Author Topic: Memorial Day: Veterans Affairs will host nationwide ceremonies at more than 130 cemeteries  (Read 1357 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Memorial Day: Veterans Affairs will host nationwide ceremonies at more than 130 cemeteries

The Department of Veterans Affairs will host Memorial Day ceremonies at more than 130 cemeteries across the country to honor the service members who lost their lives defending the United States.

These events will include wreath-laying ceremonies, commemorative speeches, music, a moment of silence, and the playing of Taps.

"This Memorial Day weekend, we encourage Veterans and all Americans to join us as we remember and honor our nation's fallen heroes," Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough said. "We are forever indebted to the service members who gave their lives in service to our country, and we will never forget their sacrifice."

McDonough will speak at the ceremony at New York State Veterans Cemetery Finger Lakes on Monday. The community there is commonly recognized as the birthplace of Memorial Day.

Veterans Affairs chief of staff Kimberly Jackson will speak at Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on Monday, while Veterans Affairs Deputy Secretary Tanya Bradsher will speak at the Baltimore National Cemetery on May 30.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/memorial-day-veterans-affairs-will-host-nationwide-ceremonies-at-more-than-130-cemeteries/ar-BB1mYbCR?ocid=BingNewsSerp
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery...outside of St. Louis..

My dad and now my mother are buried here.....when my siblings were young we would go to Jefferson Barracks on Memorial Day..Scott AF Base in Il would send a plane loaded with flowers and they would drop them all over the cemetery...my brothers and sisters would gather as many as we could to put them on my dad's grave.. :crying:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:57:24 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

This picture hangs in my bedroom and I reflect on it every day.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This picture hangs in my bedroom and I reflect on it every day.

Welcome home brother!

I finally got to visit that place after trying six times previously.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 01:19:30 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
STEPHEN HOLDEN DOANE

CONFLICT/ERA: VIETNAM WAR
UNIT/COMMAND:
COMPANY B, 1ST BATTALION, 5TH INFANTRY,
25TH INFANTRY DIVISION
MILITARY SERVICE BRANCH: U.S. ARMY
MEDAL OF HONOR ACTION DATE: MARCH 25, 1969
MEDAL OF HONOR ACTION PLACE: HAU NGHIA PROVINCE, REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
CITATION
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Doane was serving as a platoon leader when his company, engaged in a tactical operation, abruptly contacted an enemy force concealed in protected bunkers and trenches. Three of the leading soldiers were pinned down by enemy crossfire. One was seriously wounded. After efforts of one platoon to rescue these men had failed, it became obvious that only a small group could successfully move close enough to destroy the enemy position and rescue or relieve the trapped soldiers. 1st Lt. Doane, although fully aware of the danger of such an action, crawled to the nearest enemy bunker and silenced it. He was wounded but continued to advance to a second enemy bunker. As he prepared to throw a grenade, he was again wounded. Undaunted, he deliberately pulled the pin on the grenade and lunged with it into the enemy bunker, destroying this final obstacle. 1st Lt. Doane's supreme act enabled his company to rescue the trapped men without further casualties. The extraordinary courage and selflessness displayed by this officer were an inspiration to his men and are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 03:30:57 pm by mystery-ak »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

I have appreciated this thread.  :patriot:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
1st Lt. Terry L. Davis
Panel 52 line 34

He was my best friend.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier’s tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.”

Joseph Rodman Drake

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 02:25:21 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien