, and I became aware of the Dems shameless use of emotions and distortion to herd the masses with the 'Daisy' ad they used.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2024, 09:50:45 pm »
I was just a little kid at the time, but as an adult I've sometimes wondered how different things might have been had Goldwater been elected.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2024, 10:02:23 pm »
I was just a little kid at the time, but as an adult I've sometimes wondered how different things might have been had Goldwater been elected.
That timeline would be an alternate universe.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2024, 10:09:10 pm »
I didn't cry my eyes out, but I still have my Goldwater Dollar, recall the AuH2O bumper stickers, and I became aware of the Dems shameless use of emotions and distortion to herd the masses with the 'Daisy' ad they used.

I remember it like it was yesterday! The truth of the matter is that had Goldwater been elected the Vietnam war would have ended in three months or less and there would be no doubts about who won.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:11:23 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2024, 10:12:33 pm »

Fertile ground for a writer of alternate history.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2024, 11:02:20 pm »

You got that right.  No Great Society.  No Vietnam War.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2024, 11:06:16 pm »
I was still too young to vote in 1964 but distinctly remember going out onto the front stoop of my parents' house and crying my eyes out when Goldwater lost to LBJ. Barry Goldwater will always be a giant in my mind.

I trail you by a decade or so, but I did the same watching the GOP Convention in '76 when Reagan came up short.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2024, 11:18:59 pm »
The truth of the matter is that had Goldwater been elected the Vietnam war would have ended in three months or less and there would be no doubts about who won.

You got that right!  Goldwater was also a World War II veteran, a USAF Major General, and Command Pilot in the Arizona National Guard, and knew his business just like LeMay.  Complete no BS kind of dude!  And Johnson and his lackeys totally smeared him in 1964 with that "Daisy" nonsense.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2024, 11:39:37 pm »
Trump knew it was a tough room going in.  Yes, the room was pretty hostile, but he did OK under the circumstances.  This was a test of a different kind.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online LMAO

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2024, 11:43:58 pm »
You got that right!  Goldwater was also a World War II veteran, a USAF Major General, and Command Pilot in the Arizona National Guard, and knew his business just like LeMay.  Complete no BS kind of dude!  And Johnson and his lackeys totally smeared him in 1964 with that "Daisy" nonsense.

Was that "Daisy" ad really what did him in? The election was just a year after the assassination of JFK and Johnson was already the incumbent which are hard to beat

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline the OlLine Rebel

Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline DB

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2024, 12:12:20 am »
Do we like cryptocurrency?

It seems to me that the primary purpose of crypto is to avoid taxes.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2024, 12:13:49 am »
Was that "Daisy" ad really what did him in? The election was just a year after the assassination of JFK and Johnson was already the incumbent which are hard to beat

Admittedly, Goldwater had a tough fight to topple Johnson in the aftermath of "Camelot," but yeah, "Daisy" did a lot of damage by coloring him as a "warmonger," his libertarianism aside.

How the “Daisy” Ad Changed Everything About Political Advertising

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-daisy-ad-changed-everything-about-political-advertising-180958741/

'Daisy Girl' political ad still haunting 50 years later

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2014/09/07/daisy-ad-political-attack-remembered/15233151/

The irony of course is that Johnson went on to become the very warmonger that he accused Goldwater of being.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:15:53 am by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2024, 01:38:01 am »
The irony of course is that Johnson went on to become the very warmonger that he accused Goldwater of being.

Well, he's a Democrat, so . . .

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2024, 02:29:55 am »
It seems to me that the primary purpose of crypto is to avoid taxes.

And to conduct illegal activities.  I am in the nuetral, don't give a sh__ camp on it.    If people want to invest in modern 17th century Tulip Bulbs, that's their business
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2024, 04:32:22 am »
Watch the ad (I linked it upthread) from the viewpoint of a person looking on the world on the heels of the Cuban Missile Crisis...in the days of 'Duck and Cover', with Fallout Shelter signs on nearly every urban street corner.

Yeah, I'd say it had an impact, maybe not on the Right, but in the middle.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2024, 05:44:34 am »
Do we like cryptocurrency?

Libertarians liked to buy drugs with it mainly.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2024, 11:32:02 am »
Libertarians liked to buy drugs with it mainly.
I think a lot of them see it as a get-rich-quick opportunity too. Cryptocurrency stopped being meaningful for its intended purpose as a currency when speculators started using it as an investment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline American Girl

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2024, 11:37:12 am »
Make Asylums Great Again
Everyone should experience a Libertarian event where candidates are debating or being nominated. It will be a day you will never forget!
https://defiantamerica.com/video-normal-scene-from-libertarian-national-convention-heres-what-happens-to-a-transgender-delegate-who-crosses-the-line-during-trumps-speech/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2024, 12:36:24 pm »
The LP selected their presidential candidate.

https://twitter.com/gopher_marc/status/1794973132802982086
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:37:23 pm by mountaineer »